DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Daemian Lucifer

Re: DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:23 am

*annihilates a helicopter with the pilot still inside without batting an eye*
"Tina,dont kill.Killing is bad mkay."

Andrew wrote:They even called her Dinah Drake.

Well she was the original canary in the comics,with laurel being her daughter with detective lance.So this makes sense.

Andrew wrote:I still have The 100, The Expanse and Legends to watch. All these shows are out now and I have so little time...

You should watch magicians before all of those.Here,let me give you one very minor side plot that happens in season 2:in the magical world of fillory(basically narnia),one of the quests a hero gets to do is
gather manure in order to grow crops.Its such a wonderfully absurd mix of magic and reality that it is a delight to watch.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:03 am

Ohh Black Flash sighting in Legends.

Nice.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:38 am

A lot of volume 1's for DC Rebirth has been coming out lately. So far I have picked up Green Arrow and Flash.

I wanted to get Batman and All Star Batman but both were out of stock when I went in.

And I will also eventually pick up Justice League.

Considering Nightwing and Detective Comics too but my wallet is screaming at me to stop as it is. Also considering Titans but the lovey dovey feel I got out of issues 1 and 2 is giving me 2nd thoughts.

Batman/Flash crossover coming in April. This is the first DC crossover event I have been excited for in many, many years.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:06 am

The next gotham episode is how riddler got his name?Hell yeah!And its going to air in april.What??What kind of shitty scheduling is that???

Ah,the flash.Those dudes were fast as lightning.Even though no one was kung fu fighting.Im more looking forward to the next episode though.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:35 am

I've been away. I'm back now and all caught up on DC shows.

In a word:

Gotham - Stupid (in reference to the totally pointless scheduling)
Flash - Filler
Arrow - Dull (we barely got to see Canary at all)
Legends - Blah

This week's Flash looks like it will be lots of fun. I miss Harry.

There were a couple of Green Lantern easter eggs in the Arrow episode though. As much as I would love to see it, I'm not sure a Green Lantern TV series could fit into CW's budget.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:46 am

Huh, no Flash or Legends this week.

That's disappointing.

In Comic-book related DC news, I recently purchased volume 1 of Green Arrow and Flash. Haven't read Flash yet (although I had already flicked through about half the issues as they were released) but man Green Arrow was great! The art is not my favourite style but the writing has a real Green Arrow feel to it that N52 Green Arrow just didn't have. I will probably have to continue with this one.

I also have Superman and Superman: Action Comics on back order (I don't think AC is even out yet) after hearing just so many good things about both.

And I am really looking forward to All Star Batman hitting the shelves in March (or May - an M month, for sure). I have purposely not spoiled myself on any of the released issues so I'll be going in on this one blind.... which is fine when my man Scott Snyder is the lead author.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:58 am

Heeeyy.. a political episode of Arrow and it wasn't half bad either.

They sat on the fence on the issue at the end, but I guess that was the only sensible choice available to them.

Getting Wild Dog's origin story was nice, but it doesn't make me like him any more than usual (which isn't a lot).
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:43 pm

Curtis was right in what he said about debates.

As for the episode,I really like the name of the bill they chose in the end.Because its exactly the kind of a stupid,misleading name real politicians would choose for such a thing.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:40 am

New flash today.That early scene with hr and jesse was nice.

So,they got their hands on some new cgi software,and they went waaaaaaay overboard with it.Animated blood even.I mean it was nice at first,but then it went way overboard.

"You never planned to let us go"

Andrew

Postby Andrew » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:57 pm

My in-laws have been staying with us for the past week and the end result is I'm extremely far behind on all my TV shows.

I only just managed to watch last week's Flash and Arrow last night.

Flash was ok. Actually, no, it was kind of really disappointing for all the hype that it had. I don't really understand the part where gorillas take over humans to speak through them since they can obviously speak to each person telepathically just fine but whatever. The fight between Flash and Solivar was a bit of a letdown but perhaps the most disappointing part was how insanely easy it was for them to escape. Anyway, hopefully yesterday's episode (which I will watch sometime today) was better.

Arrow was complete trash. I mean, I'm glad they've put the story with Oliver and his girlfriend to rest (at least, I hope they have) but other than I'm not seeing much to keep me interested. The stuff with Oliver's impeachment that is obviously planned for today is.... well.... isn't this a superhero show? Hopefully he actually gets impeached and can go back to being a full time superhero.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:06 am

Andrew wrote:Arrow was complete trash.

Thea was great.They need more thea.And she needs to smack oliver over the head for being such a douche to her.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:20 pm

Heeeyy.. a political episode of Arrow

Thats all I ever needed to know about that show.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:04 am

Wow,that was the stupidest reason to break up a couple Ive ever seen.I wonder if tv will ever portray a realistic romance.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:00 pm

"This is just straight up illegal"

And the dumbest line of the day goes to curtis.Well done man,you are doing heck of a job in making douche queen not look like the most hypocritical one on the show.

I also love how the show tries to portray helping criminals in russia as something completely fine,while criminals in the usa are the bad guys*.Even though we saw those russian criminals straight up murdering people,while these guys are shown only hacking.Their biggest crime so far is being basically just a wikileaks proxy.Absolutely nothing wrong can be read into that,nope,nothing at all.

*Thats only if we focus on this season,and not going into what argus was doing in the earlier ones.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:02 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Wow,that was the stupidest reason to break up a couple Ive ever seen.I wonder if tv will ever portray a realistic romance.

It was terrible.

"I love you and I'm afraid you're going to die soon... and that's why I have to leave you..."

Puh-leeaassee...

I really like Arrow although I am not completely sold on Talia being so against Oliver. Yes, he killed her father, but what was conveniently left out is that that was what R'as wanted!

The team is much better without Rory. And Curtis is starting to hit his strides as a superhero. Wild Dog still needs to go, though.

And whatever happened to Artemis? It's like she betrayed Oliver because she wants to kill him but now she's mysteriously disappeared. Maybe Prometheus locked her in her room for throwing a tantrum or something...
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:03 pm

Also I just realised today that Gotham still has a few episodes to go in its current season. It has been off the airways for far too long...
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:07 pm

Andrew wrote:I really like Arrow although I am not completely sold on Talia being so against Oliver. Yes, he killed her father, but what was conveniently left out is that that was what R'as wanted!

Like she said:She and her father disagreed on much,but she still cared for him.Its understandable.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:27 am

Once more with feeling this certainly was not.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:35 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Once more with feeling this certainly was not.

That's a Buffy episode, right? It's the only reference I can find online.

So was the Buffy episode good or bad?

I really liked this one, but I am generally in the pro-musical camp so that's not unexpected.

Gustin and Benoist have excellent chemistry together.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:15 am

Andrew wrote:So was the Buffy episode good or bad?

It was really good.I like musicals.Good musicals.Thats why I hated this episode.Ive ranted more about it in the music thread.
krellen

Postby krellen » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:29 pm

Once More With Feeling wasn't just random songs. Every song advanced the plot in some way - introducing the dilemma, bringing up lingering threads from previous episodes, pushing things to the surface for future episodes. And it even hung a lampshade on this, as the singing demon revealed that was the point of his evil.

I haven't seen the CW crossover musical, but all I've heard has suggested it wasn't any of that.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:08 am

The general consensus here, that I'm getting, is that I should really just Buffy. I will add it to the list I suppose. I mean, singing demons? What's not to love!!!

While I'm at it, I'm not sure how I feel about Arrow. The parts in Russia (Ie, 85% of the episode) actually felt like a shortened version of Logan, with all the blood and unnecessary death. Problem is, I'm not sure if that made it good or bad. I mean, it took all 3 minutes to figure out that Chase wanted Oliver to confess to being a serial killer who enjoyed his work. We, the public, have known this since season 1 - did it really need a 42 minutes episode to draw it out of his mouth? Or was it all so that they could show the final Russia scenes in one fell swoop?

Either way. At least the series is headed in a somewhat interesting direction. I mean, Kovar is still alive - wuuuttt? If it weren't for the fact that he were Russian, I'd almost assume he was Vigilante.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:36 am

Andrew wrote:The general consensus here, that I'm getting, is that I should really just Buffy. I will add it to the list I suppose. I mean, singing demons? What's not to love!!!

They also have an episode where no one speaks a word(demons that mute people),because people were saying how the show is popular only due to the silly Whedon's dialogue.That episode also ended up being amongst the best ones.So yeah,you should definitely buffy.

Andrew wrote:The parts in Russia (Ie, 85% of the episode) actually felt like a shortened version of Logan, with all the blood and unnecessary death.

I find it hilarious how they keep trying to portray the mob as the good guys.For fucks sake,those are people who deal in murder,extortion and kidnapping.They are not the good guys just because they have an oath and hierarchy.

What was the point of evelyn?

And while the whole thing was dragging,I have to admit that oliver actually admitting that he has a lust for murder is the first time I actually liked the character.I hope they do something new with it,but Im doubtful.

Andrew wrote:Kovar is still alive - wuuuttt? If it weren't for the fact that he were Russian, I'd almost assume he was Vigilante.

Well,you dont hire Dolph Lundgren for just a single episode.You have to spread him out.I also find it ridiculous how he keeps being cast as russian despite obviously knowing not a single word of the language.

Tangentially,how come Arnold got cast as a scientist,twice,but Dolph didnt?
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Well, most of the questions that were hanging out there about Superman in the comics have been resolved but also replaced with new questions.

Superman and Lois have been folded into the Universe and essentially blended with New 52 Superman and Lois. The world knows Lois and Clark as a couple who have been married long enough to have their ten year old son Jon. The secret identity is restored. The Clark Kent who had been running around was Mr Mxyzptlk for reasons that aren't worth getting into. Like it was part of a revenge plot but he also fixed Superman's secret identity problem by introducing the world to a Clark Kent who isn't Superman and explicitly acknowledges that.

This means there have been substantial changes to New 52. Previously Superman had only been active for a little over 5 years. Now he has a ten year old son with Lois so either he worked at the Daily Planet for years before becoming Superman or he married Lois years before the Daily Planet or the world has now known Superman for over 10 years instead of five. Which is confusing because none of the comics have actually rebooted.

This reminds me of One More Day where they massively overhauled Peter Parker but not the rest of the world. Its essentially the same set of problems. Even if everybody "forgot" stuff still happened. How much did the universe change? What stories are still valid? Was Wonder Woman single for the last however long? Why didn't anybody tell me? All this time I felt it would be wrong to get a WW waifu pillow because Superman is my bro.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:57 pm

Learned something weird about Superman. They stopped putting him in the red briefs a while back. I thought they were embarrassed at them and decided to remove them so he'd seem less dorky to new audiences and this made me irritated with DC.

Turns out, this all goes back to the Siegel and Shuster lawsuit. This saga has been ongoing for decades. Siegel and Shuster didn't part on the best terms with DC and they felt their creative work has been exploited. I don't know myself.

What I do know is that this has had a number of effects over the years. Siegel and Shuster now get mandatory "created by" credits and this is now industry standard. Superboy has been a contentious issue as well. At one point, DC retconned the part of Superman's history where he'd been Superboy while the lawsuit was still out. They later introduced a teenaged clone of Superman with a Totally Radical costume design (you might remember the shades and the leather jacket). But the lawsuit went after him too so they had to kill him off. Then it was ruled that Superboy the teenage clone of Superman was distinct from Superboy, Superman as a teenager.

Well apparently, the change in character design for New 52 is in some way motivated by the lawsuit. They removed the cleft from his chin, the 'S' curl from his hair, gave him a different brasher personality, put him in armor.

And yes, they removed the briefs because of the lawsuit.

Apparently this has all been settled now which is why Superman Reborn restores most of the familiar elements of the character. But alas, the red briefs are a casualty of the legal battle. That's right, DC is forbidden from putting Superman in red modesty briefs without paying the Siegel and Shuster estates for the right to do so.

http://insidepulse.com/2017/04/16/dc-co ... y-into-it/

Personally, I'm relieved to know that they didn't do it out of contempt for the classic corny elements of Superman. It kind of makes me happy to hear that they were forced to, that someone at DC still gets it.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”