This is Not a Test

Talk about nerdgames FOR NERDS.
Boatmurdered

This is Not a Test

Postby Boatmurdered » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:33 pm

Hey everybody. I'm a long time reader of the blog, and I just found out their are forums. So that's nice. I decided to make an account, and the first thing I wanted to bring up was this really cool table top game I've just gotten into called This is Not a Test.

I mostly bring it up for two reasons; the first is that the maker is a small independent dude. Just a guy. The second reason is it's really actually quite fun.

The basic premise is a fallout-esque after the end world, with the canon setting being the tri-state wastesland, which encompasses parts of Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia.

Mechanically, you the player take control of a small warband of the wastesland, and you play other players. Right now there at 7 factions, 6 in the main book and 1 in a free suppliment released for halloween. The starting warband is usually somewhere between 5-8 models, and the maximum warband size is 20. The creator intentionally wants to keep it small.

And I admit, while the game itself is fun, it's also really fun to come up with a team of personalized dudes. They can get injured, even die. But that is part of the enjoyment of giving them personalities and backstories in the first place.

For example, I made a mutants list, led by a psychic lord (that's the character class). His name is Lawrence, and he's kind of a butthead. He insist everyone calls him Lawrence, or sir, and generally thinks he's the greatest thing since non-radiated bread.

His second in command is named Gerald, but only Lawrence calls him that. He's laid back and relaxed, and is the guy who actually 'leads' the warband while Lawrence is busy showing off. He insist everyone call him "Jerry".

It's really fun. I'm trying not to sound like a shill. I'm not associated with it at all outside of as a player, but it's a small thing and I'm trying to get it exposure to people who might appreciate it.

Also now I'm trying to think of a way to make a homebrew RPG using it as a setting. Hrm.

Anyway, if anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them or try to get an answer for them.
dudecon

Re: This is Not a Test

Postby dudecon » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:31 am

I normally wouldn't construct the sentence "Welcome Boatmurdered!" for both the linguistic and DF contextual reasons, but you've arranged a situation in which it is called for.

So, this "This is Not a Test" game (named for the emergency radio broadcast phrase?) is a role-playing game? Or a system? What are the core mechanics?
Boatmurdered

Re: This is Not a Test

Postby Boatmurdered » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:28 pm

It is named for the phrase yes. As I said, it's set in a fallout-esque world, so the bombs have dropped, alongside the nanites, the chaff bombs, and the nanite swarm (beware the nanite menace!).

It's a tabletop game, a la warhammer, bolt action, hail caeser, bloodbowl, etc. actually. Just focused on a very small group with narrative play encouraged.

It works on a D10 system, with I think the only D6 involved being the occasional "spawn this many random things", and scatter dice, which can either be a d10 or an actually scatter die.

Most of the things in the game involve a test, or opposed test, and all individual units have stats.

The stats are: Type, movement, melee, ranged, strength, defense, wounds, mettle.

Type is the "type" of creature, human, mutant, critter, basically. Movement is how far they can move in one move, measured in inches. Melee is used in melee checks, ranged in ranged checks, strength in strength checks, defense to defend against things, wounds is how many HP they have, and mettle is a catch all term for mettle, agility, intelligence, etc.

There are 7 test listed in the book. Activation, agility, intelligence, survival, and will, are all based on the mettle of the model.

So for example, if Bob the Raider wants to climb a wall, that's an agility test (MET/TN 10). That means it's a mettle test, with a Target Number (Think DC) of 10. Raiders have a mettle of 5, so I have to roll a 5 on the dice to get bob to climb.

If Bob wants to hit the enemy, he has to make an opposed melee test. This is simply, look at the enemies melee, look at your melee. You both roll a d10 and add the total to your melee. So if the enemy has 5 melee, and bob has five melee, and bob rolls a six while the enemy rolls a 2, Bob hits.

The damage is done the asme way. Look at their defense, which is often modified by equipment against certain forms of attack, and add the d10 to it. So if Bob hits for 6 strength (there are things that modify this), and Joe the enemy has 6 defense, it's a flat dice roll. Whoever rolls highest wins, and if Bob wins, he wounds Joe.

One thing the game does have is critical success and failure. If you roll a 10, you always succeed in the action, no matter what the modifiers are. If you roll a 1, you always fail, no matter what the modifiers are. Depending on what you're rolling for, this can have different and dangerous effects, such as jamming a weapon, for example.

Is this all straightforward so far? Do I need to explain something more?

I ask because I'm kind of new at explaining a system like this so I'm not quite sure whats expecting of me :) Didn't mean to sound snippy there if I did.

Return to “Tabletop Games”