Firefly OOC Thread

Text-based gaming!
Kavonde

Re: Firefly: Into the Black

Postby Kavonde » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:38 pm

anaphysik wrote:
Skitzophrenik wrote:I'm going to hold the number of characters at seven, too. Y'all can tweak away for now (game wont be starting for a couple of days, most likely) but I'm gonna call it at seven.
Awww, no room for a plucky animal to act as ship's pet?

We already have Twitch.

(Also, I tweaked Sam's stats a hair. Just a heads-up for Skitz.)
Jace911

Postby Jace911 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:05 am

Xun doesn't look like a retired combat pilot and war veteran at first glance, or the subsequent ones either; he's a taller than average man of Asian descent, with a pot belly contrasting his otherwise lean frame, a face etched with wrinkles and hard living, and a full head of shock-white whispy hair that dangles down to his ears. He usually wears a ragged pilot's jumpsuit with the lower left leg cut raggedly at the knee to allow him access to his prosthetic (Which frequently malfunctions when left dormant for a while and gives him a stiff gait), as well as a ratty wide-brimmed hat that he refuses to let out of his sight (It was a gift from his son before his death) even when at the helm. When interacting with the rest of the crew Xun is usually silent or terse at best, preferring to say as few words as possible. Unless he's been drinking, of course, in which case he transforms from a bitter old man into a kind and grandfatherly figure towards everyone (Even Twitch).

As for Melody, Xun would say that he and the old ship have a love-hate relationship, like a cantankerous mule and its crotchety owner. He curses and spits and kicks at the console when she fails to meet his expectations, and often she'll give a shudder or a sudden bump right back to let him know his surliness isn't appreciated...but when the crew really needs them, they never fail to come together like two halves of a puzzle. In those moments, Xun swears sober that he feels closer to her than he ever did with his ex-wife.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:20 am

Kavonde wrote:
anaphysik wrote:Awww, no room for a plucky animal to act as ship's pet?

We already have Twitch.

(Also, I tweaked Sam's stats a hair. Just a heads-up for Skitz.)

Twitch has a memory of a kindly man putting a dog collar on her and taking her out for a walk, but that memory wasn't real and/or not for kids.

(I have also finalized Twitch's stat tweaking, and unless I have a sudden redefinition of my mental image of her should remain that way.)
Skitzophrenik

Postby Skitzophrenik » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:38 am

Krellen still needs to pick a First Mate for Captain Mitchell. I'm going to start working up the first thread.
Lachlan the Mad
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Mad » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:39 am

So we're posting character descriptions now? Alrighty.

Bruce is pretty short (5'5"? I don't speak inches) and slightly hunched. He's bald on the top of his head, but has long wiry hair on the back and sides, and a scruffy beard and moustache; his hair is grey with tinges of a former bright red. His complexion is terrible and spotty. He usually wears his "beigecoat" (the standard-issue coat from the browncoat medical corps -- it's light brown with medic signals, and incredibly hard-wearing) while he's working, and a large leather hat whenever he's outside.

Regarding the ship; I'm not sure. Is Bruce new on board, or is he an old hand? He'll probably start the game by being late for takeoff, because he was looking for a decent beer.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:49 am

If Captain Mitchell is starved for a first mate, Twitch volunteers, because that way she could very attentively listen to the Captain and find out why he looks at her funny and tries never to be alone in the same room as her. Twitch hopes it's not love, because at the moment she feels such a relationship with an employer would be unprofessional. Tomorrow, who knows?
Last edited by PossiblyInsane on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
anaphysik

Postby anaphysik » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:51 am

Lachlan the Mad wrote:So we're posting character descriptions now? Alrighty.

Spoilerific advice: never accept medical aid from this man. And never let him know that you own shinies.
Lachlan the Mad
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Mad » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:01 am

anaphysik wrote:
Lachlan the Mad wrote:So we're posting character descriptions now? Alrighty.

Spoilerific advice: never accept medical aid from this man. And never let him know that you own shinies.

He's just inspiring the appearance, not necessarily the personality :P
anaphysik

Postby anaphysik » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:06 am

Lachlan the Mad wrote:
anaphysik wrote:Spoilerific advice: never accept medical aid from this man. And never let him know that you own shinies.
He's just inspiring the appearance, not necessarily the personality :P
Hey, I never said it was /helpful/ advice. Although for some settings that second bit is just plain standard operating procedure ;P
Skitzophrenik

Postby Skitzophrenik » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:07 am

Y'all are the crew. No one specified that they would be joining as passengers, so they aren't.
CraigM

Postby CraigM » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:30 am

Shikra is just a shade under 2 meters, medium build, with sharp features. He has close cropped facial hair that tapers into a point, though he jokingly refers to it as a beak, beneath his chin. His hair, other than a generous forehead, is thick, and typically tied into a ponytail. Due to his mixed heritage he could at first glance pass as Caucasian, with the exception of his eyes and nose. His physical features offer a confused combination. Musculature of someone who spends his day working with tools, combined with a slightly plump waistline of someone who spends his day working at a desk.

Combined with his demeanor he has the perpetual look of probing disapproval. He has the look of a hunter, a bird of prey, only accentuated by the various scars and tattoos along his face and arm. In reality he is quite friendly to those within his circle of trust, which by necessity will include almost everyone he crews with. Those outside his trust find that his look understates how sharp he can be.
krellen

Postby krellen » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:40 am

Here's how I see the crew right now:

Cheong, Xun and Bruce are all old hands; they've been flying with the Captain for at least several missions already (up to y'all exactly how long). Saker and Twitch are more recent additions; probably signed on at the last planet because the Captain was desperate for an engineer (I see the two came as a set, though what exactly their relationship with each other is unclear.)

I'm not sure how Yun fits in. She's clearly a hacker/tinker/gunner, but I'm not even sure Melody has guns (thinking about having half of it outfitted for passengers, rather than cargo). If she had the ability to actually talk to people and keep them in line (a negative Talent basically means you're Jayne, and there's no Jaynesville) I could see her being the First Mate (hacking comes in handy when you're trying to fabricate parking permits for your stolen ship), but as it is she needs to be kept in the back with Twitch, Saker and Bonesaw, all of whom should probably never talk to people.

(Note: the Captain's -1 Resolve basically makes him a slave to his vices - like his chronic gambling that keeps him (and the ship) in more debt that can really be afforded.)
krellen

Postby krellen » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:15 am

Here are my current thoughts on how Melody is configured:

Before Mitchell "acquired" it, Melody was a rich man's pleasure-yacht, and it still shows many signs of this. The port cargo bay isn't really a cargo bay; it's configured as a comfort area/common room, with entertainment facilities, a galley, and even bathrooms for the passengers who bunk in the port-side bunks, which are divided off from the rest of the ship by an air-tight bulkhead door, giving passengers some privacy from the crew. The centrepiece of the passenger area is the grand piano kept there, which the Captain is very protective of - it's one of his prize possessions.

There are three crew quarters along the starboard side of the cockpit capsule; the first quarter, behind the cockpit's bulkhead, is reserved for the pilot (who also enjoys a private-ish toilet across the hall on the port side). The cockpit has stations for a pilot and co-pilot, along with a navigator/gunner (not that Melody has any armaments) position. The other two crew quarters, outside the cockpit's bulkhead, are reserved for the captain and the first mate.

The starboard bunks are reserved for the crew; currently divided (by necessity) between men and women, which means Twitch is currently enjoying a private bunk (or possibly shared with only Yun), while Cheong, Bruce and Saker all share the other bunk. There's easy access to the cargo bay from the crew bunks.

Engineering is belowdecks; all the nuts and bolts and engines and turbines and what have you are there. The crew galley doesn't have a ladder in the middle of it, giving the crew a bit more room, as well as two bathrooms (and showers) to share; by tradition, the Captain has private use of one bathroom for an hour a day. The crew area also includes a medical bay (on the starboard side), while there is a storage room - the Captain holds the only key - on the port side used to secure cargo that must be kept secure, or as a holding place for anything which the passengers wish to insure kept safe. The Captain usually insists that passengers store their weapons in the secure storage.

Passengers are usually confined to the port common area and kept out of crew areas; most passengers are happy with this arrangement.

Note: each cargo bay has its own loading ramp, so passengers can be kept completely isolated from any cargo the ship may be carrying.

Any thoughts on this?
krellen

Postby krellen » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:18 am

Desmond Mitchell looks like a good Alliance boy, probably because he is - or was. Clean shaven, well-groomed, and almost always clad in a well-tailored suit - though he keeps the collar open, with no tie - he is almost always poised and tries to keep an immaculate appearance. It would not be unfair to call him a pretty man, though most women find him to be quite dashing and handsome, and his face seems naturally inclined to a smile. He has the pale-ish yellow skin common to most Alliance aristocracy, dark hair, and bright blue eyes he inherited from his Caucasian ancestors.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:33 am

I see Twitch's relationship with Saker as a one time apprentice providing help in the workshop in exchange for tutorship, and came back after being brain-scrambled for a job outside the scrutiny of certain hostile parties. She found him in a spot of trouble, shot/tore said trouble to pieces, and was quickly hired as a technical assistant/bodyguard. Her unreliable memory but endearing devotion to one of her few intact links to her past let her stay on longer than the rest of Saker's assistants, until they were hired as a package on the Melody. Twitch sees Saker as a surrogate big brother figure, and tries to help him however she can. I can't speak for Saker's opinion of Twitch.

Regarding bunks, Twitch's habits may put a strain on potential bunkmates, either driving away all but the most tolerant/controlled, or putting Twitch on a mattress somewhere else on the ship.
Last edited by PossiblyInsane on Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
krellen

Postby krellen » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:42 am

BTW, if Yun stays as-is, I'll just name Cheong first mate and call it a day.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:13 am

As she is now (RedSun being temporarily unavailable from time zone differences, and thus unable to give the final verdict on the character) Yun probably was originally a passenger looking to get far away from her troubles, then offered her hacking services when Melody raised a red flag when docking into port for being 'stolen'. In this case she may have gotten on a few trips ago, possibly after Captain Mitchell tried testing the waters around the Core regarding the Melody's ownership. Yun's interest in guns blossomed after exposure to the underworld and it's wide variety and free use of weaponry.

(Of course, RedSun has the final say, these are just a few thoughts on how Yun might have got on the Melody.)
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:34 am

I'm definitely liking the layout, particularly the port-side mini-hotel complete with grand piano. (A very nice touch.) I'd like to add that the port cargo bay's outermost wall is predominantly yellow, thanks to Cheong's somewhat overzealous belief in the power and utility of cargo restraining straps. My power loader suit is similarly secured along the inner wall, forward of the stairs down. Typically, freight will be packed along the outer wall, filling inward as needed. He's also got a weight bench and a couple of blue exercise mats towards the rear of the bay, along the inner wall. There is always a path from the power loader to the cargo ramp. Please do not clutter it.
Skitzophrenik

Postby Skitzophrenik » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:59 am

Anyone with access to decent image editing software who wants to make the deck plans look the way krellen just described gets bonus points. I like a good (accurate) map.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:41 pm

Skitzophrenik wrote:Anyone with access to decent image editing software who wants to make the deck plans look the way krellen just described gets bonus points. I like a good (accurate) map.

I have Photoshop/Illustrator, so unless someone else fancies themselves an artist (actually can and does art, or feels relatively confident about their artistic prowess, I'll see what I can do.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:46 pm

Since I'm editing it anyway, krellen, would you like me to remove/alter the guns?
Skitzophrenik

Postby Skitzophrenik » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:02 pm

Ditch the guns.
CraigM

Postby CraigM » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:29 pm

Whew, I also have Illustrator, but am woefully inept at it. If it'd have been left up to me everything would have been a variant of a colored box. Hell it's taken me over 20 minutes to make the piano. PossiblyInsane it's all yours. If you want a piano though I've got a damn fine one made for you ;-)
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:09 pm

Damn fine pianos would be greatly appreciated.

Return to “Play-by-Post”