Savin' the day!

Text-based gaming!
User avatar
Sudanna

Re: Savin' the day!

Postby Sudanna » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:48 pm

Yeah, all my nascent character ideas are weird and mystical so eh.
User avatar
Santa_Jaws

Re: Savin' the day!

Postby Santa_Jaws » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:56 pm

Yeah but I mean, a concept like that could still work, it just changes from external science, to the science of the mind and body, and what we could one day be capable of. You know, that kind of stuff. I don't know if it's true, but I see it very easily fitting in a world like this.

--------------

EDIT: I always hate editing posts instead of double posting, because I'm worried that I'm adding stuff right as a person is responding so they don't get to read what I originally intended, but I just have to talk some more about this character concept of mine. Sorry.

So basically, you know how people always talk about how people will get crazy surges of adrenaline? Like, you hear stories about mothers ripping apart car doors in order to save their children, or out-running a lion for a split second before they can get to safety, or other such things? I imagine this guy is already physically fit and an incredible all around athlete and physical specimen.

But I imagine that in addition, he'd be able to tap into 'that', any time he wanted, and to a crazy degree. So he can't climb walls, but he could run up a two-story house if he wants. He doesn't have super strength, but he could punch right through a bullet proof glass if he really focused and wanted to. That kind of thing.

What do you think?
User avatar
CraigM

Re: Savin' the day!

Postby CraigM » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:45 am

For the record I am 100% on board with mixing mysticism and tech. Kinda like Shadowrun does. It's a peanut butter and chocolate thing for me, so I say go for it ;)
User avatar
krellen
Location: The City in New Mexico
Contact:

Re: Savin' the day!

Postby krellen » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:52 am

CraigM wrote:For the record I am 100% on board with mixing mysticism and tech. Kinda like Shadowrun does. It's a peanut butter and chocolate thing for me, so I say go for it ;)

If we're doing that, I'm totally taking the "(without the magic)" part out of my question.
PossiblyInsane

Re: Savin' the day!

Postby PossiblyInsane » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:01 am

Mysticism and tech mixing can be fun.
User avatar
mwchase
Contact:

Re: Savin' the day!

Postby mwchase » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:07 am

So, hammering this out some more...

The prison is called the New Utopia Correctional Facility, and it's divided into several wings:
  • The Entry Cell Block: This wing houses new arrivals with powers that do not yet have nanite-based counter-measures developed. Cells in this block may be made of unusual materials, and much of the overall structure is under the command of a semi-autonomous AI, which communicates through the use of a cache of overall low-stat drones. From time to time, outside consultants may be brought on to aid in designing a new temporary containment method.
  • The Main Cell Blocks: The bulk of the prison housing. These follow a more conventional design, since they're meant for prisoners with no active powers.
  • Maximum Security: An auxiliary complex, relatively smaller than the Main Blocks and their associated facilities. The two complexes are effectively independent of one another, and are next to each other mainly because they share technical infrastructure.
  • Administration: A disconnected complex that both provides the primary offices for the human staff, maintenance services for the robots and drones, and some of the containment research and development.
  • Offsite, but close by, is a staging area for the as-yet unnamed loosely affiliated bounty hunters, and transportation services, including an airfield. (The Director prefers to use private aircraft.)

(To be honest, I just kind of skimmed Wikipedia, remembered bits of pop culture, and glossed over details like food. Does anyone see deficiencies with this setup that I should address? I mean, besides, "The Director is totally on track to become a creepy villain who tries to destroy humanity". The possibility of that outcome is intentional.)

So, thinking on bounty hunter concepts, the character I'd like to take inspiration from has, let's see, martial arts abilities, and tactile telekinesis that only works on certain materials. How about my version has the ability to create a forcefield a short way out from their body, but basically conforming to its contours; impacts and pressure against the field dissipate through it without disturbing the interior. So, that's an increased offensive capability, and situational defensive abilities (based on bracing, or being willing to tumble, a lot), counterbalanced normally by the need to breathe. With effort, it's possible to boost the shield enough to shrug off heat and cold based attacks, with the disadvantage that doing so renders them blind, unable to tell whether it's safe to drop the shield, and they still can't breathe for long. I'm going to say this power came from... exposure to "exotic matter". But yeah, not tech-based.

So far as tone... eh, that spoilered-out idea in my concept for the robots is taken straight from a Futurama joke. And I personally went with robots because it was a nice angle, I thought. As for the V... I'll need to plug in some numbers for the various groups...

Let's see:
  • The Director: somewhat above average. Call V at least 10 for now.
  • PR: basically average. Call V overall 15 for now. (With the basic idea that they're a pool of baseline humans I can dip into as I see fit)
  • The Staff: relatively high individual V, although they rely on the facilities for stuff like surveillance and support. Let's suppose they're at 1000 each for now.
  • The Overmind: of similar V to a single robot, but with all of the numbers skewed higher.
  • Maintenance, R&D: somewhat lower individual V than a Staff member
  • Bounty Hunter #1: definitely above 1, but I'm not sure by how much

I was just spitballing those V values. I'm going to try to properly calculate actual A, S, and C scores later.

Hm. Given the discussions and refinements on the first page alone, it might do for us to have a wiki to walk through the basic concepts of character creation under this system, and possibly later discuss other things.
User avatar
4th Dimension

Re: Savin' the day!

Postby 4th Dimension » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:07 am

Nalyd wrote:
I propose the following. Dropped connections annoy him greatly. Prolonged lack of network access will lead to withdrawal symptoms mostly expressed through impotent pathetic childish rage and an obsession with reconnecteng no matter the costs. Although he ould probably be fine for like 6h quadriple that if he prepares for it.
Personality wise he is as you might guess a looser manchild whose onyl reason he is not living in poverty is that he can do ocasional software creation jobs on the side. And as to that poverty thing, he might as well be poor considering his dietary practices and the place he callls home. Basically a cavelike romm with only enough of space for his bed and computer. He has lived there evene since before the event that gave him powers.


Someone's read American Gods.

Nope. I actually haven't. So what makes you say that?
User avatar
Sudanna

Re: Savin' the day!

Postby Sudanna » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:32 am

Because that very very well matches the characterization and powers of the Technical Boy.
User avatar
dudecon
Location: Camarillo, CA. Paul Spooner IRL & blog comments
Contact:

Re: Savin' the day!

Postby dudecon » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:13 am

Okay, I'll respond in detail a bit later. A few quick points:
1. Looks like the latest batch of hero ideas are much more body oriented (self-modification powers instead of modifying the world around them) which is a good balance for all the initial external control ideas.
2. I'm happy to run a setting that includes mystical magical mojo. Note that the tech focused characters might be annoyed by it (thanks for the vote of support CraigM).
3. No matter what setting we end up with, no matter what anyone else is, you can always play as a megacorp!
:)
(not super familiar with the shadowrun variety though, so you'll have to fill me in).
User avatar
krellen
Location: The City in New Mexico
Contact:

Re: Savin' the day!

Postby krellen » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:17 pm

Shadowrun megacorps are pretty much what you'd expect from cyberpunk: international and extraterritorial, often with sovereign private holdings and economies that make them act like distributed nation-states. Some might be tied to/support/prop-up individual governments, but most are happy to just do business wherever will have them.

Except Shadowrun has magic and metahumans, so they have those too. I'm happy to do without either if that's what the setting dictates, however.
User avatar
Santa_Jaws

Re: Savin' the day!

Postby Santa_Jaws » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:55 pm

krellen wrote:Shadowrun megacorps are pretty much what you'd expect from cyberpunk: international and extraterritorial, often with sovereign private holdings and economies that make them act like distributed nation-states. Some might be tied to/support/prop-up individual governments, but most are happy to just do business wherever will have them.

Except Shadowrun has magic and metahumans, so they have those too. I'm happy to do without either if that's what the setting dictates, however.


Basically, they've got mages and stuff on their corporate payroll. And dragons, right? am I remembering that wrong?

EDIT: I entirely forgot to add this, in response to dudecon:

Yeah, he's more internal, but remember that you can't change the world until you change yourself. Change starts from within. ;)
User avatar
CraigM

Re: Savin' the day!

Postby CraigM » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:45 pm

Santa_Jaws wrote:Basically, they've got mages and stuff on their corporate payroll. And dragons, right? am I remembering that wrong?


You got it, for example this guy.

After some consideration there are two ways my characters power could manifest. It could be pure technological (i.e. she harnesses nanobots for her matter reconstruction) or more magical. The magical would be something like this guy. It's not magic in the sense of arcane powers, but operating on a similar principle. Honestly that's probably closer in line to with how I was envisioning the powers (mainly due to the speed of transformation being directly linked to the power, plus nanobots are kinda a cheat in sci fi). It was a nebulous idea in how the power actually performed, though I guess that's no more or less magical than the super blob.
PossiblyInsane

Re: Savin' the day!

Postby PossiblyInsane » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:10 pm

Another way you could have hard science while still keeping the air of mysticism is the old "Sufficiently Advanced Technology", using ancient technology that is not necessarily human, or of this universe, in origin. I have a bit of fondness for the idea of extradimensional machinery, which works well with this system (with each mystic super-human being the face of a country's worth of mechanics working behind the curtain).
User avatar
Santa_Jaws

Re: Savin' the day!

Postby Santa_Jaws » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:26 pm

I think our team is really awesome so far, judging by our rough drafts.
User avatar
Daemian Lucifer

Re: Savin' the day!

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:59 am

Ok,before going further into detail,I need something explained.We are using average people as the basis,but where does that put athletes?A pro boxer would be about 5 times as strong as a regular guy,but would that put him into A=5,because he still wouldnt be 5 times as smart?And if an athlete that excels at one thing is at A=5,what would someone who is 5 times as strong,5 times as smart and 5 times as fast as a regular human be?Would they be at A=5,15 or 125?

Basically,what would be the value of one of my ink blots if each of them individually is about as strong as a strongest human,runs as fast as a fastest human,can jump as high and as far as the best athlete jumper,...
User avatar
dudecon
Location: Camarillo, CA. Paul Spooner IRL & blog comments
Contact:

Re: Savin' the day!

Postby dudecon » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:17 am

First, a few general points:

Foremost: The characters that you are describing, backstory, powers, everything... they are all suggestions at this point. When everyone has settled on characters I'm going to do a few passes and smooth everything out, as well as come up with a setting, history, general description of the state of the game world, etc. If you want total control over who and what your character is and does, I strongly encourage you to go write a few stories about them. For this setting, you're going to have to put up with my alterations and adaptations of your ideas to make everything work together. Sorry if I didn't make that clear from the beginning.

Anyway, to restate. I will be running this campaign, including all of your characters, based on, but not mandated by, your direction. My current plan is to have a Google Doc (or some other form of public document) which is the ongoing story, and which only I will edit. As always, I'll try to be as even handed, fair, and accommodating as possible. However, the lack of rule structure leaves very little room for argument. I've never done a campaign like this before, so maybe it's a terrible idea... anyway, we'll find out.

Invulnerable outfits? Discuss.
I'm partial to destructible clothing myself, especially since we don't need to look at the results, and it adds another level of realism.

Don't forget waste products! Byproducts of metabolism are way too often completely ignored. I don't want to RP every bathroom break, but exotic diet will result in exotic waste. If your super hero's super power is being able to live off of radioactive ore, they are going to probably shit bricks... of radioactive glass or whatever. Waste heat can be a problem for extremely energy dense characters as well, so think about that too. Super speed and super strength generate a lot of friction which equals heat. Same thing with high metabolism. Super powered characters might be literally smoking hot (as well as figuratively of course)

Daemian Lucifer wrote:
dudecon wrote:No one has (so far) expressed serious interest in: Immortality, magic, comedy, or absurdity.
But thats precisely why I asked about rogue and deadpool.
"Asking about" ≠ "expressing serious interest"
Daemian Lucifer wrote:... exactly X characters were formed out of living ink(Ill have to decide on the exact number depending on the strength of this concept,though Im partial to 17).They can shape change at will,though they have to maintain the same volume,however they can change their density a bit(lets say from 25% to 500% of their original).

They posses telepathic communication between themselves,and operate sort of like a hive mind,but the range of this is limited,and can be obstructed with regular matter(their cognitive functions do suffer when separated).However,they cannot communicate with actual sound(inner organs of humans are unknown to them),but they can communicate by forming speech bubbles from themselves floating in mid air...

They dont need to feed or rest,nor do they feel pain,but they can be hurt in some unconventional ways(for example,they can be dissolved with water or burned by fire,so they arent immortal),and so they have to feed on ink in order to regenerate...
Okay! Basic living liquid shape shifter. Let's talk about it.
Living liquid is kind of the ultimate adaptable form. Plus, if they can change density (I think you meant to say that mass was conserved, instead of volume?) then they have some of the properties of a gas as well. Permanent vapor form!

So, I think we need to establish some boundaries on their powers.
1. The Motile Unit. This is the minimum dimension that the shape-shifter can form and still move around. Also, (approximately) the smallest thing the shape-shifter can manipulate. Are you thinking a centimeter, like an octopus? or squeezing through cracks a milimeter wide? Or a few microns so the shape-shifters can soak into paper (like ink) and still function? Or a few nanometers so they can enter living cells of other creatures?
2. The Vital Unit. This is the smallest piece a shape-shifter can break into and still function. If you chop these guys into a thousand pieces, can all thousand still work together? Independently? Generally, the vital unit is a couple of orders of magnitude larger than the motile unit.
3. Can the individuals merge together? If they share a hive mind, why not a body as well? Can they transfer mass from one individual to another?

Also, the "they never eat" thing needs to go. In general, the harder you work, the more you need to eat (energy balance). For the purposes of the setting, we're going say that super-powered folks can get away with eating far less than the energy they expend would normally require, but that doesn't mean they can eat nothing. Being able to function normally (expend energy) without eating (absorbing energy) basically means upkeep cost = 0, which breaks stuff. So, figure out what these guys need to stay alive. Comic books? Vats of ink? The adulation of masses of adoring fans? Whatever it is, this will be the primary factor in figuring out their upkeep (for humans it's air, water, food, with the associated waste removal for each).

PossiblyInsane wrote:Krieg... grows his creations from his body. The simpler and less oversight intensive the biological construct, the easier it is to make and maintain... Controlling and maintaining multiple creatures becomes exponentially more difficult. It is easier to allow creatures to independently function, freeing concentration so that more can be created using the same amount of material. Independently functioning creatures lose the coordination and efficiency of a shared consciousness...
This sounds remarkably similar to the idea above, which raises the same kind of questions. Telepathy, shared body, re-absorption, minimum dimensions all stuff that need to be addressed. Two shape-shifters! Exciting!
4th Dimension wrote:*fuck* I was composing a response and was logged out while doing and so lost it so what follows is a much shortter thing, since I can not be bothered with writing the whole thing again.
I hate it when that happens!
4th Dimension wrote:I propose the following. Dropped connections annoy him greatly... withdrawal symptoms... pathetic childish rage... obsession... looser manchild... living charicature of the most awrfully stereotypical internet user, youtube poster and such... He has NO idea how any of the stuff that he does works.
Again, you can RP him however you want. As far as his powers go, though, I'm evaluating based on pure potential, not personality.

Santa_Jaws wrote:It's funny, one of my ideas was actually a sort of toned down sort of vigilante, kind of like Batman but minus the gadgets, and does things purely with his physicality. And originally, I imagined that he had kind of a Far Eastern, Hindu kind of thing going, where it was all mind over matter. Kind of like the spiritual aspects of the first Matrix movie, actually. Where he could leap buildings because he -believed- he could leap buildings, that kind of thing... is the mysticism and pseudo spiritual aspect of that character straying too far from your world idea? If so, I could totally change him up somehow.
You've got it the wrong way around. I'm shaping my idea of the world based on the characters that you guys want to play. So, yeah, that works fine, as long as none of the other players strongly object. I'll enjoy having a more spiritual character in the campaign, as it's a quality I share in real life.
Santa_Jaws wrote:... you know how people always talk about how people will get crazy surges of adrenaline? Like, you hear stories about mothers ripping apart car doors in order to save their children, or out-running a lion for a split second before they can get to safety, or other such things? I imagine this guy is already physically fit and an incredible all around athlete and physical specimen.

But I imagine that in addition, he'd be able to tap into 'that', any time he wanted, and to a crazy degree. So he can't climb walls, but he could run up a two-story house if he wants. He doesn't have super strength, but he could punch right through a bullet proof glass if he really focused and wanted to. That kind of thing.

What do you think?
I think that sounds awesome! The drawback of being able to push himself to his limits is, of course, that he could go right over the limits and seriously injure himself. What was that anime, where the lady is tearing an armored tank apart, and ends up ripping her own arms off? Anyway, mystical batman could easily end up breaking his own bones by slightly miss-judging his abilities compared to the task that he's attempting.
mwchase wrote:So, hammering this out some more...New Utopia Correctional Facility, and it's divided into several wings...
I really admire your attention to detail, and your devotion to fleshing out the prison concept. However, I'm afraid you're rather out-stripping the other players character concepts. Keep refining the character concept, but realize that the fine details may need significant alteration after we've got a better idea what everyone else wants to play and the setting we'll all be playing in.
mwchase wrote:...Given the discussions and refinements on the first page alone, it might do for us to have a wiki to walk through the basic concepts of character creation under this system, and possibly later discuss other things.
I'd rather play it loose. You've probably got an org-chart and floorplans all drawn up, but I don't want to require that from everyone. The main strength of the "not a system" system I'm using is that it doesn't require people to all use the same method to create their characters. A general description is as good as as a wiki article, as far as I'm concerned.
That said, it would be really cool if you want to write up a document about the nuances of the NUCF. I can't promise I'll use all of it, but it's good to have ideas to draw from!

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Ok,before going further into detail,I need something explained.We are using average people as the basis,but where does that put athletes?A pro boxer would be about 5 times as strong as a regular guy,but would that put him into A=5,because he still wouldnt be 5 times as smart?And if an athlete that excels at one thing is at A=5,what would someone who is 5 times as strong,5 times as smart and 5 times as fast as a regular human be?Would they be at A=5,15 or 125?

Basically,what would be the value of one of my ink blots if each of them individually is about as strong as a strongest human,runs as fast as a fastest human,can jump as high and as far as the best athlete jumper,...
The whole numeric thing is to give you a rough order-of-magnitude idea of the relative value of characters. I'm not looking for dictation of the precise numerical values of all the characters. Like you say, there's a lot that goes into it. It's just a guideline. If you find it useful, use it. If you find the whole math thing cumbersome or obstructive to your idea of what your character is, ignore it. I'll handle all the stuff behind the scenes anyway. We're certainly not going to be rolling "S" checks or anything. The system I have in mind is highly narrative and focused on character desire, not specific actions and numbers.

I hope that helps!
Santa_Jaws wrote:I think our team is really awesome so far, judging by our rough drafts.
I agree! Good start everyone!
User avatar
mwchase
Contact:

Re: Savin' the day!

Postby mwchase » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:02 am

dudecon wrote:
mwchase wrote:So, hammering this out some more...New Utopia Correctional Facility, and it's divided into several wings...
I really admire your attention to detail, and your devotion to fleshing out the prison concept. However, I'm afraid you're rather out-stripping the other players character concepts. Keep refining the character concept, but realize that the fine details may need significant alteration after we've got a better idea what everyone else wants to play and the setting we'll all be playing in.
mwchase wrote:...Given the discussions and refinements on the first page alone, it might do for us to have a wiki to walk through the basic concepts of character creation under this system, and possibly later discuss other things.
I'd rather play it loose. You've probably got an org-chart and floorplans all drawn up, but I don't want to require that from everyone. The main strength of the "not a system" system I'm using is that it doesn't require people to all use the same method to create their characters. A general description is as good as as a wiki article, as far as I'm concerned.
That said, it would be really cool if you want to write up a document about the nuances of the NUCF. I can't promise I'll use all of it, but it's good to have ideas to draw from!

Heh, floorplans. Really, I'm making this up as I go along. (Granted, I do have some idea of the internal layout of the cell blocks, but that's because several different fictional prisons, and at least one real one, all have similar layouts and I'm enthusiastic to be lazy here.) In any case, I'll try to do some writing over the weekend.
User avatar
CraigM

Re: Savin' the day!

Postby CraigM » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:51 pm

Appolodora Damascapodous, who goes by Paula, was born to a family of engineers of mixed Greek-Turkish decent. As such she was constantly observing her parents experiments. As so often happens when you mix industrial strength projects and children, an accident happened. A vial of failed nanomachines spilled on her, though she was ultimately unharmed. Seeing her safe, and knowing that the vial was only a failed experiment, nobody thought much of the incident until years later, when she became a teenager. In the presence of her hormones the nanomachines started to work and replicate.

She discovered this when, by accident, she got upset and attempted to lock herself in her bedroom. Well she did, but not in the manner expected. The nanomachines, responding to her hormones (EDIT: this is to create a reason so they work for her, her alone, and could not be replicated outside of her body /EDIT), locked the door when she closed it... by forming it into a solid wall. Thus she discovered her ability to manipulate matter by touch. The Damascapodous', not wanting to leave her power uncontrolled, worked to train her. Once she graduated High School she went to college, and majored in Materials Engineering with a minor in Physics.

Now trained, and able to control her power, she entered a world full of other strange and powerful beings, and attempted to make a difference. Calling herself The Alchemist and wearing a gold jumpsuit and grey backpack (with lots of pockets and baubles) she seeks her role in this world.
User avatar
Daemian Lucifer

Re: Savin' the day!

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:50 pm

dudecon wrote:Okay! Basic living liquid shape shifter. Let's talk about it.
Living liquid is kind of the ultimate adaptable form. Plus, if they can change density (I think you meant to say that mass was conserved, instead of volume?) then they have some of the properties of a gas as well. Permanent vapor form!


Whoops,my mistake.Yes,they need to preserve the same mass when changing their volume.And not really properties of a gas,but of a compressible liquid.So they have an upper and lower limit of their expansion/compression that is not as tolerable as that of a gas.Hence why I decided to go with 25-500%.Though maybe even that is too high,and something like 75-250% would fit better.

dudecon wrote:1. The Motile Unit. This is the minimum dimension that the shape-shifter can form and still move around. Also, (approximately) the smallest thing the shape-shifter can manipulate. Are you thinking a centimeter, like an octopus? or squeezing through cracks a milimeter wide? Or a few microns so the shape-shifters can soak into paper (like ink) and still function? Or a few nanometers so they can enter living cells of other creatures?


Hmmm....Well since they should be able to absorb ink straight from the paper(drying up a comic book,or a news paper),I guess that makes the minimum size they can control on the scale of a micrometer.However,the process in reverse(them spraying out pieces of themselves)should be at least one order of magnitude bigger than that.

dudecon wrote:2. The Vital Unit. This is the smallest piece a shape-shifter can break into and still function. If you chop these guys into a thousand pieces, can all thousand still work together? Independently? Generally, the vital unit is a couple of orders of magnitude larger than the motile unit.


Well the only constant,indivisible part of each one should be their mind,so lets say that they need about the volume of one humans head(in their default density)in order to keep that mind intact.So while hawkeye blot would be able to fire arrows made out of solidified ink,he would not be able to put his mind inside one of those,and would have to go fetch that piece of him on his own.So the only parts of the blot capable of movement would be those that are connected to one of the minds.

dudecon wrote:3. Can the individuals merge together? If they share a hive mind, why not a body as well? Can they transfer mass from one individual to another?


Yes,they can merge bodies,but they would still be 17 minds in a single body(sort of like a multicore processor of a computer).

dudecon wrote:Also, the "they never eat" thing needs to go. In general, the harder you work, the more you need to eat (energy balance). For the purposes of the setting, we're going say that super-powered folks can get away with eating far less than the energy they expend would normally require, but that doesn't mean they can eat nothing. Being able to function normally (expend energy) without eating (absorbing energy) basically means upkeep cost = 0, which breaks stuff. So, figure out what these guys need to stay alive. Comic books? Vats of ink? The adulation of masses of adoring fans? Whatever it is, this will be the primary factor in figuring out their upkeep (for humans it's air, water, food, with the associated waste removal for each).


Well I mean they never eat in the conventional sense,because they dont spend energy to operate.However,because ink is being dissolved by water,which exists in the atmosphere,they are constantly being eroded.More if the air is particularly moist,foggy or they are in the rain.Similarly,they also slowly evaporate from the heat.In the end,the more parts of them there are,the more exposed surface there would be,so the more they would evaporate.Hence they would be resting merged into a single semisphere,whenever that is possible.So lets say that in a period of rest,divided into 17 spheres,in an average humidity and temperature each one would lose about one liter of themselves.

As for the diet,any form of ink would suffice,though colored ink is would be their preference(the closer it is to the comic they were made out of,the better).Of course,absorbing too thick of an ink would lead to them excreting some of the solid matter,and if the ink is too thin they would need a bit more of it in order to compensate,while excreting some of the liquid matter in the process.
PossiblyInsane

Re: Savin' the day!

Postby PossiblyInsane » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:10 am

1. The Motile Unit: Krieg controls growth and various body parts with nerve impulses, so his smallest motile unit would be what a nerve fiber could effectively control. The simplest arrangement would be a nerve fiber surrounded by a layer of muscle cells, putting the length on a side to 150-300 microns (1.5-3.0 x10^-4 m, or 0.15-0.3 mm)

2. The Vital Unit: Krieg needs a certain amount of nerve tissue in one piece to maintain consciousness, control growth, maintain vital functions, and store memories. Taking the human brain and making a rough estimate excluding emotion processing, sense processing, and muscle control areas, I'm going to estimate a fist sized chunk or two is needed to stay alive. If it drops below that point, something might regenerate, but it wouldn't be Krieg. Alternatively, (depending on what was damaged), Krieg would still be alive, but wouldn't be able to grow back or stay alive for very long on his own.

3. Can individuals merge together? Yes, but with limits. If Krieg is splitting his consciousness across two bodies, merging them together would take about as much time and effort as altering the bodies or growing new ones. If the creature in question is functioning on it's own without Krieg's direct mental oversight, then it takes Krieg additional time to neuter the creature's mind and immune system, so it doesn't instinctively resist the merging. If the creature in question has somehow overridden it's hardwired instinct to do as the master wills and has acquired a self-preservation instinct, then this will take a lot of effort.


Ask, and ye shall receive. I shall edit in a short story below over the course of the next day or two.
User avatar
dudecon
Location: Camarillo, CA. Paul Spooner IRL & blog comments
Contact:

Re: Savin' the day!

Postby dudecon » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:42 am

dudecon wrote:...If you want total control over who and what your character is and does, I strongly encourage you to go write a few stories about them. For this setting, you're going to have to put up with my alterations and adaptations of your ideas to make everything work together. Sorry if I didn't make that clear from the beginning....
From the responses, maybe I need to clarify a bit more.
I mean that, by writing your own story, you will have authority (you are the author) over what happens in that story. For the purposes of the joint campaign, however, I am the author, so I have the authority. Does that make sense? Writing a story about your character won't give you any more authority in this campaign, but it will let you excercise authority in the sense that you can choose to write anything you want.

Basically, I'm fine with any/all of you maintaining head-canon about what "really" happens in the campaign. You can share it, or not, as you see fit. Being a GM basically means that my head-canon is the official one, but I'd be fascinated if the storyline ends up branching or any of you begin running parallel stories to the official one. Anyway, as much to say, you're all free to do whatever you want with any of these characters or ideas, and I'll do the same.

If any of you feel inspired to write about your character, or make art, or create stuff based on any of this, I heartily encourage you to do so, not because it will give you power over me and the choices that I make, but because it will not only enrich yourself through exercising personal expression, but also enrich the lives of others to the extent that such creative expressions are shared.

CraigM wrote:...Paula... The Alchemist...
Rockin! I can tell I'm going to have to loosen my sanity a bit in order to synchronize all these backstories. Should be fun!
Daemian Lucifer wrote:...Whoops,my mistake.Yes,they need to preserve the same mass when changing their volume... 25-500%.Though maybe even that is too high,and something like 75-250% would fit better...
Hmmm....Well since they should be able to absorb ink straight from the paper(drying up a comic book,or a news paper),I guess that makes the minimum size they can control on the scale of a micrometer.However,the process in reverse(them spraying out pieces of themselves)should be at least one order of magnitude bigger than that... lets say that they need about the volume of one humans head(in their default density)in order to keep that mind intact... Yes,they can merge bodies,but they would still be 17 minds in a single body(sort of like a multicore processor of a computer).
Digestion absorbs stuff much smaller than can be normally manipulated. The human motile unit is about a centimeter (finger width), even though we can absorb molecular nutrients. If you actually want them to be able to squeeze through micrometer wide holes, they are going to be really powerful. Basically, larger motile units are cheaper.
Also, 1/5x to 5x (or even more) should be fine, as they can open up internal voids or suck in air (assuming this campaign has air) to grow larger (though weaker).
Daemian Lucifer wrote:
dudecon wrote:Also, the "they never eat" thing needs to go... Being able to function normally (expend energy) without eating (absorbing energy) basically means upkeep cost = 0, which breaks stuff...
Well I mean they never eat in the conventional sense,because they dont spend energy to operate...
Sadly, your character must spend energy to operate in my campaign. If you want to have a character that runs forever for free, that's fine, but it will have to be somewhere else. Fortunately, a basal metabolism of 1L/day of ink matches your stated intention pretty well, so I'm going to go with that. Note, however, that this is pretty low by human standards, so it's going to drive your character value up even more.
PossiblyInsane wrote:1. The Motile Unit: ... 150-300 microns...
2. The Vital Unit: ... a fist sized chunk or two is needed to stay alive. If it drops below that point, something might regenerate, but it wouldn't be Krieg...
3. Can individuals merge together? Yes, but with limits. If Krieg is splitting his consciousness across two bodies, merging them together would take about as much time and effort as altering the bodies or growing new ones...
Sounds good. What kind of regeneration do you have in mind? Also, it seems like Krieg could absorb other biological materials as well as merging with his clones. Or, maybe because they have different DNA this doesn't work? Anyway, being able to become a parasite latching onto and controlling other creatures/people sounds like it goes along nicely with the "neuter the creature's mind and immune system" aspect.
PossiblyInsane wrote:Ask, and ye shall receive. I shall edit in a short story below over the course of the next day or two.
I'm glad everyone is interested in writing about their characters! But, just to state again, you don't need to write anything. I'm stating that writing is the best way I've found to satisfy the desire for complete control over fictional events; This same satisfaction is not guaranteed from your involvement in this campaign, no matter how extensive. I feel like a jerk saying this over and over again, but I don't want anyone to feel like they were laboring under false pretenses.
User avatar
Santa_Jaws

Re: Savin' the day!

Postby Santa_Jaws » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:13 am

It's as if you already knew deep down how lazy I am. Thank you. :P
User avatar
Daemian Lucifer

Re: Savin' the day!

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:06 am

dudecon wrote:Digestion absorbs stuff much smaller than can be normally manipulated.


True,but while humans digest stuff internally,extracting precise nutrients from food in their guts,these guys would extract nutrients from stuff outside of them.

dudecon wrote:The human motile unit is about a centimeter (finger width), even though we can absorb molecular nutrients. If you actually want them to be able to squeeze through micrometer wide holes, they are going to be really powerful. Basically, larger motile units are cheaper.


No,basically I want them to be able to expunge small pellets or needles of nonsapient ink of about 10 microns,but for their brains they would need at least a needle sized width(so about 1 millimeter).

dudecon wrote:Also, 1/5x to 5x (or even more) should be fine, as they can open up internal voids or suck in air (assuming this campaign has air) to grow larger (though weaker).


Yes,thats basically what I had in mind.They could grow part of them denser in order to punch through something,or less dense in order to gain in size and buoyancy.

dudecon wrote:Note, however, that this is pretty low by human standards, so it's going to drive your character value up even more.


I have thought of that.However,keep in mind that thats the amount of ink they LOSE in a rest state.In order to gain that amount back,they would need 1l of specific ink(the same type used for their origin book),or more of some other type(so lets say 3l of regular black newspaper ink).
User avatar
mwchase
Contact:

Re: Savin' the day!

Postby mwchase » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:52 pm

I've got some drafts up, of in-universe documentation (with some notes/'redactions' from me). Here's the link: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

If it were possible for backstories in a thing like this to be "spoilers", the (classified) document probably counts.
User avatar
krellen
Location: The City in New Mexico
Contact:

Re: Savin' the day!

Postby krellen » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:31 pm

I should warn you all that I've been watching Metalocalypse and it's giving me ideas for my megacorp.

Return to “Play-by-Post”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest