Star trek

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Daemian Lucifer

Re: Star trek

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:28 pm

The way of the warrior!No,not the HammerFall song,the ds9 episode.Though I am humming the song every time I read that title.

Anyway,klingons may have been turned into stereotypes by trek after the original,but I liked most of the episodes with them.This two parter is no exception.

Also,comparing hu-mans to root beer is so funny.Its always great how well crafted the observations of these two outsiders about humans are.
John

Postby John » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:38 pm

It's funny. I was so outraged when DS9 introduced the Klingon plot and brought Worf on to the show. I considered it a tastless and transparent grab for ratings and I was afraid that the Bajoran and Cardassian stories I liked so much would fall by the way-side in the newer, more action-packed DS9. In retrospect, I'm not entirely sure whether that happened or not. There were still Bajoran and Cardassian stories, many of them quite good. But the context in which those stories took place changed quite a bit, and the Bajoran episodes in particular lost a little something in the process. In the first few seasons, in episodes like the first-season finale or the multi-part "The Circle", it's clear that while the Cardassians are still dangerous the Bajorans are now their own greatest enemies. I thought it was fascinating to watch the Bajorans try to put together a stable, effective, and forward-looking government amidst the aftermath of generations of oppression by the Cardassians. I really wanted those crazy kids to make it, you know? But once the Klingons showed up and the shooting started, episodes about Bajoran politics became less common and tended to emphasize Bajor's precarious position as a small, independent planet near a strategic wormhole actively contested by the galaxy's Great Powers. That said, there were still some excellent episodes about Bajoran society and culture, my favorite being when an ancient Bajoran poet comes out of the wormhole and is horrified to discover that Bajoran society is no longer caste-based. I think that the Dominion war plot was definitely good for Cardassian episodes, as it brought us such arcs as "Gul Dukat, Freedom Fighter" and "Damar, Resistance Leader." ("Yes, Damar. What kind of people would do that?") Oh. Yeah. And the Klingon stuff was okay too. Disappointed as I was by the turn the series took, even at the time I had to admit that the fourth season had what was probably the series' best to-that-point--and in hindsight perhaps best-ever--average episode quality.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:13 pm

The "It was all just a dream" is often considered to be the worst kind of a story you can make.Which is warranted.But then,there are stories like the visitor,which is essentially just a dream that no one will know anything about(except it will very loosely impact The Sisko).And yet,its a great story.Because its not about that alternate future,not about that dream.Its a character story,an exploration of loss,hope,and (not) dealing with grief.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:43 pm

Trills were always interesting to me,even though trek does not explore such a species in any actual depth.And anyway,goa'uld are the (slightly) less ridiculous parasite of that kind.But there are a few trill episodes that got etched deep in my brain.Rejoined is one of them.I liked it back then as a teen*.But now that Im older and have actually experienced such a thing,both from the inside and the outside,I like it even more.Though I wish the supporting cast were a bit more proactive.It really sucks being in such a situation,but thats precisely when you need your friends to push you that little bit extra.

In fact,a great parallel can be drawn between rejoined and hippocratic oath.Miles may have done a terrible thing in that one,but he was precisely the kind of friend julian needed at that moment.

*No,not because of the lesbian kiss.That was never my thing.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”