The Resistance: Avalon: Forward to the Past!

Text-based gaming!
Submersible Scout

The Resistance: Avalon: Forward to the Past!

Postby Submersible Scout » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:39 pm

I understand that some of you fine people were excited for, and subsequently disappointed by, the "The Resistance" thread which flamed out in a blaze of dinosaurs. It is a personal quest of mine to run "The Resistance." Specifically, the standalone expansion, "The Resistance: Avalon," where players take on the roles of the Knights of the Round Table.

The Resistance is fairly simple, and the other thread did a good job explaining the rules. So of course, I got permission to gleefully pilfer that delightful poster's work.

edited for setting change
The Resistance:Avalon is a game similar to Werewolves. If you haven't played it, the rules are below, but for a simple overview, there is a group of 5 to 10 players, who go on missions. The Resistance membersKnights try to get missions to succeed, while the SpiesMinions of Mordred need the missions to fail. Lots of lying, voting, but no players ever get eliminated, so you're guaranteed to be part of the entire game.

How to Play

Role Assignment
First, I'll assign everyone a role via PM: Resistance MemberKnight of the Round Table or Imperial SpyMinion of Mordred. I will also inform the spies of the identity of the other spies. Although you know who the other spies are, you may not communicate outside of this thread. This applies to both ResistanceKnights and SpiesMinions.

Win Conditions
The ResistanceKnights must have 3 out of 5 missions succeed for them to win, while the SpiesMinions must fail 3 out of the 5 missions.

Setting Up A Mission
Once everyone gets their roles, a person will be randomly selected to be Leader of the first mission. The Leader will choose who which members will participate in the first mission. The number of players on a mission is different each round, and is based on the total number of players.

The Leader will bold the names they want, then everyone PMs me to either ACCEPT or REJECT the mission. These votes will all be revealed by me. I'll show which players ACCEPTED it, and which players REJECTED it.

If over 50% of the players ACCEPT the mission, then the players going on the mission will vote on the mission to SUCCEED or FAIL (see below).

Leadership passes to the next player. If the last mission was REJECTED, then the new leader repeats this step. **5 rejected missions in a row means that the spies win the game.**

Going On A Mission
Once a mission is accepted, the players on the mission PM me if they would like to SUCCEED or FAIL the mission. Once all players PM me, I will reveal the results, but not who sent me which result.

**If all players choose to SUCCEED the mission, it SUCCEEDS and the Resistance is closer to winning. If there is even 1 vote to FAIL the mission, the mission FAILS and the Spies are closer to winning.**

After this, the next mission starts, with a new leader.

Setting
Roleplaying is encouraged to keep the game fun. The setting is below:

The year is 2158. The Canadian Empire, stretching from the northern reaches of Nunavut to Tierra del Fuego rules the Americas with an iron fist. However, all hope is not lost. There is an underground resistance movement, dedicated to ending the tyranny of the Emperor, and restoring freedom to the New World.
The Resistance: Avalon pits the forces of Good and Evil in a battle to control the future of civilization. Arthur represents the future of Britain, a promise of prosperity and honor, yet hidden among his brave warriors are Mordred's unscrupulous minions. These forces of evil are few in number but have knowledge of each other and remain hidden from all but one of Arthur's servants. Merlin alone knows the agents of evil, but he must speak of this only in riddles. If his true identity is discovered, all will be lost. [ed. Thank you Amazon product description]

If you would like to join, post in this thread to reserve a spot. Give a character name and a background of why you joined the Resistanceound Table.

Missions
There are 5 missions. More people come on each subsequent mission, making it harder (but never impossible) to keep the spies out of the party. Sway 3 missions for your team, and you win.

So What's New?
Our hook is that each team gets a special character. One Knight works the magic of Merlin, and one Minion lives the life of an pope-fighterAssassin.

Roles
Merlin, in addition to being a knight, divines the identities of all of the minions at the start of the game. However, he must keep his knowledge quiet, because the Assassin is out to get him. If the Knights succeed in their 3 missions, the Minions get a chance to discuss among themselves and try to discover the identity of Merlin. The Assassin makes the final decision. If they can correctly pick out Merlin, the Kingdom will have no guardian against the power of Mordred, and the Minions win.

If you liked that wall of text, leave your name and homing pigeon carrier below. For Avalon!
HedgehogRanger

Re: The Resistance: Avalon: Forward to the Past!

Postby HedgehogRanger » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:36 am

Alright, I'm in, and will come up with a character later. Hopefully more than half of the people in this game will vote on the first mission :P
Draxom

Postby Draxom » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:35 pm

I'll throw my hat in on this one. This time I shall be...

Siege Master Turkey-On-Rye. The youngest of 9 children, he was named after his fathers second favorite sandwich(His brother, Ham-And-Cheese-On-Wheat, is 1 year older than him). Turk, as most people call him, has exceptional skill at getting over, around, or through just about any wall. Subtlety, however, is not one of his strong skills.
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:11 pm

I must once more throw myself into the thick of things. I may be newly raised in the ranks from Squire to Knight, but the good name of Zander Jacobson will surely shine brightly in these dark times. My skill with the Bow and Halberd shall be the key to assuring victory in all his endeavors.
Submersible Scout

Postby Submersible Scout » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:35 pm

I really appreciate all your interest. This is pretty exciting, in that i've not run this game yet.

That said, we need five players, minimum. Once two more lost souls wander in to the court, we can start!
CraigM

Postby CraigM » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:50 pm

Count me in, I'll be Sir Palmtree. Brother of Sir Palomides. Like my more famous brother I will strongly adhere to my moral code, and am exceptionally talented in one on one combat. Also if you so much as breathe the word Saracen me in a disparaging tone I'll knock your head off.

Return to “Play-by-Post”