Hollow Shades: A My Little Pony Roleplaying Experience

Text-based gaming!
Traiden

Re: Hollow Shades: A My Little Pony Roleplaying Experience

Postby Traiden » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:01 pm

Conflict was a broad term, just wondering if you had any ideas about if two PC Ponies competed in a contest such as cupcake throwing.
krellen

Postby krellen » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:45 pm

I guess something like that might be a double contest, and the highest pair wins. Three twos beats two threes, but two threes beats two ones.

I'd have to decide what an invoked aspects count as; invoking is pretty costly, so perhaps it counts as a pair of fours or something.
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:57 pm

Sounds fair enough. Though I would make it more a pair of fives, you have both triples and quads in the mix of statistics from all the outcomes. Unless matching favors the responder. Anyway, go with what seems fair to you.
krellen

Postby krellen » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:10 pm

If someone else thinks fives is fair, then I'll go with fives. I wanted to start with fives, but didn't want to over-favour invoking.
krellen

Postby krellen » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:19 pm

So if, on a whim, I decided to just randomly update the IC thread and advance the plot (as 'twere), is anyone still paying attention enough to care?
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:25 pm

A tree falls in a forest, and I have enough microphones to hear if it makes a sound.
Akri

Postby Akri » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:15 pm

krellen wrote:So if, on a whim, I decided to just randomly update the IC thread and advance the plot (as 'twere), is anyone still paying attention enough to care?

Does Reginald Cuftbert wear a bonnet?
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:28 pm

We're still listening. Cant gurantee we'll have anything to say. Still paying attention though.
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:33 pm

I'd definitely be interested in resuming the adventures of My Little Directionless College Graduate: Ennui is Magic.
RedSun

Postby RedSun » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:27 am

If by "care", do you mean "butt in on a game that started two months ago and that I have not had any previous involvement with"? Cuz if it does, I can whip something up pretty quickly(I hadn't played a PbP before Claws and Caviar, so I was hesitant before).
Sidda

Postby Sidda » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:32 am

Hellooooo. Yes. I am still interested.
Akri

Postby Akri » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:46 am

*chanting* We want ponies! We want ponies! We want ponies!

:D
RedSun

Postby RedSun » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:20 am

Welp. Since the plot has barely started, I think its still reasonable if I pony up.
Name: Chipper "Mort" Morticus
Breed:Unicorn
Cutie Mark(not shown): A dark grey skull with vocalization lines
Special Talent: Call From Death-In certain circumstances, Mort can bring ponies back from the brink of death, or revive the dead for a very short period of time.
Honesty: 1
Loyalty: 2
Generosity: 3
Kindness: 2
Laughter: 1
Magic: 5

Born the son of a bumbling woodcarver/taxidermist, Mort learned from a young age that there was nothing to fear from operating on things long since passed. His mother’s early death, his father’s accident prone nature, and frequent “business trips” into the wilds quickly taught him there was plenty to be feared from everything else, and that sticking a knife in things only occasionally helped. Timid, but dutiful, Mort assisted his father as much as he could, gaining a decent proficiency with small blades and a healthy respect for the dead.

It was quite to his surprise, then, when he found himself predisposed to disturbing it. As a child, Mort happened upon a young sparrow that hadn't felt quite up to the challenge of its first flight, and, through sheer force of pity and magic, had managed to give it a second go. He was much less delighted by his attempt to revive the neighborhood cat, whom twisted and hissed his way out of his grave before snarling on the dirt and dying for a second time.

While traumatizing, his abilities allowed him to fill a very comfortable niche in the medical field, providing somewhat dodgy life support during emergencies, and slicing up anyone who wasn't quite so lucky. Mort tried to keep the necromantic elements of his magic a secret, but grieving widows and sobbing children were a familiar weakness, and he gave many corpses a quick pull through the veil. Unfortunately, the local authorities saw little difference between giving Lil’Sally a chance to say goodbye to Gran-Gran and consorting with the dark forces, and the resulting angry mob chased him all the way to Hollow Shades, where reanimating the skull of your forefathers is little more than a tasteless party favor.

Last edited by RedSun on Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:14 am

Mort the Necromancer Pony. That is brilliant. And the question of whether necromancy exists or not in Equestria opens up a whole realm of possibilities...

Dear Princess Celestia,

I found this book in the Star Swirl the Bearded Wing of the Canterlot Royal Library. I'm not sure what sort of material it's bound in, but somepony took the time to make it look like a bunch of screaming faces. Spooky, right? Anyway, I opened it up and started reading it, and I'm having a little trouble with the pronunciation. 'Klaatu, Verata, Niktu.' What language
is that? I've never seen anything like that anywhere in the library.

Uh-oh, looks like Pinkie Pie's upset about something. Her hair's straight and she looks pretty angry. Rarity and Applejack are trying to calm her down, but she keeps shouting about something in the forest. I'd better go check on her; if I learn anything about the magic of friendship, I'll be sure to send another letter!

Your Faithful Student,
Twilight Sparkle
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:37 am

Ok, confession time people. Most of what I know about FIM is just the first four episodes and everything else comes from a combination of Tvtropes and fanfiction. So my head cannon about things events and ponies is heavily influenced.
krellen

Postby krellen » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:43 pm

Okay, so everyone pushed the schedule about 12 hours ahead of what I had been planning. "So much to do!" should have been a sign that the party was NOT starting immediately. So when I get around to updating, I might be invalidating several folks' posts. Sorry about that.

Also, by way of explanation (not excuse), the reason my activity dropped so precipitously is simple: on May 31st, we had 11 people working the help desk. On June 3, we had 6.
Akri

Postby Akri » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:58 pm

Ouch, that sucks. As someone who has worked in a place that was chronically understaffed, I feel your pain.
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:33 pm

Ouch, I really feel for you man.

I think My post is time neutral enough for it to be 12 hours before anything happens. I am in a dark tent tending to growing mushrooms. Not a thing that happens quickly.
krellen

Postby krellen » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:01 pm

People making references to dark aren't a problem - about the only time Hollow Shades gets sun is high noon, in the brief period it is out of the shade of the mountains that flank it.
RedSun

Postby RedSun » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:21 pm

Doy. In retrospect, that was pretty obvious. I'll edit my post.
krellen

Postby krellen » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:31 pm

I think I found a way to fix the discrepancies between my expectations and everyone else's. Hopefully it works!

Oh, and by the way, game's back on.
krellen

Postby krellen » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:59 pm

Is there something I can do to make this game not be dead? I don't want this game to be dead.
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:22 am

Aww. I feel the same way. Unfortunately, I feel like the causes are out of our control.

The MLP community grew up in no small part due to Hasbro allowing their show to be uploaded to Youtube without limitation. Since that has ended (for reasons I won't go into) it has become much more difficult to watch the show, and consequently the community has died off to a fair degree. The decreased interest may be a result of this, and I don't know that there's anything you can do about it.

Personally, I feel like my interest has cooled to a great degree. I was mostly looking forward to facilitating my daughter(s) role-playing, but they too have moved on to other interests. I don't think they are old enough to properly abstract the sense of self at this stage.

I'd be willing to join back in without them. My main hesitation at this point is I'm unsure as to the mood and setting. Hollow Shades seems like a rather "goth" (for lack of a better term) location, for which I don't have a very good reference from the series. Lacking further direction, I'm going to think of it as Miho's (from Megatokyo) home-town. A place where Princess Luna could really relax and let herself be herself, nightmare night style.

I might be way off base though, and I certainly haven't been the most active participant to-date, so feel free to disagree with my assessment of the situation.
RedSun

Postby RedSun » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:35 am

krellen wrote:Is there something I can do to make this game not be dead? I don't want this game to be dead.

Plot(No, not that kind).

Just make something happen. I, and I don't think I'm the only one here, have been waiting for something that my character can react to. I don't know what you want me to do otherwise.

I'll be here. I'm in an RP group with Akri(who I just skyped, and she said she might be down if she can make a new character) and Kavonde, who I'm certain I can coax back(If I'd even need to).

Have the festival start. Have Trixie show up and start burning things. Have an earthquake. I don't know, just give me something to work with and I'm there.

Return to “Play-by-Post”