Firefly OOC Thread

Text-based gaming!
Skitzophrenik

Re: Firefly: Into the Black

Postby Skitzophrenik » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:45 am

Craig, its always good to have someone on the ship who knows how to fix the engines. Or the life support. Or the artificial gravity.

Twitch, crazed amnesiac gunwoman/technician? This ship needs a psychiatrist.
CraigM

Postby CraigM » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:48 am

PossiblyInsane wrote:
CraigM wrote:Hmm, well ok then. How about a more MacGyver type tinkerer then? Someone to fix up equipment on one hand, improvise some crazy contraption the next.

In that case I may steer my character away from the technical side of things, unless you want a slightly erratic assistant.

If by assistant you mean human guinea pig distinguished device tester than sure. A propensity for amnesia is a bonus no less!

Alright I've edited my bio to reflect changes.
Skitzophrenik

Postby Skitzophrenik » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:52 am

The YU-410 Mid-bulk Transport Melody

Captain Desmond Mitchell
Deng Xun, Pilot
Sam Cheong, Weightmaster
Bruce the Bonesaw, Medic/Vet
Shikra Saker, Engineer
Twitch, Gunwoman/Technical Assistant/Mental Case
krellen

Postby krellen » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:09 am

Twitch makes the Captain nervous, which means she really ought to have a pre-existing relationship with one of the other crew members to vouch for her.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:14 am

krellen wrote:Twitch makes the Captain nervous, which means she really ought to have a pre-existing relationship with one of the other crew members to vouch for her.

Perhaps as the indispensable (it's very hard to flatline someone with 3 hearts and 7 adrenal medula) assistant of the good Shikra, much needed Engineer?

EDIT: After the organ smuggling ring breakup she asked the man who taught her everything she currently knows about engineering for a non Core World job recommendation? Memory being what it is, she remembers the good times had poring over electrical circuitry with cowShikra while self protectively wiping all recollection of the horrible things that can be done with a few circuit boards and 786.6 centimeters of copper wire.
Last edited by PossiblyInsane on Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Skitzophrenik

Postby Skitzophrenik » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:17 am

Man spoiler tags are annoying from a phone. I can't wait for those hot organs to start burning out on poor Twitch
RedSun

Postby RedSun » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:22 am

Baek Yun, Female, Age 28

Speed: 0
Prowess: 0
Immunity: 1
Resolve: 2
Ingenuity: 4
Talent: -1

From her background alone, no one would have pegged Yun as the type to be tinkering around a smuggling vessel. They'd have also been perplexed by the complex array of munitions and "munition accessories" that littered her bunk. They'd have been downright shocked by the outrageous amount of money she'd withdrawn from her parent's bank account before she began her little sojourn-though the amount she'd left was still pretty outrageous.

Then again, anyone that easily befuddled probably wouldn't have seen all those burn scars coming either.

Born the daughter of a wealthy industrialist and a slightly less wealthy diplomat, Yun was taught to keep quiet and be polite, demure, and attractive, and it served her well; even helped her convince her father to get her a good tech school. And then the accident happened, and suddenly she found herself back home and really only using the "keep quiet" portion of her repertoire. For years, she allowed herself to be kept in self-exile, embarrassed and ashamed, what skill she had with computers steadily atrophying. Then she boarded a smuggling vessel and dove into the verse's seedier elements, where she regained a good deal of her training-and decided to pile on a few lessons in weapons hardware, because if you can make a targeting system, you should be able to make the cannon, too.

EDIT: Crap, we've already got a gunwoman. Should I reconfigure, or are the hacker elements enough to justify the character's position?
Last edited by RedSun on Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
CraigM

Postby CraigM » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:23 am

Works for me. I do believe I recall you accidentally triggering one of my more, shall we say, temperamental devices and living to tell the tale. Something about surviving an electric shock, dancing around an projectiles from an automated turret, and managing to shoot some of the Reavers I was trying to protect myself from caught my attention.

That said survivor presented an almost complete lack about compunctions about trying any fool thing I devised would certainly go over well.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:28 am

RedSun wrote:EDIT: Crap, we've already got a gunwoman. Should I reconfigure, or are the hacker elements enough to justify the character's position?

I'm willing to share, we'll need more than one gun (especially a sane one) on this ship, and the hacking elements work for me.
RedSun

Postby RedSun » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:33 am

PossiblyInsane wrote:
RedSun wrote:EDIT: Crap, we've already got a gunwoman. Should I reconfigure, or are the hacker elements enough to justify the character's position?

I'm willing to share, we'll need more than one gun (especially a sane one) on this ship, and the hacking elements work for me.

Well, I mean "gunwoman" in terms of makes gun's, modifies guns, programs software for guns, operates large guns, and does some security hacking on the weekends(which I see as a good thing, because "can I hack this?" is a DM-dependant question anyway).
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:39 am

RedSun wrote:
PossiblyInsane wrote:

Well, I mean "gunwoman" in terms of makes gun's, modifies guns, programs software for guns, operates large guns, and does some security hacking on the weekends(which I see as a good thing, because "can I hack this?" is a DM-dependant question anyway).

Ah, Ok. I meant "gunwoman" as "woman who is good at shooting things with one/two handed guns very quickly and semi-accurately". I imagined the tech side as more engine repair and technical assistance for cowShikra.

Also, quote pyramids are fun!
Skitzophrenik

Postby Skitzophrenik » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:43 am

I remarked earlier to krellen that a hacker character would work will in the Firefly 'Verse, particularly if you're in the Central Planets.

Two people who are good at gunplay is better than one. I still haven't heard if krellen intends to have the Melody be armed, but considering the illegal nature of the ship's ownership, aving it mount weapons will only make things more exciting.

The YU-410 Mid Bulk Transport Melody

Captain Desmond Mitchell
Deng Xun, Pilot
Sam Cheong, Weightmaster
Bruce the Bonesaw, Medic/Vet
Shikra Saker, Engineer
Twitch, Gunwoman/Technical Assistant/Mental Case
Baek Yun, Armorer/Hacker
Jace911

Postby Jace911 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:45 am

Xun is also a pretty good shot with compact weapons thanks to his Alliance training (Even pilots have to shoot things sometimes) but I'm guessing Captain Mitchell won't want his only pilot getting into the mix for obvious reasons.

EDIT: Dammit, this is really making me want to start up an Edge of the Empire PbP game...
krellen

Postby krellen » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:03 am

This crew needs a First Mate, and right now the most qualified person is Cheong. Which is scary.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:13 am

krellen wrote:This crew needs a First Mate, and right now the most qualified person is Cheong. Which is scary.

By 'qualified', I take it you mean 'least criminal and/or insane'?
krellen

Postby krellen » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:16 am

The ability to talk to someone without them wanting to immediately punch you in the face also helps.
Skitzophrenik

Postby Skitzophrenik » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:19 am

Remember, a -1 to a stat in SPIRIT means that that stat is significantly impared. A -1 prowess means you'd get winded (to the point of having to staop and catch your breath) going up a flight of stairs, for example.

I'm going to hold the number of characters at seven, too. Y'all can tweak away for now (game wont be starting for a couple of days, most likely) but I'm gonna call it at seven.
krellen

Postby krellen » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:08 am

BTW, that post was a hint for someone to modify their character to a First Mate position. Yun's probably the best candidate at this point.
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:04 am

I probably should have done more of a background on Sam than I did. Lemme see, here.

EDIT: Just pasted all the stuff I wrote here into my original submission.

So, yeah. Sam might make a decent first mate, as long as you don't need him to shoot anything. Despite being a big, tough-looking dude, he's not really a dumb brute. But I'm not sure how he'd do if he had to take command in a crisis.
Last edited by Kavonde on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:25 am

Bruce, whose full name is Bruce "Bonesaw" Brucessonsson, can also handle a gun; he grew up on a farm (that's some hefty gun training right there) and got some token firearms training with the browncoats. I see him as carrying two guns in his starting equipment; a big old unwieldy hunting rifle/shotgun from the farm, and a medium-sized pistol with a removable silencer from the browncoats. I don't think he's likely to charge straight into combat though.
Skitzophrenik

Postby Skitzophrenik » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:29 am

Y'all don't have to be a party built to fight. Serenity only has three dedicated combatants out of nine crew and permanant passengers. Enough guns to make a strategic withdrawl from a location will suffice.
CraigM

Postby CraigM » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:44 pm

Shikra Saker was born Alexander Xu to rim world colonists. Born to a Chinese father and American mother, both of whom were engineers of various stripes. He grew up with a wrench in one hand, and star charts in the other. He took to life on the stars during the Independence war.

His home town was attacked by Alliance forces, supposedly for harboring Browncoats. The reality, and everyone knew it, was this was merely a cover. The Alliance convoy that destroyed his home was desperately low on supplies and manpower. They took everything that wasn't nailed down, and imprisoned many of the townspeople on trumped up charges. That these imprisoned people were immediately pressed into prison labor aboard the ships was strictly coincidence.

Alexanders parents were taken during the raid, though he had escaped since he was doing repairs on some of the equipment outside of town. Afterwards he joined the rebellion and changed his name, now Shikra Saker taking his name from birds of prey in his parents native China. This done in an attempt to protect his family from reprisals, since as far as he knows his parents are still prisoners aboard an Alliance vessel. He plied his trade fixing, building, and maintaining any spare piece of machinery he could to fend off the Alliance. After the war he continued by manning any ship he could find, though with his background those turned out to be mostly on the ambiguously legal side.

Officially, though, very few people know that. As far as most people are concerned Shikra is his real name, he was merely the son of some rim world colonist engineers who joined the rebellion. Though many smuggler pilots have noted a certain anxiety whenever certain classes of Alliance vessel come into view. Most attribute this to lingering trauma from the war though.
Skitzophrenik

Postby Skitzophrenik » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:01 pm

I resized and reoriented the YU-410 so I could see how large it is compared to a Firefly. Y'all can see the image right here. Overall you have twice the cargo area and a bit more free space, while the ship itself is a bit smaller than a Firefly.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:36 pm

Twitch is a woman of mixed ethnicity, wiry frame, currently red hair (Twitch has memories of it being natural, dyed, chemically imbalanced, and a scalp transplant. She is not sure which memory actually happened.), and several piercings and tattoos (help conceal surgery scars) of indeterminate origin. Her rib cage is somewhat larger than normal (expanded for more storage room, added to by shortened intestines) and close inspection reveals several lumps around her abdomen.

Twitch's eyes and fingers constantly dart around her surroundings, handling and examining objects left lying around (as well as people's pockets on a bad day). Twitch is aware that this habit makes people nervous, so she tries to give her full, wide-eyed, unblinking, and undivided attention to people she speaks to, with the exception of slow speaking Sam Cheong, with whom she gets bored, then annoyed, eventually running off to do small tasks between words. She speaks quickly and with very few pauses.

Twitch is very fast and strong for a woman of her size (due to several redundant circulatory organs and high adrenalin levels she's always running hot. Her muscles are tearing themselves apart from the strain, she heals to a certain extent during inter-planet travel time.). She forces herself to slow down before mealtimes, and prefers her food liquid or injected due to digestive difficulties (a cut down and under-fueled digestive system).

Twitch dresses in a variety of outfits ranging from utilitarian to revealing to covering from day to day as she tries to reconcile the person she once was, the person she is now, and the unreliable memory between the two. She stays up for a while a nights looking at herself in a mirror, sorting through memories until her heartbeat slows from a purr to mere enthusiastic percussion. I see her weapon of choice as a quick reloading, semi automatic handgun. Her most prized possession is a mahogany handled, industrial diamond edged straight razor (engraved "To my dear little 'Twitch', from a loving father." She doesn't let anyone see this.).
anaphysik

Postby anaphysik » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:30 pm

Skitzophrenik wrote:I'm going to hold the number of characters at seven, too. Y'all can tweak away for now (game wont be starting for a couple of days, most likely) but I'm gonna call it at seven.
Awww, no room for a plucky animal to act as ship's pet?

Return to “Play-by-Post”