Savin' the day!

Text-based gaming!
PossiblyInsane

Re: Savin' the day!

Postby PossiblyInsane » Sun May 11, 2014 5:26 pm

dudecon wrote:Question for ALL PLAYERS:
How do you all feel about Krellen and PossiblyInsane playing "bad guys" where they can read what the "good guys" are talking about (and vice versa)? If it's okay with you all, I'm down for it too.

I would be okay with that.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Sun May 11, 2014 6:21 pm

Just going to toss out some ideas, now that the stuff I mentioned in my last post is mostly resolved.

The fact that Armand got his powers from an accident (maybe) would seem to perhaps fit into the metagene/mutate concept from DC/Marvel, respectively. In which case, superpower potential is heritable (but sometimes capable of arising spontaneously), but it needs an external trigger to push the body to realize that potential. I'm not sure how well something along those lines would fit into, you know, coming of age ceremonies and whatnot. Maybe it really has to be an otherwise-fatal incident. Anyone have any feelings on "the potential is heritable, but unpredictable"?

On a related note to the "evil PC" question, I'd like to reiterate the Director's potential to "go rogue". I can't give any certain specifics about how exactly I think that would go down, but I'd probably be playing the Director on their own, maybe with some NPC support if dudecon is willing, and the rest of the NUCF operating mostly as usual.

I think having an additional complex for the purposes of some witness-protection-y stuff (in cases where new identities wouldn't work out, for whatever reason) sounds fun.
CraigM

Postby CraigM » Sun May 11, 2014 8:53 pm

Since this is a narrative style RPG, not a rules based one, I'm totally ok with having PC 'enemies'. They don't even need to be enemies r3eally, just working towards different goals, often antagonistic. There isn't any reason that we go from fighting against Kremlin's corp, to having to (grudgingly) work together towards a goal. It's a common trope for a reason. Ultimately the 'ally' vs 'enemy' designation can be rather fluid because the campaign style.

As for the long term portions of the world building... hmm. The non-inheritable part works for me, otherwise we'd likely run into a scenario where 'supers' are going to be the plutocrats of this world. In short if powers could be inherited, every super would be Batman. We don't need that baggage. One possible way around that would be that certain traits are inheritable but only were triggered when exposed to modern technology. Meaning the presence of certain types of energies and whatnot triggered dormant genes. This way you could have a world with some super through history, but they would have been less visible in a pre technological age.

As for the role of supers in society, well there are naturally going to be some dilemmas. For example people with some kind of super power are going to be far more likely to be monitored. After all if you have people capable of leveling a building, police forces are going to keep an eye out for trouble. Perhaps at alternating times in history they have been imprisoned, condemned, treated as gods, made kings/ queens, etc. Perhaps in cycles, so right now they've come out of a cycle of distrust and persecution (sequestered into prison labor camps and such), but for the last 20 years or so have been integrated into society. So there is an inherent distrust on both sides, and supers are informally monitored, but are mostly left alone. Some, like The Alchemist, are likely to work in government sponsored roles. She, for example, might be working on city building crews for a day job. So when the city needs to install a dam, she will use her power to temporarily alter the water flow, while the crew works on the foundations. Stuff like that. Maybe she only does so as a contractor, not a regular 40 hour job or something, I dunno. But I do think the notion of an unemployed super being would put most places on edge. Last thing you need is a stressed out and moody human wrecking crew. So It seems to make sense that cities would go out of their way to find things for supers to do if they don't have a regular job.

I'm pretty easy going, so whatever works for everyone will likely work for me. I just generally agree society would find a way to deal with supers. Perhaps not well, or even consistent, but a way none the less.
krellen

Postby krellen » Sun May 11, 2014 11:29 pm

I suppose if we're going to have a history of out-of-work supers, one thing Atlantech might do is have a "Powers Union" sort of thing going on, where they proactively attempt to match up super-powered people with super-powered needs - taking a finders fee, of course, when appropriate, but with just the right amount of outright charity (funding the power's efforts from their own payroll) to keep up appearances.

And of course it never hurts to have supers who owe you favours - or are on your payroll.
Santa_Jaws

Postby Santa_Jaws » Mon May 12, 2014 3:20 am

I just want to interject here, that that SMBC comic of Superman would be seriously disrupted the second General Zod lands on earth trying to conquer it, or Doomsday lands on earth and starts slaughtering people, or Lex Luthor starts drilling through the earth for whatever insane reason. In the DC Universe at least, there are constant threats to the earth(or at least major cities) that will strike in an instant if the hero in question isn't there to stop it.

Of course, not sure if that will be the case here, but thought I'd give my random two cents.
CraigM

Postby CraigM » Mon May 12, 2014 12:14 pm

Just saw my post again, and god damn it autocorrect. Kremlin *sigh* On that note tonight I am going to figure how to turn that off on my tablet. Really annoying.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon May 12, 2014 1:28 pm

CraigM wrote:Just saw my post again, and god damn it autocorrect. Kremlin *sigh* On that note tonight I am going to figure how to turn that off on my tablet. Really annoying.

Hah,Ive just noticed.Hilarious.

Shouldnt it have "autocorrect off for proper names" option?But I dont know if you should use it,because Kremlin corp has a nice ring to it,dont you think?
krellen

Postby krellen » Mon May 12, 2014 1:39 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Shouldnt it have "autocorrect off for proper names" option?

The fact that my name, properly spelled, is all lowercase probably doesn't help.
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Fri May 16, 2014 8:24 am

Questions for ALL PLAYERS:
1. Do you all desire to see a setting such as Earth? In history, geography, and form as well as in biology and physics? I am quite capable of making this, or otherwise, or somewhere in-between. I lean towards putting people on a foreign planet, simplified ecology, and such. A place where dictionary terms may be employed, but where specific cases, places, races, may depart quite vastly from our own.
2. Do you wish to struggle with a foe as large as all of you, or larger? Or is a more mundane, distributed, and placid challenge what you seek? Punching clocks (or criminals) calls for different setting than a cosmic horror, alien invasions, and the like. Which do you expect? I can do both, or either, but lean toward the first.

As to the previous question:
Four in favor, none opposed. So, yeah, let's do it! Players fightin' players!
I mean, potentially. You don't have to by any means. But, if it turns out that way... Let the treachery begin!
Daemian Lucifer wrote:...And large aspects,like every Xth human that ever lived had a super power,touch practically everything.Decreasing such aspect to "only recently every Xth human developed a super power" would reduce the difference enough for it to touch only manageable parts of the society...
I will overlook your implication that my skill is not a match for such descriptions. Rather, let us ask the question. (see the top of this post)
Daemian Lucifer wrote:...If we have just one hercules(superman is problematic because of super speed,so lets not use him) for every town,we will not be using him to erect every wall when we have machines to do that,but we will call him to lift a huge boulder that nothing else can.
And then, before machines were made, should Hercules be harnessed to the plow? To lift huge boulders is most menial. It seems the pyramids could have been built by supers!
Daemian Lucifer wrote:
dudecon wrote:Why wouldn't supers be something regular, accepted, and incorporated into society?
Because that would stop making them unique... So while supers should be accepted and incorporated,they should not be something regular.They should be our Stephen Hawkings,not our run of the mill high school physics professor...
And yet, 5ppm is far more common than one Stephen Hawking. It matches fairly well to HS prof's in fact. What was your point?
Daemian Lucifer wrote:...the suit is the power,not the guy inside.So sticking someone else inside would not change the powers,only alter the personality of the character.So the powers would still not be transferable.This is ok because we arent considering humans to be characters we play,but rather concepts(a team,a corporation,a robot,a mutant,...).
Well, I wouldn't call this "super power" either, as it's plain technology. Some super powers lend themselves more readily to tech augmentation than others do. Supernatural immunity to extreme accelerations, for example, is one of Tony Stark's powers (apparently). Site Surfer is an extreme example, as he's mostly useless without computers (high reflexes not-withstanding). Supers that generate electricity could be quite powerful in league with robot armor. I'm sure you get the idea.

krellen wrote:
dudecon wrote:People are, both in bulk and atomically, inherently selfish.
Citation needed...
My intention was to inform you of my stance, the one I will employ when running this campaign. We can discuss this in the Religion subforum if you like.
PossiblyInsane wrote:...could we just agree that broad, sweeping, highly debatable statements on human nature are a no-no?
Sadly, we can not. As GM I must inform the players of my views, how I intend to run the campaign. I said in my first post this could be uncomfortable... a-like-a-so:
dudecon wrote:... If I'm the GM, this answer will necessarily be in line with my beliefs, which are unashamedly "religious" in nature. I'm not going to hit anyone over the head with it, if I can help it, but I'm not going to pretend that my GM style is free from these influences. In a superhero setting especially, I suspect we will run aground on these shallows more than once...
You have already been forewarned. I'm not going to defend or discuss my position here, but I am going to let you all know what my position is when circumstances require it.

So, to re-iterate, krellen basically said "corporations are inherently selfish" to which I respond "They may be selfish, but it doesn't make them worse than anyone else." This statement will hold true for the in-game world, regardless of its truth or lack therof in real life. I am not open to feedback on this matter.
PossiblyInsane wrote:...Superhumans may find alternative means to use their powers, some of which may include energy generation, but anyone who is powerful enough to generate energy for an entire city is not going to run on a treadmill in one room 24-7, at least not without getting angry with his/her lot in life and/or going insane...
So, you're saying they will be integrated into society, since at least some of them will choose to generate power? As for boredom, even the gym treadmills have televisions. If a whole city relied on one person doing their job, you can bet that person would be well paid, entertained, and encouraged. I'm sure imagination will illuminate the possibilities.
Nalyd wrote:Tons of potential reasons. A stigma due to historical misuse of superpowers (think how atomic energy still has a bad reputation), some portion of superpowered people just not playing along, religious or ideological persecution/ostracization, their existence being kept secret or exploited by a group that cares more about their own power than common welfare, any number of political reasons in a democracy (Superman is stealing our jobs!), something fundamentally unpredictable about superpowers, something questionable about their source. . . No end of options.
All well and good. But it is the extenuating circumstances added on to "super powers" that are objectionable, not the powers themselves. If the players wish to engage in a setting where such circumstances are the case, I am happy to oblige. However, so far, none of these issues have been discussed. In essence, I was assuming "green" super powers, free from inherently harmful adverse side-effects. That is, aside from the "cost" component, which has already been touched on, and which none of the players has thus far employed to any great effect. Are you interested in playing as a high-cost superhero? It's not too late to join the fun!
Nalyd wrote:The arc of the universe is long, and it doesn't bend anywhere near long-term economic rationality.
I disagree. On this, too, I am adamant. You'll find my full reasoning here.
mwchase wrote:...the metagene/mutate concept from DC/Marvel, respectively. In which case, superpower potential is heritable (but sometimes capable of arising spontaneously), but it needs an external trigger to push the body to realize that potential. I'm not sure how well something along those lines would fit into, you know, coming of age ceremonies and whatnot...
CraigM wrote:...The non-inheritable part works for me, otherwise we'd likely run into a scenario where 'supers' are going to be the plutocrats of this world...
Why stop there?
Okay, let's just say super-powers appeared suddenly, are heritable, and you need potentially lethal circumstances to activate the genes... This goes very poorly very quickly.
Possible trigger words? (SO VERY POORLY)
ONE WEEK LATER
Universal violence between males. All males either are revealed as having super-powers, die in the attempt, or are castrated and treated as animals. Many women die as well.
ONE MONTH LATER
Every female has either unlocked her super-human potential, or is pregnant by a super-human male (or both).
ONE YEAR LATER
All the new babies are thrown off of a cliff into the ocean. The survivors have super powers. Normal women who don't bear super-human children are slaughtered or enslaved like animals. Welcome to super-sparta.
FIFTEEN YEARS LATER
Everyone who is anyone has super powers. Anyone without super-powers has been either killed or (rarely) relegated to the status of animals.

I'm not saying it HAS to go that way, or that it WOULD go that way. I'm just saying that seems (to me) to be the natural rational thing for the good guys to do in that situation. The bad guys aren't much worse though, so there's that.
I'm open to speculation and correction here though. If you guys can convince me things wouldn't go pear-shaped in a New-York minute, I'll consider heritable trauma-triggered super powers.
CraigM wrote:...triggered when exposed to modern technology. Meaning the presence of certain types of energies and whatnot triggered dormant genes. This way you could have a world with some super through history, but they would have been less visible in a pre technological age...
Not a bad idea! Maybe electricity or something, so you could become super if struck by lightning? I'll consider it.
Also, CraigM, as for the rest of your ideas... I'm glad someone here can read my mind.
Santa_Jaws wrote:SMBC comic of Superman would be seriously disrupted the second General Zod lands on earth trying to conquer it... not sure if that will be the case here, but thought I'd give my random two cents.
Do you WANT it to be the case? I was going forward with the assumption that you would all be dealing with other human-centric supers and such. If there's a desire for some sort of pending galactic catastrophe that requires the combined efforts of everyone to deflect, I'd be more than happy to accommodate it! (see the question at the top)
krellen

Postby krellen » Fri May 16, 2014 2:22 pm

dudecon wrote:Okay, let's just say super-powers appeared suddenly, are heritable, and you need potentially lethal circumstances to activate the genes... This goes very poorly very quickly. [..] I'm just saying that seems (to me) to be the natural rational thing for the good guys to do in that situation.

Given this and other things, I'm relatively certain I'm not particularly interested in this project any more.

FWIW, you're welcome to keep Atlantech.
Last edited by krellen on Fri May 16, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Fri May 16, 2014 9:01 pm

Hmm. Mmm. Mmm.

It's worth noting that, while a lot of human behavior is probably self-serving, at the same time, we're nothing like the mathematical idea of a "rational actor". People don't act to maximize "utility", we have likes and dislikes, habits, etc. (I was actually reading a book that made a case for a particular theory of what morality is for, and where it might have come from. I suspect that getting into the "for" could get really contentious, boring, or both.)

So far as a eugenics program... that relies on the idea that the lost productivity from universal eugenics is offset by gains from supers. ... It's also worth wondering whether regular infant mortality could trigger it. Maybe this needs to be patched with a minimum age. (On power levels: it's worth noting that there are three single individual characters who are supposed to be at the campaign power cap. The NUCF, Atlantech, and the Inkvengers are all group characters, and if I get the UI up to the planned 5 members, the majority of individual humans among the player characters will be below the cap. If the average super is well below a 200k value (which these numbers do not yet support...), then the short-term consequence is a likely reduction in overall power, followed by extreme genetic bottlenecking. Actually, the bottlenecking is pretty likely.)

Or maybe it's not genetic. Maybe it's a two-factor kind of thing. An initial harmless exposure to... something... before some maximum age, followed by a traumatic event after some later minimum age, sets things off. The "something" doesn't need to be visible, have other evidence for it that people can investigate before a few centuries ago, or be geographically fixed.

So far as wanting to continue... I'm ambivalent. I've been throwing myself into other projects and neglecting this one, but I could try to switch back if there's still interest.

I've got some thoughts I was going to add up here, but then it started to seem ridiculous. Let us suppose that empowerment does not prevent death, it postpones it. We then end up with, 5 ppm people die later than they should. In other words, every 200k births, a single death is postponed, and every 200k deaths, death catches up to a super. This is some serious abuse of the ideas and math, but it's probably okay? Going by some data I grabbed for 2011, we have 2.4 births per death, or ~0.42 deaths per birth, or 84k deaths per super. In other words, all else being equal, if empowerment is brought on by surviving a fatal experience, then any given person has a 1 in 84,000 chance of becoming a super under the right circumstances. If we have a cutoff by age, then the chance of a newborn having the potential goes up, but the historical per-person rate goes down due to infant mortality. As recently as sixty years ago, the ratio is closer to 1 in 2.5 million (that's the maximum probability). Factoring in the estimated ratio at the time, and we get 0.2 ppm during the fifties.

If we assume that the true ratio, call it 1 in X, has been constant or increasing over time, and that there's a minimum age, then modern energies per se probably wouldn't be required, merely modern sanitation, to get a high enough population density of supers to study. ... Of course, it's unpredictable what effect, say, 75 supers would have in the fourteenth century (assuming a very Earthlike history), but like I said, having a minimum age both hides the numbers and conceals the, um, exploits.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Fri May 16, 2014 10:28 pm

Alternative Scenario

ONE WEEK LATER

Some adolescents/young adults try to give themselves superpowers. Dependent on whether power emergence is reliant on an experience in which death is likely or a situation where the individual cannot survive without powers, somewhere between 500,000(coin flip odds for survival) to over 999,995 people out of the 1,000,000 who try to gain superpowers die in the attempt. The remainder, superpowers or no, likely have severe psychological trauma from a near death experience, especially a self inflicted one. Given that there is only a 0.0005% possibility of gaining super powers from a traumatic and life threatening experience, most people would rather live normal non-super-powered lives then attempt suicide on the miniscule chance you’ll get superpowers. Self inflicted super-powering attempts remain an option for the insane, idiotic, and extremely desperate.

Universal violence drops, as there is now the possibility that the person you were beating the life out of hulks out and tears your spine out. Groups that try to impose super powering on others only have a reasonable chance of success if they have access to 200,000 people or more. Those that do realize that horribly mistreating the person you expect to develop unpredictable physic defying superpowers is both a horribly self defeating idea and almost impossible to prepare for.

Super-humans are registered and closely monitored by the government. Super-humans are taken care of and the best attempt is made to employ them to the betterment of society without infringing on personal rights. Any humans or super-humans attempting to enact eugenics, forced breeding, and genocide plans reminiscent of what is widely recognized as the worst wartime atrocity in human history are terminated by other humans and super-humans with extreme prejudice. Life goes on.

Alternative-Alternative Scenario

ONE MONTH LATER THAN THE ORIGINAL ONE WEEK LATER

Worldwide, governments and general populace alike are shocked by this new genetic disease that, while granting superpowers, causes extreme sociopathic tendencies and influences those nearby with either complacent, suicidal, or inebriated traits. Worldwide cooperation ensues to enact military quarantine on afflicted areas. These dangerous super-humans are eventually eliminated with superior numbers and firepower. Any super-humans that appear in the future are quickly tracked by an (admittedly totalitarian, similar to the privacy invasion enacted by the NSA in the years following 9/11) efficient international security taskforce and are given the choice of sterilization and lifetime compliance(with the possibility of parole for good behaviour) with the government or immediate termination. The dangerous super-human gene is eventually eliminated from the gene-pool.

Alternative Scenario the IIIrd: Alternate Harder

ONE YEAR LATER THAN THE ORIGINAL ONE MONTH LATER

After the sociopathic-superhuman menace cuts through the apparently incompetent defence and military organizations of the world like an incandescent knife through unrefrigerated butter, good old Mutually Assured Destruction comes to save the day. While the defence and military organizations cannot fight (and actually add to the ranks of for trying to fight) the maximum of 30,000 combat ready super-humans worldwide, they do have a treasure trove of doomsday weapons accumulated over the years. The super-humans are given several ultimatums:

“ Do not breed any more super-humans than necessary to maintain population, or we will produce an equivalent amount of thermo-nuclear warheads or other weapons of mass destruction.

Do not create or breed any more resources that may be used to breed super-humans, or we will produce an equivalent amount of automated aerial smallpox dispersion drones or other weapons of mass destruction.

Any individual superhuman found committing atrocities against humans will engender an equivalent response in the form of mustard gas shelling, white phosphorus shelling, Africanized brown recluse-honeybee GMO dispersal, or other bio-chemical weaponry forbidden for use on humans.

Any large-scale attack on the Superhuman Free States (SFS) will be met with complete and total thermo-nuclear annihilation.”

Barring unexpected developments, this state of cold war continues for the foreseeable future.

Alternative Scenario 4: Electric Boogaloo

FIFTEEN YEARS LATER THAN THE ORIGINAL ONE YEAR LATER

Wildlife is beginning to repopulate the Earth after the events of several years ago. In orbit, heavily encased in protective ceramic, lies a golden disk. On this disk lies a transcript of the events preceding it’s launch.

“04/03/2015: Remaining pathogen research labs, surviving this long due to pre-existing quarantine protocols and other targets occupying super-human attention, begin to draw superhuman attention. Bio-engineered disease carriers with implanted dormant superhuman gene is released into superhuman populations. Staff fight off super-humans as long as possible before committing suicide rather than submit to slavery and breeding programs.

01/04/2015: Pathogens spread through superhuman-populations like wildfire. Massive population decrease and enforced breeding programs crippled genetic variance, making super-humans extremely susceptible to disease. Only surviving super-humans are a few isolated quarantine camps and those with super-fortitude, some of which became carriers and were forced into isolation.

13/09/2015: Desperately searching for surviving humans for breeding program, Super-Travel-Taskforce 03 locates a manned nuclear submarine. Upon entry attempt, submarine detonates. STT3 is eliminated except for one Super-Fortitude, who is too irradiated to come into superhuman contact until he naturally decomtaminates.

30/12/2015: Well, here I am. One of the last survivors of the human race. Maybe that screened Mars colony will get off the ground. Maybe these bunkers are actually deep enough. If I’m really lucky, it’s actually self sufficient. But, knowing our luck, tomorrow’s probably the end. When super-humans came around and started causing trouble, the government did something about it. They set all the bombs on a timer, and that timer runs out tomorrow. Satellites have been tracking and tagging the most powerful supes. Tomorrow, every nuke on the ground detonates. Those superhuman camps that don’t get annihilated by the blast will get toasted by the radiation. The supes powerful enough to survive the inital blast get hit by phase two. Those supes tagged by the satellites get blasted by every orbital missile we’ve got. If that doesn’t kill them, they’ll be pushed so far into the mantle that it’ll take them decades to dig themselves out, and they can enjoy the magma bath in the meantime.

This disc is going up with a copy of the super-human gene. If you find any member of your race with this gene, for the love of God don’t try to kill them. Sterilize them, make sure they live a long, happy, danger free life, so they can rot away happily ever after. If they supe up, fire them into a sun.

One hour to launch. By the time this reaches space, the blast will hit.

Happy New Year."
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Sat May 17, 2014 6:21 am

As to the statement "All humans are completely selfish", I can not agree. Most humans when deciding what to do will want to do the "right" thing. Problem is what is the right thing will depend on what they think their options are, what they think is morally right and than finally how much will they and "society" gain. Usually gains and social pressure have to HEAVILY outweigh the morality in order for a human to do a wrong thing. It's unlikely that a normal Joe Average human upon gaining powers would completely loose any morals. It might happen over time, if he is forced to commit amoral crimes to survive and protect those dear to him, but it will not be quick. Also one thing is to be generally dickish to humans that you don't see, Like let's say torching a village from afar, and another is to casually murder someone and watch them die. In first case your brain will likely only intellectually acknowledge that those houses you are blowing up contain humans like you that have families and hopes and dreams but not emphatically or emotionally. On the other hand to kill someone in cold blood, someone that doesn't present a threat to you, requires you to completly rewire your brain and dehumanize your victim.

On the other hand in our humans start gaining superpowers tomorrow, governments will start weighting in quickly, and depending how ham fisted they are, they could easily try to sideline superhumans and drive them into getho mentality where SH start thinking that it's US vs THEM. And in US vs THEM it's very easy to dehumanize your opponent. But even then for that to happen yopu would need stron outside pressure that forces SHs together to group in hope of safety, and strong internal social pressure from other SHs, and SHs in power to foster an environment where not considering normal humans humane is a sane normal and EXPECTED thing.

What I expect, but I may be a hopeless romantic, to happen it that most normal humans will leap to the chance to help society as long as society offers them a place where they'll be well rewarded for their abilities, or if they can not help they might agree to limit their powers in exchange of continuing to live as before. Criminal elements and demented people might make a bid for megalomanic goals but most of them would get destroyed by conventional military or other normal SHs who were recruted into military and security forces. But even within this group many will surprise because they belonged here not because they want to break law and morals but because this in their eyes was their only path to survival. So many thugs, thieves and such will readily accept "normal" jobs if that causes them to become more accepted in the society. ESPECIALLY if they have families.

In the end most SHs would remain on right side of law (even though they will fuck up and do bad things from time to time, but than again they are humans like us, and such things are an exception rather than a rule), while villans would likely be SHs that are part of criminal organisations but stick to using less flashy powers, and high level megalomaniacs which are very rare.

On the other other hand economic impact would be . . . great.

1. Do you all desire to see a setting such as Earth? In history, geography, and form as well as in biology and physics? I am quite capable of making this, or otherwise, or somewhere in-between. I lean towards putting people on a foreign planet, simplified ecology, and such. A place where dictionary terms may be employed, but where specific cases, places, races, may depart quite vastly from our own.

I would prefer Earth simply because that would simplify world building, and we would have a pretty good idea of how things go.

2. Do you wish to struggle with a foe as large as all of you, or larger? Or is a more mundane, distributed, and placid challenge what you seek? Punching clocks (or criminals) calls for different setting than a cosmic horror, alien invasions, and the like. Which do you expect? I can do both, or either, but lean toward the first.

How about we slowly ram it up. We don't really want our first engagement to be a TPK (for varying amounts of K and FAIL)?

But, if it turns out that way... Let the treachery begin!

You are disturbingly eager about this aren't you. I am generaly opposed to playing against other players, because it's all well and good to say that we are good enough to be able to force ourselves to separate OOC and IC knowledge, but when a char is on the line, something in which you put a lot of effort, I'm doubtful. Also even if the "victorious" party doesn't cheat, the defeated one will always consider "did my opponent cheat and thus through no fault of my own win". But if most are for it, I'm not going to be spoiling other's fun.
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Thu May 22, 2014 8:17 am

krellen wrote:...I'm relatively certain I'm not particularly interested in this project any more...
Like I said, I want to avoid going those places as well, which is why I'm leery of linking genetics to super powers. Your reasons are your own of course. If it has to be that way, I'm sorry to see you go.

mwchase wrote:...Or maybe it's not genetic. Maybe it's a two-factor kind of thing. An initial harmless exposure to... something... before some maximum age, followed by a traumatic event after some later minimum age, sets things off. The "something" doesn't need to be visible, have other evidence for it that people can investigate before a few centuries ago, or be geographically fixed.
Linking super powers to personal trauma isn't something I'm eager to do, again returning to the obvious endpoint. If there's a way that people can decide who gets super powers and who doesn't, then they are absolutely going to use that method. People are really smart, they figure these things out, especially if there's strong personal incentives to do so (like getting super-human abilities).
mwchase wrote:So far as wanting to continue... I'm ambivalent. I've been throwing myself into other projects and neglecting this one, but I could try to switch back if there's still interest.
I'm game if you are. We're down to 5 players, which is still plenty.
PossiblyInsane wrote:Alternative Scenario...
That's quite a bit of fiction! Am I reading this right that you oppose genetic-based super powers?
4th Dimension wrote:As to the statement "All humans are completely selfish", I can not agree. Most humans when deciding what to do will want to do the "right" thing... In the end most SHs would remain on right side of law...
You are wasting your time in this vein. I am not going to discuss (nor listen to) politics or religion on this forum, as it is explicitly forbidden. Nor will I engage in philosophical debates, in keeping with the spirit of the rule. The campaign I intend to run will (of course) be based on my own views. If you would like to GM a campaign, you are completely free to do so.
4th Dimension wrote:I would prefer Earth...
Noted. Thanks for the feedback.
4th Dimension wrote:How about we slowly ram it up. We don't really want our first engagement to be a TPK (for varying amounts of K and FAIL)?
This is not a traditional RPG. If death comes for all, it will be narratively significant. Plus we can always "roll back" and explore a different branch of possibilities. Working out just how to overcome seemingly impossible foes could be just as enjoyable as engaging equal matches. Which are you more interested in?
4th Dimension wrote:...I am generaly opposed to playing against other players...
Aahah! That is my feeling as well, but I hadn't heard any voices from the players with the same concerns. The main proponent of this policy was krellen, who is apparently no longer with us. I feel like it wouldn't go against character for Krieg and NUCF to play along with Paula, Site Surfer, and the Inkvengers. Input anyone?

Return to “Play-by-Post”