Game-making software recommendations

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
mwchase

Game-making software recommendations

Postby mwchase » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:05 am

I've been trying, on and off, to put together some kind of simple game (which simple game has been changing), and I've run into a dilemma:
  • Rolling my own engine is a yak-shaving black hole nightmare and I've concluded it's just not responsible.
  • I haven't found a library/editor/whatever solution with good documentation targeted towards impatient arrogant assholes with a twitchy finger on the back button. (I'd like to think I'm not like that, but the fact of the matter is, I'm skimming stuff like hell, no matter how much I tell myself not to.)
Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm using a Mac, so something that runs on Mac would be... ideal.

I don't know what kind of things to look for in an editor, so I'll talk programming languages I'm familiar with, for library purposes: Python, Lua, Haxe, sort of know Haskell, learning Rust... and I don't want to put out the other languages I have any familiarity with. I actually have positive feelings about the ones I just listed.

Python game libraries have always seemed a bit weird to me (at least, pygame's binary releases have), I've tried stuff with Löve, but not really accomplished much. I believe I've tried using NME directly, which wasn't such a good idea, and awe6, which didn't click for me. I haven't done anything big in Haskell, period. I haven't tried much in Rust yet, though I know of Piston.

I've just recently tried out Godot and Polycode, before my back-button finger got all twitchy. Less recently, I tried out Unity, and got stuck pondering the Deep Mysteries of its script loading, and also flailing about in ineffective prototyping.

... Right, the type of game would be helpful. Everything I've been trying to make has wanted a primarily 2D interface, and could benefit from some 3D eye candy. I'd like to target desktops.

I guess what I want to know, specifically, is, is there a library besides the ones I listed that's good? Any recommendations for IDEs? Or should I just try getting back into Löve?

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”