DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Steve C

Re: DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Postby Steve C » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:32 am

That reasoning makes it worse in my eyes.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:54 am

Steve C wrote:That reasoning makes it worse in my eyes.

How so? Easily 95% of what we know about the character, whats great about him and his supporting cast and all that is other writers and artists or its the work Siegel and Shuster did for hire for DC. They only had the most basic sketch and concept. And the estate is keeping it all tied up decades after the deaths of the creators. Superman keeps getting jerked around so that the real creators who are making the real contributions struggle to get things going with him.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:22 am

It's worse because apparently DC lost the copyrights to Superman in 2013. I'm going to assume that it is a valid claim, and this is a circumvention technique. Which case DC needs to put on their big boy pants, suck it up and pay royalties as the courts said they should. DC is effectively making a counterfeit product by changing it. (And the consensus is that the red trunks matter.) DC is a company that has actively lobbied for the extension and expansion of copyright. (I'm against all of that, especially the retroactive nonsense.) Years ago DC screwed over the creators and didn't give them a fair cut. Now their estates have them by the underwear. Lie in the bed you made DC.

DC did win the larger battle. Note that outside the US there are laws entrenching "author rights" that cannot be sold, transferred or impinged. Outside of the US the copyright would have expired. Outside of the US, DC would not be able to change Superman's trunks. Outside the US, what copyrights exist, DC owns fully.

Superman should be straight up public domain. DC should consider themselves lucky.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:01 am

Steve C wrote: Note that outside the US there are laws entrenching "author rights" that cannot be sold, transferred or impinged.

So they're limiting the creator's ability to make money off his product. If I make something and I want to make money off it I have to keep creating for it rather than selling it, making a last bit of cash and turning my attention elsewhere. This would reduce the value of my creation because I can't give anyone else exclusive access to my creation.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:25 am

No. Look it up if you want to know more. Don't just make up crap.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:05 am

Copyright is one of those things that got really warped from what it originally meant to be.The point of having actual judges in court is not "sometimes laws are unambiguous".You can make that shit to be 100% unambiguous and simply punish everyone for straying a tiny bit from the letter of the law.The point of judges(and jury,when present) is to uphold the spirit of the law.And the spirit of copyright law is to make it so that creative people can benefit from their creative ideas,and prevent malicious people from profiting by simply parading someone elses idea.But,like with everything,once money got involved,the whole shebang morphed into this...thing,that benefits corporations and not the people,that serves to propagate money and not creativity.

So to me,Id rather have those that draw superman be embarrassed by his overunderwear than this.When comedians* I like change their routine because they thought it was harmful,it annoys me,but at least I can respect that their opinions on the world simply differ from mine.When they do it to appease the law,I have no respect for that law,because it stems from greed and nothing else.

*I use comedians here because thats where I encounter such a change the most.Same applies to any creative person.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:42 am

After a long wait,I finally got me some ham.And boy was it deliciously hammy.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:09 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:After a long wait,I finally got me some ham.And boy was it deliciously hammy.

Oh is it finally back??

It's a public holiday in Australia today so I'm not going to be home until late at night but this will be first on my list of things to do tomorrow!

Sounds like it was worth the wait?
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:36 am

Ah the good ol' "In the future I am emo".

Wait...Could it be that savitar is ronnie?I mean I expected it was one of the core group(probably barry or julian),but why not bringing someone back from the dead?They do it rather often.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed May 03, 2017 4:23 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Ah the good ol' "In the future I am emo".

And emo is the ultimate evil.Never go full emo.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Thu May 18, 2017 1:48 pm

Bad idea Barry strikes yet again. I'm kind of surprised they finally did it. They finally killed Iris. Very surprising because it was a switcheroo. The real victim was HR using the disguise wand. Which is why the first part of the episode existed.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu May 18, 2017 2:30 pm

Steve C wrote:Which is why the first part of the episode existed.

Nah,the true reason for the first part is snart.Because snart is cool.Everything else is just secondary.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Mon May 22, 2017 1:32 am

I have avoided this thread for some time because there is just nothing interesting to say about Flash, Arrow or Gotham. I am finding these last few episodes to be lack-lustre and/or full of ridiculous plot devices and overall terrible writing.

HOWEVER, I am really looking forward to Arrow's finale this week. It's not that I think it will be a good episode or a satisfying end to the season story, but Deathstroke. It's all about Deathstroke.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue May 23, 2017 6:04 am

Andrew wrote:I have avoided this thread for some time because there is just nothing interesting to say about Flash

Not true,there was snart.Snart is interesting.

As for gotham,the ham between penguin and riddler was glorious.And lee is such an idiot.

Best line however was the silly "Im not a cop,Im a butler".
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Wed May 24, 2017 3:23 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:And lee is such an idiot..

Yes, they have absolutely ruined her character. It's at the point where I just don't see redemption for her no matter what. Better to let her leave and never come back.

As for Flash...

... I believe I said months ago they would never actually kill Iris and what do you know?!

Shit, that was awful finale. Full of plot holes, terrible character decisions, and the bad kind of cheese. I DO, however, like that they kept Killer Frost as Killer Frost, to a certain extent. Turning her back to Caitlin Snow would have ruined seasons worth of character development. I wonder whether Julian and/or Tracy will be part of the regular cast next season as a result. Looks like we have Harry back next season at least. I am very happy about that. I never bought into the HR character, as charming as he was.

Probably the only thing I liked about it, in the end, was the hook for next season. Does Wally have what it takes to be the Flash? Does he have what it takes to carry this show?? How long before they bring Barry back. I estimate no more than 3 episodes. 4 if they are brave. I am very curious how they go about running a season of Flash where the bad guy isn't a speedster.

My hope for superhero closure now lies with Arrow, tomorrow. I am not optimistic.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed May 24, 2017 4:15 am

I watched a great finale of a time traveling story a couple of days ago,so this lackluster one doesnt bother me.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Wed May 24, 2017 5:26 am

Heh, I see what you did there.

I've still only seen 2 episodes.. :P
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Fri May 26, 2017 7:30 am

Well that Arrow finale was so much better than Flash. At least twice as good.

Deathstroke was the difference although in general it was just a fun and enjoyable episode.

Not buying into that cliffhanger though. Not for a second.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri May 26, 2017 12:26 pm

Andrew wrote:Not buying into that cliffhanger though. Not for a second.

But there were BIG BOMBS all over the island!And they were all stuck ON THE OTHER SIDE of the island from the boat!Theres NO WAY that anyone survived that INFERNO!!!!!!

Yeah,it was stupid.Shouldve just killed the kid.That way there wouldve been at least some drama in that end scene.

The modern stuff was ok,its the past that events that were completely superfluous.We already knew the end to that one,so it was just pointless filler.Though it had Dolph Lundgren in it,so I cant begrudge it too much.

But still,better than flash.And definitely not as good as the monkeys.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Sun May 28, 2017 1:34 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:But there were BIG BOMBS all over the island!And they were all stuck ON THE OTHER SIDE of the island from the boat!Theres NO WAY that anyone survived that INFERNO!!!!!!

A part of me thinks that this is the writers acknowledging that everything Lian Yu related was just horrible in the first 5 seasons and this is their way of saying they'll never go back there.

If only they could have just a better way to do it.

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Yeah,it was stupid.Shouldve just killed the kid.That way there wouldve been at least some drama in that end scene.

Agree. The show isn't going to last long enough for it to be about Ollie & Son anyway.

Aside from that I hope they find a way to work Deathstroke into the regular lineup next season. Or, better yet, add him to the cast of Legends of Tomorrow! I would love to see that dynamic.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue May 30, 2017 3:03 pm

A bold ending to the episode of ham.I like it.I also like jims dilemma.Even though I still consider how we got to it to be super idiotic.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:57 pm

So Superman has been merged with his New 52 self, not just merging their persons but also their personal histories. So far:

Looks like a lot of the Dan Jurgens run (late 80's to 1998) is canon again. Jurgens has been writing the old Superdad version of Superman so this makes sense. They also pull a bit from the movies. Superman's first meeting with Lois is the classic helicopter scene from Superman 1978.
Death of Superman happened.
Ma and Pa Kent are still dead looks like.

Superman is still a father, Jon is a part of this universe now. Looks like Clark and Lois had their career at the Daily Planet, fell in love, got married, had Jon and moved out to the countryside for some reason to coincide with the stories we saw of our multiverse refugee Lois and Clark living undercover. He wore the original costume with the modesty briefs went through a phase of wearing the New 52 armor, then went back to tights sans briefs (I like that they've continued to work on the belt, his mid region felt underdesigned without the briefs and belt, there's some supposition that the briefs may return for Action Comics 1000).

His New 52 romantic relationship with Wonder Woman is either nonexistent or happened much further back in his timeline. We haven't gotten clarification yet. Jon is 10 years old and was born to a married Lois and Clark so if WW is recent, then he had an affair or a separation from Lois and that would really be bad for his character. Superman is not supposed to be that modern.

This also creates some problems for the rest of New 52 as most of the characters are younger (5 to 10 years younger) with shorter histories than was the case before. So suddenly Superman would have to have been active for quite a while prior to pretty much anybody aside from Batman showing up. Batman got to keep his history in New 52 all along but operated in "urban legend" mode till other superheros started showing up (I think). But there are indications that similar things will be happening to other heroes. Apparently everyone had a decade stolen from them.

Flash had a story about a male stalker that turned into a PSA. I'd just like to note that sometimes women do actually egg men on. I dated a woman who confessed this to me and told me about how she and her friends loved to brag about the men who they got obsessed with them. I thought this was her confessing and turning over a new leaf, but then she bailed on me and tried to pull the same stunt. A few unreturned phone calls was enough for me.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:13 am

Im not sure if I want to watch season four of gotham.Not because the show is bad,quite the opposite.But because the ending to season three ties everything in a perfect little bow.Its a great place to end the prequel,and Im not sure if there should be anything past it.A spinoff maybe,or a proper batman continuation.But the show has reached a perfect point for an actual end of a prequel.

Though,if the crew remains mostly the same,they still can make a good season four as well.There were a few stumbling blocks here and there,but overall I like this season.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:45 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Im not sure if I want to watch season four of gotham.Not because the show is bad,quite the opposite.But because the ending to season three ties everything in a perfect little bow.Its a great place to end the prequel,and Im not sure if there should be anything past it.A spinoff maybe,or a proper batman continuation.But the show has reached a perfect point for an actual end of a prequel.

Though,if the crew remains mostly the same,they still can make a good season four as well.There were a few stumbling blocks here and there,but overall I like this season.

I haven't had my weekly serve of ham yet (and a double serving at that!) but your comments make me mostly nervous...
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:18 pm

I really enjoyed Wonder Woman. I have renewed hope for the future of the DCEU franchise.

Starting with the looks, Dr Poison had a cool semi-plausible supervillain look with the porcelain part of her face.

I also really liked that the Amazons looked like hard women who could handle themselves in a fight. Maybe its because they were mostly around each other and thus they never had a man to stand next to to make them look smaller but they looked like hardened warriors.

I can buy that a 90 pound waif of a woman can win a fight but not the way they win them in movies where they're doing the same moves as the 250 pound men they're fighting. They're breaking the laws of physics and it just doesn't look real.

But the amazons with their tall muscular bodies and hoplite fighting style and badass (like really badass) horseback archery, there wasn't a single moment of that I had trouble believing. It was plausible that these women were able to put up a good show against a force with superior weapons (I'll buy that their shields were bullet proof. This is Themyscira vs WW1 weaponry).

Diana was adorably naive without being at all even slightly an idiot. She knows a lot, she just doesn't know much of anything about Man's world so its plausible that this woman with the Wisdom of Athena could make so many mistakes and then turn around and have lots of sharp observations. She had a great arc adopting a more adult view of how the world works. Steve Trevor had a lot to offer her there as the person who's lived in Man's World and more importantly lived through the Great War.

I also like how warm she is . . . <sharp inhale> WHY COULDN'T THEY HAVE WRITTEN SUPERMAN THIS WAY? They pull off a trick we haven't seen since Captain America where the nice pollyanna is canny and likable. You could say this movie is a bit of a ripoff of Captain America but thats not a sin. Its its own movie and Superhero period pieces so far have been pretty awesome (Wonder Woman, Captain America, XMen First Class, Days of Future Past, Whatever the next one was)

Fire Zach Snyder from everything forever, beat him with a baseball bat till he's Superman Blue. And give the DCEU to Patty Jenkins and Geoff Johns.

EDIT: The Sam Raimi Spiderman also feels like a period piece even though its technically modern day.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”