If we ran a Fallout RPG, what would you play as?

Text-based gaming!
Traiden

Re: If we ran a Fallout RPG, what would you play as?

Postby Traiden » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:58 pm

What about Barter, I don't see that on the skill list and it would be something that I was basing my character concept off of.
Lachlan the Mad
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Mad » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:20 pm

Grudgeal wrote:One thing you could do if you are running SPECIAL stats is to change max and min scores depending on race. For example in the 'official' Fallout PnP system, ghouls have EN and LK bonuses but take penalties to ST and AG (they're tough and lucky but weak and slow) and mutants have ST and EN bonuses but lower CH and AG and perk rate. Just a thought if you want to make ghouls more special than 'resistant to radiation'.

I considered this, but went against it. Remember how someone had that idea where the difference between races should be that different races get bonuses to derived ideas (like damage, accuracy etc.) rather than raw stats? I was kinda-sorta going for that. What I'd like to do for Ghouls is make them faster and more manoeuvrable, but I can't think of an easy way to do that.

Traiden wrote:What about Barter, I don't see that on the skill list and it would be something that I was basing my character concept off of.

My position is basically "fuck Barter". If you want to haggle, you use Persuasion and/or Deception and/or Intimidate.
Skitzophrenik

Postby Skitzophrenik » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:15 am

Or just, ya know, roleplay it.

I considered answering your call for a co-GM. I've GMed plenty of play-by-post games over the last eleven years over at the Sluggy Freelance forums. But I looked at your system (and it is a very featured system) and I just have to say I'm glad I'm not the guy who is going to be running that math.

Over the years I basically decided to cut as much number crunching out of play-by-post as I could. In a computer-ran RPG all the number work is under the hood, and it's taken care of for you except for fiddling with the inputs and modifiers. And tabletop there is the drama of actually rolling the dice. But in a play-by-post I'd much rather be working on the quality of the prose itself. Obviously you have stats, but I like simplicity. I think the (fairly pared down) skill list in New Vegas was the best in that regard. But I'm lazy and don't want to track more than one melee combat stat.

More power to anyone who does, but I've seen too many play-by-posts peter out to run something like that.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:44 am

Henry Law, Completely Human(ghoul) private detective

Str: 1
Per: 10
End: 6
Cha: 1
Int: 7
Agi: 5
Lck: 10

Traits: Rad-Powered(and any other ghoul racial traits that turn up), I'm Not a Ghoul, Dammit!(see below), Dangerously Curious

I'm Not a Ghoul, Dammit! (proposed trait): Can transfer rad score by taking damage proportional to radiation transferred (like Rad-Powered in reverse)

Tagged Skills: Examine, Lockpick, Rifles

OOC: To make ghouls more maneuverable, maybe give them a trait where they can take an extra (move?) action by giving themselves an Additional Attack type penalty?
Jace911

Postby Jace911 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:01 am

Gideon - Super Mutant Nomad
STR: 9
PER: 5
END: 9
CHA: 3
INT: 6
AGI: 4
LCK: 4

Traits:
Large Frame (Requires ST or EN > 8): You can carry Rifles and Heavy Melee weapons in one hand, and dual-wield with your free hand (this doesn't affect which weapons are available to dual-wield with). You deal d8 base damage with Unarmed attacks. Your base Evasion is halved, and you can't wear armour which isn't crafted for your frame without modifying it.
(Proposed) Insane in my Mutant Brain (Optional Super Mutant Trait): The Forced Evolutionary Virus not only did a number on your DNA and rugged good looks, it also scrambled your grey matter quite a bit. Whenever an enemy scores a Critical Hit on you, you must roll an INT check to avoid flying into a berserk rage. While in a rage your DR and damage with melee weapons is increased (Amount up to GM) but you suffer a penalty to all attacks and may mistake nearby allies for enemies if you fail subsequent INT checks at the start of each round.

Tag Skills:
-Heavy Melee; Before the Master died Gideon became quite good at smashing raiders, traders, and wildlife with large heavy objects. After Mariposa was destroyed, that skill served him well during his sojourn through the wasteland.
-Survival; It wasn't easy living off the land when most of California was a blasted hellscape full of critters that wanted to eat him, but somehow Gideon managed to eek out a living off the scarce bounty of the desert.
-Repair; When he first stomped into the settlement of Crossroads just outside California, most folks took him for nothing more than a mindless brute. It wasn't until he parked himself in an old shack and began fixing up abandoned pieces of equipment that they realized he had some mechanical skill.
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:26 am

Ok, so I am working with open office to create a spreadsheet that functions as a character sheet. Doing to functions and figuring out how I want to handle taging a skill. I figure I should be able to add a checkbox and create an IF function to add 15 to the skill if it is checked yes or no. I also want to know if you want to round up or down with the luck stat, becuase I can do either should you want it.
Lachlan the Mad

Postby Lachlan the Mad » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:50 am

Skitzophrenik wrote:Or just, ya know, roleplay it.

I considered answering your call for a co-GM. I've GMed plenty of play-by-post games over the last eleven years over at the Sluggy Freelance forums. But I looked at your system (and it is a very featured system) and I just have to say I'm glad I'm not the guy who is going to be running that math.

Over the years I basically decided to cut as much number crunching out of play-by-post as I could. In a computer-ran RPG all the number work is under the hood, and it's taken care of for you except for fiddling with the inputs and modifiers. And tabletop there is the drama of actually rolling the dice. But in a play-by-post I'd much rather be working on the quality of the prose itself. Obviously you have stats, but I like simplicity. I think the (fairly pared down) skill list in New Vegas was the best in that regard. But I'm lazy and don't want to track more than one melee combat stat.

More power to anyone who does, but I've seen too many play-by-posts peter out to run something like that.

Well firstly, I'm not really running that much math. Fights will be based on "send me tactics and I'll roll it all myself and post a description of what happens", and I don't generally remember to do things like random encounters, so there shouldn't be that many fights. Maybe I'm biting off more than I can chew here, I do not know.

I can see that you've run several Fallout PbPs, so if you're not that interested in co-DM'ing, would you care to be my plot-planning sounding board? I'd like to come up with some new ideas about how to get the plot going in the direction I hope it will go. The ending of the story is a lot more finished than the beginning, to be honest. I'll send you a PM which contains the secrets behind every major faction and what they're planning, and you can check it for coherency, plot holes, etc. etc.
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:38 am

Ok, I have all the basic fourmla information filled out for the character sheet based off of what you are asking for character wise. I have not yet put any gear information or perks yet nor have I chosen a layout for easy reading. All I want is for you to do is double check my work and make sure the functions I have made work for your vision of how the stats should be modified. I will send it over PM and google drive once I get home from work.
Skitzophrenik

Postby Skitzophrenik » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:31 pm

I suppose I'd help. My biggest foible as a GM is that I never have ideas for the larger plot. I ran a 33 (10-50 fifteen-post pages) thread Rifts game where I never introduced a plot or villain that operated on a larger than a local level. Any game that I come up with will be unlikely to have anything resembling an overarching plot. Which I recognise as a vital component in an RPG.

I'm bad at plotting a game, but as long as there are players who post (and who don't have terrible writing quality) I'll run one for years. Unless I find the game system too much of a hassle to deal with.

But I'll absolutely read any PMs that show up in my in box and give feedback. And I'll write the fuck out of any character I play.
Lachlan the Mad

Postby Lachlan the Mad » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:38 pm

Skitzophrenik wrote:I suppose I'd help. My biggest foible as a GM is that I never have ideas for the larger plot. I ran a 33 (10-50 fifteen-post pages) thread Rifts game where I never introduced a plot or villain that operated on a larger than a local level. Any game that I come up with will be unlikely to have anything resembling an overarching plot. Which I recognise as a vital component in an RPG.

I'm bad at plotting a game, but as long as there are players who post (and who don't have terrible writing quality) I'll run one for years. Unless I find the game system too much of a hassle to deal with.

But I'll absolutely read any PMs that show up in my in box and give feedback. And I'll write the fuck out of any character I play.

Well, maybe this is exactly what I need. I'll start typing up my plot ideas :)

Return to “Play-by-Post”