RWBY

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Thomas

Re: RWBY

Postby Thomas » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:23 pm

And there I was thinking the penultimate episode was the darkest moment in the series.

Try watching the last episode of this one and then watching the like thirty seconds of the first episode of the first series, it's hard to believe they came from the same place.

That totally didn't satiate my Ozpin fight hunger though, it made me want it even more, he better have a mindblowing showdown at the end of all this.

Qrow is officially my favourite character now too.
JadedDM

Postby JadedDM » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:07 pm

Hmm, so:

Ozpin = Wizard of Oz
Salem = Wicked Witch of the West?

Also, apparently Qrow is a shapeshifter?
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:13 pm

We are ignoring the most important question revealed in this episode though:

What's the new team name?

RJNR?
JNRR?
JRNR?

My personal theory is that Ozpin pioneered the method of team selection based-on-what-anagrams-you-can-make-from-their-initials and that without him the whole system has come crashing down.
alexshiro

Postby alexshiro » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:49 pm

The show lost me at the S2 finale and didn't really get me back all season. I hope I'll love it again next season, but this was ok at best in my eyes.

I think the main things they need to fix is to get a better fight guy (they should totally poach the DeathBattle guy imo) and a decent player (this got really powerpointy whenever the action got too actiony).

I hope they resolve the WBY situation fast and don't drag it across the whole season. Especially with Yang, I'd hate it if they made "Yang has no arm" a big drama thing next season right after showing the extremes prosthetic tech has gone in the setting. I see them either getting that out of the way by episode 3, or holding her back to be the cavalry. I hope they go with the former and leave the cavalry role to Penny. I think she should come back (second best girl) and she could because backups. I just visited her wikia page and it seems everybody who visits her wikia page has the same idea.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:34 am

alexshiro wrote:I think the main things they need to fix is to get a better fight guy (they should totally poach the DeathBattle guy imo) and a decent player (this got really powerpointy whenever the action got too actiony).

Yeah, that's probably a sad impact of losing Monty Oum, considering in many storyboards action sequences were denoted by things along the lines of "Monty action ensues".
They've really stepped up their facial animation range though.

They post 'em on Youtube a week later by the way. You can also watch it on Crunchyroll if you have a subscription for them (otherwise you can't get HD-ness).
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:14 am

Thomas wrote:Try watching the last episode of this one and then watching the like thirty seconds of the first episode of the first series, it's hard to believe they came from the same place.

This is sort of an odd statement, because the first thirty seconds or so of the first episode, and the last scene (pre-credits) of this episode seem like they're literally part of the same conversation: the beginning the first episode is now pretty clearly a conversation between Salem and Ozpin.

The tone difference between S1 and S3 is definitely true... though honestly, I think the anomaly is actually S1. This show has always had a fairly dark and sinister tone to it... everywhere except the show itself. The trailers were all on the gloomy side; the entire "Grimm's Faerie Tale" aesthetic doesn't lend itself to cheeriness, and the lyrics to the songs have always painted a much darker picture than the show itself.

I pointed this out at the end of S1, with regard to the lyrics specifically. Even the S1 opening has lyrics like "hope and peace are lost forever", (Which isn't quite as dark as "the pool of blood the innocents will lay in when in the end you fail to save them", but still far darker than S1 actually was) and Red Like Roses Part II's lyrics are downright tragic.

So I guess my point is that while we're a long way off from S1, it's always been pretty clear that we've been heading this direction; though I do think the transition could have been handled more smoothly. Oddly, thinking back, it's really season 2 that seems a bit forgettable to me; they got the production values right in S2, and they established Jaune/Pyrrha but otherwise it didn't really move the plot along much that much.

---

It's kind of fun reading back through this thread from the beginning, actually. Thomas, you said early on that you wanted the big bad to "devastate a city". So I blame you for this season's ending. Thanks for that.

---

Found this on reddit.

---

Sidenote, I meant to point out in the last episode the irony of having Ironwood and Qrow in the same scene where Ironwood has a metal arm and leg and Qrow's voice actor is Edward Elric.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:59 am

Retsam wrote:
---

It's kind of fun reading back through this thread from the beginning, actually. Thomas, you said early on that you wanted the big bad to "devastate a city". So I blame you for this season's ending. Thanks for that.

---

Oops :p I'm glad I wasn't complaining about it happening I don't want to be like a sports fan/eve fan/wrestling fan/everyone who knows exactly what should happen to fix everything and then immediately starts complaining about it if they actually do it.

Also oops on the thirty seconds thing as you pointed out, those 2 minutes prove categorically that this was all the plan from the beginning. That Ozpin Ruby conversation in the same episode makes even more obvious that Ozpin is playing a game now we know just how familiar Ozpin is with Qrow. "I've only seen only one other Scythe wield of that skill before, a dusty of old Qrow." "Oh that's my Uncle Qrow... I was complete garbage before he took me under his wing. Now I'm all..." "So I've noticed". You could tell at the time from the facial animations, but it's so much more obvious now.

So that's now changed to middle thirty seconds of the last episode and middle thirty seconds of the seconds episode :)

Although my sisters and I have liked to make the joke about just how wise a first lesson launching all the students into the sky and making them figure out a way to land was :p I don't think there's a lesson they've taken closer to heart
Last edited by Thomas on Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:08 am

Well, Pyrrha was the name Achilles used when disguised as a woman once... (and all of JNPR's members are based on opposite-gender versions of people who cross-dressed as a disguise at some point). Speaking of Achilles, even ignoring how much an arrow through your ankle cripples you ability to do move or actually do much at all, he was hit by a poisoned one, by someone who couldn't aim, hence hitting him in the ankle instead of anywhere else, if I remember rightly, been a while.

The tonal shift is clearly something they had planned from the beginning, seeing as that's what the viewer discretion disclaimer mentioned, they never thought they'd so popular with many younger viewers, and it wasn't made, or would be affected by going forward, with them in mind. It is what it is.
After all, we've had about a season and half of what would be a normal anime series split across three years? They're sort of on track, it's just they're making shorter bits at a time than what we'd generally be 'used' to.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:22 pm

I've been watching some old seasons of RWBY and you have to hand it to Yang, she's really good at unarmed combat.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:17 pm

Thomas wrote:I've been watching some old seasons of RWBY and you have to hand it to Yang, she's really good at unarmed combat.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:34 pm

Don't worry, it was just a one-off
alexshiro

Postby alexshiro » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:18 pm

Who else is hoping RWBY chibi isn't an aprilfools?
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:25 pm

Hmm I dunno, I'm worried a Yang chibi would look a little stumpy
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:48 pm

These jokes are really getting out of hand, Thomas.

... but yeah, I'd hope that's a real announcement. It's really scummy to fake announce something that's 1) entirely plausible, and 2) that a lot of people would love to see happen; and I think RT is smarter than that.

---

EDIT: Looked into it a bit; and I found a very reputable source (it definitely wasn't a YouTube comment) that said that RT doesn't do April Fools jokes; they were founded April 1st 2003, so it's a day they use for serious announcements and not jokes. So, yeah. 95% certain that this is actually going to be a thing that happens.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:35 am

That's cool, I really hope it is happening then :)
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:01 pm

So RWBY Season 4 is starting; technically started almost a week ago, but if you don't have a RT Subscription (which I don't), the first episode will be available tomorrow.

They put out a character short a few weeks ago (basically just RWBY beating up some Grimm); it looks like the art-style is fairly different; it's got a lot more of a 3D feel to it this time. It'll probably grow on me, but I'm still in the "it's different so it's weird" phase right now. (Assuming Volume 4 has the same style as this short, at least)

There's also new 'World of Remnant' shorts, and these are actually pretty good: they actually give some information about the four Kingdoms that they've been alluding to throughout the show, and Qrow makes a better narrator than Salem. The narration reminded me of the Bastion Narrator, and that works a lot better than Cinder's overly "mysterious" narration while describing the world's equivalent of cellphone towers.

Also, RWBY Chibi did end up happening: I didn't watch all of them (sketch comedy isn't my favorite thing in the world), and they're a bit hit-and-miss, but there were some good jokes in there. Given where the actual show left off, some laughs might be a good thing to have before the new episode drops tomorrow.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:00 pm

I think Ozpin did the second round of encyclopedia episodes. They've have a different person for every batch.

But yeah, they changed their software of choice for 4, and it's what Chibi's also done in. I sneak-peeked the new episode, and it's funny seeing how they've evolved their animation in the little things, improving with each year on them.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:13 pm

The tech level is weird for this season right? People are in modern homes using recognisable every day tech (like TVs) instead of super futuristic worse-than-what-we-have-now tech (like fuzzy hologram communicators), but it's also way more medieval than we've seen before, particular in their China shots.

I don't know how I feel about this season so far, on the one hand that scene with Jaune and Pyrrha's recording is legitimately the best writing RWBY has ever put together, but on the other hand the plot and character groupings are all weird and I'm finding it hard to settle in. Part of me just wants RWBY instead of RNJR. Each episode feels too short, which I guess is great because they're actually fairly lengthy, its gripping enough that I don't notice the time going and want more.

I can't judge the fight choreography either. I think it's better? But the plots opened up so wide and so much more involved that the show is struggling to build to the clean focused moments you need for a fight to feel truly badass.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:42 pm

Although the 'medieval' bits seem to be restricted to the non-cities, because they're not cities and have a habit of vanishing.
Their pacing is a bit scattered, they have many plot threads and not enough time to hit many of them at once.

What I always notice getting better every year is their animations in the non-action scenes, only just improving at those.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:44 pm

Qrow nonchalantly deciding that his fists are for punching just might be the most badass moment in RWBY yet. Or maybe that bit he did with the sword.

Qrow in general is crazily cool, I love the legacy aspect of RWBY, the older team of counterpart heroes who are just a whole level better than RWBY. I wish in this season RWBY had stuck together and that it was Qrow's Qrew that were following in the side stories. At the moment the Weiss sections just tell you about Weiss. RWBY isn't long enough (or well written enough - good though this season is) to be able to have so many scenes that just support one character and don't interact off the other. The Yang sections are handicapped because we don't see Ruby and Blake and Weiss around to react to her situation. Even in the Ruby sections, the only other full character is Jaune. Qrow has depth but has to be mysterious, Nora is the punch (hammer?) line and Ren is - well I'm sure we'll find out what Ren does any day now.

I always thought the RWBY/JNPR thing was stretching the show a little beyond its capacities. W/BS/Y/O/RNJR is way beyond.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:30 pm

Yeah; I've been enjoying this season; but assuming the show keeps it's usual 12-episode seasons, my fiancee and I are halfway through the season (we're an episode or two behind), and very little has actually happened. A pair of forgettable fights, some character development, but mostly it's just been six episodes of establishing all of the different plot lines.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:04 am

It's clearly straining the ambition against its own runtime.
I suspect it would run a lot better when watched in quick succession.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:40 pm

So Volume 4 is done, and, yeah, it's a fairly "meh" season. Generally it executes well on what it's doing... but what it's doing is basically all just setup. It may as well have been "Volume 5 Part 1". It reminds me of the Volume 1 days where each episode was split in half and so every other week was a fairly dull setup episode: I have to imagine Volume 5 will make the Volume 4 setup worthwhile, but it does make for some fairly dull watching right now.

I'm not sure what the solution would have been, except for "Don't split your storyline into six different threads", I guess.

---

Thomas wrote:... on the one hand that scene with Jaune and Pyrrha's recording is legitimately the best writing RWBY has ever put together,

Honestly, for me, that was one of two parts of this season that just felt way too on-the-nose, along with RWBY's letter at the end of the season: the Pyrrha recording didn't feel like a natural thing for someone to say in a training video, and the letter at the end just felt like too much of a "narrating the show's themes to the audience" sort of deal.

---

But speaking of "on the one hand", I ended up liking Yang's thread, a fair bit: mostly because of what they didn't do: after the first episode I was expecting an entire season of Yang angsting over her arm, but I was pleasantly surprised that they resolved that pretty quickly and the season was more a bit of reflection on her character, in general.

Weiss's thread wins the "most forgettable of the forgettable" award.

Blake's thread is about the only thread that had any humor to it, (thanks Sun) so it was nice, from that standpoint.

Well, back to the hiatus life, I guess. Hopefully Season 5 will be a bit more exciting.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:36 pm

Pretty much, too many plates, not really going anywhere.
Mind you, that's probably to be expected at this point, as it sort of took two years to get a proper plot rolling. Now we've finished the start of a second act.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:09 am

I think the writing was a step up again, the fight choreography was decent, but the plotting was just way down.

You look back at season 4 and ask, what happened? Nothing really. If Ruby had taken a motorbike or airship like Yang or Weiss, she'd have arrived at Mistral 11 episodes earlier. There was some character development for Ren, Blake, Yang and Qrow which was all good stuff, but the season began with RWBY splitting up, and it ended with them joining up again. Literally the only plot that happened was when they cut away to the villains.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”