RP hangout

Text-based gaming!
Anster

RP hangout

Post by Anster » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:35 pm

I have been thinking about it for a while now. So we have a healthy community, people who are into roleplaying and the forum's PbP adventures proved to be quite fun. I view it as a perfect recipe for gathering and doing something closer to a more traditional experience, with voice (video?) interactions

So for the past couple of weeks I have been asking around and found out that others would also be into that sort of thing if it matches with their schedule. Which is, to be fair, easier said then done, because we are quite a separated bunch of people. That is why I thought about making it as accessible as it can be. Since it will be the first "pilot" one so to speak, we are going to play some of the more simple games that don't take too much to finish and can always be replayed again if we have the time or wrapped up without problems if we are running out of it.

More than that, the systems are preferred to be either well known or easily understandable in a summary. I would like to request your help on this one, because my knowledge is inefficient here, since I am from somewhere where roleplaying isn't too popular. I can only name Everyone is John, Mafia/Werewolves, Maid and Fiasco from the top of my head. So if anyone has any ideas on that front, please feel free to tell what you would like to play

Then DMing. Of course, there are DMless games like aforementioned Fiasco, for instance. But for those that do require one, I'm willing to take the role, unless we have someone volunteering for it. We can also take turns if we end up playing multiple games, whatever works best for you.

The programs we can use to set up a call are abundant. I think we won't need rp services like roll20 for the very first session with simple games. The questions here are: are we using webcams and what exactly are we using for the call. Skype is one way to go, but some people really hate the thing. There are also ts, mumble and ventrilo servers. Again, whatever works best for you.

Then we come to the hardest part, the schedules and time zones. Here is how we are going to try and work around that: I would like every participant to leave his preferred days and times here or send them to me directly. You can do that in your local time, just tell me what UTC is it, I'll convert and see what we can do. If you have irregular schedules and no means to tell, then we'll see about how the chosen date/time works for you closer to the actual event.

Feel free to join in if you feel like playing or just leave your thoughts. Your feedback on the matters above would help big time. You can always PM me if something comes up. I'll make a list of all the participants and offer possible dates/times if you guys are into it. I believe that would conclude my disorderly thoughts on the subject, if I think of something else, I'll write it in the thread later.
PossiblyInsane

Re: RP hangout

Post by PossiblyInsane » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:23 pm

Schedule

All times are UTC -5:00

Monday: 11:00 AM -2:00 PM, 7:00 PM - 10:00 PM
Tuesday: 5:00 PM- 10:00 PM
Wednesday: No open timeslot :(
Thursday: 1:00 PM -10:00 PM
Friday: 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM, 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM
Saturday: 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM, 5:00 PM - 11:00 PM
Sunday: 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM, 5:00 PM - 11:00 PM

Thursday, Saturday afternoon-night, and Sunday afternoon-night are preferred.

Schedule may be subject to variation, if possible will inform in advance.

Format terse for no particular reason.
Kavonde

Post by Kavonde » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:06 pm

My Saturday afternoon/evenings are generally free. Given my current school schedule, combined with other obligations, though, Monday evenings might be my only other consistently available time.

(I'm in the Pacific time zone, so I'm working on GMT -7:00.)
Akri

Post by Akri » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:30 pm

My schedule is pretty much wide open, save for next weekend (Sept. 13-15). That said, evenings and weekends are probably best (note: I'm on Eastern time) as Omnilord occasionally has business calls during the day that would prevent me from using voice chat.
Traiden

Post by Traiden » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:34 pm

Moving soon so I will not know how my schedule will look like for the next few weeks or so. Just let me know when anything is going down.
CraigM

Post by CraigM » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:15 pm

Sounds great....
*looks at schedule*
Well crap. Perhaps when work tones down a bit. 70 hour weeks + school + pregnant wife makes this a 'not right now' type thing. In a month or two I'll check back in to see if this takes off, perhaps join in where I can.
Anster

Post by Anster » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:47 am

I have to sincerely apologize to you all, my life suddenly turned into a mess in no less than one day and I am forced to either push the event on someone else or put it on hold for the next 3-4 weeks
PossiblyInsane

Post by PossiblyInsane » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:58 am

Seeing as life has taken a turn for the busy for most of the people concerned, perhaps a DMless game like Fiasco would be desirable to start with, just to get momentum rolling behind this.
Anster

Post by Anster » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:04 pm

I'm not concerned about the actual games as much as the meeting itself, matching schedules and finding times for that. Once we actually get together, it is about playing (and getting the momentum rolling there is not an issue), but until then it's about getting as much of the participants together for a chunk of time as possible. And right now I'm the one who has no way of participating in those few weeks because I'm on a trip, constantly changing hotels.

What I'm saying is, I'll handle it once I come back or someone will volunteer to make it for me. Since no one did up to this point, we'll just to postpone it for an amount of time
I'm sorry.
Traiden

Post by Traiden » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:14 pm

Moving in about 48 hours, and by that I mean I am going to be on a plane for a while.