Microscope Game Thread

Text-based gaming!
mwchase

Re: Microscope Game Thread

Postby mwchase » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:46 pm

Do you mean "step on" as in "contradict" or "step on" as in "be similar to"?

Because in the former case, I don't see a contradiction, and in the latter case, I think we have different goals, at the very least.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:50 pm

I meant "stepping on the toes of". Stupid typing on phone.

The way I was looking at it, you stated that you want magic to have "this part of a system," only for me to go on and say "make it all a system, which we can discuss later." Which in that case, makes your turn redundant in hindsight, and wasted? I just don't want to overstep my bounds, which I think I've already done a bit in this game.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:15 pm

I dont see it as redundant.Its just a limitation to the magic.It wouldve been redundant if magic was banned by someone else.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:22 pm

IMO, I laid out a specific set of restrictions on what can happen, regardless of whether magic itself is generally a system or something unstructured.

The rules say "No one should be unhappy about what winds up added or banned on the Palette."

Personally, I'm fine with requiring a system, as it implies certain affirmative statements about the moment-to-moment activity of the world ("Magic has the potential to become a pervasive and well-understood part of society."), whereas mine was more quasi-reactionary ("Throwing babies off of cliffs to see if they get superpowers will never be a viable course of action in this setting.").
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:26 pm

If it's cool, it's cool, then. Just wanted to be sure.

I don't know the rules of this game, which Question said was fine at the start, but it's leaving me a little apprehensive with my contributions. Should the system be devised through Scenes during the game proper? Like, if it's based on elements, on true names, or on constellations? Or will there be another intermediary step where we come up with that?
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:45 pm

Question is doing one thing slightly differently from the rules I have, but it's probably for the best.

In any case, here's stuff about palettes:

Add something to the Yes column if you think the other players would not expect it to be in the history, but you want to be able to include it.
Add something to the No column if you think the other players would expect it to be in the history, but you don’t want it included.

So, I'd probably paraphrase yours into something like "No wild magic"

I believe the rules of the magic system would be laid out in Scenes. Someone could, for example, introduce a pioneering magical researcher and chart their progress over time.

But the way this all goes is, we have a Big Picture ("An apparently mundane disaster has far-reaching consequences."), a start and an end ("A few powerful factions begin rebuilding in the wake of disaster." to "The planet becomes sapient and mobile.", which gives the idea that something magical is going to be going on here.) Now that we've laid out the very broad strokes of the scenario, we're noting specific things about it:
The Palette is not an exhaustive list of what will be in the history: it’s a list of exceptions. If something fits the setting (like wizards in a fantasy world), you probably don’t need to add it to the Yes column because the other players already expect it. Likewise if something seems really out of place (like wizards in a science fiction history), you probably do not need to add it to the No column unless you think other players want to include it. When in doubt, discuss.

Anyway, the flow of things from now is: we finish the palette whenever. From that point on, all decisions are unilateral: what the current player says, goes. We have one round of adding periods and events, no scenes, and then normal play, based around adding periods, scenes, and events, begins.
Lachlan the Mad
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Mad » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:19 am

I'm going to say no to easy FTL travel. That is to say, FTL is allowed, but it can't just be "push this button to travel to the other side of the galaxy" (e.g. Star Wars). If there is going to be FTL, it has to be either highly dangerous (e.g. the Warp from Warhammer 40K) or highly dependent on a specific set of rules and conditions (e.g. the Ansible from Ursula Le Guin's novels -- which allows FTL communication but not travel, and can only operate if at least one end of the link is on or near a gravitationally dense object).
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:42 pm

I have a proposal for this phase(and similar phases):Instead of waiting for each others turn,why dont we all go whenever we are available,and use the ordering just in case of a conflict?
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:24 pm

That makes sense in a tabletop setting, but this is asynchronous. That's actually the change that I alluded to; in the tabletop rules, everyone goes whenever in this context. But on a forum, it's harder to do stuff like, project social cues.
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:15 pm

I say YES to the widespread use of fire pits.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:54 am

I shall say NO to any of the starting factions being unambiguously evil. While thwarting such villains can be fun, I feel that it would make for a more deep and interesting story if everyone coming to the post-apocalypse table has at least one good point, even the mind control parasite. Besides, such an evil could always arise later.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:20 am

Actually,we need a clarification of Supahewok's palette.Do you accept mwchase's explanation of no to wild magic,or did you have an idea akin to yes to systematized magic?
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:33 am

Going by the rules, yes to systematized magic doesn't quite work. It specifies that systematized magic can appear, but it doesn't prevent non-systematized magic from appearing.

... I can stop quoting and paraphrasing the rules if that's overstepping things. TBH I think the fact that I can and do recourse to the rules so easily and quickly is one of the things that turned my group off of Fiasco.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:39 am

I was gonna let Question rule on it. I think no wild magic is a little ambiguous, but if we all agree on what it means (no random, spontaneous crap coming out of nowhere), then I guess it'd be fine.

To expand on what I mean, I want to avoid the kinda thing I see, especially in anime, where new powers come from nowhere without explanation, noone can replicate it, and it doesn't tonally or thematically fit with the other magic that has been showcased recently.
AFancyQuestionMark

Postby AFancyQuestionMark » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:11 am

I think that "no sudden unexplained magic" is a good summation of that idea.

Ordinarily, I would let this stage go on for one or two more rounds to further refine the palette, but since we have a relatively big number of players and the set-up is taking long enough as is, I pass my turn. Since I am first in the turn order this means that we can move on.

So, to summarize what we have so far:

Big Picture: An apparently mundane disaster has far reaching consequences.

Bookends:
Start - A few powerful factions begin rebuilding in the wake of disaster. (Light)
End - The planet becomes sapient and mobile. (Light)

Palette:
Yes - Dragons, fire pits.
No - Generic fantasy races, sudden unexplained magic, acquiring magic power solely through trauma, easy FTL travel, evil starting factions.

Now we begin the last stage of the game set-up - the First Pass or Round 0. This is basically a limited version of actual play, intended for sketching out our mostly blank history.
The players take turns adding either a period or an event. Periods are relatively big chunks of time defined by a short summary of one or two sentences. A new period must be placed between two existing periods (remember that the Bookends are periods). Events are notable things that happen on a relatively short timeframe like battles or assassinations. A new event must be placed in an existing period (if there are other events already in that period, the player must specify when it occurs in relation to them).
Both periods and events have a tone of either Light or Dark.

From this point on, each player has nearly absolute creative authority on their turn, meaning that, as long as they don't contradict established history or use concepts from the No list, they can add whatever they wish without prior warning.

For my turn, I am adding a new event in the start period: Mount Theria, a long dormant volcano located on a small island on the periphery of the Koleis Archipelago, suddenly erupts with overwhelming force unprecedented in civilized times. In addition to utterly destroying everything on the island (including several fishing villages), the eruption kicks up huge quantities of ash into the air, creating a thick blanket of grey-black clouds that covers the skies above the archipelago and the eastern portion of the neighboring continent. They take weeks to clear, but the smell of ash lingers in the air for several months. (Dark)

The next turn is for mwchase.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:35 pm

AFancyQuestionMark wrote:Since I am first in the turn order this means that we can move on.

Doesnt it actually mean that everyone else should get another round since you are before everyone?Not that I mind speeding up some things(plus I dont really have anything else I would add myself).
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:57 pm

Let's get some space travel in here, to go with the eventual FTL.

Fears of debilitating mutations drive much of Earth's population to leave for off-world habitats and colonies.

In general, this Period is characterized by fear, recklessness, and desperation. Whether or not the colonies are really safer than Earth, they're more dangerous than we're used to. So, it's also pretty Dark.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:23 pm

You didnt specify if that happens before or after the volcanic eruption.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:58 pm

It's a period. It's between the very beginning and the very end, and therefore after the eruptions. I meant this as an ongoing, possibly multi-generational thing.

Basically, for some reason, after the initial disaster is seemingly taken care of, something happens that raises fear of mutations. What happens? Deliberately unspecified.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:51 pm

mwchase wrote:It's a period. It's between the very beginning and the very end, and therefore after the eruptions. I meant this as an ongoing, possibly multi-generational thing.

Sorry,my mistake.I misunderstood AFancyQuestionMark's description as a period instead of an event.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:37 pm

Oh, right. I'm 3rd in line. Oops.

Before I state my period, I want to ask: are we okay with occasional goofy or weird evens and periods, or do we want to take things entirely seriously? I don't intend to derail the world-building game, but some strange things have happened in our own history; as an example of what I mean, would y'all be okay with an event like "Dragon Disco sweeps across the world, even becoming the most anticipated sports entertainment event, before fading out almost as quickly as it arose?"

Now, for my turn: an event in the first bookend - In the wake of disaster, a reclusive monastery of philosophical monks in the Vremkilik Mountains discovers a new form of interacting with the world. When witnessing an object, the monks are able to control and change the properties of that object, apparently through believing in the capacity for that object to change. A particular monk, whose adopted name was Uemer, expands that line of thought to the abstract: by assigning properties to his own shadow, he was able to make his shadow an actual object capable of interaction with the corporeal world. Uemer would thereafter be known as the world's first Archmage. (Light) Edit: Takes place after the Theria Eruption.
Lachlan the Mad

Postby Lachlan the Mad » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:37 am

My turn? My turn.

This is a period which happens before mwchase's evacuation period (and may be directly linked to it). A race of creatures calling themselves the Starx, claiming to be the descendants of humans who travelled to space more than a century ago, descend from the sky with the goal of seizing sites of great magical power. Physically weak and few in number, the Star nevertheless possess enough magical power to obliterate an Archmage.
AFancyQuestionMark

Postby AFancyQuestionMark » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:04 am

Actually, that was supposed to be Lucifer's turn. You can check the player order in the first post. So, instead we'll make a one-time exception and have Lucifer's turn now before dudecon, provided that he doesn't object to your period.
You also need to specify whether the tone of your period is Light or Dark (depending on whether you think it's relatively positive or negative).
Lachlan the Mad

Postby Lachlan the Mad » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:12 am

D'oh. Sorry.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:53 am

My turn wont clash with Lachlan's so its fine.

Dark period,between the people leaving the earth and the end:

Inspired by the great ruthless king,dragons decide to cleanse the world of all the other sapients that have remained after the mass exodus into space.This leads to centuries of bloody religious crusades all over the world that ultimately leaves the dragons as rulers of this,now devastated (both magically and technologically) planet.

Return to “Play-by-Post”