Firefly: Into the Black

Text-based gaming!
Skitzophrenik

Firefly: Into the Black

Postby Skitzophrenik » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:38 am

Eavesdown Docks, Persephone
Monday, Harvest 3rd, 2518

No matter what the time of day is, the skies over Eavesdown Docks are busy. In all honesty the traffic in and out of the docks affects most of the southern continent. Ever since what is being referred to as The Miranda Broadwave there has been an added sense of tension in the air. There has been increased Alliance presence in the White Sun system since the Miranda 'Wave, but they haven't been tightening the noose on commerce... yet.

Meanwhile, the Melody is coming into a landing at Eavesdown Docks. This is pretty much home port now, after a few months of work together with the newest parts of the crew. Between cargo runs taking goods from Persephone to the border worlds (and hopefully a job to take on the return trip as well) there are occasional stints as a pleasure yacht. Captain Mitchell does like to rub elbows with the fancier part of Persephone's population.

In any case, it's morning time on Persephone, and there are six tons of dry goods from Kerry in the Georgia System to offload, and a family of six who didn't leave the furnished passenger suite for the entire five day haul to disembark.
krellen

Re: Firefly: Into the Black

Postby krellen » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:51 am

"So, you folks have family on Persephone, or are you headed deeper into the Core?" Captain Mitchell asks as he helps the family with their luggage, lifting one of the medium-sized bags. Keeping the passengers happy brings return custom, which is always good for the bottom line.

Matters of the cargo can be handled by the Mate; Cheong knew what he was doing, even if it sometimes took him a while to get it done. Hopefully the rest of the crew wouldn't make too much of a commotion until after the family was already well on their way.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:03 am

Twitch is bored. Bored bored bored bored-she appears behind the Captain.

"Captain, can I help them so that they leave quicker and we can run around port quicker? I'm going CRAZY with boredom."
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:12 am

Twitch then remembers what the Captain said about not upsetting the passengers, and smiles. The corners of her mouth are turned up and her teeth are showing, that's a smile, right? Twitch is pretty sure that's a smile.
Skitzophrenik

Postby Skitzophrenik » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:19 am

"My wife's aunt lives here on Persephone. We figured it would be safer here closer to the core what with the... well, you know. I wouldn't dream of living on one of those Core worlds. No offence. But all that civilization can suffocate a man. The wife and I went to Osirus for our Honeymoon."

The younger daughter of the Bryson family stops to gawk at the tattoo'd woman with the unnatural shade of hair. Her mother frowns and pulls her along with the arm not carrying a bag.
krellen

Postby krellen » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:24 am

Mitchell doesn't let his annoyance show on his face, though the slight gritting of his teeth might give a hint of it away. "I bet Cheong could use a hand unloading the goods from Kerry," he replies to Twitch, keeping his voice mostly even. "Why don't you see if he needs a hand?"

After Twitch (hopefully) departs, he turns back to the passengers. "Sorry about that. Hard to find good help these days, especially considering the routes we fly."
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:37 am

How could Twitch have been so silly? "Right, Cheong needs help because he's slow. Silly Twitch!" Twitch runs toward the cargo bay, then runs back. "Really slow." she adds for clarification before running away, then back again. "Hi kid!" Twitch smiles in what she hopes is a reassuring way, before finally running off to help the glacial Cheong.
CraigM

Postby CraigM » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:16 am

Shikra is busy with his last minute routine. While the others are loading the ship he will be canvassing the nearby scrap vendors. See he's got a bit of a hobby aboard ship. He likes to have multiple spare parts for various things. One in working order, the rest in various states of semi brokenness.

See in the vast reaches of space when everything is going well one can have a fair bit of downtime. Turning said downtime into profit is a wonderful way to make cash. Unfortunately such downtime is less common than you would think. Still Shilra has cultivated the habit of taking semi broken ship parts, fixing them en route, and trading them in for another semi broken part and cash at their port of call.

Carefully managing inventory to make sure he always has at least one good spare is crucial, but he's careful. Shikra has gathered the parts to flip, and is anxious to earn back the money he lost to their passengers at cards this trip. Nothing much mind you, Shikra isn't much of a gambler, but not being the most... courteous... of hosts he has learned that the one reliable way to socialize with passengers is through low stakes poker or some such card game.

He is also in complete silence. Disturbing Shikra during his bartering prep is not advisable. Even Twitch is not safe from ire when he's getting into the zone.

EDIT: I had misread the timeline slightly. Landing, not takeoff. *facepalm* edited to correct.
Last edited by CraigM on Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lachlan the Mad
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Mad » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:19 am

When the boat comes down, you hear the familiar crashing and swearing from the med bay which indicates that Bruce has fallen out of his hammock. Again. You'd think he'd learn not to sleep through a landing.

He stumbles out of the doors from the med bay, and pulls an incredibly sloppy salute when he sees the captain. "Mitcho, mate! G'day! D'you need a hand from me, or should I go do us a, um, supply run?"

(Captain Mitchell knows that the "supplies" in question will consist mostly of alcohol, and that Bruce will be responsible for drinking most of it).
Jace911

Postby Jace911 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:32 am

"Not without me, you won't," comes a growl from the direction of the cockpit as Xun trudges down the catwalk steps. "If I have to drink another bottle of that shiong mao niao you brought back from your last grocery run I'll fly this ship into the sun."
Lachlan the Mad

Postby Lachlan the Mad » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:06 am

Bruce walks up to Xun in a menacing way.

"Ooh, is that a challenge, Mister Xun? You want me to find the good snakebite? The rotgut with a superiour boo-kay?"

Then he laughs uproariously and slaps Xun on the back.

"I guess you'd best come with me, then! See ya later, Mitcho!"
Jace911

Postby Jace911 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:25 am

Xun gives the captain a look that says "kill me" over Bruce's shoulder as they head for the cargo bay. Throwing Cheong a half-hearted wave as the younger man stomps around in his loadlifter, Xun smacks his other hand on the lift controls and steps aboard as the deck begins to drop towards Persephone's dusty surface.

"Months on this ship and I still can't fathom your backwater tastes," he grumbles to Bruce as their boots crunch on the dirt. Despite his usual dour mood, it feels good to have solid ground beneath his feet after such a long trip. "A good drink should be strong, hearty. Not sour and thin."
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:16 am

Sam Cheong is focused on the task at hand. Six tons of cargo. Dry goods, densely packed, not particularly fragile. A simple haul. He could have done it faster with a forklift, but the loader was more versatile, and he didn't really have room for a forklift on the Melody anyway.

He was briefly distracted from his duties by his crewmates passing through his cargo hold. He saw Xun's wave and returned one of his own, a simple flick of his hand. Then it was back to work.

The power loader is rated for loads of up to 4,000 kilos, though Sam prefers not to push its limits. The loader is his living; he'd sunk almost all of his savings into buying it when he signed on with Captain Mitchell, and every scratch and dent it suffered in the line of duty gnaws at his gut. So he contents himself with lifting a single crate in each of the loader's claws, carrying them slowly and steadily across the cargo bay and down the ramp. He sets them down gently, then ponderously turns the suit and marches back into the ship for the next load.

He was looking forward to seeing a couple of his old friends once he was done offloading the cargo. Stick had served with him in the war, mostly as a camp cook. He was as skinny as you'd expect a man named Stick to be, despite finding every opportunity he could to sneak a quick bite when no officers were looking. He'd lost a leg and half an arm to a mortar at Serenity Valley, but was still able to make an honest living tending bar at a small saloon near the docks called the Dust Bowl.

Dustin Bradley had been at Serenity Valley, too, but on the other side. Sam didn't hold that against him. The big man was almost as tall as he is, but the years since the war had turned his broad chest into a broader gut. He'd inherited his family's farm on Persephone, and had a fair amount of success trading freeze-dried fruits and vegetables. Back when Sam served on the Clear Sky, Dustin had been a steady source of work, and a good friend to have a drink with.

First, though, the cargo needs to be unloaded. And he'd have to make sure Captain Mitchell didn't need him for anything else, either. Sam is still adjusting to being first mate; he'd been a crew leader at the warehouse on New Melbourne, but there he'd known how his workers' jobs were supposed to be done. His crewmates aboard the Melody each had their own set of skills and responsibilities, and Sam knows next to nothing about what most of those entail. Well, the position of first mate is mostly honorary, he thinks. If someone needs to be set straight, the Captain will know.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:44 pm

Twitch moved all the cargo that didn't require a power loader to budge, placing it in a pile outside the cargo bay. Satisfied that she had helped Cheong all she could without actually speaking to him, Twitch jotted down what had just transpired in her journal. The memories for recent events seemed to be more reliable than those before, but you could never be too careful. Satisfied, she ran to Shikra.

"Since Bruce and Xun have gone out on a shopping, we should have enough time to shop ourselves. Besides, I want to stretch my legs, and they might get in a fight and then we'd be sorry we weren't there to help."

Twitch liked Shikra, he didn't expect her to smile at him.

EDIT EDIT: Reverted it back to approximately what it was before I edited it out of confusion resulting from a space-time flux. It should now follow causality.
Last edited by PossiblyInsane on Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CraigM

Postby CraigM » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:56 pm

Shikra's concentration thus broken he frowns sharply.

"What are you...." was all he got out before he caught himself. While he liked to remain focused, he had a strange affection for the irrepressible ball of energy.

"Next time try to be a little less distracted when walking" removing most, but not all traces of irritation.

"If you want to get out of the ship for a bit, why don't you help me carry these hydraulic spanners to the markets. I've got some electronic components I'll carry. Just remember what I taught you, never look for the cleanest, nicest, most competently run shop. We want to find the guy who barely knows what he's doing. Get the best prices that way. If you find one being run by an apprentice while the master is out so much the better."

With that Shikra hefts half a dozen random ship components over his shoulder, letting Twitch grab the hydraulics. While Shikra wasn't always the most capable at reading people, there were certain signs that are hard to miss. Now to find the most overwhelmed, frazzled, bug eyed parts merchant he could.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:29 pm

Twitch lifted the hydraulics over her head, the purr of her hearts shifting up a note. Shikra was pretty good at bartering, but he didn't know how to charm people. She remembered exchanging smiles and laughter with people, then those people giving discounts, trinkets, passage, freedom, all sorts of nice things. But that was so long ago, before... anyways, what had she done back then to do that? Right, feminine wiles.

Twitch put on her biggest, widest, best smile (perhaps frightening some passing children/adults), shifted her shirt to a more revealing position, and searched for the merchant best fitting Shikra's description.
RedSun

Postby RedSun » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:34 pm

Yun gave a relieved sigh as she put the last dish out to dry. When she signed on, she hadn't expected to end up cooking most of the meals, but in retrospect it was probably the only reason she got a bunk; before her arrival, the crew had evidently been living off nutrition bars, precooked meals and scrambled eggs. It was probably for the best, though; running software and maintaining the armory were essential tasks, sure, but they weren't time-consuming ones, and it helped to look busy. She dried her hands and headed to her room.

She threw on an unrevealing winter gown, grabbed her travel bag and donned a tea hat. She hid two derringers under her coat in addition to the revolver she strapped to the hem of her dress. She had supplies to buy and weapons to hock, and on Persephone, her otherwise unusual dress would make her look like a local, which was always a plus when negotiating. People were more likely to rip off a tourist then someone who could be back tomorrow carrying more firepower than they had yesterday.

She sauntered off to the cargo bay, to see if she might need to make herself useful before she took off.
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:35 pm

(OOC: Hallelujah, we've shifted back to past tense. I was having so much trouble writing in present.)

Sam was just carrying down the last of the crates when he saw Yun. He paused for a moment, making sure that the load was balanced, and gave her a wave. He liked Yun; she was usually pretty quiet, and that suited Sam just fine. Talkative people always made him feel a little anxious; he spoke slowly and liked to choose his words carefully, and he tended to feel left behind in rapid-fire conversations. Chatting with locals over a beer was one thing, but keeping up with Twitch's stream-of-consciousness rambling was another entirely.

Speaking of, Twitch hadn't said a word to him when she arrived to help with the cargo. That was odd. Had he upset her? He shrugged, lowered the last of the cargo, and turned back to the ramp.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:00 pm

While looking for a likely looking buyer, Twitch considered Sam Cheong. Before she considered his general sluggishness an almost deliberate insult, but the Captain sending her to help him when there was no Twitch to annoy suggested that Cheong couldn't help himself. Maybe the best thing to do would be to not raise the issue, or speak to him, until Twitch could figure out a more polite way of talking with him. "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." she remembered someone saying. Maybe that was the best way. The tricky bit was the whole "nice to say" part. What did that mean, anyway?
Lachlan the Mad

Postby Lachlan the Mad » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:36 am

Seriously? Writing a PbP in the past tense? I'll, um, give it a go...

Bruce led (dragged) Xun towards his favourite merchant on Persephone, an alcohol importer by the name of Dan. Dan got a pretty damn good range of beers in, and you could usually find something half-decent from one of the outer worlds. No Wolloomooloovian beer, sadly, but then again the Woolloomooloovian breweries never produced much of a surplus, considering how much beer the population could get through.

"Now Xun mate, I've never looked past the beer aisle of Dan's place, but I s'pose you could find some of your fancy booze in there. It's a big shop, there's other aisles."
Skitzophrenik

Postby Skitzophrenik » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:10 pm

Harvest is what they call November on Persephone. It is nearly noon when the ship lands, however, and the bright sun has chased away most of the chill from Eavesdown Docks. The air is crisp, and folks are wearing gloves and hats with thier jackets or coats as they move about in droves. There are two-hundred berths at Eavesdown Docks for mid-class ships like Melody alone, and that's just the third of five sizes of berths.

Outside the ship directly is a food vendor (this is a fortunate occurance if you're trying to get walk-up passengers, but can be an annoyance if you need to do anything on the sly, because patrols tend to stop as well) advertizing pork sandwiches, a variety of local roughage, and hot beverages. The dockyard itself is host to a small city worth of shops and stores, tending toward the needs of the ships and their crews, and to the passengers of those ships. Twitch heads off towards the mechanics and scrap dealers while Yun heads towards the market. Harvest is aptly named, and there is plenty of local produce available, as well as the non-perishable sundries that are the norm for a ship's fare.

Xun and Bruce have shipped out of Eavesdown long enough to have a few favorite places to bu their drink, but in the realm of retail ther eis no crossover. The two men have entirely different philosophies in regards to the drink, even though they both strive for the same functionally alcoholic end. There is, happily, a pair of bars that both men can stand, and one of them isn't far from Berth 64, where Melody is nestled behind her steadily growing stacks of offloaded goods. The Alliance patrol eating and early lunch at the vendor seems to be waiting for Sam to finish to carry out their inspection, from their relaxed stance.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:40 am

Twitch continues her search for most incompetent, overwhelmed, youngest, possibly apprentice shop minding parts merchant she can, to get the best price for her hydraulics.
CraigM

Postby CraigM » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:56 am

Shikra is struggling to keep pace with Twitch. I had told her to carry the hydrauics with me to a shop, I hadn't told her to run there.

Still it beats having to haul it all himself. These electronics were heavy enough as is. Still the scrap and parts vendors shouldn't be far.
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:24 pm

Sam lowers the last pair of crates to the ground near the Alliance inspectors, then gives them a nod and steps back to give them space. As he waits, he looks over the power loader's readouts and checks for any new dings or scratches.
Lachlan the Mad

Postby Lachlan the Mad » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:04 am

Bruce, having been denied the ability to explore a liquor store by DM fiat, has gone to the pub to secure the purchase of alcohol for the haul. As well as a few bottles for the trip back to the boat. It's a long walk, people!

Return to “Play-by-Post”