This week I have been mostly playing...

Steve C

Re: This week I have been mostly playing...

Postby Steve C » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:49 am

Trix2000 wrote:See this? This is exactly what I was talking about. Interesting.

One of these days I need to actually pick up the game. I never managed to get too deep into DF in the past (largely due to not connecting well with the interface/visuals), but Rimworld seems like a more palatable romp through the same sort of madness.

Honestly that's just normal Rimworld play while min-maxing the mechanics a little bit. Properly interesting stories can be found on reddit at /r/TalesfromRimworld. It's the systematic failures that make for the good stories. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEJ6QymV7-o

Yeah I know exactly what you mean about DF. I tried DF for only about 10mins before I gave up. I really wanted to like it. Thankfully Rimworld is exactly what I wanted DF to be.

BTW a new Rimworld version just went out a week or so ago. The very first beta version- B18! It's only been in alpha up to this point. IMO A17 already felt like a complete game.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:02 am

If it's any consolation, we're ratifying a motion to let the Rimworld players push out the Dwarf Fortress players' ice floe first, before we push out the Rimworld players' ice floe.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:07 am

What about crusaders kings players ice floe?
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:39 am

Maintaining a low CKII player population density has been deemed necessary due to blobbing concerns; we don't want them going all "Umayyad" on us.

The WH40k players have graciously assented to push themselves out into space as soon as it is whatsoever practicable. They reassert this constantly and without provocation.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:00 am

So the only ones left for us to deal with are the dark souls players.I suggest writing "Loot at the bottom,safe to jump down 17'' to the left" at the top of the grand canyon.
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:13 am

All of this niche game player culling doesn't do anything about the zombie hordes of Fifa and COD players though.. Could we at least try and corral them somewhere? Leave them to their microtransactions and prestige levels until nature takes it's course?
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:26 am

Y'know, Darkwood, you're really not filling me with hope for the future when I examine an enemy after killing it and you have to specify that it was a small one.

Also, I have a small caliber pistol. I have small caliber magazines. Are you telling me that the one doesn't go in the other? Because you're not obeying your usual combining items rules. What, do I have to go to the wolf to tell me how to reload a pistol?

The Wolf wrote:"Meat... Seriously? Did you never- Did you even watch movies before the trees sprang up? ...You wouldn't happen to know an equally desperate but slightly less stupid sap I can deal with, would you?
John

Postby John » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:57 pm

. . . Civilization V. Is it weird that Civilization V is my favorite Civilization game? [1] I feel like I get Civilization V--or maybe that Civilization V gets me--in way that just isn't the case with any of the other Civilization games. [2] I'm not entirely sure what magic is at work here. Maybe I just found a set of social policies that really do it for me. [3] I suspect, however, that it's the global happiness mechanic. When I played Civilization IV, I never quite figured out the ideal timing for founding new cities. It was never clear to me what effects founding a new city would have on my tax receipts or the happiness of my existing cities. In Civilization V, I find that it is almost always financially rewarding to found a new city so that a quick check of the global happiness score is all I need to determine whether or not to start production on another settler. The happiness meter also tells me which wonders to prioritize. [4] The result is a strong, stable empire in the early game, well-developed cities in the late game, and usually--but not always--a commanding lead in technology. [5] I've been playing on Prince difficulty, which in another game series would probably be called Normal. I've reached the point where I almost always win, regardless of my starting situation. I would increase the difficulty, but it doesn't feel like I'm winning too easily. [7]

I also enjoy the one-unit-per-tile rule. I'm not going to claim that it's brilliant, but it does add a fun puzzle element to combat. I particularly like that it makes the map and terrain matter as something other than a collection of production bonuses for your cities. I have come to consider cities located on open plains as easy meat, whereas I have come to regard those located on peninsulae or, worse, next to mountains with a certain amount of dread. In the older Civilization games it really didn't matter [8] where a city was located as long as there was a space next to it to put a doom-stack.

This message has been brought to you by Footnotes. Footnotes, keeping John's paragraphs to a reasonable length since 2017. Ask for Footnotes in your favorite forums today!

----------

[1] I haven't played Civilization VI. And if you put a gun to my head and forced me to choose between Civilization V and Alpha Centauri, I'd choose Alpha Centauri.
[2] At least not since Civilization II. No, not even Alpha Centauri.
[3] Tradition. I used to go with Honor or Liberty but Tradition seems to support my preferred style of play better.
[4] The happiness wonders, obviously.
[5] A sufficiently blobbed-up enemy [6] can sometimes pose a challenge in this regard.
[6] The Mongols. It's almost always the Mongols. I think I've developed some kind of complex about the accursed Mongols.
[7] My last victory was actually rather nerve racking. I was playing on a Pangaea map and had three powerful neighbors with military technology just a step below my own. And that's after the centuries-long war to exterminate the Mongol menace.
[8] For purposes of combat.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:27 am

Doom stacks can certainly stay dead. I really did not like that design at all.
BizzzzaroEwok

Postby BizzzzaroEwok » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:15 am

Peninsula cities aren't particularly great on defense, although they're serviceable against AI at the difficulty you're playing. Not against humans or higher difficulties. True, the land approach is narrow. But the sea is usually more open, and you can attack, and take, cities with melee ships: Caravels, Privateers, Ironclads, and Destroyers. You can bombard them with ranged ships, although they don't get the promotion bonuses against cities that artillery does (but you can make up for it with sheer quantity and ease of maneuvering, compared to land bound, slow, fragile artillery).
djw

Postby djw » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:36 am

Narratorway wrote:Quake. As in the original. And for the first time ever, with the actual soundtrack!

Honestly, it hasn't made much of a difference. The music so ambient focused, that I often forget its there. I suppose there's something to be said for texture and to be fair, I've only played through the first episode so far, but still...it's not exactly gripping me.

I have very fond memories of playing Quake and its expansions 20 years ago. I'm not sure how I'd feel about playing it now. In any case, if I recall correctly, the music grows on you.

The expansions have a more aggressive metal sound track that you might like better. At least I think they did. Going from really old memory.

I liked Quake better than Quake 2. I liked the weird levels and and creatures better than big slow cyborgs, even though there was no rhyme or reason to them.
NegaRetsam

Postby NegaRetsam » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:21 am

I really like CivV and most of it's simplifications to the Civ formula, overall. I'm really not a huge fan of global happiness, though. I can see why they wanted to simplify that down from the CivIV version, but I just don't like how it works in practice.

Mostly it's the military conquests giving a huge penalty to happiness. I suspect it's deliberately an anti-blobbing mechanism, but I'm not a fan: it just feels like too obvious and non-sensical a punishment for success. Like if I'm Caesar and I conquer Gaul, it makes sense that all those Gallic cities are outraged and unhappy and unproductive, but it'd nonsensical that Rome in flames due to all the outrage against my successful military campaign. Worse, even, that one of the penalties to unhappiness is severe combat penalties: nothing destroys the morale of an army more than multiple decisive victories apparently.

---

I haven't played CivVI either; I'm excited that they've announced an expansion, though, because that means I'll probably be able to get the base game for a pretty good sale this Christmas, or at least the next major sale after that. Hopefully.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:21 am

VI fixes the global happiness thing, by the way, back to more individual levels.

Return to “Videogames”