RP - No G

Text-based gaming!
Sudanna

RP - No G

Post by Sudanna » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:06 am

Anyone else ever do roleplaying without a game attached? Is anyone interested in something like this? I've got a setting and a setup in mind for an industrial fantasy RP and I just wanna see if anyone here's interested.
Traiden

Re: RP - No G

Post by Traiden » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:46 am

A no system game, sure it will be just like everyone is john, except when its not.

I will throw my hat in, but will expect it back.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Post by Lachlan the Sane » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:02 am

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen comes close -- it's about as RP as you can get a G to go before it just turns into theatre sports.
Sudanna

Post by Sudanna » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:33 am

No, not like Everyone is John. :p Everyone is John is a rules-light game, but it's very firmly a game. It has a Game Master. I mean a freeform collaborative story writing thing. You take control of a character or group of characters or a nation or whatever and write a story with other people doing the same. Sometimes you share or exchange control over different things in the story. It's a pretty common internet thing.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:10 am

Nalyd wrote:Anyone else ever do roleplaying without a game attached?

Yes,but I dont know what bedroom shenanigans have to do with anything.
Oooooh,you mean something like a story.Well,that could work.Though some rules like reserving a post should still be in place.I might give it a try.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Post by Lachlan the Sane » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:35 am

I would be curious to try a PbP of The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, but you'd need to institute a couple of things, most notably a time limit. Munchausen is all about improvisation, so if you have a week to think of a story in, then you're ruining it.
Akri

Post by Akri » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:34 pm

I might be willing to give it a try. I've enjoyed my forays into internet RP so far, so why not?
dudecon

Post by dudecon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:51 am

I've done this a few times, both on and off internet. It is, basically as Mad L. states, "theatre sports". But there's nothing wrong with that! Improv' is the heart of drama!

One of the times we kind of ended up in a strange place, because we started off with certain assumptions but no explicit statements about the setting, and then whenever details were added it was revealed that anything that we had not stated was in fact different from what we had assumed.
For example, there were some characters on a boat. Then the next contributor mentioned in an offhand sort of way that the boat was sailing through the clouds instead of water. Then the next contributor had the characters holding things in both of their right and left hands, so, everyone had four hands instead of two. Then the characters had wings (they had been there all along), and so forth. There were multiple planes of reality superimposed on eachother. There were characters with implausible but highly refined motives. There were stairs to the moon, and crystals of power, and holdout blasters, and whole armies of teleporting warriors. After a while everything got so surreal, and we had to go back and examine everything (and the recursive implications of everything) so often that the whole story kind of collapsed under the weight of the multiplicity of innovations.
Plus no one knew what was going on at all, or what would happen next. I think that was one of the best ones though... It was almost dreamlike in the pure creative expression of it.

So, what kind of an experience did you have in mind?
Sudanna

Post by Sudanna » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:15 pm

Okay, um, no, that's not it either. That's a party game. Seriously? You guys have no idea how a forum RP works? It's preeeetty much like some of the PbP games we've had on here, except few formal rules and no systems. Dawn of Worlds prolly comes closest in terms of writing format. . . I'm not even sure how to explain it? You write a story with a bunch of other people. You roleplay. Would an example help?

These are the IC and OOC threads for my first RP, a long while ago(be nice, I was 13). It was pretty good but not perfect, so it should be a good example. The setting and premise aren't anything like what I was planning on using here, but the basic format and etiquette's there.
Last edited by Sudanna on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PossiblyInsane

Post by PossiblyInsane » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:50 pm

I'm willing to give it a shot.
SpammyV

Post by SpammyV » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:41 pm

See, this is how I think of RPing because this is how I started, with purely narrative forum games. No system, no stats, no dice, no nothing. You just write and do character stuff. Everyone is there to contribute to the storytelling.

And that has probably influenced how much I like the RPG systems I have available to me. From least to greatest: D&D, Star Wars Saga Edition, FATE*, Battletech: A Time of War. D&D just feels too game-y for me, not enough RP. And I come from the school of thought that unless you're using an existing universe you make up your own setting, so the implicit setting that comes through with the Gods and spell names turns me off. Star Wars is slightly better because it's Star Wars. I don't have full judgement on FATE because my core rulebook isn't in yet and I want to read that instead of a .pdf, but considering that characters are built around High Concepts, Troubles, and Aspects, it seems promising. And I really love A Time of War because the character creation sees you building your character's history and comes with character-shaping Traits and also the system itself isn't terribly complicated at the basic level. Combat though... might need to run through the house rules before it gets to somewhere I like.

So in short, I totally feel you Nalyd.
Akri

Post by Akri » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:13 am

So when do we get to find out more about your setting/premise, Nalyd? Inquiring minds want to know :)
Sudanna

Post by Sudanna » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:29 am

It seems like at least a few people are interested. I'll start writing something up soon.
swenson

Post by swenson » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:31 pm

I'm interested, but every time I get into something like this, life immediately intervenes to prevent me from staying involved. :) I've done a few forum RPs in the past, though, so I'm at least familiar with the concept.

Count me as tentatively interested, if it's okay if I play a character who isn't active all the time.
anaphysik

Post by anaphysik » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:10 am

Nalyd wrote:Okay, um, no, that's not it either. That's a party game. Seriously? You guys have no idea how a forum RP works? It's preeeetty much like some of the PbP games we've had on here, except few formal rules and no systems. Dawn of Worlds prolly comes closest in terms of writing format. . . I'm not even sure how to explain it? You write a story with a bunch of other people. You roleplay. Would an example help?

These are the IC and OOC threads for my first RP, a long while ago(be nice, I was 13). It was pretty good but not perfect, so it should be a good example. The setting and premise aren't anything like what I was planning on using here, but the basic format and etiquette's there.

Other examples, of widely varying quality: http://z13.invisionfree.com/TJ_Skiffy_C ... owforum=23 (I be "herrdoktor" on that site. Just look for the manta...)

(Technically, a couple of those have rules systems/GMs attached to them, but most are freeform, just with different writing conventions. E.g. the "Fantasy RP" is a quick-post one-to-two-lines everyone-plays-a-single-character sort of thing (which I wasn't part of), whereas the "Expedition RP" is essentially a co-written serial/novel-ish thing (which I *am* part of, and will stop being dead when I stop being incredibly lazy). 'Freeform RP' still offers a lot of leeway when it comes to what type of 'writing-shit-up thing' you actually want to do - and that's a really important thing to pin down before you all begin :/ - or else everyone will be using their own conventions, and people run the risk of getting mildly irritated at each other.)
Naota

Post by Naota » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:28 pm

The vast majority of creative writing I've done has been of the purely RP variety just as you suggest, though the speed at which I conceive of new posts has always been something of bugbear. I actually don't "get" the popularity of rigid systems like D&D if the goal is to make a compelling, character-driven story, because so long as your fellow writers have a clue there shouldn't be any worry about them ruining the story.

If two characters need to fight to resolve something, I say have their writers talk it out and come to the most compelling and dramatically satisfying conclusion rather than relying on dice rolls and numerically-quantified statistics. If a character intends to make a charismatic appeal, they should make a charismatic appeal, with the chance of success riding on the actual things they've said as interpreted by the people hearing it rather than some numbers. Swing a sword at a monster's head? Dramatic payoff and the rules of good storytelling should determine whether or not it hits instead of a dice roll. All of these things just seem more interesting to me if written as fiction rather than shackled to game systems in the interest of "fairness".

I don't mean to malign tabletop gaming, as I'm sure the rigid game systems are the point; I'm just curious why good old collaborative writing is so often dismissed on the internet in favour of pen and paper artifice.
krellen

Post by krellen » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:03 pm

Naota wrote:I don't mean to malign tabletop gaming, as I'm sure the rigid game systems are the point

Actually, the system isn't so much the POINT as it is the artifice by which escapism occurs. For instance, what if the player who "should make a charismatic appeal" isn't actually very good at making charismatic appeals? Without the system, this means this player can never play a character good at making charismatic appeals. The same goes for smart characters (and less smart players) and any other attribute a person might lack but wishes to pretend to have for a short period of time.

There also exist a fair number of systems wherein there is no dice rolling, or wherein success is only in question when either result would be equally dramatic. It's not about "fairness". No one's trying to "win" D&D*.

*Except Gary Gygax, who it turns out was actually a spectacularly horrible DM, but he's gone now and we've made his legacy better than he left it.
Naota

Post by Naota » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:55 pm

Hmm, it may just be how things look from the outside, then. I've heard dozens of stories about crazy D&D antics, but at least as many where it's very much players vs. DM, or players vs. others players in a very metagamey fashion, where people seem more interested in "winning" (even if only in a figurative sense) than weaving a good tale. I greatly respect a DM who can think on their feet and put a spin on something like his primary villain dying to a very unfortunate string of criticals from an enraged pine squirrel, but there's also something to be said for stories which take long-term planning.

I suppose on the other side of things though, tabletop games end. A single session of a few hours can cover a lot of ground narratively, where conventional writing would only relate a fraction of it in the same amount of time. Though I've been in many RP's, I've only seen them actually survive from start to finish a handful of times. Sometimes it's even just a single post before the end, which while no less enjoyable to write, is a little sad to see go unresolved.
anaphysik

Post by anaphysik » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:13 am

You know, it's also possible for people to attempt to "win" systemless RPs :/. God moding, ignoring other players' actions, forced RP, etc. Now, I think that most of the time this results in either the offending player getting kicked out or the RP effectively dying, whereas in tabletops it's possible to see such problems even in long-running campaigns (see, this doesn't mean that it's more frequent in one format than in the other - just that it's more common in /active/ tabletops compared with /active/ freeforms).

(I suspect that this is generally less tolerated in RP-no-G in part because they tend to lack the social feature of tabletops - they're more typically done in forums, with *only* the RP being the focus of 'active' discussion (so within the game, everyone's thinking about *only* the game (sometimes to an overly sensitive amount IMO, as some people worry about letting other players write /anything/ involving their characters so as to avoid the possibility of 'forced RP'/etc). Whereas tabletops are more likely to feature players blathering about other topics as well, and there's more focus on 'hanging out' in a more general sense. I dunno, just a thought. I've never really /personally/ been in any game wherein someone was trying to "win" :/ )