Things that made you unhappy today (aren't cool)

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Sudanna

Re: Things that made you unhappy today (aren't cool)

Postby Sudanna » Sat May 06, 2017 6:11 pm

Our can opener has been missing for a week and there's a can of some kinda chow mein dinner thing I wanna try but I don't wanna ruin a knife opening it and I don't wanna buy another can opener when we definitely still have one here somewhere.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Mon May 08, 2017 5:17 pm

I put the part of this weekend (my sister's wedding) that made me happy in the other thread. I figured I'd move the part that made me unhappy here. Though the incident with getting stuck in the mud didn't help at the time: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=880&start=400

What really got me is the suit. Basically I'm around 370 pounds, the suit rental place I went to didn't know how to deal with me, even going in three times to be fitted and refitted. I ended up racing to take a seat at the wedding hobbling in an ill-fitting suit. There have been lots of weddings and babies in my otherwise very normal to good-looking family lately and I didn't need the reminder of just how abnormal and freakish I am and how hopelessly far away I am from having the life that everybody else at the dinner table enjoys.

I'd been told that suits make big guys look good and help with the ladies. Not so in my case. I'm beyond even that.

When I limit myself to work and my bedroom, I'm happy. I can't be happy around my family anymore. Although I discovered at the wedding that alcohol really seems to help with that.
djw

Postby djw » Mon May 08, 2017 8:25 pm

Wide And Nerdy wrote:
When I limit myself to work and my bedroom, I'm happy. I can't be happy around my family anymore. Although I discovered at the wedding that alcohol really seems to help with that.

To quote the great wit Homer Simpson:

"To alcohol! The cause of and solution too all of life's problems..."
djw

Postby djw » Wed May 10, 2017 7:30 pm

I went to go get a paper towel so that I could murder a spider on the wall behind my computer without touching it, and now it (the spider) is missing!
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Sun May 14, 2017 5:42 pm

My beloved Spurs have played their final game at our current stadium. White Hart Lane - Our home since 1899. Went unbeaten at home as well. Bit teary right now...
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Mon May 15, 2017 2:42 am

I've never been there, never been to England, but I feel the same way. One of the things I'm not sure belongs in the happy or unhappy thread though.

Also happy the final table position has been sorted, no stressing over it for the last week of the season. And happy to see Swansea survive too.

grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Mon May 15, 2017 10:40 am

The gorgeous stand straddling rainbow was a nice touch from which deity it might be attributed to (and is now my Facebook profile picture - move over 3 week old daughter). Classy
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Wed May 17, 2017 5:48 am

Humanoid wrote:
Also happy the final table position has been sorted, no stressing over it for the last week of the season. And happy to see Swansea survive too.

Love the photo - and Swansea's survival has been a two week long party for me :) It's more stressful being in a relegation battle but you do feel happier at the end than say, when you manage to secure 10th. The crowd is going to be over the moon next match.

It's an odd end to the season. Last week it was all super exciting with so many teams with important positions to play for, and now the Premiership is basically settled a week early.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Wed May 17, 2017 6:08 am

It's a shame that Liverpool and Arsenal can't both miss out on CL qualification. :P

Would be fun if they had a playoff for the last spot though, which could happen if their matches end 0-2 and 1-1 respectively.
Sudanna

Postby Sudanna » Sat May 20, 2017 11:51 am

Smashed my thumb hard enough to split the nail and give myself a shaking crying panic attack and bleed all over. Supervisor had to drive me to our occupational healthcare place and then drive me home.
ecto_stantz_tial

Postby ecto_stantz_tial » Sat May 20, 2017 10:15 pm

I don't know about unhappy, but I thought of looking up a channel's social media account, and cannot find it, found the facebook, but, even though I've been to the page I'm looking for previously, I cannot remember if it was Facebook, Twitter, or whatever...so make a Facebook account, get that done, look around, still cannot find what I am looking for, I think it's twitter I'm looking for, but cannot find the page, and I'm just feeling old, laughing at myself, and nearly shouting at the computer. I'm 32, I'm not that lost yet, but those stupid social medias, and kids these days with their walkmens, and the shoes with the wheels in them, and always huffing with the spray paint! Just some mild frustration.

EDIT: After that little breather, went back checked again and found the twitter page, it was what I was looking for, some sanity has been replenished.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri May 26, 2017 6:06 am

Ive just found out that saving the app to an sd card instead of phone memory saves only the app itself there,and all the files(including images,videos,music,...)that the app downloads are still being saved into the phone memory,unless specifically changed in the app settings.Worse,some of these apps dont even have a setting for where they store their downloaded files,they just dump it wherever they please.And now,I have to hunt down and manually move about a gigabyte of pictures.After that,I have to go into the guts of the apps and manually change the save location for media.Ugh!
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Fri May 26, 2017 6:14 am

Well that is what you get for making apps "even a three year old could use". Settings aren't really a thing because "using settings is too complicated and it should just work".
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri May 26, 2017 6:30 am

4th Dimension wrote:Well that is what you get for making apps "even a three year old could use". Settings aren't really a thing because "using settings is too complicated and it should just work".

See,I dont mind this.Its a good approach for users who arent tech savvy enough,or dont want to be bothered with every little minutia.But if you do that,then you should adopt the general settings of the phone.For example,dont suddenly screech your high pitched music when the phone was set to silent(another idiocy Ive witnessed before),and dont store shit wherever you please when the phone is set to install your app somewhere else.
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:07 pm

I have managed to avoid throwing up for twenty years after I once got food poisoning so bad as a kid, I was throwing up water. That streak got broke today. Peeps say ya feel better after you get it over with since the nausua's gone, but 1) it don't and 2) it ain't and 3) I still don't​ think it is remotely worth what I just went through.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:11 pm

So Intel has a utility to modify a Win7 installation stick to add USB3 drivers. You need this to install Win7 on PCs with no USB2 slots, because your input devices won't work otherwise during the process. Such is the case with a new NUC I'm playing around with. (The reason I need Win7 is that this is meant to be a media device and as I've ranted on about before, Windows Media Centre is paid DLC for Win8 and absent entirely from Win10)

So their website points me to this download page, which conveniently has options for the utility to run in either Win7 or Win8/10. I'm doing this on my HTPC so Win7 it is. I run the utility, which reports success and I go to run the install on the NUC. Nope, the keyboard and mouse don't work, so I can't get anywhere.

After a couple hours wasted doing a combination of research, downloading new ISOs (which Microsoft make exceedingly hard to do these days, and which Shamus has written an article about) and experimentation, I end up at the readme file on the original download page, which has this statement: "NOTE: The utility ONLY works on Windows 8.1 and later." Goddammit.

I suppose you could say this is a lesson to always read the readme, but it's all rather baffling that Intel would provide for download a utility that does nothing whatsoever.

_________

Secondary rant: Cheaply made binding posts for speaker cables. By default it's tricky enough to thread speaker cable through the opening as it is. It's infinitely more so when the inside of the post is hollow, forcing you to thread the cable back out through the exit hole, sight unseen. (If you can't picture this, imagine a toilet paper core, with a hole drilled through it. Now thread a bundle of wires in one hole and out the other)

The proper design, of course, and that used in quality gear, has the post be solid except for the hole drilled through it.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:25 am

Adam West is dead. But at least he lived long enough to see his heir to the throne of One True Batman. OTB West is dead, long live OTB Arnett.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:52 pm

Heir, nothin', at least he lived long enough to reprise his part.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:25 pm

My grandmother has cancer and has lost over a hundred pounds in the last year and a half. She fell and broke her hip last night. That is pretty much always the end for old folk. Even if she survives today's surgery, she at best probably has a couple weeks.
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:03 pm

Supahewok wrote:My grandmother has cancer and has lost over a hundred pounds in the last year and a half. She fell and broke her hip last night. That is pretty much always the end for old folk. Even if she survives today's surgery, she at best probably has a couple weeks.

I'm really sorry to hear that Supah, I'm down to one remaining Grandparent after my mountain of a Grandfather last year, He'd been silently suffering from multiple cancers without complaint and we lost him very suddenly.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:02 pm

Digital Extremes (makers of Warframe) and one of my favorite local Canadian developers made a massive mistake. They sent a cease and desist order to the 17yr old kid who's been posting the mission drop rates for the past 3 years. It was a dick move with no justification.
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:14 am

Just before the last 2 Mm leg of a family road trip, the van broke down, and my cell phone was stolen. Van needs $4k of repairs. Also, need to buy a new phone.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:00 pm

A thunderbolt has just annihilated my internet. Luckily I have a surge protector for my computer, but the wiring outside had no shielding. Oh well, they'll fix it in the morning. Hopefully it's a minor thing.
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:34 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:A thunderbolt has just annihilated my internet. Luckily I have a surge protector for my computer, but the wiring outside had no shielding. Oh well, they'll fix it in the morning. Hopefully it's a minor thing.
Apparently you can post to the forum without working internet. What have I been paying for internet all these years for?
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:56 pm

dudecon wrote:
Daemian Lucifer wrote:A thunderbolt has just annihilated my internet. Luckily I have a surge protector for my computer, but the wiring outside had no shielding. Oh well, they'll fix it in the morning. Hopefully it's a minor thing.
Apparently you can post to the forum without working internet. What have I been paying for internet all these years for?

That response feels very 'grandma uses internet' meme-y.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”