Pathfinder: Settling the Vale of Tears (OOC and Rules Stuff)

Text-based gaming!
Traiden

Re: Pathfinder: Settling the Vale of Tears (OOC and Rules St

Postby Traiden » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:49 pm

My own issues with work prevent me from finalizing my characters to, if it keeps up then I might have to back out of this. I will still be doing Paranoia and John, only because I don't have to have access to GoogleDocs.
RedSun

Postby RedSun » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:05 am

Good to know I'm not the only one holding things up. This is the first I've actually written up a character sheet, let alone four, and I'm genuinely surprised at how much goes into this-especially gear.

Traiden wrote:My own issues with work prevent me from finalizing my characters to, if it keeps up then I might have to back out of this. I will still be doing Paranoia and John, only because I don't have to have access to GoogleDocs.

The Pathfinder database has a ton of downloadable character sheets, if that helps any: http://www.pathfinderdb.com/character-s ... ter-sheets

Barring that, don't hesitate to ask for any personal help if you need it. I'd hate to lose a player before we even begin :).
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:10 am

The problem with that is I am on a 12 hour work schedule and military computers don't let you load up any webpages that have anything to do with games.
krellen

Postby krellen » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:40 am

Traiden wrote:The problem with that is I am on a 12 hour work schedule and military computers don't let you load up any webpages that have anything to do with games.

Let me corroborate Traiden's story - the AF NIPR network is pretty stupidly restrictive. Can't load the Escapist (but can load Shamus's sites!), but can load Cracked. Figure that one out.
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:52 am

I am also in a deployed location so I have extra restrictive access. I am happy to even be able to get onto the board at work. This could be because the site is new and not under the umbrella block they place on the NIPR Net.
krellen

Postby krellen » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:58 am

Can't be. They block my blog (which has apparently been categorised "Gaming" already), but not Shamus's.
RedSun

Postby RedSun » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:10 am

So no access to pathfinder materials, then? It's OGL content, though; it might be legal if, say, I torrented a copy of the core rulebook and Ultimate Campaign and sent you the PDFs. Though I'm not sure how I would send it to you with the NIPR in place...

Legal outside of using the torrent client, of course. But then only I'd be breaking the law.
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:38 am

I think it has something to do with how the URL is, they have keywords picked out for blocking sites. Once I get out of the Sandbox and back to Germany I would be able to get at it.
Draxom

Postby Draxom » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:35 am

Do you have access to something like dropbox?
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:53 pm

No, I can not get onto any uploader site like dropbox or anything like it. It would be a vulnerability to Net Security. Excel spreadsheets that have scripts in them to data mine the network and all that.
Draxom

Postby Draxom » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:24 pm

And i guess just emailing you the PDFs wouldn't work either...
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:50 pm

Hmm... That might work. Though I would worry that it might be to large a PDF to send.
RedSun

Postby RedSun » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:56 pm

I'm looking into it. PDF files don't compress very well, so I'm trying to split the Ultimate Campaigns Book(only pages 196 to 257 involve building civs) and then I'll split the PC building sections of the Core rulebook, if this actually works. Hopefully, I can get these things to a small enough state to email without having to send you twenty of them.
RedSun

Postby RedSun » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:21 pm

All right. Traiden, I have a 19 mb Ultimate Campaigns PDF loaded and ready for your inbox. Its for your buldings and Kingdom management rules, not your PCs, but I'm doing that second because that's gounna take a bit longer.

PM me your email address, if you would.
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:16 pm

Red, thanks for helping Traiden out.

To everyone: sorry I haven't been around. I'm out of school for the next few weeks, but I had a whole spectrum of obligations and responsibilities sprung on me over the last seven days, and I was just plain' feelin' too lazy to do my DMing stuff. Getting my head back in the game ASAP, though, starting with finishing the NPCs for those who haven't received theirs yet.
krellen

Postby krellen » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:47 pm

RedSun wrote:All right. Traiden, I have a 19 mb Ultimate Campaigns PDF loaded and ready for your inbox. Its for your buldings and Kingdom management rules, not your PCs, but I'm doing that second because that's gounna take a bit longer.

19 MB is probably too big. Assuming the incoming limits are the same as the outgoing, you'll probably have to split that into quarters.
RedSun

Postby RedSun » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:50 pm

krellen wrote:
RedSun wrote:All right. Traiden, I have a 19 mb Ultimate Campaigns PDF loaded and ready for your inbox. Its for your buldings and Kingdom management rules, not your PCs, but I'm doing that second because that's gounna take a bit longer.

19 MB is probably too big. Assuming the incoming limits are the same as the outgoing, you'll probably have to split that into quarters.

It's already worked. The limit for Yahoo(without having to use Dropbox) is 25 mb.
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:01 am

You went all out on this. Thank you!
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:47 pm

On a whim, I wrote an inauguration speech for my ruler:

"My friends, it is truly an honor to be here today. Now that I am temporarily free from my stuffy aides, who I see recognize the warning signs and are making a rapid tactical retreat, I hope you can indulge an old gnome and let him tell you a story.

Back when I was a young gnome, and I realize that that is practically a history lesson, I lived in a small tribe of gnomes living off the land, free roaming, free laughing, free...well, lets just there were a lot of baby gnomes running around the place!

But one day, a pack of trolls loped along and wondered if gnome meat was tasty. The first I heard of it was when I woke up inside a troll's mouth. I taught him that gnome meat sticks something awful on the way down! Once I had cut my way out and torched the body, I ran out and found my tribe being eaten alive. I rallied them with the dead trolls head, and once the trolls got near the children we fought like demons to drive them off. We ripped apart and burned six trolls that night, the only ones that didn't run for their wretched lives.

But that was bittersweet on the morning after, when we had to bury half the tribe. A dead troll isn't much consolation when you find bits of your brother in it's gullet. But what else was there to do? How could we surviving few stand a chance against a whole pack of trolls? So we didn't. We played their game better. We tracked them down, and shadowed them. If they slept alone we tore them to pieces. If they slept together we burned them alive in their holes. If they tried to fight us we disappeared into the forest. We did not stop until every single one of those child eating bastards was dead.

I learned a hard lesson in those days. As fun as it is to frolic in the fields of youth, that fun is cut brutally short by hungry trolls. I am not trying to sell fear, I'm stating facts. We live in a brutal, capricious world. It is up to us to change it for the better, by any means necessary. So that we and our children may roam and laugh and frolic, it is not enough to survive from day to day. Strive to improve your lot in life, and change the world for the better. Strive for a better tomorrow.

Thank you."

Speaking of the game, any idea on when we might be able to start?
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:40 am

Also, do we have starting default Ruler/Spymaster bonus attribute placement and Holiday/Promotion/Taxation Edicts, or do we determine them beforehand?
Draxom

Postby Draxom » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:34 pm

So...where do we stand on this? Are people still stuck on character creation? Is there anything I can do to help? Can a hearse carrying a corpse drive in the carpool lane?
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:44 pm

I am not going to fulfill any sort of deadline for this and I think it would be best for all if I dropped out of this game. I am about to move a not insignificant amount of space, enough to traverse two time zones, and be on a new shift. I am sorry for any holdup I have caused and hope to participate in the next game of this nature some time soon.
PossiblyInsane

Postby PossiblyInsane » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:45 pm

Draxom wrote:So...where do we stand on this? Are people still stuck on character creation? Is there anything I can do to help? Can a hearse carrying a corpse drive in the carpool lane?

I'm ready and raring to go. My characters are all done to at least reference sheet criteria. A hearse carrying a corpse can only drive in the carpool lane if someone is keeping the corpse's heart beating*.

*Disclaimer: I am in no manner a professional legal counsel and any legal advice given should not be considered legal dogma or brought to a court of law. In case I have to come with it. Again.

Traiden wrote:I am not going to fulfill any sort of deadline for this and I think it would be best for all if I dropped out of this game. I am about to move a not insignificant amount of space, enough to traverse two time zones, and be on a new shift. I am sorry for any holdup I have caused and hope to participate in the next game of this nature some time soon.

Sorry to hear that. :(

Good luck with your move!
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:33 am

Still stuck at two characters, because my regular computer has spent three fucking weeks in the shop. Not going back there again >:(
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:41 am

Traiden wrote:I am not going to fulfill any sort of deadline for this and I think it would be best for all if I dropped out of this game. I am about to move a not insignificant amount of space, enough to traverse two time zones, and be on a new shift. I am sorry for any holdup I have caused and hope to participate in the next game of this nature some time soon.

No worries, man. You didn't cause any holdup, though, so don't feel bad. The DM sort of let himself get distracted for awhile, too.

Ditto for Lachlan. Don't worry about holding anything up. Setting up the game and figuring out how to run things turned out more complicated than I thought it would, and like the schmuck I am, I decided to let it sit for awhile without saying anything. I'm still planning to get things running, but I've got a lot of work to do on my end still.

Return to “Play-by-Post”