Order of the stick

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Supahewok

Re: Order of the stick

Postby Supahewok » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:49 pm

I mean, let's be real. They're not beating Xykon. Or they're not doing so in a way that prevents the last gate from being opened. The Snarl has had waaay too much build-up as a mystery to not be resolved.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:45 pm

They arent going to beat xykon.But monster in the dark might.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:38 am

Wow.The new comic show how smart durkula can be.I completely forgot about that little detail.Well played.
Galad

Postby Galad » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:09 pm

Hm. It's been 4 years or so, I think, since I last checked this webcomic out. I don't even remember what was the last thing I read from it, though I'll probably remember old, key moments if I see them. How much have I missed?
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:35 pm

Galad wrote:Hm. It's been 4 years or so, I think, since I last checked this webcomic out. I don't even remember what was the last thing I read from it, though I'll probably remember old, key moments if I see them. How much have I missed?

Its safer to just start from the beginning and reread the whole thing.

But lets see...four years ago was in the middle of elans dad saga,I guess.That got wrapped up,and another thing,and a few new stories have started,so quite a lot.Lets say around 400-500 strips.Though there were quite a few double ones.Oh,also an art upgrade.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:12 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Its safer to just start from the beginning and reread the whole thing.

Agreed, and it's a good read anyways.

No I haven't reread the archive like ten times in the past why do you ask.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:27 am

And so another fiasco starts...
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:52 am

The latest update is very interesting because I think it's the first time in the entire comic that Burlew has made a definitive statement about what a character's level is (even if the manner in which he said so was somewhat subtle). Forcecage has a duration of 2 hours per level. 34 hours divided by 2 means level 17, which would be enough to cast possibly narrative breaking 9th level spells... Except that Blackwing's "shiny's" special ability is treating a wizard's spells as one level higher when calculating effects. Which would make Vaarsuvius 16th level, and able to cast 3 level 8 spells per day (one of which must be the Evocation type). The vampire's attack gave them (I've always been convinced that it's a her, but whatever) a negative level, which from what I'm reading doesn't exactly mean an entire lost level, but rather for spellcasters it means that they lose a single spell of the highest level they can cast. So Vaarsuvius is down to 2 8th level spells.

I only bring up this topic on D&D mechanics because I think it's a bit of subtle Burlew foreshadowing that for once I can see coming. He's always been very against setting his character's abilities in stone so that he could maintain a degree of narrative freedom without asshats screaming at him about how he's "doing D&D" wrong. So for him to do just that explicitly indicates to me that that very set of mechanics will be narratively relevant, or that he at least is covering his ass for some later twist that certain 8th level spells would undercut (I picked up some of the books at long last to read while clicking through an online defensive driving course, and in his commentary he mentions having to balance his narrative with the abilities of his characters, particularly of the spellcasters; an example of this was when the party entered the Windy canyon and Durkon hadn't memorized the proper spell to allow easy passage through because he confused which homograph the name of the canyon was).

...Actually, I just remembered that Mind Blank is an 8th level spell, and it was brought up just a few comics ago as the primary means that the party could use to defend themselves from the vampires' Domination vision. As a nonEvocation spell, V could have memorized a max of 2. This scene is an excellent means of establishing the possibility that V has lost one of them, leaving only a single casting for the climatic battle. Given that Belkar, Elan, and Haley are all probably susceptible to being mind controlled, and Roy has been shown to at least struggle against it, only being able to cover 1 of them is gonna be some dramas.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:01 am

Okay, you got all that out of it, which is cool and actually really impressive.

But this is the coolest OotS strip in recent memory for me, just because of the problem introduced: they're delayed from their super-time-critical mission, stuck in a cube just large enough to hold all of them, for twenty thirty-four hours, with no obvious escape, surrounded by a swarm of vampires! That's one of those strips that makes you unironically hoot, "Oooooh, how are they gonna get out of THIS one?!"
JadedDM

Postby JadedDM » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:06 am

Can V just not choose to dispel the cage whenever they want, regardless of duration? Or is that not a thing in 3.5E?
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:19 am

Addendum: if you know any easy, anticlimactic methods of dealing with the force cage, the time issue, the vampires, or what happens when someone in the cube needs to use the bathroom, please hold your peace, or you will make me sad.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:22 am

The spell description doesn't say that the caster can dispel it at will, but Burlew has twisted spell descriptions before; for instance, there isn't anything about Evil creatures not being able to use Protection from Evil (and actually very good reasons for them to do so; it's a key protection spell when summoning demons, for example), yet in his story Belkar's brooch burns him when active.

Well, lucky for you, Rocketeer, that you finished posting before I did. I've spoilered the following paragraph just for you. You could read the first sentence for a clue, if you want.

However, they have a way out, and it's actually already been shown in the comic. Disintegrate has long been shown to be one of V's favorite spells, and as the battle with the Psion showed, Disintegrate will destroy a Forcecage (Psionic abilities similar enough to spells are treated as essentially the same thing). I suppose Burlew could throw in the twist that V hasn't memorized Disintegrate since their... incident with the gents downstairs, but that's impossible to blindly guess at the moment, other than that I don't think they've casted it since.

Edit 2: Now that I think about it, V probably does not have Disintegrate memorized, but the party is fully protected so they can wait 8 hours for them to prepare it. The guard cleric said that it was "after midnight" when they first tried to enter the town, and the next strip said elections were midmorning. We can guess that means the Order arrived about 8-9 hours ahead of the vote, and the re-memorization would push them to race against the wire, so that's probably what will happen to fit with how this strip usually does things.
Edit: ~Ooooh, I went back to the strip where they discussed Mind Blank and V said they already cast it once on themselves for the day... leaving one casting of it, which might have just been drained. Negative levels say that spellcasters choose the spell they lose, so it's a toss-up whether V kept the Mindblank or the Evocation spell.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:19 am

Whether they can easily get out of the cage or not is irrelevant when they are also surrounded by a horde of vampires.Maybe theyll show off roys great cleavage once more?
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:17 am

New one: Eeeeeveeeerything is totes fine. They certainly have this one in the bag.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:41 am

Or more appropriately,in the box.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:50 am

And they seem to have gathered quite a crowd of followers for the unboxing event.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:15 pm

Well you cant say that they made no progress,since negative progress is still SOME progress.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:55 pm

I am sad that literally nothing I said mattered.

Damn you Burlew! Even when I can see it coming, I can't!
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:02 am

Ive been thinking....what if V lied about the fireball and its actually lightning they have quickened?They are smart enough to think ahead like that,even though they are often too arrogant to even conceive of their enemies being intelligent.But recent events shouldve at least reduced that arrogance.

Other out there ideas I can see are the demons interfering,because they care about the gates*,and they have a big asset still alive in this world,so they might not want to see it destroyed.

Also,what about teleportation?Does it work through the forcecage?

*At least,thats what it seems like.Its hard to tell with devious ones like those three
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:07 am

V doesn't know Teleport. It's a Conjuration spell. V''s mentioned a few times in the comic that they can't learn Conjuration spells. So that Burlew has a reason why the party has to go on journeys.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:19 am

Whelp, looks like we have a new winner of the "longest running Chekhov's gun" award.

The best part was that I guessed it about halfway down the page when she casted Turn Undead from off-panel, so I spent the remaining panels thinking "No, there's no way. He didn't! He wouldn't!"

And even though I was right, the last panel still wowed me. This is quite the twist, isn't it.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:22 am

Indeed.I was suspecting the return,but not like this and definitely not the baby.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:01 am

Anyone mind giving a reference when did we last see this character?
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:02 am

Trix2000 wrote:This is quite the twist, isn't it.

Is it? I've completely forgotten who that is and why they are important. I've been reading from the start. It's just been going for years and years.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:22 am

84 is the last time we saw her.39 is when she,and the rest of the linear guild,was introduced.Man,the stories were short back then.

Steve C wrote:It's just been going for years and years.

Thats why the obsessed smart of us reread it periodically.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”