Hello, John. The OOC thread.

Text-based gaming!
Traiden

Hello, John. The OOC thread.

Postby Traiden » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:48 pm

John is a totally insane man in Minneapolis. He is controlled by the Voices in his head -- one at a time, of course.

John is not terribly competent; he has difficulty with a lot of things that you and I might take for granted. Whenever John attempts anything that an ordinary person might have any chance of failure at, he needs to roll for success.

The Voice who is currently in control of John does the rolling. If that Voice has a skill that covers the challenge, the Voice needs to roll a 3 or higher on the single d6. If it doesn't have a skill, it needs to roll a 6. However, before the roll, the Voice can spend any number of Willpower points to get a +1 per point spent on the die roll. This can make success automatic.

Becoming the active Voice is a bit of a challenge, though. Whenever John wakes up or gets hurt, a test for control of John happens. Also, whenever the currently active Voice fails a roll or completes its obsession, a test for control of John happens.

When a test for control of John occurs, all of the Voices who are interested simultaneously bid one or more Willpower points (if you're using tokens for Willpower, it's easiest for everyone to just hold out the tokens in their closed hands, and then, when everyone's ready, reveal the number of tokens). Voices don't have to bid if they don't want to (and you can hold out zero tokens if you want to fake out the other Voices). The highest number of Willpower becomes the active Voice. If multiple people bid the same highest amount, then they roll off to see who becomes active.

The Voice who becomes active loses the amount of Willpower it bids. All others keep their bids. It's perfectly acceptable for the previously active Voice to win a bid and remain active.

Whenever John wakes up, the struggle for control of John happens before the GM describes the situation John wakes up into.

John is pretty easily distracted. Whenever nothing exciting is happening for ten minutes or more (such as on a bus ride or the like), the GM should roll a die. On a roll of 4 or higher, John goes to sleep and wakes up whenever (prompting a struggle for control of John). When John naps like this, all of the Voices gain one Willpower.

You are a Voice, and thus must create your persona. 2 to 3 skills and 3 obsessions.

Each Voice has two or three skills. This is a freeform game, so just write down a short description of the skill, like "Drives well," or "Good at persuading people." Most Voices have two skills, but you can have three if you start at 7 Willpower instead of 10.

On the subject of Obsessions they are kind of like a winning condition: if you complete your obsession more than other Voices complete their obsession, you win. Obsessions come in three grades: Level 1 (pretty easy to accomplish, like "Pigging out on candy"), Level 2 (more difficult or risky, like, "dressing up in women's clothing and hitting on strangers,"), and Level 3 (nearly impossible to accomplish, like, "Blowing up buildings"). The harder obsessions count more than the easier ones. You might want to keep your obsession seceret if you want maxium fun.

Play begins with John waking up in the morning (and a test for control of him). The GM then describes the circumstances into which he wakes up. With John, you never can tell. He could be in a gutter somewhere, or he could be in a palatial estate, or anywhere in between. The Voices really have no idea how they ended up here.

At this point, the Voices should start working on fulfilling their obsessions and avoiding getting John killed. Inevitably, their Willpowers will decrease. Once all of the Voices are out of Willpower, John sinks back into sleep, and the game session is over.

At this point, the Voices reveal their obsessions and count up how many times each was filled. Note that it counts for you if someone else is Active and fulfills your obsession.

Now, multiply the number of times you fulfilled your obsession by your obsession's rank (1, 2, or 3). That's the number of points you have. Highest number of points wins the game, and, generally speaking, is the GM of the next game of Everyone is John.

So who wants to play?

Voices and Skills
  • CraigM: Pugilism and Running
  • Kavonde "Bronn. James Bronn.": Very suave, Fist-i-cuffs, Driver
  • Daemian Lucifer: Mathematics, Jumping
  • Anster 'The Doctor': Building Stuff, Surgery
  • Swenson: Magic Tricks, Foreign Languages
  • PossiblyInsane: Chivalric Poetry, Riding, Sword combat
  • Akri: Reading heiroglyphics, good with cats
  • anaphysik: Cooking, Cleaning, Carrying Heavy Things

Now the OOC thread.
Last edited by Traiden on Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:21 am, edited 15 times in total.
swenson

Re: Hello, John.

Postby swenson » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:54 pm

This sounds interesting. I had to drop out of The Resistance (I really had forgotten about it completely), but this sounds a little less involved. (or maybe it won't be, guess we'll find out...) At any rate, at this point I'd like to jump in! I assume we're keeping Obsessions secret? That sounds much, much more entertaining. And do we have to pass them by you first to make sure they fit the ranks, or will you trust us? Finally, do we have to have one Obsession each of rank 1, 2, and 3, or can we pick any combination of three?
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:58 pm

You have to have one of each rank of obsession, and yes, you can keep it secret from the other players. I would like, however, to be mailed the obsessions so I can give them the go ahead.
CraigM

Postby CraigM » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:08 pm

Hmm sounds interesting. I'm in. I'll send a PM shortly.
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:35 pm

Ok, you are good to go Craig, you have 10 Willpower and all we need to do is wait for at the least two other people to send in a Voice.
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:42 pm

I've got a bad feeling that I'm butting up against my Maximum Amount of PbP Games I Can Do at Once, but dammit, this sounds really fun. I'll PM ya a Voice concept ASAP.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:51 pm

Hey,I wanted to do this,only I had no idea how to convert it into a forum.Im in.
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:58 pm

Cool, we can start with this many people if you guys want. Just need you to send in your Voice Daemian. Kav you start with 7 Willpower.
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:20 pm

Ok, Daemian, you have 10 Willpower and everyone has their obsessions and their skills picked out. Do you guys want to start now?
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:58 pm

Should we give Swenson a chance to make his guy first? I mean, if he's cool with jumping in later, I'm fine with starting. Just sayin'.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:16 pm

Yes,lets give him a bit more time.A day wont hurt.
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:18 pm

Ok, wait one day it is.
Anster

Postby Anster » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:33 pm

Oh hey, I actually picked it up after Auntie Paladin and blackmailed some people into running a game with me, it was fun. And it is pretty easy to get into, even for people who don't have a clue about roleplaying. We ended up randomizing skills, though, because it is pretty easy to line them up with the obsessions.

Anyway, I'm in, sending a PM. Curious as to how the PbP version will work
swenson

Postby swenson » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:06 am

She. :) Yes, I understand it's confusing.

Sorry, though, didn't realize people would jump in so quickly! I'll send a PM shortly.

Do we share our skills here, though?
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:08 am

Ah, sorry. First Rule of the Internet: always assume everyone is the same gender as you until proven otherwise.

Traiden's been editing them into the original post. So far, we've got:

CraigM: Pugilism and Running
Kavonde "Bronn. James Bronn.": Very suave, Fist-i-cuffs, Driver
Daemian Lucifer: Mathamatics, Jumping
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:04 am

I am on an odd schedule, so sorry if I dip in and out randomly. Swenson you have 10 Will and Anster you have 7 willpower. Just fix the things I asked and you are good.
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:33 pm

Anyway, to start this game up I will need everyone to bid for control of John. That means you will PM me the amount of Willpower you want to bid. I'll then give the introduction once I receive all bids and the fixes from Swenson and Anster.

Ok word from Swenson, might not be around for 24 hours.

Code: Select all

===Willpower===
CraigM:10 Kavonde:7 Daemian Lucifer:10 Anster:10 Swenson:10
swenson

Postby swenson » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:15 am

I return. I was rather worried things might move too quickly while I was gone. :)
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:42 am

Swenson, you won the bid.

Good morning, John. Or it would be a good morning if you where anyone else, but you are John, and thus, generally do not have good mornings. Or evenings but I digress.

You, John, get to wake up to the pleasant smell of miasma and feces. The small room you are in is very dark, the only thing that seems to have woken you up is the slight beam of light filtering in from a crack of the roof of where ever you are. It is too hard to see much of anything.

You can feel lumps of something poking your waist, both in and out of your pockets.

Code: Select all

===Willpower===
CraigM: 10 Kavonde: 7 Daemian Lucifer: 10 Anster: 10 Swenson: 7
Last edited by Traiden on Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anster

Postby Anster » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:08 am

Maybe we'd better edit this thread as OOC and create one for action?

By the way, I should have 10 wp, since I scrapped one skill earlier
Traiden

Re: Hello, John. The OOC thread.

Postby Traiden » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:31 pm

Goog call on making this one the OOC thread, anyway the actual thread for the game is up, hope everyone has a great time playing. Feel free to heckle the other voices here Deadpool style, but you can request information on things that John can see while it is not you in control. You all will be able to see the same things but only the one in control can get John to fight the ennui and actual do anything.
CraigM

Postby CraigM » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:25 pm

Oh sure, I can do heckling. I'm wondering if bribery is an option. I don't know that it would be a smart choice per se, but could I , for example, offer 2 willpower to Kavonde in exchange for having him drive somewhere during his turn?

Not saying I'd ever actually do that, but it's conceivable that such an occurrence could happen.
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:44 pm

I would allow that is you both agreed, there is nothing in the rules to stop that from happening. Just remember the only ways that control is exchanged is when John gets hurt or when he wakes up.
CraigM

Postby CraigM » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:56 pm

Understood.
Oh and what a crappy way for John to start his day (obvious joke is obvious)
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:05 am

CraigM wrote:Understood.
Oh and what a crappy way for John to start his day (obvious joke is obvious)

Ugh,that joke stinks.

Return to “Play-by-Post”