Microscope (Collaborative Worldbuilding RPG) Recruitment

Text-based gaming!
AFancyQuestionMark

Microscope (Collaborative Worldbuilding RPG) Recruitment

Post by AFancyQuestionMark » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:22 am

Microscope is a worldbuilding game in which the players collaboratively create a history. This game is very unique in that it doesn't have a GM and the players don't play permanent characters, nor are there any stats or dice involved.
Instead, the players take turns to create Periods and Events in a history, and sometimes zoom in on a particular moment within it to roleplay a Scene. The timeline starts out as a simple barebones plot but gradually grows with details and nuance as a result of the unpredictable interaction between player created stories.
The game encourages spontaneous reactions to other players' additions rather than coming in with a predetermined plan, so that the overall story will move in interesting and unexpected directions over the course of the game.

This is similar in some ways to the Dawn of Worlds game played in this very forum in ages past, but Microscope doesn't examine the events of history in chronological order. For instance, if a player creates an Event detailing the death of a king, another player can create an Event detailing his coronation. In fact, anyone can create anything at any point on the timeline so long as it doesn't contradict the history that was already established.

If all of the above sounds as appealing to you as it does to me, simply post that you are interested and I will sign you up for the game.

The ideal number of players would be 5-6 including me, meaning that I need 4-5 volunteers that are willing to aid me in the lofty task of creating a (hopefully) fascinating history from nothing.
Due to the rigidly turn-based nature of the game and in order to ensure a smooth experience, every player needs to be able to participate at least once per day. This isn't as demanding as it may appear, since a turn could easily take as little as 5 minutes of your time (also, if you really don't have time you can simply pass).

This has the potential to be really fun and interesting, and I have never had the chance to participate in something like this, so I hope that this unique game can raise this sub-forum from the dead and pave the way to the return of the wonder of collaborative storytelling to this community.

You can support the creator of the game by buying the rulebook, but it isn't necessary for participation in the game, as the rules are fairly simple and I intend to follow the book's advice on teaching them through play.
Supahewok

Re: Microscope (Collaborative Worldbuilding RPG) Recruitment

Post by Supahewok » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:15 am

Sure, I'm in. Does the game have a set genre, or do we determine it through play?
mwchase

Post by mwchase » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:59 am

As I recall, there's a pre-game thing where we hash out the general features of the setting, and any elements that we want to specifically include or exclude.
AFancyQuestionMark

Post by AFancyQuestionMark » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:31 am

That is accurate.

I need at least 2 more players before we begin. The game set-up phase could take some time in PBP, so the sooner we can start the better.
AFancyQuestionMark

Post by AFancyQuestionMark » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:27 am

It seems that there isn't as much interest as I was hoping for.

Nevertheless, in order to move things along, I will create the game thread shortly.
Anyone else that wants to participate (there's room for 2 more) has until the end of the set-up phase to post here.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Post by Lachlan the Sane » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:17 am

I am interested, I just currently have no interwebs at home. I'll kick in once it does. Cable man should be coming tomorrow.
AFancyQuestionMark

Post by AFancyQuestionMark » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:01 pm

No worries, that should be soon enough considering the fact that there aren't even any posts in the game thread.

I will add you to the player list shortly.
mwchase

Post by mwchase » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:58 pm

Question on adapting the rules to pbp: are we still roleplaying Scenes, or should we just write it out all on our own? Or does the game kind of slow down whenever someone does a Scene?
AFancyQuestionMark

Post by AFancyQuestionMark » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:25 pm

We are definitely roleplaying Scenes. The game will probably slow down whenever a Scene is initiated (this is often the case even in actual "tabletop" sessions of the game) but I intend to make some slight rule adjustments (removing the turn-based requirement for stuff) to mitigate that.
dudecon

Post by dudecon » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:26 pm

Oh man! I love Microscope! Is it too late to join in? I see the gameplay thread hasn't gotten too far yet... Please?
AFancyQuestionMark

Post by AFancyQuestionMark » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:04 pm

You are just in time. I will sign you up momentarily.

Please feel free to head over to the game thread and contribute to the current discussion on The Big Picture.
PossiblyInsane

Post by PossiblyInsane » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:18 pm

Oh, hey, the PBP section is alive again!
And I just missed the join-up window. Oh well. :D

Still, if you find yourself with space available, I'll be waiting in the wings.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:57 pm

He did say 5-6 would be ideal,not maximum.Im positive one more person wouldnt do any harm.
AFancyQuestionMark

Post by AFancyQuestionMark » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:45 am

I suppose one more will be fine. I will sign PossiblyInsane up.

I now formally announce that we have ran out of space (the game is going slowly enough as is, and we haven't even reached the turn-based portion). Anyone else that wants to join will either have to wait until someone drops out, or run a Microscope game of their own (which I strongly encourage).
Supahewok

Post by Supahewok » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:10 am

AFancyQuestionMark wrote:(the game is going slowly enough as is, and we haven't even reached the turn-based portion)
It's kinda a bad time of year in the US. I'm doing Christmas stuff and preparing to travel for family and such. I'm sure it'll pick up a little into January. There's no rush.
grahams_xwing

Post by grahams_xwing » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:30 pm

Very intriguing idea, shame I missed it before it kicked off.

If there are any drop outs or need for a proxy then add me as a reserve!
mwchase

Post by mwchase » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:58 pm

What are the plans for transcribing this stuff for easy reference? I had one thing in mind (A TiddlyWiki), but if you've already got something, then that's great.
AFancyQuestionMark

Post by AFancyQuestionMark » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:35 am

I had a Google Doc in mind, but if you have a better idea, go right ahead.
mwchase

Post by mwchase » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:07 pm

What fearsome demons have I unleashed? What gibbering madness stands poised to take me?!

So, um... I'm not having the best of luck assembling all of this. I say, let's do our stuff in parallel. If I get something that works better, we can switch over, but what I have right now is just not good enough.
dudecon

Post by dudecon » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:59 pm

AFancyQuestionMark wrote:I had a Google Doc in mind, but if you have a better idea, go right ahead.
Google doc works for me.
mwchase

Post by mwchase » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:09 pm

Several head-bashes on the docs later, and I have a working prototype. Unfortunately, it loses information if I delete some dopy test pages I wrote, so I can't roll this out in earnest until we have our first event, scene, and dark thing.

Once we get those, though, I'll publish this and we can start using it.
mwchase

Post by mwchase » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:05 am

Okay, I've made enough tweaks to my transcript that I feel good putting it out there for initial feedback. For now, it's at: http://mwchase.ddns.net:8080/microscope ... fqm_1.html

I decided to put some natter in the palette.
PossiblyInsane

Post by PossiblyInsane » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:37 am

Looks nifty and useful so far. Alas, I don't know enough about the Microscope system yet to offer much more in the way of constructive criticism.