Firefly OOC Thread

Text-based gaming!
Skitzophrenik

Firefly OOC Thread

Post by Skitzophrenik » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:00 pm

Transport Wanted:

Mid-bulk transport wanted. Need to move 3,200 lbs of cargo (2 4"x4" cargo pallets) from Eavesdown Dock, Persephone (Lux Protostar, White Sun System) to Paquin (Heinlein Protostar, Red Sun System). Cargo must depart by 4 Harvest (Persephone Calendar) must arrive within 3 weeks. Nothing spoilable. Offering 3200 Cr. Broadwave transcorp.outgoing@socon.biz

Into the Black: A Firefly-Verse Game of Adventure and Commerce.

I'm in the mood to run a game. I've been out of the world for a bit, and want to get my hand in. I like Firefly (most people do) and there is a decent wiki out there for anyone who can get pedantic about facts (I can, from time to time.)

I'm looking for a crew and ship to do some transport work. These will be jobs of varying legality across the Border and Rim worlds of the Firefly Verse. There is an official RPG out there (Serenity but I don't have a copy. I prefer the pared down SPIRIT system for play-by-posts, anyway.

Come up with a character concept and stats (6 point SPIRIT build) and post here. I'm looking for a Crew and ship here. So if you want to have your characters have pre-existing relationships, talk them out here. Someone have a great idea for a ship? Talk about it. Or use a Firefly. Or a YT-1300f.

I'll be coming up with some ideas for jobs, and for a plot arc (something my games unfortunately tend to lack). I'll leave a link to a Firefly-Verse wiki here, along with a map (or two) of the 'Verse. I didn't realize that the 'Verse was five star systems, and that some of those stars had helioformed protostars with subsystems until I looked for a map. It's pretty intense.
Last edited by Skitzophrenik on Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Skitzophrenik

Re: Firefly: Into the Black

Post by Skitzophrenik » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:10 pm

SPIRIT

SPIRIT (Speed, Prowess, Immunity, Resolve, Immunity, Talent) is krellen's system designed for play-by-posts over on the forum I know him from. I like it, and will be using it here.

Over here, krellen wrote:SPIRIT:

Speed
Prowess
Immunity
Resolve
Ingenuity
Talent

The SPIRIT system is a simple system to create characters for a variety of games. The system runs on a scale of -1 to 4 (0 being the “norm”), with variations by system on top of that. To perform a task, a difficulty is assigned (behind the scenes or up front) and an aspect of the character’s SPIRIT is chosen to rule the task. A 10-side die is thrown (or a random integer is generated from 1 to 10), the aspect is added to the roll, and the result is compared to the difficulty. If the total is equal to or greater than the difficulty: success! Otherwise: failure.

I personally run SPIRIT with an additional aspect: critical success and failure. If the value of the die roll plus aspect exceeds the target number by 5 or more, the character has achieved a critical success, resulting in extremely beneficial results. However, if the roll plus aspect value is lower than the target by 5 or more, the opposite is true: a critical failure occurs, bringing extremely detrimental outcomes to the character. Anyone else using SPIRIT is welcome to devise their own system, however.

An average task, one an average individual will succeed at half the time, has a difficulty of 6. Truly monumental tasks (lifting a car, solving Fermi’s Last Theorem, shrugging off cancer) may have difficulties of 11 or greater. Most difficulties will fall between 3 and 8.

In most games, characters will be built with between 4 and 8 points to divide among the aspects, but the exact total is up to the Game Master: more for more powerful characters, less for weaker characters.

The aspects of SPIRIT:
Speed: Speed covers tasks requiring haste and coordination, be it of hand, eye, foot or mind. Characters with a high Speed aspect will tend to be lithe and willowy. Catching a ball, running a race, or solving an equation in seconds are all tasks of Speed.

Prowess: Prowess covers tasks requiring strength, toughness, or size. Characters with a high Prowess aspect will tend to be brutes of both stature and frame. Striking a foe, breaking a board, or lifting a gate are all tasks of Prowess.

Immunity: Immunity covers tasks requiring resistance to adversity, both mental and physical. Characters with a high Immunity aspect will tend to be sturdy and stoutly built. Resisting pain, absorbing injury, and shrugging off illness are all tasks of Immunity.

Resolve: Resolve covers tasks requiring dedication, drive, and willpower. Characters with a high Resolve aspect will tend to be stubborn, ambitious, and proactive. Forced marching, prolonged argument, and resisting persuasion are all tasks of Resolve.

Ingenuity: Ingenuity covers tasks requiring cleverness, creativity, and imagination. Characters with high Ingenuity will tend to be inquisitive, probing and insightful. Solving a riddle, jury-rigging a repair, or crafting a tale are all tasks of Ingenuity.

Talent: Talent covers tasks requiring poise, grace, and charm. Characters with high Talent will tend to be charismatic, beautiful, and alluring. Commanding an army, navigating etiquette, and performances of all sorts are tasks of Talent.

In systems with magic, magic tends to be governed by the Resolve, Ingenuity, or Talent aspects, while it tends to be resisted by the Speed, Prowess, or Immunity aspects.

For Into the Black we'll be using six-point character builds. Better than strictly average, but not outside of "normal".
PossiblyInsane

Post by PossiblyInsane » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:57 pm

Twitch - Female, ~30 years of age

Speed: 4

Prowess: 3

Immunity: 0

Resolve: -1

Ingenuity: 1

Talent: -1

Between stints as a gunwoman/semicompotent technician, Twitch acted as an in-body organ smuggler before a combination of transplant trauma, bad medication, and incompetent surgery frazzled her mental circuitry. After finding she couldn't remember her name but having alternately fond/terrifying recollections of being raised by a family of sentient cows, she decided enough was enough and reported the smuggling ring to the Alliance mid-job. She is currently working for questionably legal employers away from Core worlds to take shelter from a vengeful criminal organization and Alliance reconsideration of informant treatment while sorting through her personal identity crisis.

Twitch is a woman of mixed ethnicity, wiry frame, currently red hair (Twitch has memories of it being natural, dyed, chemically imbalanced, and a scalp transplant. She is not sure which memory actually happened.), and several piercings and tattoos (help conceal surgery scars) of indeterminate origin. Her rib cage is somewhat larger than normal (expanded for more storage room, added to by shortened intestines) and close inspection reveals several lumps around her abdomen.

Twitch's eyes and fingers constantly dart around her surroundings, handling and examining objects left lying around (as well as people's pockets on a bad day). Twitch is aware that this habit makes people nervous, so she tries to give her full, wide-eyed, unblinking, and undivided attention to people she speaks to, with the exception of slow speaking Sam Cheong, with whom she gets bored, then annoyed, eventually running off to do small tasks between words. She speaks quickly and with very few pauses.

Twitch is very fast and strong for a woman of her size (due to several redundant circulatory organs and high adrenalin levels she's always running hot. Her muscles are tearing themselves apart from the strain, she heals to a certain extent during inter-planet travel time.). She forces herself to slow down before mealtimes, and prefers her food liquid or injected due to digestive difficulties (a cut down and under-fueled digestive system).

Twitch dresses in a variety of outfits ranging from utilitarian to revealing to covering from day to day as she tries to reconcile the person she once was, the person she is now, and the unreliable memory between the two. She stays up for a while a nights looking at herself in a mirror, sorting through memories until her heartbeat slows from a purr to mere enthusiastic percussion. I see her weapon of choice as a quick reloading, semi automatic handgun. Her most prized possession is a mahogany handled, industrial diamond edged straight razor (engraved "To my dear little 'Twitch', from a loving father." She doesn't let anyone see this.).
Last edited by PossiblyInsane on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:26 am, edited 15 times in total.
Kavonde

Post by Kavonde » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:51 pm

S'cuse me, I need to do an excited, girlish shriek of joy.

Okay, good to go.

Sam Cheong

Speed: -1

Prowess: 3

Immunity: 2

Resolve: 0

Talent: 1

"I've got experience runnin' a dozen kinds of heavy loading equipment. Used to work in a shipping warehouse on New Melbourne. You're haulin' freight 'cross the 'verse, you're gonna need someone who knows how to pack a cargo bay. Plus, I've got friends in ports all over the core. You need work, and maybe I know a guy who knows a guy. And, diyu, if things get stressed, it never hurts to have a guy my size scowlin' over your shoulder."

Sam Cheong is a tall, muscular man of obvious Chinese heritage. He has a heavy jaw, a jutting chin, a short and beak-like nose, and a thick brow framing a pair of hazel-colored, almond-shaped eyes. He keeps his head shaved, but maintains a thin beard that traces his jawline and chin. His voice is a deep bass, with the relaxed inflections of a colonist, and he tends to speak at a ponderous pace that no doubt irritates the hell out of Twitch.

Sam fought for the Independents in the Unification War, though he didn't see much real combat. He proved hopeless with firearms, cursed with a lack of coordination, poor depth perception, and terrible reflexes. Instead, he spent most of the war cooking, hauling, and driving noncombat vehicles from base to base. Many of his fellow soldiers resented him for his light duties, and he learned a fair amount about brawling over the course of his military career.

After the surrender at Serenity Valley, Sam and a few friends pooled their money to buy a small cargo ship, planning to make a legitimate living shipping freight across the Core worlds. The small company went under after a few years, but the friends Sam had made helped him find a steady job at a seafood packing plant on New Melbourne.

Sam was very recently fired from the job after holding it for four years. He says he had a "disagreement" with the warehouse's new manager, and refuses to go into any further detail. Fortunately, word of mouth reached him that a ship called the Melody was looking for a weightmaster, and he showed up for the interview with a shiny robot exoskeleton and his resume.

Sam's friends consider him to be a good guy to have a beer with. He's slow in a lot of ways--slow to speak, slow to move, slow to grasp new concepts--but also slow to anger or judgement.

EDIT: I tweaked Sam's stats just a bit, dropping his Immunity from 3 to 2 and raising his Ingenuity from 0 to 1. I like to think his ponderous way of going about life gives him a chance to think things through a bit more than most folks. Plus, I know from experience that packing cargo efficiently requires some brainpower.
Last edited by Kavonde on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
krellen

Post by krellen » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:56 pm

Are we pre-Serenity or post-Serenity? Basically, has the Alliance been shaken by the Reaver-Revelation yet?
Jace911

Post by Jace911 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:53 pm

For ships, I've always thought that CEC ships from Star Wars were very Firefly-esque:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... CX-350.jpg
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... YU-410.jpg
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... YV-929.jpg

I might put up a character concept in a bit, I have to chew over the ideas in my head.
Kavonde

Post by Kavonde » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:09 pm

Kinda digging the YU-410, myself. Though without the guns, of course.
anaphysik

Post by anaphysik » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:14 pm

There's a buttload of ship-plans for Star Wars. I'll see if I can find a linky later.
Skitzophrenik

Post by Skitzophrenik » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:17 pm

Just because former-Independent Malcolm Reynolds didn't want to mount weapons on his Freighter doesn't mean that is isn't possible to have (lawfully registered with the Government) weapons on a freighter, especially one which operates in the Rim and Border, where piracy is not unknown.

However in the Post-Miranda 'Verse it would be practically impossible for a former-Independent to get registration for weapons (and unregistred ship weapons are illegal.) Agitation in the Alliance Parliment following the So-Called Miranda Broadwave, and violent uprising on some of the Rim worlds (especially by former members of the Independents) has caused the Anglo-Sino Alliance to tighten a lot of regulations, and increase enforcement across the Cluster.

I'd leave the choice of what time period up to what the players want.

I think the YU-410 is a good looking boat as well.
CraigM

Post by CraigM » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:22 pm

Shikra Saker Male - 42 years old
Speed: 1

Prowess: 0

Resolve: 2

Ingenuity: 4

Who is Shikra, well let me tell you. I'm the man you hire when you need to keep things running. I've made my name throughout the 'verse as someone able to fix most any machine, or create one where there is a lack. Give me some tools, a power supply, and lots of bits of metal you won't miss much and I can get you into orbit. Give me an actual engine I can probably get us back down too. As for dealing with the gorram Alliance, well I've got my ways.

Anyhow if you've got a river that needs crossing, I've got a rocket powered personal launcher for you. If getting across alive is also important I might even attach a parachute.
Last edited by CraigM on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Skitzophrenik

Post by Skitzophrenik » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:38 pm

Kavonde, because you're awesome enough to make your character a cargo bay chief I'm going to gift you a Caterpillar P-5000 Power Loader as equipment on the ship for this game. You're weightmaster for the crew.

I know everyone likes to be mysterious, but plan on revealing enough about your characters that you can convince the othe rplayers (and their characters) that you'd be on the crew. I don't want strangers working with my on my interplanetary cargo ship.

And don't write your posts in the first person, everyone. I can get over typos (I make them myself) or wonky grammar and wanton abuse of the common comma, but don't write in the first persion.
Jace911

Post by Jace911 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:54 pm

Deng Xun - Male, 75 years of age
Speed: 3
Prowess: -1
Resolve: 2
Ingenuity: 2
Talent: 0

Years ago, Xun was a commercial freight pilot in the Central planets who was nearing an early retirement when the Unification War kicked off. After his only son was killed by an Indie suicide bombing on Persephone he transferred into the Navy's air corps, and despite his age found himself in the cockpit of a gunship for most of the conflict. Xun wasn't nearly as well known as some of the Alliance well-propagandized aces, but he earned more than his fair share of kills and was forced EVA more than a few times himself. The last time he did a piece of shrapnel from his own fighter took his leg off at the knee, requiring him to get a mechanical replacement. When the war ended he was more than a little surprised to find that the Alliance's gratitude at his service did not extend as far as his pension, and with the payments he was making on his new leg Xun and his wife could barely afford basic living expenses in Persephone's capital. He turned to the bottle, she got fed up and left, and eventually he found himself working as a freight pilot yet again for considerably shadier employers. Some folks might be in this business for the money or the adventure; Deng Xun just can't think of anything else he'd rather be doing for the last few decades of his life, and good liquor ain't cheap anyways.
Last edited by Jace911 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skitzophrenik

Post by Skitzophrenik » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:00 am

I played an retired Alliance Army Sergeant with an artifical arm once, Jace.

A comment on Age: apparently according to supplemntal materials 30-something Nathan Fillion played thirty-something-looking Mal Reynolds when Mal was forty-nine. In the 'Verse with regular medical care a person can live to 120 without being considered extra-ordinary. Fifty is the new Thirty-five. (And Thirty is the new Twenty.)

And the Unification War only ended ten years ago, Veterans.
Jace911

Post by Jace911 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:13 am

Caveat: how regular is medical care going to be when you're flying around on a broken-down tramp freighter between backwater planets? I always figured longevity was for the rich in Firefly like everything else shiny.
Skitzophrenik

Post by Skitzophrenik » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:20 am

I don't know. But Malcolm Reynolds was the son of a rich rancher on Border-world Shadow, and at 49 years old he looked like thirty-something Nathan Fillion. Use that as your guide, since I don't have any age numbers for the rest of the characters.
anaphysik

Post by anaphysik » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:23 am

YU-410 deckplan (empty):

YU-410 deckplan (filled with stuff):
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/6145 ... rfinal.jpg (large image)
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Post by Lachlan the Sane » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:47 am

I want to play the doctor, because the doctor would be an incredibly important role in any Firefly game, but I don't want to play a Mary-Sue version of Simon. Hmm... what's the furthest a doctor could get from Simon?

Bruce the Bonesaw - Male, 66 years old

Speed: 3
Immunity: 1
Resolve: 1
Ingenuity: 2

"Not all the doctors in the 'verse are Alliance poofters full of fancy-pants 'training'. Me, I learned the trade on sheep, on a little moon called Woolloomooloo, and let me tell you there is no critter in the 'verse that gets sicker'n a bloody sheep. Humans is pretty bloody easy by comparison. When the scuffle between the poofters and the browncoats grew a little too big for its boots, I signed up for the brownies, 'cause those stuff-shirted poofter bastards never did nothing for us. Anyways, I got through the war alright, spendin' most of my time in a tent on the back lines, sewin' people up and pouring turpentine down their throats 'til they was ready for another crack at the poofters. Got captured t'wards the end, and the poofters didn't shoot me 'cause they thought I was a doctor, bloody lucky. Got me nickname when I sawed a screw's leg off in the camp, but he had gangrene in it, I swear, and the bastard deserved it anyway.

"Anyways, there's nothin' for me back at Woolloomooloo 'cept more bloody sheep, even though the beer's good, and none of the poofter hospitals will take me on as a surgeon 'cause I got no shiny bit o' paper saying that I know how to pass a bloody exam. Besides, you can't find a decent beer on the Alliance worlds for love nor money -- it's like sex in a bloody canoe, it is. Guess I'm just looking for a boat that needs a doctor who won't ask questions, and a bit o' cash to buy me a beer or two. Oh, and whatever Bluey says, his leg was that colour before he went under. And that length."
Last edited by Lachlan the Sane on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
krellen

Post by krellen » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:14 am

"Captain" Desmond Mitchell

Speed: 2
Resolve: -1
Talent: 4

Melody was a good ship. Sure, maybe she pulled a bit to port while travelling atmospheric, and her landing struts were off a couple percentage points on their alignment, but overall, she was a good ship.

I mean, technically, according to the papers and the law, she was stolen, but there was truth, and there was Truth. Desmond had won the bet, and all the lawyers in the 'verse couldn't change that, whatever the law had to say about it.

So maybe Melody had to keep running to stay ahead of authorities and investigators; maybe she had to deal with a drunkard pilot and sodden sop doctor because alcohol was an easy way to keep them quiet. Maybe she had to keep a bunk for a great brute of a man who made sure her cargo stayed where it belonged and got where it meant to. Maybe her Captain had to take just about any job that paid, always staying one step ahead of his creditors and the sore losers.

But Melody was a good ship, and the gambling is only a problem if you lose.
Last edited by krellen on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skitzophrenik

Post by Skitzophrenik » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:21 am

The YU-410 Mid-bulk Transport Melody

Captain Desmond Mitchell
Deng Xun, Pilot
Sam Cheong, Weightmaster
Bruce the Bonesaw, Medic/Vet
Shikra Saker, Engineer
Twitch, Gunwoman/Technical Assistant/Mental Case
Last edited by Skitzophrenik on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
CraigM

Post by CraigM » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:24 am

If you need someone to adjust 'the law's' position vis a vis ownership of Melody, I might have ways.

Nothing officially illegal mind you, strictly speaking all you need to know is you wake up one morning and as far as law is concerned Melody is, was, and always will be yours.

Just don't be asking how, it's bribed judges highly technical.
CraigM

Post by CraigM » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:30 am

Skitzophrenik wrote:Captain Desmond Mitchell
Deng Xun, Pilot
Sam Cheong, Weihtmaster
Bruce the Bonesaw, Medic/Vet

Shikra Saker, Fixer - isn't this a guy who handles connections? Like Badger? This is an NPC job.
Twitch, Gunman? - I have no idea what this character is supposed to do. And I got a headache trying to follow what they were trying to say. Only The Rock is allowed to speak in third person, jabroni.

No not that kind of fixer. This kind
Skitzophrenik

Post by Skitzophrenik » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:32 am

Ahh. That's still an NPC role. PCs are way to transient to have enough connections of that type in one place to accomplish that much. You could be a guy who knows people, but unless you're tied to one location you can't be the guy.
PossiblyInsane

Post by PossiblyInsane » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:38 am

Skitzophrenik wrote:Twitch, Gunman? - I have no idea what this character is supposed to do. And I got a headache trying to follow what they were trying to say. Only The Rock is allowed to speak in third person, jabroni.

Okay, I've edited her character post for clarity and third person description, hopefully it's easier to make sense of now.
CraigM

Post by CraigM » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:39 am

Hmm, well ok then. How about a more MacGyver type tinkerer then? Someone to fix up equipment on one hand, improvise some crazy contraption the next.
PossiblyInsane

Post by PossiblyInsane » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:44 am

CraigM wrote:Hmm, well ok then. How about a more MacGyver type tinkerer then? Someone to fix up equipment on one hand, improvise some crazy contraption the next.

In that case I may steer my character away from the technical side of things, unless you want a slightly erratic assistant.