If we ran a Fallout RPG, what would you play as?

Text-based gaming!
Lachlan the Mad
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

If we ran a Fallout RPG, what would you play as?

Postby Lachlan the Mad » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:14 am

I've been playing a fair bit of various Fallouts lately and thinking about possible settings for a Fallout story. I have some fairly good ideas for motivations, mysteries, and factions old and new for a setting, and I'm fairly tempted to run a party of post-nuclear Americans through a campaign there. I'm sure that there have been attempts to translate Fallout to the tabletop, but as I haven't read any of them yet I don't know how well they would work as play-by-post, so this is a very very VERY early, very very VERY speculative thread. I'm just curious to know about the kind of characters people would be interested in playing as. Think of this as being kind of like our extension of the discussions the SW crew had when Josh was getting stuck on tombs.

(Special note; my rough idea for a setting would allow PCs to be a non-human race, so if you're interested in playing as a ghoul or super mutant or robot or alligator man, go for it. However, too many non-human PCs probably wouldn't make much sense, so use caution).
Akri

Re: If we ran a Fallout RPG, what would you play as?

Postby Akri » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:46 am

Ooh, I like this idea. I've had very limited exposure to the Fallout 'verse (though I do have a copy of the original game that I've yet to fire up...I should do that...) but I like what I've seen of it. Not sure what I would want to play as, though.
RedSun

Postby RedSun » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:20 am

Jazz musician. I've always liked the idea of combining the old "wandering minstrel" archetype with more bleak or mournful settings(especially post-apocalyptic!), and given that we've really only seen the very white, nuclear family bits of the Falloutverse, it'd be nice to play a character running around, trying to keep the spirit of that Old World Bebop alive.

Also, I would never make him an alligator man. CROCODILES FTW.
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:51 am

Welcome to Jacob's Traveling Sales Cart, where I provide you with only the finest scavenged materials in the wastes. I also do minor repairs for a small fee, and can handle the odd retrieval job now and again. And if you have the right interesting item, we can take care of a few other problems you have running around. We don't discriminate here at the T.S.C!
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:15 am

I joined a forum Fallout game once as an overly slick luckless businessman. The guy had found some pre-war business books and half understood them and started trading. He had a belief that supply created demand because when he had supply raiders demanded it. He hated people missing shots because bullets are basically money(Nod to how I treated weightless ammo and Metro). He went around in as good a business suit as he could and a gas mask to "keep the fumes from addling his brain," not realizing you had to change the filters on gas masks. He was a pretty silly character and fell somewhere between how Fallout 2 and New Vegas were when they were being silly. I might play that guy again.

EDIT: It might be fun to to do as a sniper/survivalist/big game hunter type. Very survival-oriented, big rifle, big pistol, big knife, not good around people. Just not good around people. Which is why he's usually out in the rough country.
Last edited by SpammyV on Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lachlan the Mad

Postby Lachlan the Mad » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:46 am

Traiden wrote:Welcome to Jacob's Traveling Sales Cart, where I provide you with only the finest scavenged materials in the wastes. I also do minor repairs for a small fee, and can handle the odd retrieval job now and again. And if you have the right interesting item, we can take care of a few other problems you have running around. We don't discriminate here at the T.S.C!

A travelling sales caravan seems to be the way to go with any party-based Fallout game. It's by far the easiest context you could get a party of adventurers who weren't tied to a single faction.

RedSun wrote:Jazz musician. I've always liked the idea of combining the old "wandering minstrel" archetype with more bleak or mournful settings(especially post-apocalyptic!), and given that we've really only seen the very white, nuclear family bits of the Falloutverse, it'd be nice to play a character running around, trying to keep the spirit of that Old World Bebop alive.

Jazz man? You are priority number one to join my party if I run my game on these forums.

(Because it's set in New Orleans and the bayou that's why)

That reminds me, I'll need to create some jazz-themed guys to live in New Orleans itself. Thus far it's a gang war between the rice farmers and the people who want to get into the flooded pre-war houses that the rice paddies are built on. Maybe there's an upper city which is less flooded, and that's where the jazzmen live...
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:13 am

Not so much a trade caravan, more like a trade wheelbarrow... But for real, I would love to play a Rag-time Fallout game.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:22 pm

A man woke up one day in an ally with nothing but a trench coat, a fedora, a splitting headache, and a half burned, decaying detective novel. As the dawn's rays turned the good book to ash, so must a new detective rise to take the place of the old. Thus Henry Law, the last great private detective, was born!

Driven by the restless spirits of all private detectives past, he must solve the greatest mysteries of worlds old and new. Who dropped the first bomb, and are they or their descendants still alive to be brought to JUSTICE? How does the Capitol Wasteland support such large tertiary predators such as the Deathclaw without any vegetation or viable ecosystem? Are ghouls immortal gods of the old world or just radiation burn victims? Are aliens real? The voices in my head demand answers! Only a regular diet of alcohol and cigarettes satiates their endless hunger! The Old Ones demand answers this pitiful mind can't comprehend! Make it stop makeitstopmakeitstop...

*glug*

Ahem...Yes, Henry Law, private detective, walking the wastes in search of mystery and hair of the dog that bit him.

(OOC description: A chain smoking, alcohol besotted ghoul in denial of what he sees as the loss of his humanity, searching for mysteries to resolve in order to distract himself from the truth about his past, occasionally manifesting itself in bizarre psychosis. Can be played comically, tragically, extremely dark, or any combination of the three depending on the tone of the setting.)
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:39 pm

Hmm.

How about a tribal doctor? Like, actually trailed mostly properly in the medical profession. His tribe happened to base themselves near an old medical school, and came to see Grey's Anatomy as a holy book. Even the lowliest hunter had a working knowledge of field surgery. Unfortunately, the tribe was based in eastern Colorado, which put it right in the path of Caesar's Legion. Those who survived the meeting were taken as slave-medics to serve the Legionnaires, aside from a handful who managed to escape into the wilderness.

Not sure what the character's name would be yet; most likely some sort of medical-pun-meets-stereotypical-Native-American-naming-convention thing. He'd obviously be good at Doctoring, and would have some training with Melee and Throwing.

All that said, I'm really just kind of sad I didn't think of "post-apocalyptic jazz minstrel" or "radioactively-undead private dick" first.
anaphysik

Postby anaphysik » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:16 am

Man, you guys are weird. I'd have just made an alligator man who's a tribal detective that peddles jazz music as a cure-all.

Actually, the hyper-competent sidekick is a neat role.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:05 am

Everyone is finding pre-war books and declaring themselves experts in this thread.
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:13 am

That's pretty much the Fallout universe for you. Somehow, no one has made any new discoveries or inventions in over two hundred years. No one has developed new weapons, new philosophies, or new cultures. Hell, people haven't even bothered to sweep the centuries-old debris out of their homes. Pre-war knowledge is the only knowledge there is, because the rest of the wasteland knows nothing but ludicrous, absurd levels of apathy.
krellen

Postby krellen » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:44 am

That's not true at all, though Fallout 3 (and, to a lesser extent, New Vegas) would certainly not do much to dissuade one of that opinion.

Plasma weaponry is a post-war invention, for example.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:18 pm

krellen wrote:That's not true at all, though Fallout 3 (and, to a lesser extent, New Vegas) would certainly not do much to dissuade one of that opinion.

Plasma weaponry is a post-war invention, for example.

In the original fallout *drink*

Anyhow,Id be playing tabitha.

Though,that wouldnt work well with a group,I guess.Well then Id be playing a robot.
Grudgeal

Postby Grudgeal » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:21 pm

My last experience with playing Fallout PnP saw me playing Andrew "OhMyGodWhyWontYouDIE" Jackson, a caravan guard who had wandered into the Fallout-verse from the east, someplace. Everyone thought he must have been a super mutant in disguise because of his inhuman size and toughness (EN 10) , balanced out by him having extraordinary bad luck (LK 3) that justified having to be tough as nails. He also suffered from mild giantism and thus, by extention, alcoholism. Though as he used to say, when you carry an M2, aiming's optional anyway.

Uncharacteristically he was also a natural at repairing things and carried his prized possession, an old jury-rigged M2, with him everywhere. He was also supposed to be a very, very, very distant descendant of "Stonewall" Jackson and was supposed to be able to cite his direct descent from old Stonewall by memory when prompted... And sometimes not when prompted.

The game never got far because the guy playing the medic was a griefer and decided to play as a Glowing One (a radioactive ghoul, hurting non-ghoul party members through constant emissions), irradiating the remaining party and insulting everybody we met by being intentionally obnoxious and disturbing. After the rest of us showed him down an elevator shaft (well, ok, I shoved him down the elevator shaft and everyone else shrugged and moved on) the esprit the corps sort of fell apart shortly after.

EDIT: Oh, right, what I'd like to play as. Sorry. Um, going beyond just being the muscled meat-head, it would probably be interesting to play as some kind of 50ies mad scientist, rearisen from the ashes of the post-nuclear war to reinvent the power of SCIENCE! for the resurrection of the world. Like, someone whose only experience with science was from 50ies B-film science fiction. Possibly an insane pre-war scientist ghoul, or possibly a tribal (or even better, a super-mutant) who'd been exposed to said 50ies science fiction, gotten enamoured with the concept of creating giant monsters and lasers and jumped at the field with great enthusiasm, yet somehow having the natural skill or knack for getting some of it to work anyway.
Jace911

Postby Jace911 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:12 pm

If I ever played a Fallout PnP game I'd like to try my idea for an amnesic Super Mutant who lost his memories in the explosion at Mariposa, wandered the wastes, had several bewildered reactions to peoples' reactions to him before earning the trust of a speck-on-a-map town by fighting off a raider attack. Not the dumb, can't-talk-properly Fallout 3 type of Super Mutant mind you, just an ordinary guy who woke up with no memory of how he became the Incredible Hulk and why everyone screams when he walks into town.
noahpocalypse

Postby noahpocalypse » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:17 pm

I'd be a kind, young, intelligent, idealistic doctor. Sort of like Arcade Gannon in New Vegas: educated with pre-war books and holobooks, and trying to achieve as much net good as possible. He found an old Handbook of the Hospital Corps, (1953), and has been playing doctor ever since. I don't have a specific origin in mind, so whatever works for your story would work for me. Realistically, a vault dweller (or a descendant of one) would be more likely to have access to pre-war writings, print or digital. Or maybe he somehow gained access to a pre-war vault established in case of nuclear war, but not filled with people: filled with books, digital and print. There's probably some kind of solar Kindle developed in this universe.

TAG skills: medicine, science, and repair. Inventory space is always filled up with as many textbooks and digital books as he can get his hands on: think electronics, radio, medicine, physics, chemistry, biology, etc. He studies them nightly. He also plays the harmonica. Preferred weapon: a .22 rifle, because the bullets and gun are light, ammo is probably relatively plentiful, and the bullets have enough power to enter but not exit the skull, so the ricochet inside the skull ensures death. Plus, shotgun shells leave quite a mess; they're a pain to clean up.
Lachlan the Mad

Postby Lachlan the Mad » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:55 pm

Okay, because I'm meant to be working on my law assignment, you guys get a post about the history and the major factions of the Blue Bayou instead, because I'm prone to self-destructive distraction! Won't that be fun? (Answer; maybe!)

Blue Bayou is set in about the year 2220. For the record, this is sixty years after Fallout and twenty years before Fallout 2. I wanted some veterans from the war with the Master to be still alive, and I wanted it to be after Brotherhood of Steel.

The Bayou didn't take too many hits from atomic bombs, but the hits it did take counted badly. Thanks to Air Force intervention, one of the heaviest-yield atomic bombs of the war (believed to be aimed at Cape Canaveral) was diverted off-course and crashed inside the Gulf of Mexico, detonating underwater. The resulting tsunami changed the geography of the bayou significantly, and broke the aging levees holding the Mississippi back from New Orleans. Ironically enough, given how precious oil had become prior to the Great War, that bomb also smashed open several oil reservoirs which were thought long-depleted, and the crude oil drifted onto the Louisiana coast, clogging up the ocean lanes to this day. (What do you mean, I'm referencing recent news events?)

Like in New Vegas, the factions in Blue Bayou are pretty much divided squarely between "inside the city" and "outside the city". This isn't because of a major unifying power like Mr. House -- it's because a majority of factions both inside and outside realise the importance of keeping New Orleans happy. You see, the former city of New Orleans, now heavily flooded with reasonably pure water, consists mostly of rice paddies and water-brahmin farms, and is the chief source of food for most of southeastern America. Any fullscale battle over the city would lead to the destruction of these farms, so you'd effectively be starving yourself out of business. It's only the really delusional factions who are actually willing to attack the farms.

Factions from within the city
- The Jazzmen: The city's ruling merchant class, concerned primarily with hoarding whatever cash they can make out of the farms. They hold the farmers in a state of effective serfdom. I haven't got these guys fully developed yet, so I don't know all of their motivations.
- The Dorians: Chief rivals to the Jazzmen, the Dorians are all about hedonism, silly clothes, and constant wild parties. Again, not fully developed.
- The Mediaevalists: A group obsessed with old technology and the romanticisation of pre-war America. They are determined to access the houses underneath the farms of New Orleans, looking for the fabled technology within, and don't mind beating up the farmers to do it. Small but well-equipped.
- The Confederacy of Dunces: A loosely associated Luddite-minded street gang, consisting mostly of the children of farmers looking to defend their properties against interlopers. Chief rivals to the Mediaevalists. The Mediaevalists gave them their name as an insult, but as none of the Confederacy could understand it they wear the name with misguided pride. The Confederacy trades in slaves with groups from outside of the Gulf, but doesn't actually capture its own.

Out-of-city factions

- The Skullcrushers: Over in Florida, a corrupted G.E.C.K. led to the creation of vast mutant forests and swamplands. Things only got worse when a small dose of Forced Evolutionary Virus got into the population of mutated alligators (via a Super Mutant refugee from the Master's army), leading to the development of eight-foot-tall intelligent alligator people. Oh, and to make things even worse, the gatormen are fertile (although females are rare, and held as commodities by the most powerful males). The gatormen have been pushing westwards with territorial ambitions; they aren't particularly interested in any land which isn't warm and wet, but they're definitely curious about the Mississippi. The Skullcrushers are the traditionalist band of gatormen, who see humans as meat and have little to no interest in negotiation. They have occasionally been known to open negotiations with Ghouls and Super Mutants, who don't taste very good, but they don't have the patience to form a lasting relationship.
- The Disscussers: A smaller but cleverer band of gatormen, who are willing to negotiate with humans to further their own ambitions, although they still have little to no respect for humans and think "give me everything I want immediately" is the right attitude to take into diplomatic talks. They have a decent relationship with the Samedhi tribe, who share the gatormen's disdain for technology and belief in magic.
- Brotherhood of Steel, Gulf Division: The long-isolated Gulf division of the BoS has spent a long time fighting against the creatures created by the Florida G.E.C.K., and thus has a much greater emphasis on stealth and guerrilla combat than the rest of the Brotherhood. They don't trust energy weapons or explosives because of the risk of fire, and think that the heavy power armour worn by the rest of the Brotherhood is ridiculous; they use stealth suits and camouflage armour instead, and have developed fully submersible power armour for underwater operations. Their attitude towards non-pure humans, if anything, even more xenophobic than the average Brotherhood division.
- Brotherhood of Steel, Texas Division: After their success against the Super Mutant Attis, the Texas Brotherhood pushed east in an attempt to make contact with the Gulf brotherhood and re-establish fraternal ties. It hasn't gone well. The Gulf Brotherhood see the Texas Brotherhood as interlopers who are constantly poking their noses into their rightful business, and the Texas Brotherhood aren't happy about how much influence the Gulf Brotherhood demands on everything that the Texas Brotherhood does. A project to recover the oil from the surface of the ocean, which was supposed to be a major unifying project, has just made the Brotherhood divisions realise how much they hate each other.
- The Samedhis: A group of tribes unified by their belief in sorcery and disdain for technology. They have a surprisingly strong relationship with the Discussers.
- The Greys: A medically-inclined tribe who worship an ancient book of pre-war medicine. They may be tribals, but every adult member has a working knowledge of field surgery. They have been driven back by the Samedhis and now hold only a single village in the north-west of the Bayou.
- The Well-Regulated Militia: A very unusual group, consisting of a mixture of Ghouls, Super Mutants, and the odd human; based on an old Air Force base in the south-west of the Bayou. Its leader is the (apparent) human known as the Prodigy, a boy genius in any notable sense of that word, known for broadcasting harpsichord music across the Bayou by radio, and rumoured to be participating in highly unethical experiments. He encourages all people to come to his "city" for the development of the future of all mankind; this promise attracts a lot more mutants than it does humans. It is actually true, in a sense; living in the Prodigy's base is, by most accounts, a pretty decent life as far as the post-apocalyptic wasteland goes. The Brotherhood really doesn't trust the Prodigy, partially since he sits too close for comfort to their oil-harvesting projects, and partially because of his apparent respect for mutants of all shapes and sizes.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:09 pm

Lachlan the Mad wrote:Blue Bayou is set in about the year 2220. For the record, this is sixty years after Fallout and twenty years before Fallout 2. I wanted some veterans from the war with the Master to be still alive, and I wanted it to be after Brotherhood of Steel.

But....But that means this is all happening in BC (Before Cuftbert) years.
Akri

Postby Akri » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:16 pm

Lachlan the Mad wrote:- The Skullcrushers: Over in Florida, a corrupted G.E.C.K. led to the creation of vast mutant forests and swamplands. Things only got worse when a small dose of Forced Evolutionary Virus got into the population of mutated alligators (via a Super Mutant refugee from the Master's army), leading to the development of eight-foot-tall intelligent alligator people. Oh, and to make things even worse, the gatormen are fertile (although females are rare, and held as commodities by the most powerful males).

If a female were infertile, would she be free to wander off with a roving band of adventurers?

Also, fun fact: while alligator men obviously aren't real, bipedal crocodiles totally existed.
Jace911

Postby Jace911 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:17 pm

Things only got worse when a small dose of Forced Evolutionary Virus got into the population of mutated alligators (via a Super Mutant refugee from the Master's army), leading to the development of eight-foot-tall intelligent alligator people.

Oops. >___>
anaphysik

Postby anaphysik » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:51 pm

Of course, you do realize that if this is to be a party-based game, our characters would pretty much have to be a part of almost NONE of these factions :P

I mean, that's fine; I certainly wasn't planning for my gatorman to be an active part of gatorsociety.
RedSun

Postby RedSun » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:54 am

Question: What are we going to do about skills? Because right now, we've got nine people interested and in the original fallout, there were only 18 skills(and that's including throwing and gambling). If everybody here goes in, we're could get some serious overlap.
Lachlan the Mad

Postby Lachlan the Mad » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:16 am

RedSun wrote:Question: What are we going to do about skills? Because right now, we've got nine people interested and in the original fallout, there were only 18 skills(and that's including throwing and gambling). If everybody here goes in, we're could get some serious overlap.

Here's my draft skill list:

- Athletics (AG)
- Deception (CH)
- Examine (PE)
- Explosives (PE)
- Handguns (AG)
- Heavy Guns (EN)
- Heavy Melee (ST)
- Intimidate (ST)
- Light Melee (AG)
- Lockpick (PE)
- Medicine (IN)
- Persuasion (CH)
- Repair (IN)
- Rifles (PE)
- Science (IN)
- Sneak (AG)
- Survival (EN)
- Unarmed (EN)

Notes:

I'm allowing dual-wielding, because dual-wielding is awesome.

Energy weapons are not tracked separately to other weapons; an energy weapon will be either a handgun, a rifle, or a heavy gun.

Light melee refers to one-handed melee weapons, while Heavy Melee refers to two-handed melee weapons. Large characters (Super Mutants and Gatormen) can wield a Great Weapon one-handed, but can't dual-wield two great weapons.

Rifles refers to any two-handed ranged weapon which isn't heavy. If you can think of a better name for this, let me know.
Last edited by Lachlan the Mad on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:20 am

What about pugilism, is that under Light melee?

Return to “Play-by-Post”