DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
User avatar
Andrew

Re: DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Postby Andrew » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:29 am

I like the direction that Arrow took this episode. It was an extremely brave choice to make Oliver kill whats-his-face. And while I'm not a fan of what happened to Diggle at the end of the episode I guess that story had to come home to roost eventually.

I like how Thea gets all kitted up only for Oliver to tell her that he doesn't want her around.

I liked the ending very much. I don't think it's actually her though - my theory is that it's the Earth 2 version. You know, the one with ACTUAL powers. Maybe after Zoom's attacks last season Barry and Co forgot to scoop up all of the metas that Zoom brought with him and she managed to slip away. It'd be a great way to introduce the actual Black Canary into the cast, in any event.
User avatar
Wide And Nerdy

Re: DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:52 pm

Andrew wrote:That all sounds, well, it sounds rather underwhelming. There may be more on the Superman front though in Justice League. The last one I read (which I think was the latest issue) ended with the Justlce League showing up at Supes front door and asking his kid if 'dad' was home. It's taken a while. It's already issue 10 and Superman sightings have been few and far between. If i'm not mistaken the way they're framing Flashpoint, Convergence, N52 and Rebirth is that the N52 characters are all one and the same as the pre-Convergence characters (with the notable differences of N52 Superman and Lois Lane who split or something) and that while they were living their N52 lives they had their memories wiped. Is that what it is? It's so hard to follow sometimes. But my point is, if that's true, then I'm sure Batman and Superman will eventually come together again just like pre-Convergence.

Is N52 Superman even around now? I thought I read somewhere that he had reverted to Clark Kent without any superpowers.

Also, point of interest, I was browsing my local comic book store yesterday and they had the first couple of issues of the new Teen Titans. I flicked through them and it looks like Damian Wayne - Robin, Son of Batman - is going to be their new leader. That's interesting. He's a little shit but I've always liked him. I may have to add Teen Titans to my reading list just because of that.


Superdad has interacted with Batman and Wonder Woman a fair bit now. They had dinner one night on Supe's farm.

N52 Supes is dead right now which is good because it forces Superdad into the open* and forces the League to try to interact with him (After all, if this guy is as good as their Superman, they can't afford to ignore him).

*Superdad was in hiding all this time because he didn't want to step on his counterpart's toes but he feels the need to fill the vacuum when N52 Supes dies.
User avatar
Wide And Nerdy

Re: DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:18 pm

There continues to be some mystery around Superman. I was confused about Superdad's costume because it doesn't quite look like N52's costume and it doesn't look like the classic outfit with the undies. But today Jon asks Superdad about a picture of his old costume and why he doesn't wear it. Its the classic outfit. That still doesn't completely settle the question of who this Superman is but it helps put off speculation that he's just a near copy of a familiar incarnation of the character.

Also, Superman clarifies that they aren't undies. Its a part of the pants, a decorative element, its just that part of the otherwise blue pants is red. Though that contradicts plenty of artist renderings of the costume and Grant Morrison's statement that they're "Kryptonian overpants."

Lois has a puzzling meeting with Lex who is now her boss (he owns the Daily Planet) or rather the boss of the N52 Lois. I can believe that Lois could pull off popping into the office occasionally but how does someone as intelligent as Lex Luthor not notice any differences? Sure you or I might dismiss that, but Lex has experience with alternate realities and doppelgangers and right now he has the mystery of the human Clark Kent and the new Superman in his lap. Maybe that's distracting him, but I'd think he'd be keeping an eye out.
User avatar
Andrew

Re: DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Postby Andrew » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:04 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:By the way,did you got ham?Because got ham had some nice rhyming from the hatter.Also oceans 3.

I finally got round to this today. Knowing it was the mid-season finale stalled me a little but boy was it a good episode.

The scene between Jim and Hatter was outstanding.

I hope they don't come back into the season next year with a whole thing about how Lee doesn't believe anything Jim says about Mario. We're past that right? Surely...?

When Falcone said to Jim "I know you Jim. You'll kill him." It brought me back to the very first episode of the series where Jim fake-kills Penguin and it really makes you realise how far Jim has come as a criminal and a murderer!!!
User avatar
Andrew

Re: DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Postby Andrew » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:10 am

Wide And Nerdy wrote:*Superdad was in hiding all this time because he didn't want to step on his counterpart's toes but he feels the need to fill the vacuum when N52 Supes dies.

I remember reading that somewhere. Probably when I was browsing.

But if the whole story of this being the real Superman is true then that means Batman and Wonder Woman are basically his best friends and closest allies (Batman, in particular). For me it sorta stretches the suspension of disbelief a little that he would be willing to sit back for so long and do nothing or not bother to try and rekindle past friendships. For all intents and purposes, N52 Superman is and always has been an imposter.

Have they answered the question of how pre-N52 Superman was supposed to have survived Flashpoint with his memories intact when no one else did? Because if I remember it correctly what they're basically saying is that Flashpoint merged the worlds after Barry was tricked into doing so by (presumably) Dr Manhatten. Then N52 came along with all of these characters and it was supposed to be a reset. But then Rebirth happened and actually, no, N52 characters are actually the same pre-Flashpoint characters with their memories wiped and their time stolen. That's about it, right?

I was browsing today and I saw Trinity for the first time - Superman / Batman / Wonder Woman. I didn't know they were doing this but the premise is sound. Yet another comic to consider adding to the reading list.
User avatar
Andrew

Re: DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Postby Andrew » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:48 am

All the CW superhero shows have been renewed for another season.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/38856 ... mics-shows

I was particularly worried about Arrow as it seems like it's run its course (especially with the 5 year flashback sequence finishing up) but looks like they have faith for at least one more season.
User avatar
Andrew

Re: DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Postby Andrew » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:40 am

Daemian, do you got ham? I got ham, but there isn't much to share really.

The stuff with Lee/Falcone was predictable and the stuff with Penguin was just flat out goofy.

There was a Barnes sighting though and Selina's acting was top notch.

I'm glad it's on again but this one felt a little flat. There's more, but I'll wait for you to watch it first.
User avatar
Daemian Lucifer

Re: DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:27 am

Youre damn right I got ham.I got ham for breakfast!

The thing that bugs me most is:Why the hell did he not deal with zsasz* when he had the chance?At least cuff him.That was the most boneheaded move ever.

Noo,not jerome.His story was perfect the way it was,and joker as a group is much better,and a scarier prospect.

Yes,barnes was great.Cant wait to see him break free.

*Seriously english,deal with your spelling already.
User avatar
Andrew

Re: DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Postby Andrew » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:44 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:The thing that bugs me most is:Why the hell did he not deal with zsasz* when he had the chance?At least cuff him.That was the most boneheaded move ever.

Agreed. He had multiple chances to take care of him and just didn't. Doesn't make sense except that he was handcuffed by the writers!!

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Noo,not jerome.His story was perfect the way it was,and joker as a group is much better,and a scarier prospect.

Agreed again. But obviously they've decided that he makes a good Joker and they want to keep him in it.

Seriously, if this isn't the best point in the series to turn Gordon into Batman already then I don't know if they'll ever get another. He is perfectly poised to take that step now but obviously he won't.

Also, I admit that I was confuzzled about how Penguin's dad was back walking around. Given how crazy Gotham has been lately I would have been perfectly happy to buy into Penguin is crazy and is seeing ghosts. The fact that it was Ed made a lot more sense. And seeing Clayface was fun. Even if it didn't click that that's who it was until (literally) he started changing his face back.
User avatar
Thomas

Re: DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Postby Thomas » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:12 pm

I was reading how, despite not having stellar viewing figures, The CW superhero films have made themselves really valuable to streaming services because their fanbase is dedicated and is motivated by the opportunity to watch the CW shows.
User avatar
Andrew

Re: DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Postby Andrew » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:42 am

I don't got ham today. Hopefully I got ham tonight otherwise it'll have to wait till tomorrow (when Flash and Legends also airs).

Also, I just found out that it's only going to be on for 3 episodes this month and then it will be on another break until April. What is this rubbish??
User avatar
Daemian Lucifer

Re: DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:32 am

While waiting for ham,I decided to watch some justice league action.It has the precise thing that the movies lack:Charm and humor.But the short running time was a bad decision.The episodes basically boil down to 10 minutes of fighting,and 1 minute of loose exposition.It lacks the time to develop like the old animated series.And even when strung together,the episodes still fill that time with more fighting.Though,to be fair,it is called action,so having it be mostly action is kind of the point,I guess.But Id prefer at least some quiet time in between all the action.

Oh,and it has booster gold early on.Thats nice.
User avatar
Andrew

Re: DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Postby Andrew » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:45 am

Wow, say what you want about how their handling Jerome but he does a damn fine Joker. Reminds me of Heath Ledger's Joker, almost exactly. I liked it.

What I did not like however was the drama between Lee and Jim. Can it stop, already? It's been more than a season of this nonsense and I'm over it!
User avatar
Daemian Lucifer

Re: DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:27 am

Due to my love of SCIENCE I watched the flash first.
User avatar
Andrew

Re: DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Postby Andrew » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:48 am

I just finished watching the Flash. You say SCIENCE, but I distinctly remember them saying that "if they change the headlines, they change the future". Except they're not really trying to change the future - just one event in the future. So what they're really saying is "change the headlines, save Iris's life". That is wafer thin logic, right there.... :P

Adding Julian to the team is a nice touch. I still think he'll replace Caitlin one day when she goes full Killer Frost (because that must happen, surely?).

Also I thought it was neat that the day they traveled to was 23 May 2017. I checked, it's a Tuesday in America so in all likelihood that is the season finale date for The Flash. Also sets up the possibility for one lousy a cliffhanger though...
User avatar
Daemian Lucifer

Re: DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:22 am

Andrew wrote:You say SCIENCE, but I distinctly remember them saying that "if they change the headlines, they change the future". Except they're not really trying to change the future - just one event in the future. So what they're really saying is "change the headlines, save Iris's life". That is wafer thin logic, right there.... :P


Thats precisely why I said SCIENCE and not science.The point they were trying to make(I think)is that if they can change the headlines,then the future can be changed.Though they should already know that,because they have done it before.But whatever.There was SCIENCE so it was cool.

Andrew wrote:Also I thought it was neat that the day they traveled to was 23 May 2017. I checked, it's a Tuesday in America so in all likelihood that is the season finale date for The Flash. Also sets up the possibility for one lousy a cliffhanger though...


My guess is that iris will still die,despite their efforts.Then barry will go back in time to fix it,because thats his answer to everything,
User avatar
Andrew

Re: DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Postby Andrew » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:52 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:My guess is that iris will still die,despite their efforts.Then barry will go back in time to fix it,because thats his answer to everything,

I firmly believe that they won't kill off Iris BUT... your version of how things go down does make sense and I would believe that is a thing Barry would do because Barry never learns.

Do you have ham yet? Seriously.. haaam!!!

Also, Arrow tomorrow. If Earth 2 Laurel sticks around (because that is so obviously who it is) then it will lend weight to the theory that the writers only killed off Laurel so they could bring in a Laurel with superpowers, Ie, the actual Black Canary.

That would sort of fly in the face of everything Arrow is though, being a show about not-superpowers...
User avatar
Daemian Lucifer

Re: DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:45 am

Im always happy to see that I was wrong in predicting a bad thing.Zombie jerome is much better than alive jerome.Also,I was expecting someone to yell "and so is my wife" during that scene.Wouldve fit with this gang.

Hey,bruce has learned some moves.Nice.Maybe he will become a vigilante soon.Not real batman,but a proto bats of sorts.
User avatar
Andrew

Re: DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Postby Andrew » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:54 am

I was hoping to see more of Lexa Doig but she should be around more in the future. I wonder how they're going to write in the fact that Oliver knew Nyssa's half sister (and Ras's daughter) the whole time during season 3 but never brought it up.

I bet they won't. They'll just handwave it and pretend it never happened. I thought the episode was great though.

Also, I knew it with Laurel. But apparently everyone else did too because it was in a preview from a few weeks back?? Heh.. I was wrong about her joining the team though. Oh well..
User avatar
Daemian Lucifer

Re: DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:07 pm

Soo,how come john can get a visit the day after he gets caught?After escaping from prison.Im not versed in the us law,but I think that he would not have that privilege so soon.

"Dont you say her name!",um oq,fs,its her name too.Even if she wasnt from earth 2,she still could have the same name.The "OMG!These two people have the same name!Thats impossible!" is kind of becoming a recurring trend in live action dc stuff.Its comical.
User avatar
Andrew

Re: DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Postby Andrew » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:10 am

Do you watch Legends? I just watched it (not used to the new air time yet).

It was hilariously stupid. Biggest pile of cheese you'll find on TV yet I loved it. And it had George Lucas!!

The dynamic between Merlin and Darhk is good. They have chemistry, even if they have been reduced to Thawne's stooges and nothing more.
User avatar
Daemian Lucifer

Re: DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:20 am

Andrew wrote:Do you watch Legends? I just watched it (not used to the new air time yet).


Watched the first episode of season 2,and I just cant.I cant even hatewatch it like arrow,I cant enjoy it like flash,its just not for me.
Steve C

Re: DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Postby Steve C » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:03 pm

Bad Ideas Barry best line ever: I swear on both my parent's lives that I will protect you.

Psst Barry. Your parents are dead.
Your mom was killed by an evil speedster in order to hurt you.
Your dad was killed by an evil speedster in order to hurt you.
Iris will be killed by an evil speedster in order to hurt you.

See the pattern here Barry? You tried and failed to protect them. That's why they are dead.
User avatar
Daemian Lucifer

Re: DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:23 am

That was an interesting ending.But it isnt surprising now that theyve established that anyone can come back from the dead.It will be shocking only if they make it stick.Which they most likely wont.
User avatar
Andrew

Re: DC Universe thread- (Holy SPOILERS Batman!)

Postby Andrew » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:17 am

Welp... I was sort of right. I really thought they would do it with Katie Cassidy but doing it with the complete stranger works too. They even called her Dinah Drake. It would be cringe worthy if it wasn't so wonderfully cheesy. For half a second I expected her to say her name was Dinah Lance and that she was the product of some misbegotten adventure Cptn Lance had when he was young.

Gotham was fun. It won't stick and not just because of how important he is to the Batman mythos - Robin Lord Taylor is probably the best actor on this show and they would be foolish to cast him off.

Flash was... good. I feel like they're setting the scene for Wally to be the star one day when Barry disappears into the Speed Force. Not sure how I feel about that (and it would probably be 2 or 3 seasons off) right now. The stuff with Cisco and Gypsy was oh so fun, even if there was never really any gravitas to the "fight to the death" thing. Even if you ignore the jokes and the lightheartedness of it, they were never going to kill of Cisco and Cisco was never going to kill Gypsy.

I still have The 100, The Expanse and Legends to watch. All these shows are out now and I have so little time...

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 1 guest