DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Andrew

Re: DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Postby Andrew » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:39 pm

Flash - I liked it. Disappointed that Cold was nothing more than a gimmick but other than that I liked it. Loved Jesse Quick's costume and wish she could stay around for a few more episodes. The stuff with Caitlin is only mildly interesting; for me, it's all about whether she turns evil or not. Oh and the stuff with HR looks like it could be fun although yeah, if he turns out to be evil....

Arrow - Was pretty good too. Still don't like Wild Dog but liking Evelyn Sharp more and more (what was her code name? Artemis? I guess...). The stuff with Rory felt a little too quick - is all the drama between he and Felicity basically over now? I never watched Buffy - what happened in season 6?

Gotham - I'm 2 (maybe 3) episodes behind. The last one I saw ended with Barnes walking RIGHT UNDER the infected blood like a total moron.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:25 pm

All caught up on Gotham. I like the Gordon-Vale-Lee triangle although I really wish they had made it so that when Jim chose Vale it was what he actually meant. When both Vale and Lee said they "knew" what Jim was doing, it felt like a bit of a back track. I guess it also means that we're going to get more Jim and Lee and, eventually, a broken off engagement.

The Penguin/Riddler dynamic is really strange. I don't understand the introduction of not-Miss Kringle. It just didn't really need it as far as I am concerned.

And Bruce/Selina? Heh, cute.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:57 am

Andrew wrote:All caught up on Gotham. I like the Gordon-Vale-Lee triangle although I really wish they had made it so that when Jim chose Vale it was what he actually meant. When both Vale and Lee said they "knew" what Jim was doing, it felt like a bit of a back track. I guess it also means that we're going to get more Jim and Lee and, eventually, a broken off engagement.

Thats why I dont like it.Too predictable,and it adds nothing to the story.Especially because vale survived.

Andrew wrote:I don't understand the introduction of not-Miss Kringle.

Its stupid.I thought it was a hallucination,but nope.I thought it was a ruse,but nope.It really is just some random girl,for no reason.It basically boils down to a "fuck you" to the audience who cheers for the penguin/riddler pairing.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:41 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Thats why I dont like it.Too predictable,and it adds nothing to the story.Especially because vale survived.

You can tell they are setting it up for Jim and Lee to get back together.

When Lee told Jim about her engagement and he was all "yeah, I already know, congratulations" her reaction was that of someone who wanted a different reaction from Jim. She was positively love spurned.

I'm not looking forward to this part of Gotham. Of all the relationships, theirs was the one that made the least sense. Even Bruce and Selina have a healthier relationship!

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Its stupid.I thought it was a hallucination,but nope.I thought it was a ruse,but nope.It really is just some random girl,for no reason.It basically boils down to a "fuck you" to the audience who cheers for the penguin/riddler pairing.

Yeah because at first it seemed like they were going down the path of radical, homosexual, relationship between Ed and Penguin - that would have been perfect - but it almost feels now like they backed out of it at the last second hence non-Ms Kringle being introduced.

A reviewer I read (forget which, maybe Den of Geek) hypothesised that it was actually Butch still trying to break Ed and Penguin up. That would be insulting. I don't think it's true though.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:45 am

Aside from that, caught up on Flash and Arrow as well.

Flash - Don't like what they did with the whole HR story. I hope there's more to it than simply he's a fraud. The Barry/Malfoy (because he'll always be Malfoy to me) relationship is paying real dividends. Seems real and not forced. I have a theory that when Caitlin goes full Killer Frost, Malfoy will eventually be the one who replaces her on Team Flash.

Arrow - Bit of a meh episode. I get that it was supposed to endear us to Wild Dog. But nope - nothing. I was more excited about Diggle being back than anything else. My theory on Arrow is that Prometheus is the DA Oliver has been working with. Don't know why, just a hunch.

Oh and I just found out that Lexa Doig has been cast as Talia Al Ghul. That is awesome for 2 reasons. 1 - Talia is a great character, if done properly. 2 - Lexa Doig is a great actress!
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:25 am

Andrew wrote:Don't like what they did with the whole HR story.

I like it because it was not something you would expect from wells.You expect him to be a master manipulator,or a benevolent genius.But a corporate fraud?That was funny.

Andrew wrote:(because he'll always be Malfoy to me)

Ooooh,so that why he looked so familiar.I did not make the connection.

Andrew wrote:Arrow - Bit of a meh episode.

Do the arrow drinking game then.Take a drink every time GA shoots a mook instead of the big bad who is right there.Drink every time someone feels guilty(or talks about feeling guilty)for even the most banal of reasons.Take a drink every time artemis just stands there.Take a drink every time rags doesnt do anything meaningful despite having power to single handedly take care of every single thug in the city.Youll be so drunk by the 20 minute mark that you wont even know whats going on.

Also,tv torture* always feels so lame.Ooo,this guy took some beating and did not break.So whats it going to take to break him?The bad guy is saying that it will be something new.Oh,its more beating.Yay....Directors,watch ramsay bolton in game of thrones** to see how actual torture is supposed to look like.Like church said,its not about the pain.

*Movie torture isnt any better either most of the time.
**Or heck,watch some star trek.Tng and ds9 both had some nasty tortures in them.With no blood and gore even.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:41 am

Well Ill be damned.The arrow has actually managed to interest me in its story and its villain.This is new territory for me,I have no idea how to react.I mean,I like malcolm merlyn,but thats because Im a Barrowman fan,not because the character was actually interesting.But this,taking a character I actually liked before,and weaving an interesting plot around him...well done arrow,well done.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:26 pm

It was good, wasn't it?

I don't think it's actually him though - that feels too easy (and since when has he had those kinds of skills?). But either way, it's definitely a solid arc. Unlike the rest of the episode, which was pretty much just another bout of "I can't believe Oliver wasn't honest with us".

There's a popular rumour at the moment that it's actually Tommy Merlyn revived via the events of Flashpoint.

I'm also just about to sit down to watch this week's episode of Gotham - so I'll have more to say soon!
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:42 pm

Andrew wrote:I don't think it's actually him though

Its him.At least in body.So mind control,or possession,or something like that.

Andrew wrote:"I can't believe Oliver wasn't honest with us".

It was funny to see them calling him a hypocrite and his defense was "Well...uh...shut up!".

Andrew wrote:I'm also just about to sit down to watch this week's episode of Gotham - so I'll have more to say soon!

Ah,the punnisher episode.It was good.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:55 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:
Andrew wrote:I don't think it's actually him though

Its him.At least in body.So mind control,or possession,or something like that.

It still feels too easy. Especially with Church already dead and it being only episode 6. But I guess we'll see!

Just finished Gotham. Funny you refer to Punisher when all I keep seeing is Judge Dredd! Either way - apples and oranges.

I still don't understand the value of bringing in not-Ms Kringle. I don't believe for a second she's dead, but I don't understand it.

No Bruce or Selina this week and Barbara's appearance felt a little forced.

Also, the guy playing Mad Hatter looks exactly like my brother in law. Not sure if I've said that before. It's weird and funny all at the same time.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:05 am

Andrew wrote: Funny you refer to Punisher when all I keep seeing is Judge Dredd!

That too has crossed my mind.Apparently,he is the judge,a villain from the cartoons.Fitting.

Andrew wrote:Also, the guy playing Mad Hatter looks exactly like my brother in law.

Wait...so you are married to alice?Dont let her near any knives,or youll turn into a superhuman monster as well.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:10 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Wait...so you are married to alice?Dont let her near any knives,or youll turn into a superhuman monster as well.

I wish!!

I also wish that they would just end the Gordon/Lee story already. I don't even care how it ends. Just end it!!!
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:03 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:but thats because Im a Barrowman fan

I only just saw this - or rather, it only just clicked with what you said - but if you like Barrowman (and I agree, he's great) you should watch Legends.

He is slated to be part of the Legion of Doom this season. And that's not even really a spoiler because it's pretty common knowledge at this point. Granted, he hasn't shown up yet and it's up to episode 6 (of 17).
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:43 am

There's a short (very short) trailer for the Supergirl/Arrow/Flash/Legends crossover starting in 2 weeks time.

It doesn't really give anything away but seeing the cast of 4 superhero shows in the same room? I'm a little excited.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:58 am

Damn you Assante,youve destroyed drama forever!

Gotham was such a fun ride this time,with lots of funny moments(One THOUSAND dollars!)and some nice drama(the car ride was so good).
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:43 am

Haven't see Gotham yet but I just want to say that Tom Cavanagh and Carlos Valdes have such good chemistry.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:07 am

Ha. Guyver makes an appearance on Flash!

It's an excellent costume, even though it's nothing like the comics.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:03 pm

Still following Superman and the Titans. While I like the tone shift Johns spearheaded in Rebirth with the emphasis on hope and friendship and stuff, Titans is seriously overdoing it. They have a conversation once an issue specifically about what great friends they all are and how much they support each other.

Show don't tell, please. I'd love to have a "we're great friends moment" in every issue but not if that moment is them specifically talking about it. It reminds me of that moment in Ron Burgundy where he kills the moment by calling it out.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:10 am

More convinced than I've ever been that Lance is not Prometheus.

Vigilante is obviously the DA (they have the same voice!). With the Punisher on Netflix and Barnes from Gotham and now this guy, it seems that vigilantes who kill bad guys as part of their MO is the current flavour of the month.

The Evelyn Sharp reveal was interesting but completely out of left field. Obviously that's the point of a twist but they also need to explain it properly so I hope they don't fail at that later on.

I wonder how long it takes Curties to apply his face mask. Because it seems to me that when they have an emergency Curtis would need AT LEAST 5 mins to get that stuff on.

Seeing Diggle with his son was nice. I wonder what happens to his son after the crossover event in a few weeks time. I am still of the opinion that the timeline gets 'fixed'.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:48 am

Andrew wrote:Vigilante is obviously the DA (they have the same voice!). With the Punisher on Netflix and Barnes from Gotham and now this guy, it seems that vigilantes who kill bad guys as part of their MO is the current flavour of the month.

Except it was done so poorly here.With punisher,we have this huge talk about whose methods are correct,and he specifically never harms a civilian,to show us that he still wants to be a good guy,but road to hell and all of that.With the judge,he is infected,and he is against someone who crossed that same line on his own,so they have a great clash,resolved only through jims remorse.But here?"Those civilians were just collateral damage".Screw you writers!Oliver "only I am allowed to kill" queen must never be put in his place.Such a lame cop out.

Andrew wrote:I wonder how long it takes Curties to apply his face mask. Because it seems to me that when they have an emergency Curtis would need AT LEAST 5 mins to get that stuff on.

He has an inked T on a table and he just stamps his face on it when needed.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:16 pm

Wide And Nerdy wrote:Still following Superman and the Titans. While I like the tone shift Johns spearheaded in Rebirth with the emphasis on hope and friendship and stuff, Titans is seriously overdoing it. They have a conversation once an issue specifically about what great friends they all are and how much they support each other.

Show don't tell, please. I'd love to have a "we're great friends moment" in every issue but not if that moment is them specifically talking about it. It reminds me of that moment in Ron Burgundy where he kills the moment by calling it out.

Totally agree on Titans. I read the 1st three or four issues and while the 1st (or 2nd, I forget) was understandably touchy feely with Wally reconnecting with the Titans the rest of it after that has just felt... unnecessary. I've since stopped reading it.

How is Superman playing out? Has the N52 Superman stuff been resolved? I've never read Superman but I'm curious how they approach this. I was hoping they would deal with it on Justice League (which I am reading) but they haven't really yet in the few issues I've read.

Batman has been pretty bad too, FWIW. The whole Gothaman/Gothamgirl (whatever) plot was bad. Like, terrible. It was actually terribad!
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:27 pm

Andrew wrote:
Wide And Nerdy wrote:Still following Superman and the Titans. While I like the tone shift Johns spearheaded in Rebirth with the emphasis on hope and friendship and stuff, Titans is seriously overdoing it. They have a conversation once an issue specifically about what great friends they all are and how much they support each other.

Totally agree on Titans. I read the 1st three or four issues and while the 1st (or 2nd, I forget) was understandably touchy feely with Wally reconnecting with the Titans the rest of it after that has just felt... unnecessary. I've since stopped reading it.

How is Superman playing out? Has the N52 Superman stuff been resolved? I've never read Superman but I'm curious how they approach this. I was hoping they would deal with it on Justice League (which I am reading) but they haven't really yet in the few issues I've read.

Batman has been pretty bad too, FWIW. The whole Gothaman/Gothamgirl (whatever) plot was bad. Like, terrible. It was actually terribad!

They're not doing as much with it as I'd hoped. I think it would be more interesting if there were more moments of them each sort of being caught off guard by the differences and similarities. It almost feels like they're doing it just to do it sometimes, rather than doing it to explore it.

I think because these characters have always been written kind of broadly and reinterpreted so much, the writers struggle to pin down what's the same and whats different. This could be a real opportunity to take past issues, sift out issues that portray him differently and build two or three different takes on the character based on how he's been written, then take one of those takes and say "Thats who this guy is."

So far, the direction seems to be to use Dan Jurgens as the reference. Jurgens wrote Superman for the entirety of the 90's, starting prior to Death of Superman. And I think thats a good choice. That Superman is kind of different from the New 52 character, but I'm not seeing any reaction or discussion. The closest we get is Batman being suspicious about why this Superman hid all this time (after Convergence, he was punted back in time so that he's now been here in hiding with Lois and his son for almost ten years.) This is because Jurgen's Superman was always more reluctant about his role as a leader and more afraid of his own power than the N52 incarnation. While N52 Batman became accustomed to N52's exuberance, he might come to appreciate Superdad's reluctance in time.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:16 pm

Damn you Andrew,if you hadnt told me that that was malfoy,I couldve been surprised by his evil secret.

Annyway,this episode we learn why its a bad thing to be stupid and impetuous.Poor dumb barry.

Also,there was gotham.It had some cutting edge effects.Clap worthy indeed.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:37 pm

I don't think it was possible to be surprised by the Alchemy secret. Super obvious from day one.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:54 pm

Ha! Yeah, it was a little on the nose, wasn't it? Especially considering that Alchemy's weapon is, essentially, The Philosopher's Stone.

I like how they're handling Killer Frost. But I wonder how long they can keep it up before she does a complete heel turn.

Haven't seen Gotham yet but that's one my list of things to do today!

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”