Alright, it's time to finally begin the actual game.
The game works like this: each round begins by a player being designated as the Lens. This is based on the turn order (I am the first Lens, then mwchase and so on).
* The Lens determines the current focus, which can be anything - for example, a character, a country or even an abstract concept.
* The Lens creates two nested additions to the timeline (meaning, a new event inside a new period or a new scene inside a new event) that are related to the focus.
* The players take turns creating one period, event or scene each until the round ends. Each addition must relate in some way to the round's focus.
* The Lens designation passes to the next person in the turn order and the process repeats.
There are some more thing that take place in the transitions between rounds, but I'll explain those later.
As mentioned, I am the first Lens. Our first round will be focused on shadow magic.
For my turn, I am creating an event in the start period: On a clear summer day (which would later come to be known as The Day of Living Shadows), Uemer performs a massive demonstration of shadow magic in Carintia, the capital of the declining Averian Empire. This prompts the Averian leadership to dedicate the entirety of the empire's dwindling resources to the research and mastery of shadow magic.
In addition, I am creating a scene in the new event.
I suppose that this is the ideal time to explain what a scene is. A scene is a specific moment in history, which, instead of being unilaterally created by a single player, is shaped through a collaborative effort by all players. More specifically, the players roleplay characters in order to answer the question posed by the scene's creator.
In order to set up a scene, a player must describe the following:
1. The Question - a specific question which serves as the goal of the scene. The scene stops as soon as it's answered. The Question for this particular scene is:
Why did the Averian leadership become obsessed with shadow magic?
2. The time and place - When does the scene happen in relation to the event (and any prior scenes)? Where in the world does it take place?
This scene takes place in Carintia on The Day of Living Shadows.
3. Required characters - the scene's creator can specify up to two characters that must appear (and be played by players) in the scene, these can be specific characters or general descriptions (e.g. a guard, someone wearing sunglasses, etc.). The required characters for this scene are:
- Lilian IV, Empress of Averia
4. Banned characters - the scene's creator can specify up to two characters that can't appear in the scene. In this scene, they are:
- Anyone from outside the empire.
- Any non-humans.
Now that the scene is properly set up, players claim (or create) characters on a first come, first serve basis (no turn order). The creator picks last.
If you want to create a character that wasn't previously established in the history, provide a 2-3 sentence description of them.
Also, keep in mind that if there are required characters left after most of the players picked their character, the remaining players will have to pick a required character.
If you have any questions or require clarifications about any of the above, don't hesitate to ask.