Psst there's a good deal on the internet

SleepingDragon

Re: Psst there's a good deal on the internet

Post by SleepingDragon » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:32 pm

@Supahewok I really like that selection. Not sure you're aware but I'm led to believe There Came an Echo is actually a narrative sequel to a rhythm game (of all things) called Before the Echo (formely Sequence) from the same studfo.
The Rocketeer

Post by The Rocketeer » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:13 pm

While the sale is still on, I wanna plug Dragon's Dogma, which is going for 12 bucks right now. I know everyone's probably either played it or decided they aren't interested by now, but it's a unique, wonderful game that seems like it was made specifically to be one of some very specific little group of gamers' favorite games ever. I know it won't be a hit with everyone actually it seems just as likely you'll get facerolled by bandits two hours in and then stop playing, but I want everyone that might love it the way I do to at least have a shot at it. I get a little jolt of excitement whenever someone new picks up the game, and I think that speaks volumes.
Supahewok

Post by Supahewok » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:23 pm

I, too, shall give something else a plug. Just ran across this. Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun. "Hardcore tactical stealth real time strategy game " set in the Edo period. Looks like a take on Syndicate/Satellite Reign, only in Medieval Japan. I'd get it, if I hadn't already bought enough games until the next summer sale. Wishlisted it, though. Looks nice. (30 US bux)

If nothing else it makes me really, really happy to have a reminder that modern isometric strategy/RPG's with great production values aren't a passing fad (hopefully).
SleepingDragon

Post by SleepingDragon » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:02 am

RE Dragon's Dogma: I did not care for the trash mobs, or the resource gathering and item crafting system but it *really* scratched my "fight a big boss" itch. There are few things that I like more in this type of game than being able to fight a huge monster, chop its pieces off, make it collapse and so on and so forth, the game is absolutely lovely in this manner. Narratively it's also a delightfuly Japanese game and it has a good couple of interesting story bits that are out of the way or require the player to think outside the box (or get clues from the internet). (Also, thank you Humble Monthly)

And since people seem to be doing this whole plugging thing I'm going to throw in my favourite overlooked gem Immortal Defense*. It's a indie Tower Defense game that made it to Steam years after the original release, it has weird graphics and is somewhat flashy (especially in later stages when there's a lot happening) so seizure warning I guess. Where it does shine though is the story. It begins innocently enough with what seems like another pretext TD plot "aggresive aliens are invading your homeworld, go into hyperspace-by-any-other-name and use your mental powers to build defenses there" but beneath it is a really powerful narrative. Also, the developer added a buch of features, such as challenge maps, when putting it on Steam and still fiddles with the game from time to time. Unless you really dislike TD games I'd say check a video to see if the visuals don't put you off (don't worry if you're not sure what is going on, like I said, it's a bit flashy but it's easy to keep track of things when you're actually playing) and otherwise I highly recommend it.

*Can't actually link to the store page since I'm at work and Steam is blocked.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Post by Lachlan the Sane » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:16 am

Of course, the greatest thing to come out of Dragon's Dogma is the adventures of Randy Johnson and her tiny exquisitely throwable baseball son Panpan.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:01 am

Supahewok wrote:I, too, shall give something else a plug. Just ran across this. Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun. "Hardcore tactical stealth real time strategy game " set in the Edo period. Looks like a take on Syndicate/Satellite Reign, only in Medieval Japan.
If you are familiar with the old commandos games,this is basically it,but with samurai and ninjas instead of brits and yanks.30 moneys is not too much for such a good game.If you are into tactical stealth games.
Wide And Nerdy

Post by Wide And Nerdy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:41 pm

And its over. Last game I bought was Nex Machina. Hope its good.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:51 pm

Wide And Nerdy wrote:And its over. Last game I bought was Nex Machina. Hope its good.
I was looking at that one a few times,but it never quite grabbed me.So looking forward to your opinions about it.
Wide And Nerdy

Post by Wide And Nerdy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:26 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:
Wide And Nerdy wrote:And its over. Last game I bought was Nex Machina. Hope its good.
I was looking at that one a few times,but it never quite grabbed me.So looking forward to your opinions about it.
So far its filling that niche of "I don't know what I want to play next so I'll play this." I've got a bunch of games like that now, Life Goes On, Marvel vs Capcom, 20XX, Rogue Legacy. I suck at bullet hell but even on easy this one is hard for me so I suspect the higher difficulties will satisfy challenge junkies. Aside from that, its a pretty game with a nice fast pace.
SleepingDragon

Post by SleepingDragon » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:01 am

Sooo, the next Humble Monthly has Pillars of Eternity, can anyone tell me how good and/or important storywise the White March DLC is? After the Steam sale I don't really have a lot of money for unscheduled game purchases but I don't like coming back to a game months later only to play a DLC...
Supahewok

Post by Supahewok » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:45 am

I don't think White March adds anything to the main story; some things that were added to the base game with it seem to have come in with patches rather than with the expansion, so they're available for all. Gameplay-wise, you'd have to give me a week, but somebody else here might have a more informed opinion.
Wide And Nerdy

Post by Wide And Nerdy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:59 pm

SleepingDragon wrote:Sooo, the next Humble Monthly has Pillars of Eternity, can anyone tell me how good and/or important storywise the White March DLC is? After the Steam sale I don't really have a lot of money for unscheduled game purchases but I don't like coming back to a game months later only to play a DLC...
If your concern is fleshing out the story, White March takes place during the game but its not part of the main story. But for that matter, neither is the mega-dungeon really. Its a good story but it doesn't do anything for the main story.

You can play Pillars, decide if you want more Pillars, and buy the White March if you want more Pillars.
The Rocketeer

Post by The Rocketeer » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:33 am

Jotun is free on Steam at the moment.
John

Post by John » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:01 pm

There's a new Humble Telltale Bundle over at HumbleBundle. $15 will get you just about every Telltale game I've ever heard of--and several I haven't--except for the only Telltale game I actually care about, Strongbad's Cool Game for Attractive People. Though I suppose that might be one of the games in the beat-the-average tier that will be revealed later. The pay-what-you-want tier includes Sam and Max, Puzzle Agent, a couple of games I've never heard of, and the first season of Walking Dead.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:43 pm

Saints row 4 is free to play today,and can be bought for 4 moneys in the next two days.Go get em!
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:19 am

Xcom 2's expansion, War of the Chosen, is $30 USD this week at Green Man Gaming.

It's not exactly a good deal as it's still horribly overpriced, but it's better than Steam's preorder price of $40 USD.
Ringwraith

Post by Ringwraith » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:02 pm

An expansion being half-ish the price seems about standard though?
In the UK, £35/£40 is the equivalent of $60. (ish, on PC).
War of the Chosen is £35.
The actual base game is also £35.

Similar situation in Euros.
Yeah, no idea what's going on there.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:13 pm

Xcom 2 is free to play for another day.I didnt like it,but thats a sweet deal if you dont own it yet.Its an ok game.
Ringwraith

Post by Ringwraith » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:20 pm

Oddly enough, apparently the expansion does seemingly inexplicably paper over a bunch of flaws it had by adding loads of things.
Possibly too many things, but also means you've got far more variety so timed missions aren't as frequent, and many timed objectives are more soft objectives rather than total failures.
Drifts away from feeling like a scrappy resistance group to more of assembling a team of mortal superheroes, however.
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:20 am

The devs have said that it's so huge it apparently could have been Xcom 3.

I suppose if that's true it would justify the high price point. Personally, though, I'm more excited about the fact that they have optimised the game even further to reduce the gunfire stutter and crazy long load screens.
Humanoid

Post by Humanoid » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:05 am

More importantly though, how does it compare to the other XCOM expansion, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle?
The Rocketeer

Post by The Rocketeer » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:48 am

Monaco is free on Steam right now; the giveaway is over tomorrow, so snap it up.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:33 pm

Theres a sale of stardock games on steam this weekend.

Id recommend practically all of them,but specifically offworld trading company,sins of the solar empire and galciv 3.

Though I must admit that the way their games are listed is....a little bit weird...Seeing how the bundles that include everything are tucked all the way down the page,while incomplete stuff is on top.
John

Post by John » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:41 pm

There's a new Humble Bundle out. The theme this time is Australian games. I'm not all that familiar with most of the games in the bundle, but I do own Satellite Reign and it is awesome. The bundle also includes Crawl and Armello.