DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Andrew

Re: DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Postby Andrew » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:53 am

Saw it. Loved it.

It does feel like the show should fast forward 10 years for next season and start on Batman season 1... but they are obviously not going to do that.

That said, there are still a number of Batman villains we haven't had a sniff of yet so there is still plenty of material to work with for season 4. Off the top of my head there is Bane, Harley Quinn (although one of the writers has been quoted as saying we have already seen her), Killer Croc and Black Mask. We have also only seen characters like Two Face and Scarecrow for less than a handful of episodes.

If I am not mistaken, season 4 was only ordered a few weeks ago. Usually late renewals are a sure sign of a show's near-deathness so Gotham may only have the 1 season left in it anyway.

That Solomon Grundy tease though. That's pretty epic.

Not sure whether Lee is coming back. They certainly left the door open for her to but I really hope she doesn't. Interestingly, a Wiki search shows that Baccarin is the voice of Gideon in The Flash but not, apparently, Legends of Tomorrow.

If nothing else, I want to see how Riddler escapes his carbonite prison!!
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:56 pm

Andrew wrote: (although one of the writers has been quoted as saying we have already seen her),

Really?I dont remember any notable psychiatrists*,jerome fangirls or unassigned women.Who did he refer to?

*Peabody maybe?But she is stranges lackey.Also dead,but thats just a minor hindrance in this show.

Andrew wrote: Black Mask.

He was in that episode with the hostages,where he dukes it out with gordon.Kc was teased amongst the mutants,I think.

Andrew wrote: That Solomon Grundy tease though. That's pretty epic.

If you like the character.Which I do.Both of them.

Andrew wrote: Not sure whether Lee is coming back.

I hope not.While I like the actress,and crazy lee was fun,they ruined regular lee too much.

Andrew wrote: If nothing else, I want to see how Riddler escapes his carbonite prison!!

The whole world fears me,but they still dont believe in me,I destroy the poles,and threaten all the shores.What am I?
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:59 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Really?I dont remember any notable psychiatrists*,jerome fangirls or unassigned women.Who did he refer to?

*Peabody maybe?But she is stranges lackey.Also dead,but thats just a minor hindrance in this show.

If I remember the quote correctly it was along the lines of "you will have met her by the end of season 3; she is hiding in plain sight".

My money is still on Babs (as you say, death is barely a hindrance in Gotham) as she is the only one who had the proper rapport with Jerome (who we are still assuming is THE Joker?) and personality.

Daemian Lucifer wrote:He was in that episode with the hostages,where he dukes it out with gordon.Kc was teased amongst the mutants,I think.

I can't remember that episode (re Black Mask). I'll take your word for it though.

I do vaguely remember something about Killer Croc, actually.

In any event, would love to see more Scarecrow. Two Face as well, since they spent a good portion of season 2 establishing the Harvey Dent character (shadows and all!) but then went nowhere with it.

Daemian Lucifer wrote:The whole world fears me,but they still dont believe in me,I destroy the poles,and threaten all the shores.What am I?

Global warming!

I googled it after I came up with the answer but can't find the riddle anywhere. Is it an original?
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:24 am

Andrew wrote:My money is still on Babs

But barbara kean is a separate character in the batverse,and so far they havent merged characters together like that.Same goes for lee.Also,I dont see either of the two as much of a submissive.The only one that would fit is the twice killed miss kringle/isabella.

Andrew wrote:I googled it after I came up with the answer but can't find the riddle anywhere. Is it an original?

I did think of it on the fly,so it probably is.Though I wouldnt be surprised if someone else thought of a similar riddle earlier.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:51 am

Ill bring the discussion back here:

Andrew wrote:
Daemian Lucifer wrote:You really have to either get used to the stupid or learn to ignore it,because it just piles up.But,if you can get past it,its really fun.Same goes for legends of tomorrow,which has even more stupid in it,if you can imagine that.

Did you ever end up watching season 2 of Legends?

I have actually.The first couple of episodes were really bad,so I stopped.But,then I randomly saw that malcolm merlyn was in later episodes,and I had to continue.It was rather enjoyable after those first few episodes.In fact,if we ignore the stupid,the way they brought a villain from flash into this and wove him in was pretty good.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:54 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Ill bring the discussion back here:

Andrew wrote:
Daemian Lucifer wrote:You really have to either get used to the stupid or learn to ignore it,because it just piles up.But,if you can get past it,its really fun.Same goes for legends of tomorrow,which has even more stupid in it,if you can imagine that.

Did you ever end up watching season 2 of Legends?

I have actually.The first couple of episodes were really bad,so I stopped.But,then I randomly saw that malcolm merlyn was in later episodes,and I had to continue.It was rather enjoyable after those first few episodes.In fact,if we ignore the stupid,the way they brought a villain from flash into this and wove him in was pretty good.

Yeah the Merlyn/Darhk/Eobard interaction were excellent. They were much better villains than Vandall Savage from season 1.

Legends of Tomorrow also really found it's own by embracing the cheese and campiness. In terms of pure enjoyment levels it is my favourite of all the arrow-verse shows.

Speaking of Arrow, Kirk Acevedo has been cast as one of the big bads for Arrow season 6! He plays a great villain so I am really excited about this one!!
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:25 am

Hey Andrew,theres new ham.I am definitely going to got ham right now.

Five minutes in,and I can already call this a great episode.This is definitely why I love this show.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:55 am

WHAATT???

ALREADDY? I thought it wasn't due out till October.

Thank you. You have made my night!
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:51 am

Finally got my serving of ham. And it was damn good ham too. Seriously, damn good, ham!

The Victor Zasz character is growing on me. I never much liked him in the comics but this guy is pretty good.

Find it hard to believe that Harvey is rolling over so easily. Would have expected more of a Jim-like response from him. Also half expecting it to come out that he was the one behind Gordon's beating down. Maybe..

The ending was probably the weakest point (with Bruce, not Scarecrow - the stuff with Scarecrow was excellent). How long is that plot likely to last? Half an episode at best, I would guess.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:03 am

Flash is back!!

I didn't think it was the best premiere but certainly not the worst either.

I'd suggest it's probably too much to ask that Barry's positive demeanour lasts the entire season.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:29 am

Andrew wrote:Flash is back!!

Legends as well.This time I have decided to outright binge that one.That way Ill avoid being disappointed by the first few episodes.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:31 pm

This is stupid.Who would think of a duck when....ohh....well played show,nice lamp shading.

Awww,they got rid of the riker beard.Why didnt they keep the riker beard?

Doctor snow and mistress ice?Heh,thats nice.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:27 am

Wow,dinosaurs are deadly.Even when they are nothing but bone.

Damn it gordon,she said TRUST ME,not THRUST IN ME.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:01 am

I saw Legends. I liked it. It was gloriously stupid and full of charming little plot holes.

I saw Arrow too. I was well on my way to hating it until the last 5 minutes. Oliver being unmasked brings an unknown factor to the show that it has been lacking for some time. If they renege on their cliffhanger promise and re-mask Oliver I will be mad.

I already hate William though.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:01 pm

1000 times sped up version,and in two seconds he covered over two episodes of game of thrones?That is the least plausible thing the flash has ever done.He shouldve only seen half of one episode in that time span.

And you know whats the weirdest thing?I am actually somewhat bothered by that.Yet the elevator thing,which I also know is impossible for numerous reasons,I dont mind at all.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:26 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:1000 times sped up version,and in two seconds he covered over two episodes of game of thrones?That is the least plausible thing the flash has ever done.He shouldve only seen half of one episode in that time span.

They've always played hard and fast with the rules of Flash's speed powers though.

Like when he burst into the room and had enough time (no more than 1 second in real time) to individually catch every single piece of shrapnel before it hits anyone but in the episode before it took him 10 seconds (real time) to run up that not-very-long windmill blade.

I hate this episode, for what it is worth. Felt more like an episode of Sex and the City than a superhero show. And while I didn't mind Iris in the premiere last week her "why the hell did you leave me Barry" was utter nonsense. Gee, I don't know, Iris. To save thousands of people maybe??? Terrible writing. Feel sorry for the actress having to work with such dross.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:25 am

Andrew wrote:Like when he burst into the room and had enough time (no more than 1 second in real time) to individually catch every single piece of shrapnel before it hits anyone but in the episode before it took him 10 seconds (real time) to run up that not-very-long windmill blade.

The whole scene with the windmills was weird.He crosses the field so slowly,but then runs up a falling windmill really fast.But that didnt bother me either.They rarely put a number to his speed,so I usually dont mind.What bothered me about the tv thing is that they did put a number to it,and it was a wrong number.A nitpick for sure.

Andrew wrote:Terrible writing.

Actually that was one of the few real human things.She even admits that her emotions are irrational.And thats precisely how such events would play out.You know that what youre feeling is irrational and stupid,and yet you feel it.Like how when someone dies you can selfishly feel that they left you,or when someone devotes themselves to you you can jealously feel that they would leave you for someone else,or how you can be afraid of a harmless spider,or be able to climb a 30 meter thin tall poll,yet terrified of climbing a mere 2 meters tall ladder,etc,etc.And they resolve it by talking,which is actually a good thing.Even though how they got to that talking was the standard cringe worthy therapy moment.

Anyway,I saw some ham.Nice grundy stuff.Also surprising ra's stuff.Surprising and welcoming.And then surprising ending stuff,surprising and unwelcoming.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:24 pm

Andrew wrote: If they renege on their cliffhanger promise and re-mask Oliver I will be mad.

How can you be mad after that batman joke?It was a good joke.

Andrew wrote:I already hate William though.

Yeah,but the kid has a point.Oliver is on the path to make him a full orphan.Not that he is much better now anyway.

On to episode two!

Holy shit,oliver just set a guy on fire and left him to burn to death.Did they decide last season that they are all ok with just slaughtering people?Because I missed that.Im not complaining,Im just surprised that they dropped that whole crap.

Sql or java?Ugh...fine.

Thermal read four warm bodies?Inside a freezer?Umm....sure,why not.

Tetrodotoxin?Antidote??!And its delivered via injection?!!....Just....No!Bad show!

This is stuff you can find on wikipedia in five minutes.Ugh!

"I dont want to know what this is for"...Its a freaking puffer fish poison.Lots of idiots are eager to try home made fugu.This cannot be the first time someone has asked you for the imaginary green antidote(and why is it green anyway?)

And seriously,would it have bee so bad to have the guy puking his guts out or coughing instead of just being dazed and scaly?

"Im a soldier dinah.Soldiers push through",ok this has become my pet peeve.Since when are soldiers taught to be macho assholes who hide stuff from their team mates?I thought soldiers are trained to lay down their lives to help their team.They should never endanger their team like this,especially not over some petty bullshit like "Me man!Me no show pain!".

"You are a...son of a bitch!" ok show,that was another good joke.I needed that.Thank you.

"What the hell has happened to you",um...moron,he is a russian MOBSTER.You do know what mobsters do?Idiot!

And that ending."I cant risk my life because my son needs me.But you are expendable,and your child will be fine without you".Well,at least that one is consistent with the douchebag queens character.Its a good scene I admit.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:31 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:"Im a soldier dinah.Soldiers push through",ok this has become my pet peeve.Since when are soldiers taught to be macho assholes who hide stuff from their team mates?I thought soldiers are trained to lay down their lives to help their team.They should never endanger their team like this,especially not over some petty bullshit like "Me man!Me no show pain!".
You, uh, really don't get military culture.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:23 am

Haven't yet seen this week's Flash and I can feel a bit of a break coming on because I'm really not enjoying this teen drama thing they have going on at the moment. I mean, yeah, they've always had it, but it's as if their mandate this season was to aim for a younger demographic and I'm just not enjoying it so I'm thinking that maybe a break and then binge watching 5-7 episodes in one go will make it seem better.

I have seen Arrow though and although it's apparently tanking in the ratings I really enjoyed it. I'm glad the plot with Diggle isn't over - halfway through the episode I was thinking they would go with "oh it's not the nerve damage that's causing the shakes but your mental wellbeing instead" - that would have been lame. So I guess Oliver, Felicity and William are just 1 big happy family now? I wonder how many episodes that will last??

Still no sign of a big bad whatsoever and that's excellent in my books.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:29 am

Andrew wrote:Haven't yet seen this week's Flash and I can feel a bit of a break coming on because I'm really not enjoying this teen drama thing they have going on at the moment. I mean, yeah, they've always had it, but it's as if their mandate this season was to aim for a younger demographic and I'm just not enjoying it so I'm thinking that maybe a break and then binge watching 5-7 episodes in one go will make it seem better.

What they did to poor wally was such a dick move,and one of the stupidest way to get another harry.Really really bad.

On the other hand,the way they introduce new metas is nice.And hey,the main bad guy is not a speedster,thats also nice.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:27 pm

Huh....Ive actually enjoyed the third episode of arrow.Genuinely,unironically,enjoyed for the story,the pacing,the cinematography,the choreography,the whole package.Thats really surprising.And the only problems I have with it are due to all the baggage it has from everything that came before.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:06 am

Andrew wrote: I'm thinking that maybe a break and then binge watching 5-7 episodes in one go will make it seem better.

It actually gets better in third and fourth episodes.And the fourth episode has Danny Trejo in it,making it even betterer.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:47 am

The fifth episode...Not that good.A bunch of stupid things going on.But,there are a few good things as well:Who knew communication is a good thing and keeping secrets is a bad thing*?

Using a meta as a source of drugs?Now that is a really interesting thing.More superhero stuff should use metas as neither heros nor villains,just regular people doing regular stuff**.Sadly,the ruin it in the end with two things.Firstly,the guy is an idiot(par for the show,I guess).Secondly,of course he HAS to become a villain.We cant bring up a new meta without doing something SPECIAL with them.

At least Katee Sackhoff had some fun.

*And yet,even with that stunning revelation,they STILL keep a bunch of stupid secrets from each other because....Well they are all idiots.
**Though crime and kidnapping are not that regular,but still more regular than the usual fare.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:44 pm

Which one of you bozos transported me to bizarro earth while I was sleeping?Because there is no way that on my earth flash is bad and arrow is good.Come on,fess up.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”