Movies are cool as well

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Thomas

Re: Movies are cool as well

Post by Thomas » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:53 pm

We've been watching different 70's, 80's sci-fi :p

EDIT: Although looking through a list of 70's and 80's sci-fi films, there was Alien as one other example of this done well. But other than that and some horror films which aren't set in the future, you're in Logan's Run territory

Narratorway

Post by Narratorway » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:44 am

I'm also in the territory of Westworld and Outland, so yeah clearly there's a MMV issue. And yeah, both me and my dad were surprised when we found out LR was released in the 70's. That film looked more 60's than Planet of the Apes. Hell, Disney's Black Hole was released in the 80's, but you wouldn't know it from its 50's era cast!
Thomas

Post by Thomas » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:00 pm

Well Silence was my Oscar pick. Shows why they don't let me pick the Oscars.

To be fair, I didn't actually necessarily believe it would do well in awards season, just that it deserved too. Silence is so intense that I actually saw a couple walk out of the cinema half way through. And it's about religion, and so that means that both non-religious and religious people can have a hard time buying into it if it doesn't line up with their world view. Its actually interesting watching those people go up against this film and try to make space for the fact that Scorscese is an acknowledged genius directory and you can't dismiss him or a film he's made. It's led to interpretations of the film going all the way from "It's about why priests are fundamentally flawed" to "It's a pedestal for true faith".

That might even be how it should be. Scorscese has never spelled out his films and Silence is relentlessly real, complexities and all.

I came away from it feeling like it's one of the most sincere films he's ever written. Apparently he's being making the project for 30 years and I could believe it. It feels definitive. Normally he writes films about tearing people apart (Wolf of Wall Street etc), this time I thought he was taking some actual people who the world had torn apart and built them back up. And the dedication at the end seems to agree with me. On the other hand, Film Hulk Critic is super smart and he believes that it's a great film about tearing people apart again.

It made me hopeful and happy, and the film itself was brutal and despairing. So whilst I think it deserves to be the clear cut awards season winner, I think it might be too much for awards to handle.

EDIT: My actual Oscar pick is La La Land, because if you always back Hollywood to choose the film about how awesome Hollywood is, you'll find yourself doing pretty well in the long run. The Artist, Argo, Shakespeare in Love...
Thomas

Post by Thomas » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:37 pm

You know how there's always that one guy who talks about how Big Hero 6 is amazing and you don't really believe them?

You should believe them.
Steve C

Post by Steve C » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:06 pm

I watched Arrival. I did not like it. It knew what it wanted to be and I cannot fault it for that. Narratorway hits it on the head here:
Narratorway wrote:It's slow, quiet and kinda plodding to be honest, but I don't see how it could have been anything else without compromising what it was trying to do, sooooo...*shrug*
As entertainment it seems to be missing a climax or something. Maybe because I had an inkling what the reveal was going to be early on. I expected that to lead to something else that was interesting. Nope. It's like Contact in that it builds up and up to some highly anticipated payoff that just doesn't come. Plus the music really got on my nerves. I almost watched in the theater and I'm very glad I did not. I would have gone from not liking it, to full on loathing it if I had seen it in the theater.
4th Dimension

Post by 4th Dimension » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:14 pm

Steve C wrote:I watched Arrival. I did not like it. It knew what it wanted to be and I cannot fault it for that. Narratorway hits it on the head here:
Narratorway wrote:It's slow, quiet and kinda plodding to be honest, but I don't see how it could have been anything else without compromising what it was trying to do, sooooo...*shrug*
As entertainment it seems to be missing a climax or something. Maybe because I had an inkling what the reveal was going to be early on. I expected that to lead to something else that was interesting. Nope. It's like Contact in that it builds up and up to some highly anticipated payoff that just doesn't come. Plus the music really got on my nerves. I almost watched in the theater and I'm very glad I did not. I would have gone from not liking it, to full on loathing it if I had seen it in the theater.
I like the idea that everything that goes wrong in Barry's life is a deed by an evil speedster. "Now Barry, where is your homework?" "An evil speedster took it and ate it"
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:17 pm

4th Dimension wrote:
Steve C wrote:I watched Arrival. I did not like it. It knew what it wanted to be and I cannot fault it for that. Narratorway hits it on the head here:
I like the idea that everything that goes wrong in Barry's life is a deed by an evil speedster. "Now Barry, where is your homework?" "An evil speedster took it and ate it"
And Ive tried everything.I went back in time to stop him,but then the school caught on fire.I set that correct,but now I have only 4 fingers on my left hand.
Steve C

Post by Steve C » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:39 am

Post to the wrong thread?
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:48 am

Steve C wrote:Post to the wrong thread?
Indeed.You should go back in time and warn us in advance.
Narratorway

Post by Narratorway » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:00 am

No, this is a good segway. Split.

Every reaction gif! AALL THE REACTIONS GIFS! EVERY REACT THAT EVER DARED TO TION IN GIF FORM OR OTHERWISE!!!

"ARE YOU FUCKIN--" Narratorway 2017

I stopped because I realized I was seated smack dab between two old ladies in the theater but holy fuck that last shot!

How?

How do you do it Mr. Shayamalan? How do you even physically function in society with balls the size of yours? I'm not even going to tell you if the movie's good or not! That's beside the goddamn point! I can't even think of anything right now over the sound of that Philly phuck's raw unfiltered audacity! It's not a 'twist' ending in the strictest terms, but I'll be gonaded before I believe anyone will see it coming!
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:17 am

Why is "and suddenly,time travel" a thing that everyone is losing their shit for these days?
grahams_xwing

Post by grahams_xwing » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:45 pm

T2: Trainspotting

Danny Boyle is a damn fine director if you are after this type of film. Happy to rip your heart out whilst wowing you with awesome visuals and fantastic soundscapes and paying the fan service all at the same time.
It's a straight up '20 years later' sequel that just about works as a stand alone, but you wont get some of the scenes without seeing the original, even though it introduces a 'neutral' character for them to spout their exposition at. The reuse of 'Lust for Life' and the remix of 'Born Slippy' wouldn't hit with the same affect, nor would the reuse of some of the shots such as the grin through the car windshield, or the feet hitting the ground as an opening shot

Robert Carlisle is fantastic in it. Ewan Mcgregor plays a good mid life crisis and Tommy Lee Miller/Ewan Bremner play their caricatures to great effect.

Doesn't hurt that Anjela Nedyalkova is stunning :)
Thomas

Post by Thomas » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:38 pm

Can you explain the name to me? (As in the 'T2', bit)
Thomas

Post by Thomas » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:08 am

So its: 'Trainspotting 2 Trainspotting' ?
grahams_xwing

Post by grahams_xwing » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:37 am

I heard an interview with Boyle who said they just wanted to call it T2 but the studio pointed out that while Terminator 2 was never called T2 (and therefore they were legally allowed to call it that) you'd never be able to google it - you'd always get Terminator hits as it's so commonly referred to as T2.

So they added the 'Trainspotting' on the end - I think Boyle's aware of it's absurdity.
Narratorway

Post by Narratorway » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:10 am

Shoulda called it Trainspotting 2: Train Harder
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:01 pm

Trainspotting 2:Spotting trains.
SpammyV

Post by SpammyV » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:50 pm

2 Trains 2 Spotting.
Thomas

Post by Thomas » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:32 pm

2rainspotting
dudecon

Post by dudecon » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:09 am

Trainspotting: Electric Twogaloo
The Rocketeer

Post by The Rocketeer » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:25 am

Train Spotters 2: The Legend of Begbie's Gold
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:15 pm

So,about lego batman,mild but very vague spoilers ahead:

I recognize the rest are wb things,but doctor who?What does wb have to do with the doctor?Or are doctor who comics a property of dc?
Thomas

Post by Thomas » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:51 pm

I've been watching a couple of Chinese films (and taking a gander at all that soft power attempts). I finally watched Ip Man, which had mixed reviews from some people and fantastic ones from others. I can firmly come down on the side of fantastic. This is the third Donnie Yen film I've watched in recent months (XXX3, Rogue One and now Ip Man) and Donnie Yen is one of the hottest film stars out there right now. The guy radiates charisma and is also a legitimate heir to Jackie Chan, although taking a drama side over comedy. Like Chan he fills his fighting with a ton of expression, whilst looking awesome.

The other was The Three Kingdoms. I'm fascinated in the idea of One China because it's so foreign to Europe. Chinese culture modern and historical (or at least the modern interpretation of history) is full of this idea that peace is good, but to have peace you must have One China with one ruler. The Three Kingdoms was full of lines like "They are the enemy of peace", but, unlike so many others, actually made good on the hypocrisy in those words. Yet in the text at the end they still seemed to celebrate the clan who finally conquered all of 'China' and brought peace, through conquest. Hero has similar ideas, and of course both the Taiwanese and Chinese governments overtly talk of One China and that they are it.

The problem being of course that the definition of 'China' is a bit fluid and they are happy to start saying that X country is actually China when they're in a position to invade it.

But anyway, that's so weird from a European view. When we make films about great conquerors, it's more about the conqueror and not this idea that the natural state of all the countries is to be One Europe. Freedom in Europe is breaking countries up not joining them together, and when we do join together it's something like the Holy Roman Empire or the EU, where it's a coalition of independent bodies making compromises together. The UK struggles to even be a 'United Kingdom'. A lot of the modern European countries have barely been countries for a lifetime - Italy is more like a collection of independent regions and cities squished together. Germany had maybe something like the idea of 'One Germany', because it has been a collection of different countries who always held onto the idea that they were connected to each other. But that was mostly about Germanic speakers and nothing like the scope of One China, which spreads across a bunch of different languages and cultures.

Of course I don't know how genuinely historical the idea is. It occurs to me that it is convenient for a country that has only recently passed through a bunch of quasi-civil wars to latch onto the idea that they've been meant to be one country forever.

But this is why I enjoy watching Chinese films. There's so much different meaning and context layered into them than the films I'm used to. Also, they sure do love flashing back to earlier parts of the film for dramatic effect.
Steve C

Post by Steve C » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:19 am

I watched Nocturnal Animals. Well 20mins of it. It had very good reviews. No idea why. It was terrible. By 15mins I thought it was merely bad but was just starting into something interesting. That 'something interesting' turned into horrendously awful.

Serious question- Why does this movie have positive reviews? Also why does every movie have Amy Adams in it?