If we ran a Fallout RPG, what would you play as?

Text-based gaming!
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Re: If we ran a Fallout RPG, what would you play as?

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:22 am

Traiden wrote:What about pugilism, is that under Light melee?

Unarmed, at the end. I considered putting it under Light Melee, but that means that there's only one EN-based skill.

Akri wrote:
Lachlan the Mad wrote:- The Skullcrushers: Over in Florida, a corrupted G.E.C.K. led to the creation of vast mutant forests and swamplands. Things only got worse when a small dose of Forced Evolutionary Virus got into the population of mutated alligators (via a Super Mutant refugee from the Master's army), leading to the development of eight-foot-tall intelligent alligator people. Oh, and to make things even worse, the gatormen are fertile (although females are rare, and held as commodities by the most powerful males).

If a female were infertile, would she be free to wander off with a roving band of adventurers?.

Hmm, let me think...

Gatormen lay eggs. The sex ratio at hatching is 50/50 (it will always be 50/50 in any species which has paired sex chromosomes), but thanks to FEV problems most of the females are stillborn (stillhatched?) -- only about 10% of them survive. This means that the adult sex ratio is about 10 males to every female. Mothers have the duty of child-rearing, but the babies grow quickly and the mother is expected to have several broods on the go at once, so the male children mostly look after themselves. Females are held by their mother until they reach adulthood, at which point her father (or whoever her mother's current husband is) effectively puts the child out to market. The males fight over the female, with the strongest having the right to take her as a wife. Males can also challenge other males for the right to steal a wife; if they succeed, they're likely to kill any male children that the woman has had recently, but they'll never kill the female children -- regardless of who the father is, they're too valuable to waste. A highly privileged fighting male can amass a small harem, but this correspondingly draws more challengers. Adultery happens, but it's likely to lead to both parties and any recent male children being killed. The leader of the Skullcrushers has found success by amassing a harem of six females and allowing his followers to mate with them occasionally -- he still claims that all of the children are his though.

Women are treated like property and raised to be demure (by gator standards -- they'll still rip your head off if you look at them funny). An infertile female would be seen as a wasted investment and a crime against nature. She'd probably be killed by her husband when he figures it out, but if she managed to get away she could find success outside of gator society. Any male gators she runs into would probably be baffled -- they don't have a clue what to do with a woman aside from "fight someone until you're allowed to mate with her".

Rules-wise, Gators are Large (easier to hit, can wield heavy melee weapons and rifles one-handed but can't dual-wield them [they could dual-wield a heavy melee weapon or a rifle and a pistol or light melee weapon], ignore speed penalties from equipment, have higher carrying capacity), get Cannibalism as a trait and don't lose karma or trigger hostility when using it, gain only have the normal number of rads from eating irradiated food, and get perks once every three levels.
Last edited by Lachlan the Sane on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:27 am

Will there be any sort of "knowing how to survive out in the wilds of the bayou" skill, like Survival or Knowledge (Nature)?
Lachlan the Sane

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:38 am

Kavonde wrote:Will there be any sort of "knowing how to survive out in the wilds of the bayou" skill, like Survival or Knowledge (Nature)?

There is now. Thanks for that one.
Akri

Postby Akri » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:54 am

Lachlan the Mad wrote:Hmm, let me think...

Gatormen lay eggs. The sex ratio at hatching is 50/50 (it will always be 50/50 in any species which has paired sex chromosomes), but thanks to FEV problems most of the females are stillborn (stillhatched?) -- only about 10% of them survive. This means that the adult sex ratio is about 10 males to every female. Mothers have the duty of child-rearing, but the babies grow quickly and the mother is expected to have several broods on the go at once, so the male children mostly look after themselves. Females are held by their mother until they reach adulthood, at which point her father (or whoever her mother's current husband is) effectively puts the child out to market. The males fight over the female, with the strongest having the right to take her as a wife. Males can also challenge other males for the right to steal a wife; if they succeed, they're likely to kill any male children that the woman has had recently, but they'll never kill the female children -- regardless of who the father is, they're too valuable to waste. A highly privileged fighting male can amass a small harem, but this correspondingly draws more challengers. Adultery happens, but it's likely to lead to both parties and any recent male children being killed. The leader of the Skullcrushers has found success by amassing a harem of six females and allowing his followers to mate with them occasionally -- he still claims that all of the children are his though.

Women are treated like property and raised to be demure (by gator standards -- they'll still rip your head off if you look at them funny). An infertile female would be seen as a wasted investment and a crime against nature. She'd probably be killed by her husband when he figures it out, but if she managed to get away she could find success outside of gator society. Any male gators she runs into would probably be baffled -- they don't have a clue what to do with a woman aside from "fight someone until you're allowed to mate with her".

Rules-wise, Gators are Large (easier to hit, can wield heavy melee weapons and rifles one-handed but can't dual-wield them [they could dual-wield a heavy melee weapon or a rifle and a pistol or light melee weapon], ignore speed penalties from equipment, have higher carrying capacity), get Cannibalism as a trait and don't lose karma or trigger hostility when using it, gain only have the normal number of rads from eating irradiated food, and get perks once every three levels.

Ooh, I am liking this a lot.
anaphysik

Postby anaphysik » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:11 am

Or, you know, we could do a Fallout /setting/ and Fallout /style/ without using the strict Fallout /ruleset/ <_<
Jace911

Postby Jace911 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:43 am

anaphysik wrote:Or, you know, we could do a Fallout /setting/ and Fallout /style/ without using the strict Fallout /ruleset/ <_<

Bullshit, how else will we munchkin? D:<

I honestly have no problem with this, if it's cool with Lachlan I'm down. IIRC Rustkarn cobbled together a FATE system for Fallout during the last Aunty Paladin, does anybody have a copy of that somewhere?

Edit: Also, when we talk about mutant gatormen are we referring to this:

Or are they further down the human-scale of things, a la the Lizard from the most recent Spiderman movie?
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:36 am

FATE system? I am totally on board with the FATE system. Granted, my only experience with it is trying (and failing) to set up a Dresden Files RPG game for my friends, but in theory, at least, it sounds like pretty much my ideal game system.

That said, adapting the Fallout games to PnP sounds like an interesting challenge with a lot of potential, too.
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:41 am

I would like to do he FATE system too.
anaphysik

Postby anaphysik » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:26 am

Jace911 wrote:Edit: Also, when we talk about mutant gatormen are we referring to this:

Or are they further down the human-scale of things, a la the Lizard from the most recent Spiderman movie?
I was assuming bipedal gators, basically. Like these, I guess: http://targetpaint.blogspot.com/2011/01 ... tever.html http://mikeypetrov.deviantart.com/art/T ... -272548027

Although admittedly my first thought was of the gatormen from Samurai Jack (in Jack and the Scotsman):

more:
http://imageshack.us/a/img826/8569/wptm.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img809/4185/t24r.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img24/7676/cz5f.png

Also, I should note that those are technically GATORMAN ROBOTS!
bucaneer

Postby bucaneer » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:50 am

Lachlan the Mad wrote:The sex ratio at hatching is 50/50 (it will always be 50/50 in any species which has paired sex chromosomes)

A slight problem here - sex determination of alligators (as well as crocodiles and turtles) is not based on chromosomes but on temperature of the nest during incubation of eggs. This tends to produce unequal numbers of males and females (it's usually more females than males in nature - for alligators it's a 5:1 ratio as per the wiki article). For alligators, lower temperatures produce females and higher ones produce males. Perhaps the G.E.C.K. and/or the FEV caused a mutation that shifted the temperature threshold too low - a temperature low enough to produce females would most of the time also be too low for a gatorbaby to properly develop, hence the stillhatches. A complex incubation system - cooling the eggs early on during the sex-determining period and then warming them up until they hatch - would be able to solve the demographic problems, but perhaps the gatormen aren't bright enough to figure that out by themselves...
noahpocalypse

Postby noahpocalypse » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:15 pm

So are you aiming for a totally serious game, or mostly serious, or what? The factions sound mostly serious, but we've got several... interesting... characters here that aren't exactly über grimdark serious.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:36 pm

I've been spitballing ideas of how to run Fallout in FATE. Really though it seemed to me that you could get away with just replacing the FATE skill list with the Fallout skill list from your game of choice. FATE doesn't really support stats so I didn't see an easy way to add in the SPECIAL system. Perks could become Stunts. I don't really see the need for a Karma system since... the GM can just react to what you're doing.

Also, yeah, alligator gender is determined by incubation temperature. I didn't know about their lopsided gender ratios, although the Voodoo Gator Matriarchy sounds interesting.
Jace911

Postby Jace911 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:28 pm

bucaneer wrote:
Lachlan the Mad wrote:The sex ratio at hatching is 50/50 (it will always be 50/50 in any species which has paired sex chromosomes)

A slight problem here - sex determination of alligators (as well as crocodiles and turtles) is not based on chromosomes but on temperature of the nest during incubation of eggs. This tends to produce unequal numbers of males and females (it's usually more females than males in nature - for alligators it's a 5:1 ratio as per the wiki article). For alligators, lower temperatures produce females and higher ones produce males. Perhaps the G.E.C.K. and/or the FEV caused a mutation that shifted the temperature threshold too low - a temperature low enough to produce females would most of the time also be too low for a gatorbaby to properly develop, hence the stillhatches. A complex incubation system - cooling the eggs early on during the sex-determining period and then warming them up until they hatch - would be able to solve the demographic problems, but perhaps the gatormen aren't bright enough to figure that out by themselves...

Of course the easy answer to this is "it's FEV, I ain't gotta explain shit".
Lachlan the Sane

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:19 am

Regarding Gatormen: I was toying with using this (from the Fallout Wiki):

But that's a little bit too human. This guy should hit about the right balance:

And I like Bucaneer's explanation -- they can't get the eggs cold enough.

Regarding seriousness: Probably less serious than Fallout 3, but more serious than New Vegas. There are a few explicitly jokey factions -- the mediaevalists in particular (+100 interwebs to anyone who realises what I'm stealing that from) -- but the final mysteries are pretty gorram serious.

Regarding the FATE system: You can get the core of that for free, right? Can someone tell me where to read it? Honestly, the Fallout system translates to tabletop pretty well, since everything works on 1-10 and 1-100 scales. I don't intend to to in-depth simulation of combat, so the particulars of the system won't matter a huge amount.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:39 am

Lachlan, the full Fatecore pdf, Fatecore character sheets, and other things can be found here.
Jace911

Postby Jace911 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:57 am

Have you ever played Spirit of the Century? It's a very simple and flexible system that you can use for literally any setting you want. All you have to do is sit down and come up with a skill list (And maybe some example Stunts to give your players ideas) and bam, conversion over.
Grudgeal

Postby Grudgeal » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:04 pm

Some other ideas include GURPS (because there's always GURPS) or possibly some modified version of Deadlands. I'd be on board with FATE, though the rerolling will be a pain if we PbP it unless you PM every time someone wants to reroll.
Jace911

Postby Jace911 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:10 pm

Grudgeal wrote:Some other ideas include GURPS (because there's always GURPS) or possibly some modified version of Deadlands. I'd be on board with FATE, though the rerolling will be a pain if we PbP it unless you PM every time someone wants to reroll.

If we use FATE there's always this handy online roller. It emails the results to the GM so they can confirm it.
krellen

Postby krellen » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:54 pm

I'm just going to say, Lachlan, that this is the level I expect from the opening to a Fallout Play-by-Post. I'll be disappointed by less!

(This is also acceptable.)
Skitzophrenik

Postby Skitzophrenik » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:08 am

krellen wrote:I'm just going to say, Lachlan, that this is the level I expect from the opening to a Fallout Play-by-Post. I'll be disappointed by less!

(This is also acceptable.)

Krellen pulled me through the damn link. I love me some damn Fallout. And I just lived four or six months with a Louisianan rugby player past year. Good people, but a total cartoon of a man.

Cat Daddy Martin

Matty "Cat Daddy" Martin is a gator man. Not one of those upright-walkin gators from Florida, but part of a long line of fanboat drivin' moonshine drinkin bayou folk who rode out the apocalypse by virtue of already living off the swamps. When you don't have anything to lose you can survive better than those who did.

The swamp people managed to keep their boats running by skimming oil from the shoreline, and have always had stockpiles of small arms and fiercely independent nature on their side. The pressure of the mutant gatormen from Florida have driven some clans up towards New Orleans. Cat Daddy is checking out the lay of the land and will head back home at some point to tell his people what's going on. Maybe with help to kill some gators, maybe not.

Tag skills would probably be Survival, Explosives and Repair.
Lachlan the Sane

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:21 am

@Skitzophrenik: I'm very tempted to upgrade your character concept to a "tribe" now (which I already did with Kavonde's medical tribe) -- some kind of oil-raiding hilbilly bandits who are a thorn in the BoS's side. Is that okay?

Regarding what direction I'd like this to go in; I'm not sure that I would actually want to DM this game on these forums, sorry. I'm really into developing this setting, but I'm also booked up to run the next Paranoia campaign. To that end, I'd really love it if somebody volunteers to co-DM this one. If you want to do so, I'll start by sending you a spiel on the secret motivations of every major faction and the (hopeful) ultimate direction of the main plot. We can brainstorm the plot, you can poke holes in my logic and come up with new ideas, and hopefully between the two of us we'll figure out how best to run the game.

So here are my thoughts on the basics of the character/gameplay system. This is based loosely on Jace911's homebrewed system that he sent me (woo thanks man!).

S.P.E.C.I.A.L. Stats

Every character gets 40 Character Points (CP) to divide between the 7 SPECIAL stats; Strength, Perception, Endurance, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility, and Luck. Every SPECIAL stat has a range from 1-10, and it can never leave this range for gameplay purposes (no matter how many bonuses or penalties you stack). However, all of your bonuses and penalties will be tracked for determining the final score.

e.g. Pete has a base AG score of 9. He equips a hat which gives him AG+2. This takes his effective AG up to 10, because it can't exceed 10. However, if Pete later takes a -1 penalty to AG, his AG is still 10, because 9+2-1=10.

A "stat check" is a dice roll to determine how well you do with a raw stat (i.e. you're just using the stat, not modified by a skill). For example, gambling might require a Luck check, while resisting addiction requires an Endurance check. Stat checks are rolled on a d10, and you must roll lower than your stat to succeed (rolling equal to your stat is a failure). This means that if you try to make a stat check against a stat of 1, you will automatically fail. The good news is that stat checks are fairly rare; you'll mostly be making skill checks.

Derived Stats

Derived stats are additional statistics which are figured out from your base stats. They determine some pretty important things.

• Critical Failure Score: How likely you are to score a critical failure on a skill check. This starts out equal to 90+LU.
  • Critical Success Score: How likely you are to score a critical success on a skill check. This starts out equal to LU+1.
  • Damage Resistance: How good you are at taking a hit. This starts at 0. When you take damage, the damage roll is reduced by your DR. Wearing heavy armour adds to your DR.
  • Evasion: How good you are at not getting hit. This starts out equal to your AG value. Wearing light armour or taking cover raises your Evasion score. When someone tries to hit you in combat, they add your evasion to their d100 roll. Characters who have been surprised (or are particularly foolhardy) may have negative evasion.
  • Hit Points: How many hits you can take before you go down. This starts out at 5xEN. Every time you level up, you gain your EN in hit points.
  • Initiative: How fast you act in combat. This starts out at (AG+PE). In combat, everyone moves in their initiative order (highest initiative goes first, next-highest initiative goes second etc.). If two characters have the same initiative, at the beginning of the combat, they roll off to see who goes first; this result runs for the whole combat.
  • Perk Rate: How many levels you must gain before getting a new perk. This starts out at 3, meaning you gain your first perk at level 3, your second at level 6 etc.
  • Radiation Resistance: How good you are at not dying when irradiated. I'm not sure how radiation should work at all.
  • Skill Rate: How many skill points you gain per level. This starts out as INT+10.

Regarding evasion and damage resistance; I'm attempting to fix one of my biggest problems with most RPG systems (D&D being the biggest offender) where they conflate how good you are at avoiding attacks with how good you are at taking attacks. In my opinion, your ability to dodge should be a completely different stat to your ability to take a hit; for a great example, see the "DEF/ARM" system in Iron Kingdoms/Warmachine/Hordes. This is kinda-sorta represented in the old Fallouts with "AC/DT", but AC will make people think of D&D, so I'm using "Evasion" instead (which is what it was called in J. E. Sawyer's RPG). As things stand, light armour will add to your EV, heavy armour will add to your DR, and medium armour will add to both.

Skills

Skills represent the meat and drink of your day-to-day interactions with the wasteland. Skills have a range of between 1 and 100. At first level, your skills are all equal to ([base stat x 2] + [LU/2]). You also choose three skills to "tag"; tagging a skill gives you a +15 bonus to that skill, and also gives you bonus starting equipment (e.g. tag Small Guns and start the game with a 9mm pistol; tag Examine and start the game with a magnifying glass, etc. etc.). When you level up, you get new skill points to distribute as you see fit.

• Athletics (AG): Jumping, climbing, swimming, or swinging on a trapeze.
  • Deception (CH): What they don't know can't hurt them. Use this skill to convince someone of something by obscuring the truth.
  • Examine (PE): Looking at something really, really closely.
  • Explosives (PE): How accurate you are with weapons that go boom. Does not include weapons which fire an explosive projectile (e.g. rocket launchers), although I'm sure that if you're clever you'll figure out a way to throw those projectiles at people instead.
  • Handguns (AG): Your accuracy with any gun that you can hold in one hand, be it a 9mm pistol or an AEP7 laser.
  • Heavy Guns (EN): Sometimes, you need more gun. This is your accuracy with any gun which shouldn't by rights fit in two hands; shoulder-mounted weapons, weapons with a backpack attached, and so forth.
  • Heavy Melee (ST): When in doubt, get a bigger stick. This is any melee weapon which takes two hands to wield.
  • Intimidate (ST): Talking is hard, but being scary is easy. Use this skill to terrify people into giving you what you want.
  • Light Melee (AG): For those who would bring knives to a gunfight. This is your accuracy with any one-handed melee weapon.
  • Lockpick (PE): Possessions are fleeting -- more so if you have bobby pins to spare. Use this skill to bust open a lock or two.
  • Medicine (IN): Sure, shoving a stimpack in their leg fixes most injuries, but you need to know what part of the leg to shove it into. This skill governs how good you are at fixing people up.
  • Persuasion (CH): The truth will set you free! Use this skill to convince people without lying per se.
  • Repair (IN): There's a lot of broken stuff in the world, and this skill will let you patch it up.
  • Rifles (PE): Guns of average size. This is any gun which takes two hands to hold, but isn't unduly heavy.
  • Science (IN): Hack your way into computers, figure out weird technology, and understand technobabble.
  • Sneak (AG): Keep to the shadows. This skill lets you get past people and steal their stuff without them noticing.
  • Survival (EN): Keep yourself alive in the wilds. This skill is used for stringing things together out of natural components and finding food and water in the wilderness.
  • Unarmed (EN): For those who know kung fu. This is how accurate you are when fighting with your fists.

A "skill check" is a dice roll made to determine whether or not you succeed with any given skill. A skill check is rolled on a d100. You earn a regular success if, after applying modifiers, your result is lower than either your skill or your Critical Success Score. If you roll lower than both of these numbers before applying modifiers, you have earned a critical success. A critical success ignores all modifiers and gives you an automatic success on the task at hand. In addition, the GM is encouraged to think of special additional bonuses which can be applied to the task; for example, a critical success on a Deception check might lead someone to see you as incredibly trustworthy, and they'll go along with everything you say. In combat, a critical hit deals the maximum amount of damage possible for that attack (i.e. treat it as though you'd rolled the maximum number on every die).

If you roll higher than or equal to either your skill or your Critical Failure Score, you have failed at the task. If you roll higher than or equal to both of these scores, you have critically failed. The GM is encouraged to think of special additional penalties which can be applied to a critical failure; for example, a critical failure when firing a gun may cause it to jam, or might cause the player to fumble and drop the gun.

Traits

Traits are special abilities that you can take at character creation only. Every character gains racial traits, and also gets to choose up to 2 general traits. (You're allowed to choose general traits that aren't on this list of you think of them, so long as they're reasonably fair).

• Addictive Personality: The effects of addictive substances last twice as long for you, but when they wear off you have to make twice as many addiction resistance rolls.
  • Carnivore: When you eat meat, any bonuses you get (health, stat gain, etc.) are doubled in magnitude (not duration), while penalties (radiation, stat loss, etc.) are halved. However, when you eat food which is plant-based, the opposite is true; bonuses are halved, penalties are doubled. Heavily processed food, food which isn't meat- or vegetable-based, or food with both a meat and a vegetable component has its normal effects. To avoid doubt, ask the GM about any food you're not certain of.
  • Dangerously Curious: You gain a +5 bonus to your critical success score, and a -5 penalty to your critical failure score.
  • Demoman (Requires Explosives as a tagged skill): You can dual-wield one-handed Explosive weapons (grenades, dynamite etc.). However, your dual-wielding penalty is always +10.
  • Glowing One (Ghouls only): You've absorbed so much radiation that you glow in the dark. You emit dim light at all times. You emit a low level of radiation, and your unarmed attacks do minor radiation damage. You can't get bonuses for sneaking if you hide in shadows.
  • Hoverbot (Robots only): You can hover up to 1 metre above the ground. You are never slowed by difficult terrain, and don't take any damage from dangerous terrain or from falling. You can't climb vertical surfaces (like ladders) unless you get some kind of boost. You aren't humanoid in shape and therefore can't wear normal armour. This trait could also be applied to wheeled robots if you so desire.
  • I Get No Kick: When rolling to resist addiction, you can roll twice and take the better result. However, the effects of addictive substances only last half as long for you.
  • Kamikaze: You get a +5 bonus to Initiative, but a -5 penalty to Evasion.
  • Large Frame (Requires ST or EN > 8): You can carry Rifles and Heavy Melee weapons in one hand, and dual-wield with your free hand (this doesn't affect which weapons are available to dual-wield with). You deal d8 base damage with Unarmed attacks. Your base Evasion is halved, and you can't wear armour which isn't crafted for your frame without modifying it.
  • Perky: Your perk rate is increased by 1, but you gain 5 fewer skill points per level.
  • Skilled: You gain 5 extra skill points per level, but your perk rate is reduced by 1.
  • Tight Nuts (Robots only, EN>5): You're built to weather damage. You can add your EN to your DR, but any repairs only restore half as many hit points.

Races

The only difference between races is that they all give you bonus traits. These don't count towards your trait limit, and you don't have to meet any prerequisites to get them. However, the GM has the right to veto characters with ridiculous stats (e.g. a Super Mutant with ST 1, EN 1).

Humans

• Dangerously Curious: Humans always have the Dangerously Curious trait.

Ghouls

• Rad-Powered: Ghouls do not suffer from radiation poisoning, and heal damage when exposed to radiation. If they reach a sufficiently high radiation level, they become Feral. They heal only half as much health from any other source.

I probably need something else for Ghouls...

Super Mutants

• Healthy: Super Mutants begin the game with 6 x EN HP and gain 1.5 x EN HP per level.
  • Large Frame: Super Mutants always have the Large Frame trait.
  • Radiation Resistant: Super Mutants can absorb twice as many rads as humans before suffering the effects of radiation poisoning.

Gatormen

• Carnivore: Gatormen always have the Carnivore trait.
  • Large Frame: Gatormen always have the Large Frame trait.
  • Man-Eater: Gatormen begin the game with the Cannibalism perk, ignoring the prerequisites. In addition, because Gatormen are basically expected to eat people, they won't lose Karma when cannibalising, and anyone who witnesses the act won't become hostile unless they knew the victim.
  • Thick Skin: Gatormen add their EN to their DR.

Robot

• Mechanical: Robots are robotic! They cannot be healed and are not affected by radiation. They cannot consume food, drink, or chems. They gain +5 to DR against bullets, slashing, and flame weapons, but are vulnerable to EMP damage. They can be repaired using spare parts and Repair checks.
  • Moddable: Robots are assumed to be basically humanoid at character creation -- they have two manipulator appendages and two locomotory limbs. However, given the right parts and a smart mechanic, they can get some... interesting capabilities. Simple examples of modifications you could carry out include attaching a gun to your hand or bolting armour to yourself, which would require relatively simple Repair checks, but the only limits are your parts, your access to people with high Repair and Science, and your imagination. We can't cover all of the possibilities for robot-modding here, so collborate with your GM if you need ideas.
  • Purpose-Built: Robots are designed with particular capabilities in mind, which may limit their capacity for other work. A robot has only two Tagged skills at character creation, and only gets a +10 bonus to Tagged skills. Robots may Tag up to three additional skills if they designate another skill as Barred. A Barred skill begins with a value of 0, and cannot have any points invested in it. Any attempt to use a Barred skill will automatically fail. If a robot is Modded to remove a Barred skill, that Barred skill is set to 1, and the robot can gain points in it normally from there on.

Perks

You get perks at certain level-ups, equal to your Perk Rate. The easiest way I can see of running this is to PM people a list of available perks when they reach the appropriate level.

Combat

When it comes to blows, I'm not going to run a detailed combat simulation -- I'm just going to ask you for your combat tactics and run the combats myself. To some extent I feel safe in assuming certain things about combat -- a character with a sniper rifle and high Rifles skill is probably going to head for high ground, hunker down, and blow the heads off things. This is a pretty basic guide.

In combat, you get one Standard action, one Movement action, and one Swift action per turn. You can take them in any order.

Standard actions

• Make an attack
  • Use a concentration-intensive skill
  • Take a Move or Swift action

Move actions

• Move normally
  • Fall back a short distance out of combat (to avoid taking an attack of opportunity)
  • Reload a manual-loading gun
  • Stand still and Aim, increasing your accuracy with ranged weapons
  • Stand still and Guard, increasing your defence against melee attacks
  • Take a Swift action

Swift action

• Reload a cartridge-loading gun
  • Draw or stow a weapon

Attacks are made in two stages; a roll to hit (d100 + target's Evasion + other modifiers, aiming to roll under your skill), and a roll to damage (damage dice - target's DR = damage to target's HP). Weapon damage is expressed as a dice type. When the skill is at 1-19, you roll one die of that type; when it reaches 20, you roll 2 dice; when it reaches 30, you roll 3, and so on. Some weapons might have 2 of a particular dice as their dice type, in which case you roll 4 dice at skill 20, 6 dice at skill 30 etc. Melee damage rolls add the attacker's ST.

Characters have, by default, one attack per round. A character can make any number of Additional Attacks if they have rules which allow it, but every Additional Attack you make carries a cumulative +5 penalty. Some weapons automatically make Additional Attacks (e.g. automatics, shotguns, chainsaws).

A character wielding a one-handed, non-Explosives weapon can Dual-Wield a Pistol or Light Melee weapon in their other hand. A dual-wielding character takes a +5 penalty to attack rolls with either weapon (the dual-wield penalty); however, they can make an Additional Attack with the second weapon (in D&D terms, dual-wielding attacks are made at +5/+10).

A character wielding any one-handed weapon who leaves their other hand free can make an additional Unarmed attack with their free hand. The character takes the Additional Attack penalty, but not the Dual-Wielding penalty.

A character wielding a one-handed, non-Explosive weapon can hold an Explosive in their other hand, but this is not considered dual-wielding, as explosive weapons require some concentration to throw; the character simply chooses to either throw the explosive or use their other weapon.

Addiction

For the Cuftbert fans in the house...

When the effects of an addictive substance wear off, make one Addiction Resistance roll (an EN check) for every dose of the substance you took. For every EN check you fail, you gain one Addiction Point. While you have Addiction Points, you will suffer the withdrawal symptoms for that substance unless you consume doses of the substance equal to your Addiction Points. You will not gain any other effects from the substance unless you consume more than your Addiction Points, but if you do that you'll need to make new Addiction Resistance rolls.

If you tough out the withdrawal symptoms (by going without the substance for the same amount of time as one dose would last), you can make another Addiction Resistance roll. If you succeed in this roll, remove one Addiction Point. If your Addiction Points are at 0, you are no longer addicted

(For example, if you drink two bottles of whiskey, which lasts for let's say 8 hours, and fail both Addiction Resistance rolls, you will be addicted to whiskey with two Addiction Points, and immediately begin suffering withdrawal. If you consume two more bottles of whiskey, you will no longer suffer from withdrawal, but you won't gain the positive effects from the whiskey either. If you make 8 hours without drinking any whiskey, then you can make another Addiction Resistance roll to reduce your Addiction Points to 1).
Skitzophrenik

Postby Skitzophrenik » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:36 pm

Go right ahead. I was just basing my idea on watching a lot of Swamp People and on a Louisianan roommate I had for six months (he wasn't a swamp person. He was from where they film Duck Dynasty at the north part of the state.)
noahpocalypse

Postby noahpocalypse » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:50 pm

Might be a little early for this, but I've drafted stats.

Grey Techno
S: 4
P: 7
E: 5
C: 3
I: 10
A: 7
L: 4
Tag skills: Science, Medicine, Handguns
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:09 pm

Mr. Butler, robot servant

Str: 6
Per: 7
End: 7
Cha: 8
Int: 7
Agi: 5
Lck: 5

Traits: Mechanical, Moddable, Purpose-Built, People Person (see below)

People Person (proposed trait): +5 to Persuasion checks to influence sentient, organic life, but -5 when interacting with robots and nonsentient beings.

Tagged Skills: Intimidate, Persuasion, Rifles, Sneak, Science
Barred Skill: Deception

Mr. Butler was designed as both a domestic servant and, should the need arise, a capable home security enforcer. By day, he serves tea and biscuits with the polite gentility of a traditional British manservant; by night, he stalks the halls of his employer's home, shotgun in hand, just waiting for some pathetic miscreant to try and rob the place.

Mr. Butler was only recently unearthed by the Mediaevalists and restored to working condition. He was purchased by a leading figure of the Dorians, but an unfortunate misunderstanding in the dead of night in which copious amounts of buckshot were involved led to the termination of the robot's employment. He currently seeks a new employer to pledge his eternal, ever-watchful loyalty to.
Grudgeal

Postby Grudgeal » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:13 pm

One thing you could do if you are running SPECIAL stats is to change max and min scores depending on race. For example in the 'official' Fallout PnP system, ghouls have EN and LK bonuses but take penalties to ST and AG (they're tough and lucky but weak and slow) and mutants have ST and EN bonuses but lower CH and AG and perk rate. Just a thought if you want to make ghouls more special than 'resistant to radiation'.

Return to “Play-by-Post”