Anyone wanna go on Vacation? (recruitment/ooc thread)

Text-based gaming!
GragSmash

Anyone wanna go on Vacation? (recruitment/ooc thread)

Post by GragSmash » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:22 pm

Background: A couple years ago I wrote, but never played a silly, simple game for a One-Page RPG contest. You can find it here: http://gragsmash.blogspot.com/2011/09/vacation-rpg.html

Vacation is a game set in the distant future, when humans are fairly useless but have the technology to make whatever toys they want - the biggest problem is boredom, which some choose to resolve through time-travel. You play a "puppet", a biomechanical construct remotely controlled through the time-portal so that, no matter what you do, there is an absolute lack of consequences. It can be pre-loaded with any needed skills or equipment to accommodate your desired Vacation experience.

What I propose: I will act as Tour-Guide for a Vacation to some strange time and place, full of awe and wonderment. You will act as a slack-jawed tourist, ruining everything you touch with careless abandon because what the hell, you're on Vacation.

If you are interested: Post a message to indicate this. Don't worry about creating a puppet yet (you're welcome to try, but changes might be needed to your puppet or equipment based on where we go.

Indicate what sort of trip interests you, with a format like this:

1st choice: Ancient Rome - Coloseeum hijinks
2nd choice: Paleolithic - mammoth races
3rd choice: Deely Plaza - shout "DUCK!" at the motorcade.

I'm going to put in place a pre-emptive "Godwin's Law" ban. I am not interested in doing anything regarding world war 2. Just don't. It would force this thread to use lots of words that could cause trouble. This ban does not prevent a Vacation involving Harold Godwinson. Just so we're clear.
PossiblyInsane

Re: Anyone wanna go on Vacation? (recruitment/ooc thread)

Post by PossiblyInsane » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:38 pm

I'd be interested in doing this.

1st Choice: Thermopylae - 300 Spartans plus change
2nd Choice: Agincourt - Let's meet Henry the Vth
3rd Choice: Ancient Rome - Colosseum hijinx

Character:

Louis Bonaparte, upon investigating his family name, was horrified to learn that France had only two noteworthy military periods after their ascent from barbarism; the reign of the ancient emperor Napoleon Bonaparte and the almost prehistoric time of Jeanne d'Arc. He has a goal that he is sure no one else considered with the possibility of time travel; go into the past and CHANGE HISTORY so that Noveau France becomes the premier world power. He is not sure where the tour will take him, but he is smuggling in a suit of biomechanical battle armor to affect those changes. NO ONE WILL SUSPECT A THING.

Skills:
Ranged Weapon - 4(battle armor)
Running Away - 4(French puppets are built this way, OK? It doesn't mean anything!)
Séduction avec la langue d'amour - 4(French puppets have their priorities straight)

Equipment:
Ranged Weapon, Fast - 4(battle armor)
Combat Armor - 4(battle armor)
Breathmints(pour aide avec la langue d'amour) - 2(French puppets have their priorities straight)

Native Talent: Energy Projection Magic(battle armor)
Last edited by PossiblyInsane on Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CraigM

Post by CraigM » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:57 pm

History? Hijinks? Hell yes!

1st choice: Chicago 1893 - Tesla Vs Edison
2nd choice: Trojan War - Illead insanity
3rd choice: Naopleonic Wars - French foolishness
alternate 3rd choice: Ancient Egypt - Pharaoh follies
Sudanna

Post by Sudanna » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:34 pm

1st choice: Chicago, 1968. asphalt slip 'n slides

Don't feed the troll. <_< >_>
Akri

Post by Akri » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:45 pm

Sign me up.

1st Choice: Late Cretacious - T-Rex Trouble
2nd Choice: Ancient Egypt - Monument mayhem
3rd Choice: Aztec Empire - Sacrificial Silliness
GragSmash

Post by GragSmash » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:49 pm

Nalyd wrote:1st choice: Chicago, 1968. asphalt slip 'n slides

That made me grin a bit, I'm ashamed to say.

Are you seriously interested in playing, though?
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:56 pm

Count me in.

GragSmash wrote:I'm going to put in place a pre-emptive "Godwin's Law" ban. I am not interested in doing anything regarding world war 2. Just don't. It would force this thread to use lots of words that could cause trouble. This ban does not prevent a Vacation involving Harold Godwinson. Just so we're clear.

Damn,now Im tempted to go to WWI and watch as hitler gets his medal.Ill try to resist though.

1st choice: Yucatan peninsula,some 65 million years ago - Riding down that big 'un that got rid of the dinosaurs
2nd choice: China/Mongloia - Watch the mongorians siege the shity warr.
3rd choice: The future - Watch the sun go nova.
CraigM

Post by CraigM » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:09 pm

GragSmash wrote:
Nalyd wrote:1st choice: Chicago, 1968. asphalt slip 'n slides

That made me grin a bit, I'm ashamed to say.

Of course after I pick one of the brightest moments in my city, Nayld goes and picks that one... I'll just have to deal with him, Chicago style. Now where are the fire hoses and cement boots.
PossiblyInsane

Post by PossiblyInsane » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:10 pm

The more options I hear, the more options I want to take simultaneously! Is there a 'Random' option?
GragSmash

Post by GragSmash » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:21 pm

So it looks like our group is

CraigM
Daemian Lucifer
Akri
PossiblyInsane

I'll take a look at the requested times and decide on a setting. Go ahead and edit your posts with characters.

No magic, unless you take it as a "native-talent" Just pick equipment in generic terms and I will let you know what final form it takes when we arrive.

Character creation rules, copied from my blog post:

Character creation:

Skills: As a citizen of the future, you naturally do not possess any skills. Therefore your puppet can be programmed with a selection of skills, including but not limited to
Ranged weapon
Melee weapon
Unarmed
Vehicle operation
Crafting
Healing magic (ask your Tour Guide if he is allowing magic)
Force manipulation magic (levitate, fly, throw things with your mind)
Energy projection magic
Consult your Tour Guide before taking a different skill, it may be included in one listed above

Your puppet can be loaded with twelve skill points, to a maximum of four in any given skill.

Equipment: Your puppet can be equipped with items, which will be made of the same biomechanical substance as the puppet. The exact form of these items will be determined by the venue your Tour Guide selects - a laser rifle would be inappropriate in ancient Chicago during the Capone age, and post-apocalyptic, Xag'hos-mutant infested Montana would be an odd place to carry a stone ax. Here are a few examples:
Ranged weapon, slow (combat bonus is points spent + 4, Initiative 4)
Ranged weapon, fast (combat bonus is points spent, Initiative 2)
Melee weapon, slow (combat bonus is points spent +2, initiative 3)
Melee weapon, fast(combat bonus is points spent -1, Initiative 1)
Combat armor (armor rating = points spent * 4. Initiative penalty of points spent /2, round down. This is in addition to the native armor rating of 4 for a puppet.
Hand-held explosive charge (combat bonus of points spent +4, initiative 2)
Security bypass devices
Climbing gear
Implement of healing (points spent *2 in charges, magical or ultra-tech)
You may select up to 10 points of equipment, with a maximum of 4 for each.

As a vacationer, you should be aware of your native talents, such as they are. Here are some possibilities:
Quick-witted (-1 to initiative)
Cheater (bring additional 3 points of equipment, may boost equipment to max of 6)
Skillful (select additional 4 points of skills, may boost skills to a max of 6)
Dumb luck (may retry any roll where failure would result in failure or death)
Please choose only one.
Last edited by GragSmash on Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sudanna

Post by Sudanna » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:59 pm

Nope, sorry, I was just trolling.
CraigM

Post by CraigM » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:36 pm

Skills:
Agility - 3pts
Manipulation - 3pts
medicine/ healing - 1pt
Scavenging - 2pts
Weapons (type TBD) - 3pts

Equipment:
Weapon (of same type as skill) - 4
Healing equipment (of appropriate for time period) - 3
Ropes + climbing supplies - 3

Natural talent:
Dumb Luck - to go with the dumb things I'll do
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:55 pm

Can I have riding as a skill,since it isnt on a list?

And am I correct in assuming that different things dont require specialized skills?For example,ranged weapon covers guns,bows and arrows,darts,lasers,etc?And in that case,would riding and driving be separate?(they seem to be more like melee vs range,so I think they should).
PossiblyInsane

Post by PossiblyInsane » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:56 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Can I have riding as a skill,since it isnt on a list?

And am I correct in assuming that different things dont require specialized skills?For example,ranged weapon covers guns,bows and arrows,darts,lasers,etc?And in that case,would riding and driving be separate?(they seem to be more like melee vs range,so I think they should).

As far as I can tell, you can pick skills that aren't on the list, the list is just examples.

It seems that since the weapon used is determined by the era we enter, ranged weapon covers all ranged weapons. Riding and driving might be separate e.g. horseback riding. vs. chariot driving. What do you say, GragSmash?
GragSmash

Post by GragSmash » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:44 pm

PossiblyInsane wrote:
Daemian Lucifer wrote:Can I have riding as a skill,since it isnt on a list?

As far as I can tell, you can pick skills that aren't on the list, the list is just examples.

It seems that since the weapon used is determined by the era we enter, ranged weapon covers all ranged weapons. Riding and driving might be separate e.g. horseback riding. vs. chariot driving. What do you say, GragSmash?

driving would cover pretty much any vehicle operation - piloting, driving, carriage driving. animal riding would be a separate skill.

they are as generic as possible and the puppet will be programmed with whatever interpretation is needed for this adventure.

if you pick two things that are actually the same skill I'll let you know. it was a system whipped up in an hour and meant to fit a page. I am prepared to debug a little as needed.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:08 pm

Skills:
Driving - 3
Riding - 2
Ranged weapons - 6
Crafting - 3

Equipment:
Ranged weapon (fast) - 4
Hand-held explosive charge - 2
Hoverboard (as in back to the future) - 2

Natural talent:
Skillful
Akri

Post by Akri » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:17 am

Would "bluffing" fall under "skills" or "native talent"?
GragSmash

Post by GragSmash » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:44 pm

Thanks all for posting your characters. I'll try to go over these tonight. I am going to be out of town and away from keyboard over the weekend, but I will try to decide on game setting by then so we can get started early next week.

Akri - It can be either.

Native talent is a thing about your actual character, the dude who lives in the future. whether it is knowledge of how to cheat and get more equipment, or actual skill in some thing.

your normal skill loadout represents things that are programmed into the puppet which is sent into the past - your character's character. this can be social manipulation (which includes bluff), or mechanical repair, or the ability to sing.
GragSmash

Post by GragSmash » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:08 am

PossiblyInsane - looks good. Your social persuasion skill is labelled a bit oddly, but I like it.

CraigM - looks good. Is that dexterous manipulation (like lockpicking) or social manipulation?

DL - you can take two points more each of equipment and skills by my count. The hoverboard should not be seen by locals but the tour guide will allow it.
CraigM

Post by CraigM » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:13 am

Social manipulation. As much fun as sleight of hand may be, I'm going for the fast talker.
Akri

Post by Akri » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:02 am

I should have mine up soon. I'd have been done faster, but I just can't decide what I want. So...many...choices...

Edit:

Alright, finally got a build I'm happy with. Decided not to use bluff/social manipulation after all. I'm sure that choice is going to bite me in the rear at the first opportunity.

Skills:

Riding - 4
Acrobatics - 3
Unarmed - 2
Fire handling - 3

Equipment:

Fire starting kit - 3
Climbing gear - 4
Implement of healing - 3

Native talent:

Dumb luck
GragSmash

Post by GragSmash » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:19 pm

Thanks Akri - i will launch the game thread soon.
GragSmash

Post by GragSmash » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:39 am

Letting you know I haven't abandoned this. Busy days of endless meetings at work. Will launch as soon as I can.
GragSmash

Post by GragSmash » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:27 am

Letting you know I've abandoned this. I'm very sorry, I just am not finding time for this game. Life keeps getting in the way.
Akri

Post by Akri » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:45 pm

That's alright. Real life trumps forum games :)