Twenty sided ROLL playing game

Text-based gaming!
Daemian Lucifer

Twenty sided ROLL playing game

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:56 pm

Ok,Xaossa inspired me to try and brew a system where races wouldnt be designed for specific classes,but rather give overall bonuses for all classes.For example,dwarves will be good defensive fighters,or mages focused on protection spells,or clerics focused on healing,or thieves focused on trap laying,while orcs would be great attacking fighters,or mages focused on damage,or clerics focused on smiting,or thieves focused on poisons and such.

In order to do this,Ill try to strip the system to its bare bones.So no strength,no intelligence,no charisma,etc,but rather we will have attack,defense,resistance,initiative,diplomacy and thievery.Though Im thinking of a way to remove diplomacy and thievery,so that the other stats are even more general,or to implement all of them into both combat and non-combat situations equally.More on the specifics later,if there is enough interest.

As for the actual dice rolling,we will be using this.We will create a room,and everyone will use their nicknames from here over there,so no cheating(not even from me).Im thinking of using just d10s,based on your stats(and skills and feats,if I manage to consolidate them nicely) and count the successes over 5(modified by enchantments and craftsmanship),but if you guys have something else in mind,Im all ears....err,I mean eyes.Rounds will last 24 hours in real world (unless everyone gets a go,in which case they will be shorter),and you can queue your actions in advance.If you miss the window,you will be put in automatic defense mode,and probably not be targeted as much.

What I need from you is:
- Tell me if you are interested(obviously).
- Decide on a setting(fantasy,punk(cyber,steam,tesla,or any of the other sub(sub(sub(sub...))) genres),space,or planeswalking).I could use one of the specific ones,like star wars,but Im not that versed into lore,so someone else would have to be a gm,while Id still fiddle with the mechanics.But multiple races are a requirement(so no settings in the real world),as well as at least one form of magic.
- Think of a way to make the humans more interesting.I would like my goblins to be the generalist class,and my humans to be...I have no idea what to do with them.Eliminate them completely maybe?
- Decide on the level of the adventure:Low,medium or high.Though if you start low,Ill try to make early progress quicker.
- Think of a preferred race/class combo.
- Give any other thoughts and ideas that I might implement.

Also psionics will be there,because psionics rule!
RedSun

Re: Twenty sided ROLL playing game

Postby RedSun » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:09 pm

-Interested

-Planes. Walking. What other roll-playing setting would give me the ability to strip the helmet off a Krogan Warlord and use it to beat a My Little Pony to death?

-Make humans the psionic race. In fiction, people are always the one's tripping over THAT WHICH MAN WAS NOT MEANT TO KNOW, losing their sanity and contact lenses, and starting cults for gods that will totally appreciate their efforts. It's also a hat that really only gets worn in more modern settings without your standard fantasy races, so you don't have to worry about tripping over the orc's FWAR hat or the elves "magic hippies" shtick.

-I saw we start at a low-medium level, maybe sixth? I don't want to start off at one, but I don't want to be fully capable from the getgo.

-Lizardfolk/Bard. Cuz FUCK YEAH LIZARDFOLK. They can be Spoony.

-Don't pull any of that Arcanum "magic and technology are at odds" crap. Do you really want to deprive your game of Ogre Mages with shotguns for arms?
Last edited by RedSun on Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:59 am

-I am interested.

-...There's always a difficult question, isn't there. While I am willing to partake of any setting, if I had to choose I would go with a space/cyberpunk setting, as I haven't done one of those in a while.

-Setting wise, human absence could be explained in a variety of ways, such as never existing in the first place, having been wiped out, or evolving/transhumanizing into other races. If humans are included in the setting, then their bonuses might best be determined by the role they fill in the setting.

For example, Roman-esque humans maybe have bonuses that encourage teamwork mimicking the organization of the legionaires/diplomacy to keep an empire together, so fighters focused on formation fighting/crowd control, mages focused on mind control/illusions to turn enemies against each other, thieves focused on flanking/social manipulation, clerics focused on empowering allies, etc. It seems odd to ascribe characteristics to humans based on one society, but the same thing is done with the rest of the races, so...I guess having a race hat is better than having no head cover whatsoever?

-Low/medium, as RedSun says. I'd like some toys to play with, but still have some more to look forward too.

-Cuttlefish derivative wizard/psion. The Enigmatic Cuttlefish of Deception's reasons for referring to The Enigmatic Cuttlefish of Deception in the third person are beyond the comprehension of mere chordates.

-Now that I think about it, the "race is best suited to only one or two classes" problem is an extension of the "race is indicative of only one or two society and character archetypes within that race" issue. A possibility would be to reclassify the racial bonuses as "combination of racial, social, economic, upbringing, and background factors shaping the character into what they are today" bonuses, although CORSEUABFSTCIWTAT doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:04 pm

RedSun wrote:-Don't pull any of that Arcanum "magic and technology are at odds" crap. Do you really want to deprive your game of Ogre Mages with shotguns for arms?

Of course not.I didnt like choosing between the two either.

Anyway,I figured out the perfect bonus for humans:Tool usage.Bonus on any task while using tools(fighting with swords,interrogating with psionic helmets,using magic wands,etc)and bonus for figuring out what new tools do.However,they are more squishy than the other races.
krellen

Postby krellen » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:06 pm

I don't know whether "squishy" humans make sense. We're one of the most resilient species on this planet. Virtually any other physical penalty would make more sense.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:18 pm

- Tell me if you are interested(obviously).
Sure thing. As long as it's kind of light on character creation, wince I don't know the systems, and can be played like we play all other of our forum games, that is to say almost asynchronously.

- Decide on a setting(fantasy,punk(cyber,steam,tesla,or any of the other sub(sub(sub(sub...))) genres),space,or planeswalking).I could use one of the specific ones,like star wars,but Im not that versed into lore,so someone else would have to be a gm,while Id still fiddle with the mechanics.But multiple races are a requirement(so no settings in the real world),as well as at least one form of magic.
Space of course. That gives the most room for nitpicking everything. :D Also everything else is fantasy more or less already.

- Think of a way to make the humans more interesting.I would like my goblins to be the generalist class,and my humans to be...I have no idea what to do with them.Eliminate them completely maybe?
Ehh. No idea. The generalist thing is simply a consequence to our inability to sufficiently put ourselves into shoes (more likely tentacle protectors) of something truly alien. So most races represent a enhanced facet of humanity. You could go with persistence. We ask questions and are not easily stopped by simple answers. Also physically, the human thing that homo sapiens does better than most other species is endurance. We'll not outrun you but we'll sure outlast you.

- Decide on the level of the adventure:Low,medium or high.Though if you start low,Ill try to make early progress quicker.
Not really versed with the term

- Think of a preferred race/class combo.
Hu-man scientist maybe. Also the ability to make big booms (it doesn't matter that I can not hit anyone) for SCIENCE! is not negotiable.

- Give any other thoughts and ideas that I might implement.
Got nothing right now[/quote]
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:50 pm

krellen wrote:I don't know whether "squishy" humans make sense. We're one of the most resilient species on this planet. Virtually any other physical penalty would make more sense.

On this planet,maybe(though thats debatable).But this is not the planet that has hominids that live for centuries fueled by gold and magic,nor hominids that can regenerate their heads after being decapitated,nor hominids that are a mix between rats and roaches.

I could put arrogance as a penalty for humans if I remove the elves though.Which I doubt anyone would be against.

4th Dimension wrote:Sure thing. As long as it's kind of light on character creation, wince I don't know the systems, and can be played like we play all other of our forum games, that is to say almost asynchronously.

Well character creation should be simple enough.Im trying to trim the feats and skills as much as possible.If Ill fail,Ill just drop them completely,and use only the above listed stats.

4th Dimension wrote:Space of course. That gives the most room for nitpicking everything. :D Also everything else is fantasy more or less already.

Well since I do intend to use both magic and psionics,space will be more like spelljammer.So technology fueled by magic,and magic fueled by technology.But IN SPAAAACEEE!

4th Dimension wrote:Hu-man scientist maybe. Also the ability to make big booms (it doesn't matter that I can not hit anyone) for SCIENCE! is not negotiable.

With the above stats,that would fall under thievery.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:13 am

We need no elves here. However, we do need bird people.

Also, maybe humans are the "dangerously curious" people. I'd suggest manifesting this as a higher chance to achieve both critical success and critical failure. Humans have a tendency to mess about with things and try stuff that others wouldn't, so they get lucky more often but unlucky more often as well. Alternatively, if you don't like that as a trait for humans, maybe you should do it as a trait for cat people.

Return to “Play-by-Post”