Firefly: Into the Black

Text-based gaming!
Skitzophrenik

Re: Firefly: Into the Black

Postby Skitzophrenik » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:31 am

Sorry, I missed a post in there.

Dan's Spirits is situated in a converted warehouse topped with some of the most desirable apartments in Eavesdowne. The owner isn't in at the moment, but should be after lunch. Bruce and Xun are directed to the cafe for a drink and a bite before they settle in to survey the selection.

After a quick bowl of soup and a pie each Dan comes in. His staff had contacted him. He loves Bruce, and shows it by affecting a hilarious and terrible Woolloomooloovian accent.

"G'day, Bruce! G'day... friend of Bruce! What can I do for you blokes? Mate?"

Twitch moves in fits and starts. She hurries wherever she goes, but is infinitely distractible. She bounces from vendor to vendor and shop front to shopfront. In a six year old it would be adorable. The scarred, oversized woman leaves stares and confusion in her wake. Shikra is there to make apologies in her wake.

Eventually they make it down the line of berths to the repair bays. This is usually where Shikra sells his refurbished parts. Twitch spends a very disturbing half-hour stalking around the place and eventually approaches a young apprentice mechanic manning a parts vendor booth within a pair of huge repair bays, and attempts to use her, ahem, feminine wiles.

SPIRIT: Use Feminine Wiles - Talent Difficulty 8
Twitch: 8 (-1) - Failure

For a moment Shikra actually thinks it might work (which is horrifying in it's own way), but Twitch's... Twitch-ness is just to overpowering. The boy nervously says he needs to get his boss, and leaves to do so without remembering to ask them to wait while he does so.

Yun finds a small open air market where a few local families have set up shop selling fresh produce. Ship's crews have descended on them all day, but it appears they have kept up with demand. It isn't the food that will keep the crew on a three week hop, but for the next few days in port it will be wonderful.

Back at Melody the Alliance patrol finishes eating and two men make their way over while the rest dispose of their trash. All four men are wearing helmets and armor, which is a common sight post-Miranda, and all of them have carbine rifles slung. One of the two coming over has a tablet computer.

"You made good time out of Kerry, Melody. Unfortunately it looks like your tax stamps are out of date."

The one with the tablet indicates the large blue holographs on the side of each wrapped cargo pallet. They had been talking about the possible increase on imports to the White Sun system from the other systems, but he hadn't seen anything on the cortex.

"Do you have a manifest? We can do it all right now, or set up a credit marker for you to pass on to your recipient."

While Sam deals with the Alliance, the Bryson family is delivered into the care of Aunt Mildred. If anything farming on Persephone is easier than Kerry, which is a less-established world by far. The Captain is left with a pie from Aunt Mildred, and a promise of a card game sometime in the future.
CraigM

Postby CraigM » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:10 am

Shikra chuckles, and gives Twitch a genial smile and puts his hand on her shoulder.

"Nice try kid. Didn't quite work, but gotta give you credit for your guts, and near execution. Anyhow lets get someone a little jumpy to help us out."

With that he approaches the nearest employee he can find, and props himself against the counter before dispersing his load in front of him gently. He then cheerfully, yet firmly commands the attention of whichever clerk he happens to get.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:31 am

Twitch's rictus grin settles into what could almost be called a smile. Blushing slightly from the fatherly praise, she stands aside to let the master work, relieved to give her facial muscles a rest. This whole seducking buisness is tough work! She could certainly stand to learn from Shikra. Twitch watches him with interest.

Twitch's fingers, in the meantime, are tired of having naught but mono-texture hydraulics to explore and have just been presented with an abandoned store booth. They shall quickly explore the stall for lonely, unregarded items to place in their pockets to examine later.
Last edited by PossiblyInsane on Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
krellen

Postby krellen » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:47 am

Captain Mitchell heads back to the ship with the pie; the crew kept out of the family's hair on the trip, so they're due a bit of a treat. For some reason, he feels a need to keep an eye out for short, hungry men with hairy feet.

He knows most of the crew will be out resupplying or just having fun, but hopefully someone's stuck around to deal with the cargo.
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:02 am

Sam offers the Alliance officers an easy grin as he clambers out of the loader. "I think the captain'd prefer I get the marker," he says, presenting the manifest. "How are things in the world? Any excitement?"
Lachlan the Mad
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Mad » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:20 am

(I'm a bit confused by what's going on, but I'll assume that me talking to Dan is canon now)

"G'day Dan. This bloke's Xun, he's my pilot. Gimme my usual order of beer, plus another crate for the trip back to the ship, and let's try a new brand just in case it's a bit less canoe-sex than the other piss you poor bastards get here. And Xun here wants something stronger, I dunno. Give 'im your strongest, cheapest, blackest rum. And some ginger beer."
Skitzophrenik

Postby Skitzophrenik » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:22 am

Precisely, I missed your post, and now Dan is here to sell you beer.

Dan sends an employee wearing a red apron over his starched shirt and tie off after the drinks.

"Come on up to me office, mate. I've got some bottles laid aside up there that I need an excuse to open. New customers are always a reason to celebrate."

The young soldier scans the holos on the manifest and a printer on his belt starts to spit out a holo label. He looks embarrassed, and the other fellow laughs.

"Stupid thing doesn't even ask me if I want it to print. An unintelligent robot could do this job."

He hangs his head, and then tears off the label and fixes it to the manifest.

"This is a twenty-four hour tax marker. Whoever this is for pays it, or it debits you. The total is... Eight hundred and four Credits. Ouch. Six Credits Seventy increase per hundredweight. Rough day for your buyer."

SPIRIT: Sell Parts - Talent Difficulty 8
Shikra: 7 (-1) - Failure

Twitch pockets a number of interesting items and tools before Shikra needs her to put her hydraulics up on the counter where he is desperately haranguing the clerk into buying the parts. Eventually the mechanic tells Shikra he can take a hundred platinum for the lot of it, or take it out of there, and Shikra seems to have run out of things to say in return.
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:26 am

Sam grunts and takes the marker. "No kidding. We'd heard the Alliance was increasing taxes on imports here, but wáng bā. There some kind of trouble?"

He hopes to learn a bit about what's been going on here on Persephone, and besides, being friendly to the authorities never hurt anyone.
Skitzophrenik

Postby Skitzophrenik » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:04 am

The soldier tucks the tablet into a pouch on his armor and shrugs.

"Not that i know of. Part of this increase was local, some of it was Parliment. I try to stay the hell out of politics. Its all gos se in my books."

The other soldier speaks up as the rest of the squad comes over.

"There are a bunch of guys planetside off of the Dortmunder. They just came in from rim partol and som of them are real assholes. Any of your crew are the pissed-off Browncoat type keep an eye on them. Barfights are getting nasty."
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:39 pm

Twitch brings her hydraulics over to the counter where Shikra is negotiating. She 'smiles' helpfully at the clerk, whispering out of the corner of her mouth to Shikra "Do you want me to try the seducking again?"
RedSun

Postby RedSun » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:05 pm

Yun hurried on to a local arms dealer, her grocery shopping done and hopefully making her look innocuous. The place she was going to was located in the lower crust of Persephone, but still had pretensions of being a semi-honest business; they wouldn't call the cops on her if she tried to undercut them, but probably also wouldn't draw a weapon on her given the way she was dressed.

Now, Yun was no negotiator; her burns unnerved people, and her time sitting under her family's thumb had left her somewhat abrasive and outwardly rebellious. She was, however, an excellent liar. It'd been how she made money back when she first ran away, how she'd manage to get by on disassembling otherwise already expensive weapon.

Yun had four revolvers lying in her purse, hidden, but not well-hidden. They looked like Devlon Stingers, an uncommon model notable for it's reliability and surprising range. At one point, they had been. She had stripped out quite a bit of their inner workings, which was where most of their value actually was, and replaced them with parts she had fashioned herself. They wasn't that noticeable a difference in effectiveness, and with any luck, the dealer wouldn't be familiar enough with them to tell the difference. She'd already drummed up a story about how her "personal guards" had dispatched some thugs while on an offworld trip, and had insisted she hock the weapons looted from their assailants as bonuses. The dealer would try to undercut her, she'd clumsily haggle it up to a price that was still under the Stinger's official market value, and leave with a decent profit.

OOC: I'm working under the assumption that bluff checks fall under Ingenuity, at least in this scenario, given that Talent isn't a straight port of Charisma, and my character is very deliberately not smooth talking anyone. Still up to the DM, of course.
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:11 pm

"Thanks," Sam tells the soldier. "I'll pass it along. Shouldn't be a problem for our group."

He mounts back up in the power loader, starts her up, and pilots the suit back up the cargo ramp. That done, he does his usual post-op checkup on the suit, making sure the hydraulics and electronics are in good shape. He expects the captain will have returned by then, and he'll need to know about the tax marker. He probably won't be happy.
CraigM

Postby CraigM » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:06 pm

I give Twitch a barely perceptible shake of the head to indicate no. Then I address the dealer.

"Look, I don't think you understood what I was going for here. It's ok, but I want to be clear, I'm not trying to conduct a strict monetary transaction here. These are fully serviced, nearly pristine parts. I wish to exchange them for an identical or near equivalent part that is in non functional order, as well as some cash. You get a good part, I get a broken one plus cash. Simple as that. These are standard parts for any YT model cruiser, and those are the kind of parts I want in exchange. Simple trade, and I'm on my way. Since you offered 100 plat straight up, I'll counter with 50 plus the broken parts. Not trying to get rich, just enough cash to grab some fresh produce and some spirits, with a little extra. Ching yi, we can get this done right?"

I offer my hand out with a gesture indicative of a handshake. I also smile, the kind of smile with no real warmth, but no threat or ill feelings either. A smile of pure social obligation and no more, and no less.
Skitzophrenik

Postby Skitzophrenik » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:16 pm

It really depends on what kind of bluff you're trying to pull, doesn't it? -S

SPIRIT: A Short Con - Ingenuity Difficulty 6
Yun: 3 (+4) - Success!

Yun's spoils aren't a problem to offload. Even on the Central planets weapon ownership is a private matter, though you rarely see them worn on the hip any further into the White Sun system than Persephone. The buyer isn't an expert, and when the parts pass a check he is willing to buy. Somehow Yun comes away with a good chunk of change, which I need to math up after I figure out how much the damn money is worth in this 'Verse.

Shikra's mechanic frowns at Twitch; the boy earlier had gone to get him after all. He is willing to give Shikra what he wants just to get rid of her, however. Girl is creepy, and possibly a thief.
CraigM

Postby CraigM » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:21 pm

Shikra, glad to be done haggling, though a bit down about the profits, gathers the parts, hands a few off to Twitch, and heads out.

"Alright lets drop the back at the ship quickly. I want us to get a chance to grab some produce and some alcohol before we head up. I'd kill for a pineapple and some good hard squash. If we can find some butternut squash, onion, and some chicken I'll make us my special homemade soup. I may not be able to cook much, but that's always been one exception. Plus squashes keep well for a long time, and taste a far site better then those gorram processed bricks they pass off as food during trips."

Shikra smiles at Twitch "Any particular favorites you want to grab while we're out? Other than the fruits and vegetables I was thinking some rum. You name it, and if we have enough you can get it. Just remember keep it quiet about the alcohol and fruit. Don't particularly feel like sharing those with the whole crew. The squash will be the only 'official' produce I plan to announce."
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:44 pm

Twitch follows Shikra, idly toying with the parts as she walks.

"Special homemade soup would be wonderful! It would be just like old times, just the two of us, together in the nice warm shop, keeping the winter chill away..." Twitch makes a mental note to check her journal, to be sure she is remembering things correctly.

"...I can't remember my favorite alcohols. I think I've been trying to avoid them since...Anyways, I think I'll try some rum too. It's a special occasion, after all! What's the worst that could happen?"
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:55 am

"So, shall we head back to the ship?"
Lachlan the Mad
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Mad » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:27 am

I'm all for heading back to the ship when Dan gets back with my booze.
krellen

Postby krellen » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:48 pm

The Captain heads out of the galley - he's left the pie under a towel, as a surprise - and into the cargo bay, grinning when he sees it returned to its "ready for more cargo" level of emptiness. He waves at Sam as he descends the steps. "Alliance boys give you any problems, Sam?"
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:17 pm

Sam shakes his head. "Not personally." He strides over to the captain and hands him the holo label. "Locals and Parliament both raised tariffs. Our buyer isn't going to be happy. We might have to split it."
krellen

Postby krellen » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:19 pm

The Captain lets out a soft string of expletives - Chinese, of course - as he looks over the chit. "That's the fifth tax increase since Miranda. No wonder so many legitimate traders found other work."
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:57 pm

"We'll keep flying, captain," Sam says, trying to keep the doubt from his voice. "Want me with for the sale?"
CraigM

Postby CraigM » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:22 am

Shikra and Twitch arrive back at the Melody and see the captain in a rather disgruntled state. Rather than shake that particular hornets nest he decides the best course of action is to studiously avoid eye contact, and look straight ahead. While he may not be the most gentle of speakers, he does recognize when his presence would not improve a situation, and this certainly looked to fit the bill. Shikra makes a mental note to also offer the captain a drink later. First to try and ease the captain's stress, second to try and find out what said stress was.

Shikra marches in to the workshop and deposits the parts, then right back out for a quick poke to the fresh produce vendors. He had caught sight of the local goods, and boy was it appealing. As he leaves he gives one sidelong glance to the captain, and a slight nod. If he needed Shikra he could say so, and he would willingly aid. If Cap did nothing though, Shikra was going to beat a hasty path back to the market.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:19 am

Twitch was going to ask the Captain if he needed help (like she did this morning, when she was so helpful, she wrote it down in her journal) after depositing the parts, but Shikra is better at all this social situation stuff, so she decides to defer to his judgement and completely ignore the Captain.

She does give a quick "Hi Cheong! Oh, wait, damn, I can't say that to be polite. Bye!" as she darts through the cargo bay before Sam can react. When outside said cargo bay, she impatiently taps her foot while waiting for Shikra to come through. She notices a jangling coming from her pockets that she is pretty sure wasn't there before.

"What have I got in my pocket?" she asks herself as she investigates said line of inquiry.
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:05 am

Sam gives the door Twitch disappeared through a confused look, then turns back to Captain Mitchell.

Return to “Play-by-Post”