Text-based gaming!
Santa_Jaws

Re: Savin' the day!

Postby Santa_Jaws » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:57 pm

Brutal Inc
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:25 pm

mwchase wrote:I've got some drafts up... If it were possible for backstories in a thing like this to be "spoilers", the (classified) document probably counts.
So... Should I read the classified docs? I went through the rest. I'll talk about nanos below, but here are a couple suggestions:
1. The Maximum Security wing could be called the "Exo-Denial Wing", and is for prisoners who, while they have no powers of their own, have relationship connections with supers that might attempt to break them out of a normal facility. Could lead to some interesting situations.
2. The NUCF would probably have a team that could travel to aid with prisoner transport. Is that the idea behind the Irregulars?
I haven't figured out how I feel about Armand Defortune yet, but it's an intriguing idea.
krellen wrote:I should warn you all that I've been watching Metalocalypse and it's giving me ideas for my megacorp.
Wicked sick! Do tell when you've got something you like.

Nannites!
Nanotech has shown up in a few of the backstories so far. So, let's talk about it!
Nanomachines have several major practical problems. First, they need a power source. This isn't really a problem if all they are doing is nano-scale stuff, but if you've got a motile cluster that is doing macro-scale work, all that energy needs to come from somewhere.
They also break down over time. Simple chemical processes, ionizing radiation, heat, all that stuff tends to make nanomachines sad.
Grey goo replicators actually aren't a huge problem because you need energy to drive all that stuff. Ultimately, nanomachines will be an industrial technology first, followed by medical, probably long before they are used as either weapons or household appliances.
But, if those problems can be overcome, and there are nanomachines in the universe, then we're looking at Diamond Age level tech, which is pretty advanced stuff. It's advanced enough that most people put it on the far side of the Singularity (if you believe in that sort of thing), which is pretty much the definition of "difficult to RP." Anyway, as usual, I'm game to throw it in the mix, but I figured it would be fair to explore some of the connotations.

Character Questions
I'll try to keep participation requirements to a minimum, so for those of you who are interested, I'd like to know:
How do you envision your character(s) "having a bad day" turning out?
What is the least it would take for your character(s) to kill someone?
How is your character's relationship with their neighbors?

World Building
I'm about to start working on the setting in earnest, but before I do, I'd like to open the floor to inclusions/exclusions (Microscope style). What topics/settings/events/things should we absolutely include? Absolutely exclude? I'm looking for the things that, if it is or isn't in the setting, you're not interested in playing any more.
krellen

Postby krellen » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:38 pm

dudecon wrote:Wicked sick! Do tell when you've got something you like.

At the moment I'm leaning towards something like a three-million (or maybe more) person corporation (making it the single largest private employer in the world, and only rivalled by public entities such as the PLA or DoD) with an annual revenue in the trillions, making it one of the top ten global economies. A large portion of its workforce would be security personnel - mostly protecting corporate holdings and VIPs - making it also one of the largest military forces in the world.

Haven't really decided what precise industry it would be - a bit of everything, since it's essentially a government and thus needs to fill a lot of roles, but one thing should be its focus. Current leanings are towards a sort of militarised Disney.

(All of these benchmarks are based on the "power level of Italy/France/UK" assumption - at these levels the corporation would be a peer with those nations.)

dudecon wrote:I'm looking for the things that, if it is or isn't in the setting, you're not interested in playing any more.

I'm pretty flexible in this regards, but this is something I also want determined as it will help define the boundaries I have in building my megacorp.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:53 pm

dudecon wrote:
mwchase wrote:I've got some drafts up... If it were possible for backstories in a thing like this to be "spoilers", the (classified) document probably counts.
So... Should I read the classified docs? I went through the rest. I'll talk about nanos below, but here are a couple suggestions:
1. The Maximum Security wing could be called the "Exo-Denial Wing", and is for prisoners who, while they have no powers of their own, have relationship connections with supers that might attempt to break them out of a normal facility. Could lead to some interesting situations.
2. The NUCF would probably have a team that could travel to aid with prisoner transport. Is that the idea behind the Irregulars?
I haven't figured out how I feel about Armand Defortune yet, but it's an intriguing idea.
On classified: hm, I can see that putting the names in there was kind of a misstep on my part. I'm reorganizing it, and I'll try to come up with some other classified (or rather, "more classified than the rest of this stuff") documents to write up. (You know, so I can allude to classified stuff without spoiling it all.) So far as "who should look at this", I'm not totally sure how I want people to act on the distinctions. I mean, the distinctions exist to draw the line between "what a well-equipped organization could determine about the NUCF with sufficient snooping" and "what this particular [unspecified] organization was able to determine, having brought some advantages to bear", in-universe. I'm not sure how useful that distinction is OOC.

Oops, I can see I didn't express myself clearly about Maximum Security. The point is, Maximum Security is meant for prisoners who would be put in any other maximum security facility, if not for their powers.

The Irregulars are kind of multipurpose. Sometimes, they're helping with transport, sometimes they're taking down known criminals. One thing they don't get into is fighting battles behind a Masquerade; they're pretty above-the-board. (A note on Armand: my character concept started with "bad-tempered short guy", and I was casting around for names, and "Armand" sounded cool, and it was only several hours after I wrote this up that I made the "short French man with an attitude problem -> Napoleon complex" connection.)
dudecon wrote:Nannites!
Nanotech has shown up in a few of the backstories so far. So, let's talk about it!
Nanomachines have several major practical problems. First, they need a power source. This isn't really a problem if all they are doing is nano-scale stuff, but if you've got a motile cluster that is doing macro-scale work, all that energy needs to come from somewhere.
They also break down over time. Simple chemical processes, ionizing radiation, heat, all that stuff tends to make nanomachines sad.
Grey goo replicators actually aren't a huge problem because you need energy to drive all that stuff. Ultimately, nanomachines will be an industrial technology first, followed by medical, probably long before they are used as either weapons or household appliances.
But, if those problems can be overcome, and there are nanomachines in the universe, then we're looking at Diamond Age level tech, which is pretty advanced stuff. It's advanced enough that most people put it on the far side of the Singularity (if you believe in that sort of thing), which is pretty much the definition of "difficult to RP." Anyway, as usual, I'm game to throw it in the mix, but I figured it would be fair to explore some of the connotations.
That sounds fair for my purposes. Part of the reason I tried to limit the NUCF nanites is I wanted to keep them from messing with the narrative space. With a different character background, this would all be angelic/demonic magic, which would have its own issues.

So far as the Singularity goes... the Overmind might well be nearing it in terms of capabilities, if not interest.
dudecon wrote:Character Questions
I'll try to keep participation requirements to a minimum, so for those of you who are interested, I'd like to know:

World Building
I'm about to start working on the setting in earnest, but before I do, I'd like to open the floor to inclusions/exclusions (Microscope style). What topics/settings/events/things should we absolutely include? Absolutely exclude? I'm looking for the things that, if it is or isn't in the setting, you're not interested in playing any more.
I'll try to get some of this written up in the next few days. So far as world building... I'm really liking the (not documented) origin for the Director in some divergent timeline, so I'd like some form of time travel to exist.

Hmm... All of the concepts so far have been human-based (at least loosely), right? I don't have any thoughts on this right now, but does anyone else have feelings on alien characters/tech? Earth-bound, non-human civilizations?
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:47 pm

mwchase wrote:Hmm... All of the concepts so far have been human-based (at least loosely), right? I don't have any thoughts on this right now, but does anyone else have feelings on alien characters/tech? Earth-bound, non-human civilizations?

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

Actually,thats not true.I wouldve made an extra terrestrial if I did not get the idea about an ink blot first.Though when I think about that,the inkvengers arent really that human,except in their outward appearances.Ill flesh this out further in responding to dudecon's questions.

Before I continue,Ill set this up:Since it is the future,I am assuming that the comic has been rebooted,so while these guys are having the appearance of various avengers,they arent having the same personalities as the heroes you know today.So if I mess up something,its because the avengers of the future are different,and not because I know nothing about the group outside the movies.Also,while the 17 of them arose from a single comic,they did not get their final forms until they read a few of the other books and familiarized themselves more with the characters,so heroes from various iterations of the avengers will be used.

Ok,the inkvengers have a bit of a weird thought process.They know that they are not the characters they appear to be,but rather an amorphous goo,yet they enjoy acting like the avengers of the books.They are basically larping humans.So while having something horrible happen to their city and its human inhabitants wouldnt phase them,they would still act like they were emotionally compromised,all the while patting themselves on the backs in their mind(s).

So what would get them to kill someone varies.The hulkink is acting like a mindless beast most of the time,so if he is apart from the group he would not be using nonlethal force,but when he is accompanied by other inkvengers,they would usually "conveniently" find themselves in a position to prevent him from outright murdering someone.Capink is acting like a loyal friend,so he would kill to "save the life of his team mates".Etc.

However,the more important question is:When do they stop larping and act like the blob they are?Well,when they are resting,obviously.Also,when they are in actual peril,from someone they know is familiar with their nature and is ready to exploit it.And when the planet itself is in peril(though technically they would be in peril then as well).

Otherwise,the blob is a selfish hive mind,and wont break character even if doing so would save human lives.They will definitely act like they are trying to help,and will do almost everything to do so(like cheat a bit when no one is looking),but not actually everything in their power.For example,the black widowink would use a lock pick that is an extension of her to feel inside the lock and open it quickly to save a prisoner,but she wont extend her arm to reach a switch that would stop an execution,even if no one is watching.

However,though these guys are sharing a telepathic link and acting most of the time as a singular entity,they still have unique personality traits,so some of them are more prone to breaking the act,while others are very strict,some are more sympathetic to humans,others regard them as mere props in their game.The capink,for example,is more sympathetic to humans,and will bend the rules if he is alone(no humans or other inks are around).

Hulkink is dedicated to his role,and will even let himself and other inks be in some danger rather than show his true form.

Pymink chose that role because it requires the use of his shape shifting,and therefore is not as careful with it,though he still doesnt care about humans.

Black widowink is very interested in how humans work,which is why she chose to act as someone who gets to interact with them a lot,but she is careful not to be seen breaking her role.

Spidink is probably the coldest one of the bunch,constantly thinking about witty one liners to use in battle and how to look cool and authentic,regarding everyone else as mere props and audience.He is very careful not to let anyone know about him,constantly going back in secret to collect all the inkweb he sprayed around,while no one is looking.

Ill think of others later.

dudecon wrote:World Building

Well I want you to include either magic,or extra dimensional travel,in order for my concept to work.Other than that,I accept anything you throw at us.
CraigM

Postby CraigM » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:22 pm

Some valid, and well thought concerns about nanomachines. Indeed I had considered them in creating my character. My idea wasn't to expand nanomachines into the wider world, but rather provide an excuse for her powers that wasn't simply magic. Given how my conception shifted towards the Elric brothers type matter manipulation I am ok with placing her power closer to magic (though retaining the origins as part of a laboratory experiment with her parents). If this would help simplify the setting, go ahead and just make it a form of magic. The objective is to create a power that she can manipulate quickly, but one that can't be exported to other individuals. hence the note about responding to her body chemistry, make the tech unable to function out of her bloodstream. The implication that they would be produced by her body, probably in the bone marrow. Anyhow the basic point was I'm more interested in the application of that power, less so than the functional mechanics of it. SO if magic be the consensus better choice, make it so.

As for setting, I have no make or break parts. I do have some requests though, mainly that people with powers still remain relatively rare. Naturally there should be some outside of the group, but something in the magnitude of 5 'superheroes' per million. Given their nature they would naturally be known to each other within a metropolitan region, with some knowledge in outside regions, but there are enough that if they went to a different country they wouldn't likely know any but the most famous there.

As for The Alchemist herself? A bad day is fairly similar to that of a typical human. Her powers don't alter her emotional state, she is in most ways a normal human. She is a fairly interested in helping, and her power makes many repairs trivial, so most of her neighbors love her. That said due to her ethnic and gender origins she does have some tension. She is able to ignore most of it, but when any particularly persistent pests show up they are going to receive some response. She will hold a grudge against those who dismiss her capabilities, or disparage her ethnicity. For her to kill it would require a deadly threat. For example a person threatening with a gun would be a candidate, a purse snatcher would not.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:19 pm

A bad day huh?

Any random thing could send him inot a classic childish nerdrage, like loosing in a game, or being denied something on the web. But those are all pretty ussual and blow off quickly. On the other hand having to interact and change his habbits would be awfull, especially if it's coupled with loosing his curent place of stay. That would eliminate the solution of holing up and trying to sleep or game through the bad period.

About killing, while he would probably brag about being a bad badass assbad dude, to intentionally pull the trigger he would probably need to be under intense pressure in kind off life or death situation, and even than he might chicken out of extinguishing a life. That is face to face, if he could kill somebody remotelly it might go more easily.
Santa_Jaws

Postby Santa_Jaws » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:50 pm

Gonna answer this after I get back home, I think.
Santa_Jaws

Postby Santa_Jaws » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:44 am

Uhhh, depends on the hour of the day, I guess, and what they're doing. If my character has a day job or a 'real' identity, then I imagine any number of things could constitute having a bad day. Discovering a loved one or friend got attacked or sick, being demoted or fired at work, a maid or cleaning lady discovering his costume/uniform, what have you.

However, if my character is in a position where he 'is' the mask 24/7, then it would probably be limited to 'his job'. You know, finally running out of stamina and energy while he's still in danger, breaking his arm or leg in the middle of a fight or in the middle of rescuing someone, getting shot and bleeding to death, any number of bad things.

dudecon wrote:What is the least it would take for your character(s) to kill someone?

I was just thinking about this. I think, in keeping in line with his general beliefs, it would have to either universally change the world for the better, or it should at least be an act that brings things back into balance. There should be no personal stake involved, and he would absolutely not take someone's life if he, on any possible level wanted to take that life. A, for morality reasons, but B, because he sees that as an act of futility. Killing one ant won't stop the colony, all you'll do is tire yourself out and eventually lose sight of your objectives.

dudecon wrote:How is your character's relationship with their neighbors?

Depends on the neighbors, which depends on what world we build. :P

dudecon wrote:World Building

Uhhhh, I actually have questions, without really having any 'preference' for the answer, I really do want to see what you come up with, and will be excited for nearly anything, within reason.

But, is this a dystopia? Would we be outlaws for fighting crime? Are we the law? Are we accepted? Do people love and adore superheroes and larger than life figures(Like DC?), or would we be feared and hated(Marvel?)? Is the world like ours but with more cyber and more punks? Are there suburbs? Is there classism? Are women and minorities still fighting for their rights? Are the politics mainly the same? What's goin' on? Because, a lot of that would effect(or affect? I can't tell) my character, in terms of who he is under the costume.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:11 am

One world building suggestion I have:
Given how nanites are an important aspect of at least two of our characters, it may be interesting to relate the two (possibly by krellen's developing megacorp?). If not in origin, then definitely in what they think of the character's use of nanotech.

Actually, that raises a good point. What do all our characters think of each other? This will probably have to be developed along with the characters, but considering it may give some ideas for your own character.
Santa_Jaws

Postby Santa_Jaws » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:38 am

Yeah, is the prison and the megacorp part of the same company?
krellen

Postby krellen » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:53 pm

Reading your guys's character prospectives, I'm starting to think my megacorp might be the villain of the piece.

I'm okay with this.
dudecon

Savin' the day one question at a time

Postby dudecon » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:03 am

Are you all ready for...?
More Questions!
So, here's a weird one... What bad things are you okay with happening to your characters? I'm not looking for an exhaustive list, of course, but it occurred to me that this is one more area where a misunderstanding might result in emotional trauma. See, as the GM, it's my job to make bad things happen to you. No, actually, just to your characters. But those two can get awfully intertwined. Anyway, I can gurantee that you'll all be losing some fights... but what kind of stakes are you comfortable with? Bloody nose? Missing memories? A thousand years of humiliating servitude?

While we're on the topic of pain, I get the feeling that there's some sort of unspoken "fisticuffs" idea of gettin' out on tha' street and fightin' some crime! I'll talk about this a bit more when I get to Santa_Jaws' questions. But, in short, people are not stupid. If individuals with the might of a train were prowling the streets with a keen eye to wreck someone's day, looking for the slightest excuse to meet out vigalante justice, NO ONE WOULD GIVE THEM THAT EXCUSE! Well, unless that's the kind of world you want to play in. I was kind of planning on having the challenges be a bit more... not silly? A super-human running around hitting social deviants with their knuckles seems (to me) to be a massive waste of potential.

krellen wrote:At the moment I'm leaning towards something like a three-million (or maybe more)... security personnel - mostly protecting corporate holdings and VIPs - making it also one of the largest military forces in the world... Current leanings are towards a sort of militarised Disney...
Oh man... that sounds awesome. Can they have pep rallies with the employees standing in ranks? A theme park where you can fire live weapons? Corporate buildings situated on the mountainside. The monolithic lobby is floored with black tile. One wall is a massive sheet of fused quartz, and looks out on a metropolitan center...
Woah, got carried away there. Let me know any more aspects you'd like.

mwchase wrote:Oops, I can see I didn't express myself clearly about Maximum Security. The point is, Maximum Security is meant for prisoners who would be put in any other maximum security facility, if not for their powers.
Okay. How would you feel about going the other way, and also housing people who are at risk from attack by supers, but have committed no crimes? Maybe even protecting other supers who have abilities which do not lend themselves to self-defense? This might actually be a point of collaboration with Brutalptimum Corp., or whatever Krellen ends up calling his character.
mwchase wrote:...I'd like some form of time travel to exist.
Hmm... All of the concepts so far have been human-based (at least loosely), right? I don't have any thoughts on this right now, but does anyone else have feelings on alien characters/tech? Earth-bound, non-human civilizations?
Time travel and/or parallel universe jumping. Check.

Yeah, that's really the kind of thing I'd like feedback on as well! This whole campaign could be totally non-human if we want. The human-is-the-norm is convenient for visualization, but I've played in campaigns where we were all avians living in diamond spires on a Venus analogue with gasoline for blood and no metal to speak of because it was all locked up as salts in the bromic acid oceans (Though, we didn't interact with that stuff much because we were too busy flying around in our space ship exploring the galaxy and the variety of alien life there). So, you know, whatever you guys want.

Daemian Lucifer wrote:...I wouldve made an extra terrestrial if I did not get the idea about an ink blot first.Though when I think about that,the inkvengers arent really that human,except in their outward appearances... I am assuming that the comic has been rebooted,so while these guys are having the appearance of various avengers,they arent having the same personalities as the heroes you know today... so heroes from various iterations of the avengers will be used...
It's not too late! Play an alien if you like the idea better!
I'm honestly not thrilled about needing to draw in "The Avengers" (which I'm not familiar with, so in fact I do NOT "know today") and all the human-centric and earth-history-centric lore the no doubt goes along with it. I'll do it if that's really what you want, but don't stick to the "shape-shifters that act like comic book people" under the pretense that it's making things easier for me.
Daemian Lucifer wrote:... an amorphous goo,yet they enjoy acting like the avengers of the books.They are basically larping humans...
The underlying idea is sound. I think you may have more fun with a character that is larping humans in general, as opposed to a specific set of fictional humans.
Daemian Lucifer wrote:...I want you to include either magic,or extra dimensional travel,in order for my concept to work...
The character you are actually describing already sounds a lot like some sort of self-aware micro-scale machine swarm that has imprinted on some fiction from the internet. I don't think you need magic or extra-dimensional travel to get what you're looking to play as. I'm fine with either way... see my note at the end of this post.

CraigM wrote:... Anyhow the basic point was I'm more interested in the application of that power, less so than the functional mechanics of it...
Ok, I've got some ideas. How do you feel about her being biologically sterile?
CraigM wrote:... mainly that people with powers still remain relatively rare. Naturally there should be some outside of the group, but something in the magnitude of 5 'superheroes' per million.
Okay. Done.

4th Dimension wrote:Any random thing could send him inot a classic childish nerdrage, like loosing in a game, or being denied something on the web... if he could kill somebody remotelly it might go more easily.
So, he is probably going to kill a few people (un)intentionally by lashing out in the digital domain? Fascinating!

Santa_Jaws wrote:...Discovering a loved one or friend got attacked or sick, being demoted or fired at work, a maid or cleaning lady discovering his costume/uniform... finally running out of stamina and energy while he's still in danger, breaking his arm or leg in the middle of a fight or in the middle of rescuing someone, getting shot and bleeding to death, any number of bad things.
The answers here are very telling of the kind of world you expect to be playing in. I'll do my best!
Santa_Jaws wrote:But, is this a dystopia? Would we be outlaws for fighting crime? Are we the law? Are we accepted? Do people love and adore superheroes and larger than life figures(Like DC?), or would we be feared and hated(Marvel?)? Is the world like ours but with more cyber and more punks? Are there suburbs? Is there classism? Are women and minorities still fighting for their rights? Are the politics mainly the same? What's goin' on? Because, a lot of that would effect(or affect? I can't tell) my character, in terms of who he is under the costume.
All excellent questions! If anyone has preferences one way or the other, I'll try to make those preferences fit. Otherwise, I'm planning on building a world in which it is interesting to be a super-human character... which may or may not result in "superhero" style play. I'm aware that this thread is titled "Savin' the day" but I'm not devoted to that particular brand of super-human RP unless it's what most people want. Of the eight character concepts, only one really seems to fit with this particular style. If you guys have preferences on the above topics, let me know.

PossiblyInsane wrote:...What do all our characters think of each other? This will probably have to be developed along with the characters, but considering it may give some ideas for your own character.
Santa_Jaws wrote:is the prison and the megacorp part of the same company?
All good questions! If you don't tell me what you want, I'll figure something out and try to surprise you. I'm certainly leaning toward having all the characters tied together with as many relationships as is feasible.

krellen wrote:Reading your guys's character prospectives, I'm starting to think my megacorp might be the villain of the piece.

I'm okay with this.
Yep! I didn't say they were going to be GOOD relationships.

Basically, in response to all of the above:
The more freedom you give me, the easier it will be to make this all work in a seamless way, but the further the result may land from your unstated expectations.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:59 am

Krieg's bad day would probably involve one or more of the following things:
-Unexpected, catastrophic military defeat in one of his wars.
-Large civilian casualties in said war, even more so if it is a result of Krieg's involvement.
-One of his experiments going awry, setting back progress.
-One of his creations going rogue despite countermeasures, especially if said creation is sapient.

Krieg may (in his own mind, at least) be working for the betterment of humanity as a whole, but the methods by which he works toward that goal are quasi-moral at best and sociopathic at worst. The least it would take for Krieg to kill someone is would be if he believes the world would benefit more from their elimination than their continued existence.

Krieg's neighbors (likely warring African city-states or similar, dependent on setting) would view him as a distasteful but generally reliable mercenary force. Dealing with him is analogous to dealing with the Devil, but who cares when you're already in Hell? His monsters don't defect the moment the battle goes badly, and generally only turn around and eat the human monsters. Still, the way battlefields are so clear of corpses afterwards... It'll be good when someone bigger decides Krieg's less trouble dead than alive and do the world a favor...
Last edited by PossiblyInsane on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sudanna

Postby Sudanna » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:06 am

Large civilian casualties in said war, even more so if it is a result of Krieg's involvement.

That's, like, the rule rather than the exception in the kind of wars you were saying he'd be involved in. . . Also, city-states? What?
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:23 am

Huh. Reading over that, I realized that all of my design stuff has been focusing on keeping supers in, not keeping them out. Whoops, that's a bit of an oversight when people have friends. I'll have to think about this. Probably, there's just a contingent of robots guarding the walls, on the lookout for break-ins. Anyway, I'd like to have any non-powered individuals assigned to a prison according to sentencing guidelines, not power levels.

As to protective custody, I'll think about it. It sounds like an interesting idea, but I want to sleep on it first. Wait. Wait. It could be like a hotel, and it's staffed by robots in bellhop uniforms. Yes. YES! Still going to sleep on it, but the answer is almost certainly yes.

Anyway, I've been assuming that the NUCF is operating under government oversight, so the employment of the Utopian Irregulars would imply that superpowers are not, in and of themselves, distrusted by the government and the public at large. Is that okay with everyone? Things this doesn't imply: that superpowers are automatically okay. If there's a legally mandated registration scheme, they're in it. They are also not vigilantes; strictly speaking, they're something like prison staff who can be contracted out to bail bondsmen as bounty hunters.

(I haven't exactly worked out how "government oversight" and "nobody can determine the Director's identity" mesh. Perhaps the Director is legally the property of a privately held corporation, made up of the NUCF's investors? That sounds... plausible-ish.) (I am not writing up the NUCF's investors in any detail. Here is everything I care about for them: they are mostly transhumanists, and they sign the checks.)

A note on something I've been doing that I haven't said, but is probably pretty obvious: I'm not referring to the Director with gendered pronouns. I don't want any canon stance one way or the other, but characters should be free to interpret things as they will, like with Vaarsuvius.

Just noticed a further assumption on my part: for the NUCF to occupy the role that I want it to, it has to be able to keep up with the conviction rate of all super-related crime in the USA, with other criminals being incarcerated as usual. In other words, while we can expect to deal with it a lot, super-related crime should be a small fraction of all crime overall, such that a single prison (okay, two right next to each other) can handle everything for the USA. Does anyone have any differing thoughts? I haven't worked out the scales involved, so for all I know, compromise is totally... hm. Scale. 1500+ supers for the whole country. Not all of them criminal... it seems to me that this could work.

Anyway, I'm going to plow through the questions as I have a chance. I hope I get enough time together to finish this by the end of the week. (And then I can come up with a few more UI members, and the cycle can continue... I'm going to cap myself at five defined members, in terms of planning. I might not get that many, but I don't feel like trying to have more.)
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:41 am

Nalyd wrote:
Large civilian casualties in said war, even more so if it is a result of Krieg's involvement.

That's, like, the rule rather than the exception in the kind of wars you were saying he'd be involved in. . . Also, city-states? What?

Fair point. To communicate my intentions more clearly; larger casualties than usual for these sordid affairs, such as a Rwandan Massacre rather than the usual slaughter. Krieg sees himself as a moderating influence, every bullet shot at one of his creatures is one not going into an actual human (which also says a bit about how he treats his creatures). In addition, his creatures don't loot, rape, or commit other assorted wartime atrocities simply because they have no reason to, biological machines that most of them are. He presents a common enemy to unite the less established racially opposed groups, as now they have actual monsters to face. Of course, supposed 'devil' cooperation, fictional or not, is more fuel for the bigot fires...

If Krieg makes the world worse by his involvement, he sees himself as no better than the human monsters he fights.

By 'city state', I was using shorthand for "military groups of various sizes ranging from small bandit groups to countries, and I'll use city state because I can't think of a better concise word for that". Apologies for the confusion.
Last edited by PossiblyInsane on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:58 am

As for the level of harm issue: I can't speak for anyone elae, but I am personally alright with anything, provided it makes sense for the story and characters, and is not needlessly victimising.
krellen

Postby krellen » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:08 am

So, I've got a question of my own for the group: How do we all feel about nano-machines being the "game changer" technology that both created supers and put the world where it is today? A lot of the super ideas being put forth here could be explained as an application of nano-technology, and having a common source for powers (or at least nearly-common, if a few folks can't make nano-tech jive with their concept) could give a good unifying theme and mood for the game.

And it would also let my megacorp be the originators of nano-tech, and thus give anyone that wanted it a reason to hate the corporation for experimenting on/near them or a reason to love the corporation for the "gifts" they've been granted.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:25 am

That is an interesting idea, although I would prefer that while nanotech is a very important part of the world and supers, it isn't the sole cause of supers.

Given that dimension hopping has been suggested as well, perhaps dimension exploration led to the recovery of some nanotech, which krellen's company reverse engineered and capitalized on for huge profit? And some of the stuff that can't be explained by nanites could be explained by dimension hopping shenanigans?
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:54 am

So, he is probably going to kill a few people (un)intentionally by lashing out in the digital domain? Fascinating!

With emphasis on very unintentional. A temper tantrum could go wrong but I must emphases that it would be very unintentional. Like say somebody pissed him off and he decided to fry his monitor or something like that annoying and childish. But unfortunately due to shoddy materials it was constructed out of it blew up (more likely high current running through it caused a catastrophic failure of it's components) and scared or killed somebody.
The example is stupid but it does point out that killing somebody is last thing you do for SS. You can not reload a save if you kill the wrong guy.
To kill somebody in person would take for his self preservation instincts kill or be killed to kick in to overpower that little humanity and empathy he still has. On the other hand, remember that C-130 level in Modern Warfare (original)? Well he wouldn't have too much of a problem pulling the trigger on that 120mm gun, since he is shooting at "Bad Guys" to protect "Good Guys", and those silhouettes do not look like people with dreams and goals and families but like targets. He might even make himself forget he is also shelling a civilian area through which this running battle is happening in.

So, here's a weird one... What bad things are you okay with happening to your characters? I'm not looking for an exhaustive list, of course, but it occurred to me that this is one more area where a misunderstanding might result in emotional trauma. See, as the GM, it's my job to make bad things happen to you. No, actually, just to your characters. But those two can get awfully intertwined. Anyway, I can guarantee that you'll all be losing some fights... but what kind of stakes are you comfortable with? Bloody nose? Missing memories? A thousand years of humiliating servitude?

Call me chicken but I'm not really comfortable with too much with thousand years of humiliating servitude, for my character. But I am okay for at least one time for him to experience loss of his powers, in which case he would become next to useless. It might even hopefully make him reassess his life choices, but I'm not holding my breath. As to physical damage. Bruises and wounds are fine as long as it is remembered that he is quite squishy. He is not a super powered mutant or an amorphous blob. As such he really can not take too much without breaking down. He could probably shut out some of the pain, but if his "mechanical" components (his mscles and other) get damaged too much . . .
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:54 am

Short note:
PossiblyInsane wrote:...African...
mwchase wrote:...the USA...
Keep in mind that I will almost certainly be forming fictional countries and geography (if, indeed, this takes place on a planet at all, and with humans at all). That is, of course, unless you all feel strongly that this should happen in the year 20X6 on "real life" Earth? Whatever the case, I will take your meaning as referring to the closest in-universe analogue.

Okay, please continue. I'll respond later in depth once the others have had some time to contribute to the discussion.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:04 pm

I specified the USA because the conditions that allow the Utopian Irregulars to exist are apparently rather US-specific, so wherever the NUCF is, the legal system somewhat resembles it in terms of, you know, bounty hunting is legal.
CraigM

Postby CraigM » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:59 pm

Lots of things to add here, boy you were busy while I was sleeping.

mwchase wrote:Scale. 1500+ supers for the whole country.

This fits in with what I'd suggested, and that Dudecon had agreed with. I'd said something like 5 supers per million (roughly, and unevenly distributed. After all if you have a super power you're probably more likely to live in an interesting area). This gives a USA sized country... ~1500 supers. This means an area like Chicago would have 50 or so. Enough to be a present factor in life, not so much they totally supplant normal society.

mwchase wrote:As to protective custody, I'll think about it. It sounds like an interesting idea, but I want to sleep on it first. Wait. Wait. It could be like a hotel, and it's staffed by robots in bellhop uniforms. Yes. YES! Still going to sleep on it, but the answer is almost certainly yes.

This means if you needed to target a specific super, you have a ready made supply of bait.
Ummm, I mean you are providing an enhanced version of witness protection.

dudecon wrote:Ok, I've got some ideas. How do you feel about her being biologically sterile?

Umm, I hadn't considered anything along those lines. I suppose that's ok. Other than being a bit... uncomfortable... conceptually it doesn't really alter my character conception. It only might alter her response to some situations. Like if Kreig for example referred to his beasts as 'my children' she might not respond too well. Given her age though (mid twenties) it wouldn't be a huge issue, yet. Though given how many of her peers are having kids it would certainly show up from time to time. So go ahead I guess.

dudecon wrote: I'm aware that this thread is titled "Savin' the day" but I'm not devoted to that particular brand of super-human RP unless it's what most people want. Of the eight character concepts, only one really seems to fit with this particular style.

Guilty as charged. There's a reason that when I played Eve Online I was known as a 'Care Bear' type.

dudecon wrote:Well, unless that's the kind of world you want to play in. I was kind of planning on having the challenges be a bit more... not silly? A super-human running around hitting social deviants with their knuckles seems (to me) to be a massive waste of potential.

Yeah I hadn't assumed it to be that type of world. In fact I agree that 'punch up bad guys' fails at some conceptual levels. Besides my character isn't really a bruiser type. Physically she's a typical relatively fit human female. Her idea of helping isn't looking for criminals to track down, but more like disaster recovery. Right now she'd be headed to Arkansas to help rebuild. Otherwise she does things for fun. After all if you could build a jetpack out of junkyard scrap, wouldn't you?

dudecon wrote: but what kind of stakes are you comfortable with? Bloody nose? Missing memories? A thousand years of humiliating servitude?

Considering normal human physical limits the 1000 years part is probably out for her. As for what makes sense, injuries, capture, being subjected to horrible experiments, etc. are all ok. For example I'm sure she'll have to be careful around Krellen, as I've no doubt they'd love to experiment on her.

Speaking of, the connections bit. I've already mentioned how my conception of her parents is the scientist/ engineer type. Perhaps they worked for the company? Perhaps before it started to go a bit evil. They started working on nanomachines or something, failed repeatedly (gotta keep those contained) and only a select few experiments have succeeded, but none replicated. Paula is one such experiment, and they'd love nothing more than to unlock her secret.
Daemian Lucifer

Re: Savin' the day one question at a time

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:27 pm

dudecon wrote:What bad things are you okay with happening to your characters?

Im ok with almost anything.Since I have 17 characters to play,the permadeath of 16 of them will be my limit.

Ill also try to go over the rest of the characters once more,and write up detailed attitude of my guys towards all of them.If not tomorrow,then over the weekend.

dudecon wrote:(which I'm not familiar with, so in fact I do NOT "know today")

Well then,good news,neither am I!Seriously though,Im using avengers because I like the concept,and the movies,thats it.Basically Im using them just as a broad sketch.The blobs are nerds,true,but they did not have that much time to invest in researching all the lore,plus all of them have their own personalities,so having them not be consistent with the actual avengers should not be a problem.If they misinterpret anything,it wont be story breaking,it will just reveal that they are just masking themselves as the actual avengers.

dudecon wrote:but don't stick to the "shape-shifters that act like comic book people" under the pretense that it's making things easier for me.

No pretense,Im using shape-shifting larpers because I like the concept.

dudecon wrote:The underlying idea is sound. I think you may have more fun with a character that is larping humans in general, as opposed to a specific set of fictional humans.

They would still need an inspiration though.And since the avengers were my inspiration,that will be their inspiration as well.

dudecon wrote:The character you are actually describing already sounds a lot like some sort of self-aware micro-scale machine swarm that has imprinted on some fiction from the internet. I don't think you need magic or extra-dimensional travel to get what you're looking to play as. I'm fine with either way... see my note at the end of this post.

I though about it,but no.Nanites have a bunch of problems that I dont want to worry about(speed of morphing,for example,or waste heat,or the lack of compartmentalization of the mind,etc).Plus,nanites can be fed anything,and I do want these guys to have an ink specific diet.

Return to “Play-by-Post”