Under the Silent Skies - OOC

Text-based gaming!
Sudanna

Under the Silent Skies - OOC

Postby Sudanna » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:15 pm

You guys can consider that first post a teaser. I'm writing up more in-depth backstory and setting information, getting a map, and writing up the rules right now. Nobody go yet. :p
krellen

Re: Under the Silent Skies - OOC

Postby krellen » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:39 pm

RULES?! I thought there were no rules!
Sudanna

Postby Sudanna » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:02 pm

Think of it as a code of conduct. :p

EDIT: Also, argh, I had to make some minor changes to the teaser post. I accidentally put up a slightly earlier draft. OFF TO A GREAT START HERE. :|
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:13 pm

Hey, no worries, just take it slow. I know it is rough the first time but just push through the pain. Soon you will understand the joy of the first time running a game.
swenson

Postby swenson » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:31 pm

Ooh. I want to know more. :)
Sudanna

Postby Sudanna » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:25 pm

Okay. I put the stuff up. I probably forgot a few things. Ask me questions here or in a PM if anything is unclear. I'll probably do my first real IC post tomorrow, but if someone wants to rush in ahead of that, that's fine.
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:40 pm

Hmm, so many options to chose from. I wonder if I would be able to pull something off in such a world. It would take some doing and figuring to get it right, but I am confidant I would be able to enact my plans. Cracked, phft, you are just unable to comprehend my grand designs! I'll show everyone the results of my work for which I have given up the bounds of mortality for. Bwhahaha!

Question; Lich, yes or no?
Sudanna

Postby Sudanna » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:54 pm

Well, if you think you can pull off writing a sorcerer, if they chose to transform into a walking skeleton, sure. Probably going to be very difficult to write things from a genuinely inhuman viewpoint, though. I'm definitely not making a sorcerer my main character.

Also, sorcerers tend to either just die or warp into eldritch abominations and leave Thryn over long periods of time, so it probably won't be an immortality thing. Liches aren't really a 'thing' in Thryn, but a sorcerer that appears skeletal is 100% plausible.
swenson

Postby swenson » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:00 pm

Ah, I was just about to ask whether or not it was okay to play as a sorcerer. :) I'm not going to (I'm not a huge fan of playing characters that can quickly become OP... in fact, I tend to play jerks or dumb muscle), but just was going to check...
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:12 pm

Oh I won't be exclusive in my Malkavian Meme who replicates his own creation across generations. Any good Lich would have a multitude working in concert with him as they seek the secret to their master's apparent immortality. They would be quite interesting to use as intermediaries acting upon his will while the Master sets up for his grander plans we wishes to set upon the world when the time is ripe.
Sudanna

Postby Sudanna » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:41 pm

I have no idea what you're talking about.
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:45 pm

Exactly my point, exactly my point. You will, in time, come to know the grand plans I have set for this world. It might seem antagonistic to those without The Vision to see things through to the end but mistake not my actions with that of a criminal. I am working for the benefit of all!
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:20 pm

Quick question about a borderline technology, would bioartificing (grafting bits of organisms onto other organisms and keeping the bits functional through artifice magic) be a thing?

Also,
Traiden wrote:Exactly my point, exactly my point. You will, in time, come to know the grand plans I have set for this world. It might seem antagonistic to those without The Vision to see things through to the end but mistake not my actions with that of a criminal. I am working for the benefit of all!

But when The Vision is seen through a different eye, what might The Hand have wrought? Will they trip over the sideways step to move forward? Can the Support sustain such doubt?
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:27 pm

In time all things will be clear, and you too will be the one to eat those words. The Hands will guide the machine forward and soon cover the globe. Take care in your work, and be ever watchful for the signs of what lies ahead. I work only for the betterment of all.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:54 pm

Are those words tonic or poison? Is betterment of all the betterment of none, for while one is all, all is none. Betterment for all is betterment for none, for none is all. But betterment for one? While all and none merely replicate, one can only change by its introduction or elimination. Two is better, for two will change the quantity, no matter it's incarnation.

And what is time? Time is all, or time is none. If it will be clear in time, it will be clear for all, or it will be clear for none.
swenson

Postby swenson » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:24 pm

Your username is indeed appropriate.
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:33 pm

You speak in circles and half-rent riddles, come back to me once you understand how to get 31 from 5. Once you know that you can begin the journey to the enlightened path.
swenson

Postby swenson » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:19 am

Subtract 26. Am I right? Do I get a gold star? :D
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:28 am

You get another chance, take a long look at your hand. It is all you need to reach the solution.
Sudanna

Postby Sudanna » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:12 am

Bioartifice is not a thing. That said, if you want it to be something unique to your character, go ahead.
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:16 am

No necromancy in the traditional way. Ok then. But bones are still mentioned as materials so my plans are still on track.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:20 pm

You get 31 from 5 by looking at your hand. There are 31 unique combinations of upraised or lowered digits, excluding for this purpose the 32nd combination, which is that of no raised digits at all.

Representing this as a mathematical formula, there are two possible positions for a finger; raised or lowered. Let raised be a numeral 'x' and lowered be a numeral 'y'. On a typical hand there are five fingers, so let there be five digits in our formula. To explore all possible combinations, one must assign the possible numerals to each digit (in this case 2 for all digits) and multiply each resultant digit value with the other digit values.

2x2x2x2x2=32
32-1(the no upraised finger position)=31
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:21 pm

That is right; each digit represents a binary number in their position on the hand allowing you to count to 31 easily. You are well on your way to understanding the plans I will set in motion.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:28 pm

So...is this still a thing?

Return to “Play-by-Post”