Firefly: Into the Black

Text-based gaming!
Skitzophrenik

Re: Firefly: Into the Black

Postby Skitzophrenik » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:38 pm

Dan's staff gets Bruce and Xun's purchases while the man himself treats them to some selections from his private stock. The duo gets back to the ship around the same time as everyone else.

Twitch finds that she put a tool made of a pair of handles connected by a hinge and some springs with a pair of thin metal probes on one end and a port for an electronic wire at the other end. Some sort of probe or something.
krellen

Postby krellen » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:58 pm

Captain Mitchell shakes his head. "Hopefully, the tax won't come as a surprise. Someone had to vote for it, after all." He sighs, tucking the chit away for now. "Well, we can worry about it when we make the delivery. For now, let's make sure our crew hasn't brought an angry mob with them." He gives Sam a nod and heads up to the galley.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:32 pm

Huh. Maybe Shikra can figure out what this is. Twitch replaces the probe thing and makes a mental note to show it to Shikra later. Or Yun. Yun might know what it is.
RedSun

Postby RedSun » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:27 am

Yun sauntered back to the Melody, feeling rather good about things. She hadn't very much money-her little cons never did, really-but what she had made was still valuable. She knew the crew; eventually, one of them was going to incur some expense and need a loan-Twitch would offend the wrong person or Bruce would drink himself broke or the Captain would fall prey to his old habits; it didn't really matter who . The point was, if they needed money, they'd go to her, and then someone else on board would owe her a favor. Being financially secure(r) was always a plus too.

She boarded the Melody. "Hey. Twitch shoot anyone while I was gone?"
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:30 am

Just the woman Twitch was looking for! "Hi Yun, Shikra and I went to sell our parts, I tried seducking someone, Shikra got us some money and broken parts, and..."

It was at this point Twitch remembered that Shikra's special soup was supposed to be a secret. Uh...

"...and nothing else! It was fun! Speaking of which, do you know what this probe thing is for? I'm trying to figure out what it's for. "

Clever Twitch, distract Yun with the probe thing and she'll never suspect a thing about the secret outing and it's special soup!
Lachlan the Mad
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Mad » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:22 am

Bruce makes a show of pulling the cartload of beer onto the ship. It isn't actually that heavy, but he nevertheless grunts and heaves exaggeratedly until it's just over the ramp's safe load line. Then, seeing that nobody's paying any attention to him, he gives up and pushes it somewhere vaguely safe-looking. Then he heads off to the med bay to wash his hands and sterilise his med gear some more. Can't be too careful.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:52 am

"Hi Bruce!" Twitch shouts, switching conversations. You can multitask with conversations, right? Twitch is pretty sure you can do it if you're fast enough. She realized it would be impolite to leave the conversation with Yun, so the only polite solution would be to shout Bruce's conversation to the med bay while waiting for Yun to respond. Conversations are hard.
CraigM

Postby CraigM » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:22 pm

Shikra has decided the best course of action is to give the ship a once over while everyone is busy doing... well whatever it is they are doing. Wouldn't want some hydraulic coupler, or hydrostatic life support system to go offline in flight. It's easy enough to check internal components from inside the ship, bless the YT line for that, but any of the various hoses, cables, and doodads outside the hull are a right proper pain to fix in flight.

Shikra also gestures over towards Yun. "Twitch why don't you have you're hyperkinetic conversation with Yun while you two assist me in giving the ship a visual inspection. Key point being visual, no pulling on any loose wires you see this time." Shikra grimaces slightly, remembering the incident with the wire connecting the sensor arrays. "Yun if you would start with the sensors and electronic systems while i check the engines and life support."

I'll start with the engines and work our way forward. Usually nothing major, just various character marks (what other, less technically inclined people might call cracks, scratches and burn marks).
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:54 pm

Twitch will help with the visual inspection, running around the immediate area looking for faults while remaining in conversation distance of Yun and shouting distance of Bruce.
Jace911

Postby Jace911 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:09 pm

After returning from his liquor run with Bruce, Xun goes to stash his ill-gotten gains in his bunk before limping to the cockpit to fiddle with the controls; Melody's preflight procedures always default to factory standards every time she spins down, and Xun hates spending fifteen minutes on a task that he can get done in five instead so he always grumbles angrily to himself and resets them before takeoff.
Lachlan the Mad

Postby Lachlan the Mad » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:58 am

(We need to post more on the forums at large guys!)

With his hands clean and his steriliser running satisfactorily, Bruce goes looking for Twitch. She said hello earlier. Or rather, she alternated between saying hello to Bruce and holding a conversation with Yun at the same time, which was actually a rather clever trick. Bruce makes a mental note to have a look at her X-rays and see if she has an extra larynx. She might need some help with her artificial guts.

He finds her running around the engine room. Unable to get close enough to satisfactorily talk to her face-to-face, he just stands outside of the engine room door and shouts back. "G'day Twitch! How are those guts of yours treating you?"
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:10 am

Twitch pauses momentarily to take her pulse.

"They're still running on a fine purr, which means I should be able to stomach solids tonight! So they're treating me well! Speaking of guts, how is that rotgut stuff treating you?"

Extra tubing or not, a statement of that length requires Twitch's full mental attention, meaning Yun is completely ignored for the duration of that statement. Twitch is pretty sure that Yun won't mind, conversing with as many people as possible being the polite thing to do. Twitch is becoming a conversational genius.
krellen

Postby krellen » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:56 pm

Seeing the crew busying themselves with maintenance, the Captain smiles to himself. "Well look at them, actually earning their pay."

With the crew occupied, he heads out to make sure the cargo is secured for its pickup in the morning. Persephone might technically be a Core world, but its still better safe than sorry.
RedSun

Postby RedSun » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:08 pm

Yun blinked. It felt like she had been trying to speak for a week, but forgotten how. Naturally, she blamed Twitch.

"Wait. Something just occurred to me. Twitch...what happens if you drink? Given the...problems with your organs and whatnot."

"Also, seriously: nothing happened while I was gone? No one got in any trouble? Really?"
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:41 pm

"I don't actually know... I don't think I've drunk since my mind got blown, but I don't remember why...I'm starting to wonder what I'm missing. Might as well try it once while I'm in port, right?"

"Well, this funky probe thing appeared in my pocket and I was hoping you'd be able to figure it out. Maybe it teleports or something."

Twitch shows the handled probe thing to Yun and searches the depths of her memory. Maybe she saw something like this before?
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:42 pm

"Speaking of which, Shikra, maybe we can head out to get the drink and...the other stuff?"
CraigM

Postby CraigM » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:09 pm

Shikra saunters up to Yun. Giving her his best smile (or nearest approximation thereof, which is more like a smirk). Then he whispers:

"Listen, just relax with the questions. I'm not sure how you knew about this, but it's ok. I don't know what's really gonna happen either, so we were going to do this all careful like. Hell the first drink was going to not even have any alcohol at all, just to see if the thought of alcohol put her over. Better to find out how she handles things in as safe of an environment as possible, rather than risk some yahoo passenger or business client offer her a drink, and then get offended when she turns them down. Or worse, if she accepts then cold cocks the poor shagua"

Shikra starts to walk off, then adds.

"Oh and make sure to double check the IFF transmitter well. Especially the cutoff switch. Those things always get flaky when you modify them. Something about tamper resistant wiring."

He then addresses Twitch

"Listen the stalls are close, you can even see them from here. Take this list and some cash and get the stuff. No need to haggle much, just a simple buy and go. Be very careful with the liquor though, make sure it matches this EXACT label I'm gonna give you. Don't want some poor swill they try to pass off as something other than the paint thinner it is."

He then gives Twitch a note with a list of half a dozen various produce items, and a brand of specific poor quality rum. It wan't paint thinner, but it certainly wasn't quite liquid gold either.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:24 pm

"Alright, bye Shikra! Bye Yun!" Twitch takes the proffered items and runs out, leaving the probe thing in Yun's capable hands. Shortly afterward, a faint "Bye Bruce!" can be heard from outside the ship.

Twitch starts collecting the items on the list, remembers to pay for them a few steps from the first stall, and starts buying all the items on the list, offering 'smiles', apologies, and payment for taken goods to the first vendor. Unless something unexpected happens en route she should be back in a few minutes.
Lachlan the Mad

Postby Lachlan the Mad » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:42 am

Bruce thinks that business seems pretty good. Nobody seems to be getting shot and people seem to be able to do their jobs without any extra help. He grabs a beer from the crate on his way back to the medical bay, stretches out in his hammock (he has a hammock in the med bay btw), and cracks the beer open.
Skitzophrenik

Postby Skitzophrenik » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:31 pm

SPIRIT: Prep the Ship - Ingenuity Difficulty 5
Shikra: 2 (+4) - Success!
Twitch: 10 (+1) (-2 multitasking penalty) - Success!
Xun: 5 (+2) - Success!

The working crew of the ship enterprisingly set about the important tasks of making sure that the ship will be in ship shape when it boosts again. Generally right after landing (give or take a short trip to the shops) is the best time to make sure nothing broke or fell off of the ship during the last trip or while making planetfall. It maximizes the time there will be to fix any problems.

Xun has no trouble resetting the preflight routine. He's pretty sure that replacing a couple of cards in the preflight computers would fix the issue with the reset, but those are expensive (if not difficult to come by) and the ship usually is pretty low on funds. As it stands the ship wont be refueled until after the buyer shows up tomorrow (Melody is two days ahead of schedule) and the Captain didn't say anything about having a next job lined up anyway.

Shikra and Twitch give the ship as a whole a once over together. Neither find anything missing or broken, but there are parts that will need replacing within a few trips at the rate things are going. Twitch's distraction doesn't present too much difficulty, but it is strange that she insists on carrying on conversations with more than one crewmember at a time, while she is committed to a sensitive task. Shikra is smart to do his job before rejoining the others and sending twitch on her errand.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:22 pm

Twitch is back by now. She thinks. Maybe? She's not sure.
RedSun

Postby RedSun » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:11 pm

Yun turned the "probe". or so Twitch called it, over in her hand. There wasn't much she could divine from a glance, but then again, she never needed to.

She hurried to her room. She doubted whatever this was was urgent, and she was more than a little worried that it had "just appeared in her pocket" because Twitch had stolen it and forgotten. But whatever it was, it was stark white and made of light metal and pulsed ever so slightly, and Yun wanted to see inside it.

She took out her tools and delicately opened it's side. She didn't immediately recognize any part of it's innards-really, why would she?-but if she could remove whatever part of the thing held it's software, she could get an idea of what it did, and more importantly, how it worked.

Return to “Play-by-Post”