Welcome thread?

Talk about the site itself. It's so meta!
TheWillroar

Re: Welcome thread?

Postby TheWillroar » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:06 pm

Steve C wrote:
Daemian Lucifer wrote:Finally,someone we can personally blame for when hollywood screws up.

Shamus?

At least that's how I read the cause and effect here.

Hey, Shamus should now be held accountable for what I do with the interests and inspiration he helped foster.

Much like I should not be held accountable for the reality TV shows and indie features I work on. Just because most my jobs revolve around protecting their media and making sure they able to be made should not make me an accomplice to their creation.

Which sounds flimsy when I write it out. But I suppose pinning a scarlet letter and pretending only two years of D.I.T., media management, and commercial editing work makes me an expert on all things Hollywood around here sounds pretty fun anywho.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:20 pm

Oh that's what you work on? You deserve a slice of cake!
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:19 am

To be fair, I've worked with the best theatre director in Australia (I was a sound tech, and it was terrifying that he actually understood what I was doing), and his day job is Neighbours. You gotta pay the bills somehow.
Grey Rook

Postby Grey Rook » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:26 pm

Greetings, strangers. I am Grey Rook, and I have been lurking on the blog for several years. I honestly can't remember what originally brought me here - it might have been DM of the Rings, it might have been something else. You might think of me as a tourist, being obnoxious to the locals whenever my cloaking device fails.

I originally joined because I wanted to talk to mister Young in private, but that plan fell through for unrelated reasons. I occasionally lurk on the forum, but not very frequently.

I am very much a nerd; I spend a great deal of time on the internet, whether reading or gaming. My taste in games can be described as broad - I enjoy a variety of genres including RPGs, FPS, TPS, TBS, Sandboxes and shoot-em-ups. I am also a scrub, so don't expect insightful commentary.

I think that will serve as a summary. Pleased to meet you, stranger. I'm sure we'll find a reason to hate each other, sooner or later.
Kelerak

Postby Kelerak » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:51 pm

Grey Rook wrote:Greetings, strangers. I am Grey Rook, and I have been lurking on the blog for several years. I honestly can't remember what originally brought me here - it might have been DM of the Rings, it might have been something else. You might think of me as a tourist, being obnoxious to the locals whenever my cloaking device fails.

I originally joined because I wanted to talk to mister Young in private, but that plan fell through for unrelated reasons. I occasionally lurk on the forum, but not very frequently.

I am very much a nerd; I spend a great deal of time on the internet, whether reading or gaming. My taste in games can be described as broad - I enjoy a variety of genres including RPGs, FPS, TPS, TBS, Sandboxes and shoot-em-ups. I am also a scrub, so don't expect insightful commentary.

I think that will serve as a summary. Pleased to meet you, stranger. I'm sure we'll find a reason to hate each other, sooner or later.

Better late than never, welcome to the club!
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:22 pm

Grey Rook?As in neither white nor black?

Gorse

Postby Gorse » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:56 am

Hello all, I'm Gorse. Found the site through the Diecast, found the Diecast through Errant Signal. Yes.

I like video games. I like anime. I, on occasion, even like writing. Thanks for having me.
Kelerak

Postby Kelerak » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:34 pm

Gorse wrote:Hello all, I'm Gorse. Found the site through the Diecast, found the Diecast through Errant Signal. Yes.

I like video games. I like anime. I, on occasion, even like writing. Thanks for having me.

I misread your name as "Groose" for some reason, and I can't explain why.
Zukhramm

Postby Zukhramm » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:26 pm

Hey!

I'm totally a new user who just happened to stumble upon this site. I hope I'm welcome in this community.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:32 pm

Ooh, a wild Zukhramm sighting. Get your Ultra Balls out for this one!
Alchemist64

Postby Alchemist64 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:20 am

Hello all!
You may have seen me in the comments on the blog posts, or in the chat during Spoiler Warning streams. I've been lurking on the forums as a guest for some time now, but tonight I finally decided to make an account.

I am a CS undergrad residing in the Midwest. I like video games, anime/manga, books, and fiction writing (I started with short stories, and after the first I still have yet to finish another one, several years later).

Pleasure to finally formally meet all of you!
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:19 am

Alchemist64 wrote:Hello all!
You may have seen me in the comments on the blog posts, or in the chat during Spoiler Warning streams. I've been lurking on the forums as a guest for some time now, but tonight I finally decided to make an account.

I am a CS undergrad residing in the Midwest. I like video games, anime/manga, books, and fiction writing (I started with short stories, and after the first I still have yet to finish another one, several years later).

Pleasure to finally formally meet all of you!

Welcome, try the punch.... WideAndNerdy definitely didn't spike it....
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:47 pm

Figured I'd do a "Hi, I'm back" post. Been away from the forum for, what, six months? Between the new baby being born, studying for a big government certification test, moving to a new job, and the holidays I've gotten out of the habit of visiting.
Looks like things are as sleepy as usual around here. Sorry I missed the kick-off of the Microscope thread. Glad to be somewhere that isn't all aflame over the USA political climate.
So, Hi! I'm Paul Spooner. It's good to be back.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:27 pm

Those are some big life events :)
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:33 pm

The Rocketeer wrote:Ooh, a wild Zukhramm sighting. Get your Ultra Balls out for this one!

The wild ZUKHRAMM ran away...
axcalibar

Postby axcalibar » Wed May 03, 2017 7:44 pm

dudecon wrote:
axcalibar wrote:My profession is graphic design.

It also seems that the cobbler's children go unshod WRT your avatar.

I'm aware this is very "And another thing...!" being a couple years after the fact, but I just logged back in, so... what the heck. Yes, at the time I tried to use my standard avatar, but couldn't get that to upload due to file size limitations. I eventually settled for what would upload after I had spent what felt like too much time on something so trivial.
So what's with these accusations that the community here makes people feel unwelcome? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ecto_stantz_tial

Postby ecto_stantz_tial » Fri May 12, 2017 1:12 am

Hello, I was here for a short time as ChristopherT, and then went quiet for a while, I'm back, with a new name (smugly buffs name tag), just thought I'd say hi.
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Fri May 12, 2017 4:31 am

ecto_stantz_tial wrote:Hello, I was here for a short time as ChristopherT, and then went quiet for a while, I'm back, with a new name (smugly buffs name tag), just thought I'd say hi.
Welcome back! If you'd like to keep your association with your old posts, you could probably get the ChristopherT username changed. We just recently started the thread for that, just above this one IINM.
ecto_stantz_tial

Postby ecto_stantz_tial » Fri May 12, 2017 5:43 pm

Interesting. I was a mod on a smallish-medium sized message board back in 2003-2005, and that'd come up every now and then, people wanting to change their usernames, sometimes after a few months, and sometimes after a week or two. Thankfully anyone could/can change their own avatars. Although I don't feel married to my old posts, but thanks for the heads up.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Sat May 13, 2017 2:53 am

ecto_stantz_tial wrote:Interesting. I was a mod on a smallish-medium sized message board back in 2003-2005, and that'd come up every now and then, people wanting to change their usernames, sometimes after a few months, and sometimes after a week or two. Thankfully anyone could/can change their own avatars. Although I don't feel married to my old posts, but thanks for the heads up.

I've been in a board where we could change our display names, and we mostly just used it to play pranks on each other :)

For a quick example; the board's founder was called Madlep, and his signature was "No, you're looking for the other Madlep". At one point, Madlep went on holiday for a couple of weeks, so I immediately changed my display name to "The Other Madlep" and my avatar to a colour-inverted version of Madlep's avatar, complete with the signature "No, you're looking for the original Madlep". This kind of exploded into people calling themselves "Madlep 2.0" and "Peldam" and "Madlep's Second Cousin Twice Removed" with various terrible edits of Madlep's avatar. It was glorious.

Return to “Welcome, Announcements, and Questions”