Things that made you unhappy today (aren't cool)

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Thomas

Re: Things that made you unhappy today (aren't cool)

Postby Thomas » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:28 pm

After conceding 29 goals in 11 games under the new manager - and a lot of those to teams so bad they're in the relegation battle themselves - I'm feeling more and more justified in my early predictions that firing our old manager and hiring this one was really dumb.

It's horrible because it's stirring a lot of anti-American sentiment amongst fans and I don't like seeing it (even though I now realise I was guilty of some of it at the start too). It's not pretty, it's ruining our relationship with the new owners and the new fans they were trying to bring in. And our manager isn't bad because he's American. He's bad because he's bad, it's just that he was hired because he was American rather than for his skill. It's completely backfired for them, they've ruined the club they've bought and unfairly sabotaged the reputation of American football by promoting someone who hadn't earned it yet.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:26 pm

This should really go into the thread of things that surprised/disappointed/ bummed you up a bit and not into unhappy, but I need a place to went a bit.

I think today marks the first time I got hit properly by a moderator hammer in a forum.
I won't go in detail which forum it's on, or what in particular it's about. I guess they had their reasons that appeared to them to be valid. It's that I have to vent since that place seems not to have a PM system so I could ask for a clarification.
I have been hit by warnings and such before, but I don't remember my posts getting deleted from a thread I started to talk about an issue. And then have the thread be locked.
I guess I should have known that this might happen considering I was discussing the fact that in my opinion there has not been an official in content confirmation of the relationship between the franchise OTP and this was the forum NAMED after the pairing. But I thought I was perfectly civil if a bit stubborn in trying to pin down the actual part of the content they thought officially confirmed it that was not an interview or some fan work or something.
What I find the strangest is that what triggered them was when I tried to back up a bit and state what I consider the hierarchy of cannon of the franchise, in an attempt to goad them to state what they thought the hierarchy was and what exactly was considered cannon or not. Thinking now arguing cannon is probably the most heretical thing I could have done in any franchise, but still I thought I was being civil and should have gotten some answer even if it was no 4th Dimension you are stupid and wrong and your feet smell. I would have preferred for them to come up with their own hierarchy even if it was different than my own. I might have disagreed with it which would have prompted me to say that I do not agree but would be dropping further discussion because we have a critical disagreement that prevents further discussion. Basically we agree to disagree. Hell I was expecting for that to happen anyway, I just wanted to get the last couple of opinion exchanges out of my system so that our comparable positions are well defined which would leave anybody finding the post at a later date with enough data to form their opinion whichever direction it went.
Basically I feel if you would pardon my language slightly blueballed.
What makes it a bit worse is that by deleting my last post and locking the thread it leaves my position unresolved and leaves the thread at the position where it seems like they brought the power of evidence on me and I was being unreasonable in an undefined way.

I'm now hovering my mouse over the option to contact the guy I was discussing things with, but as I said the side does not have PMs but uses actual emails it seems, and I'm not about to have an email exhange. It would feel different. Also I kind of think it would solve nothing since he/they seemed set in his opinion of me.

But fuck it it's not like this is something that matters in the way of life and death. It's just another stupid shit that happens on the internet so I guess I should forged about everything.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:21 pm

Went to visit grandparents with parents for Christmas. Normally that would be on the good side of things, but it turned out to be much more stressful this year than usual for... various reasons. Combine that with me getting sick somewhere around the flight there made for a somewhat miserable week. Now I'm sitting at home being only half as miserable (and coughing/sniffing).
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:10 pm

Everyone is sick for some reason! I had 5 people not show up to my New Year's Eve party due to illness. I have a whole baked alaska sitting in the freezer that didn't get touched.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:42 pm

Are you in the northeast US? Something awful got to my wife and father-in-law, and judging by item availability reports from nearby pharmacies, many other people in the surrounding towns.
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:57 am

I think my PS4 just died on me. :(
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:00 pm

I was transferred back to an agency that I'd worked to get out of. And its starting to sink in. My life is a bureaucratic nightmare.

Before I start a task, I need a ticket, I need approval from at least two people who work in completely different agencies and aren't in anyway incentivized to do their jobs quickly. They approve, I go back to update the ticket to indicate approval, I copy the emails to a folder for that ticket,

Now I can begin work.

Oh wait, I need permission to get into the work environment, that goes to a coworker.

Ok, now I can begin work.

Work is complete in DEV. Now I need a coworker to review my work.

Coworker approves. Now I can copy to QAS.

Approval goes back to those people from step one who I usually have to email twice on succeeding days.

Then I copy to production.

Then I get final confirmation from the customer and close the ticket.

Move the folder to my archive.

At the end of each week, I have to track my projects in two different systems and make sure they match up even though they use different codes.

And this is for simple content changes. Even correcting spelling errors needs to go through pretty much this entire process. Actual major changes sometimes also have to be tracked in another system.

Its too much. I can't keep track of which step I'm on with each ticket. If I had this kind of capability I'd probably have a Masters degree instead of an AA, and be working in a much better job. And I don't have a tenth of the workload I'll be expected to have once I'm out of training. I'm thinking now would be a good time to just check out permanently. Been putting that off.

Its this kind of think that made my grades drop from A's to F's once I got into high school and projects became critical to passing. I continued to test 99th percentile and so clearly belonged at honors/AP level that they let me stay even as I got into C and D territory. But I failed nonetheless. And now 20 years later, my salary depends on this sort of thing.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:22 am

Yeah, that sounds annoying, boring and headache inducing.
On the other hand I don't expect things would be too better in any other kind of big organization, they all favor filing proper paperwork to track what is going on, and attention to such detail is big part of them.
The only bussiness that tends to do away with paperwork would be the smaller ones where the entire workforce knows each other and the procedd of figuring out where is the bottleneck is taking a stroll through the office and asking people.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:30 pm

This is a very minor thing, but what in the hell criteria does imgur use for deciding how to order bulk uploads? It's not fully determined by any combination of filename, file type, and modification time. Is it, like, taking them as they come in, so smaller images get bumped up? And the UI for dealing with this is atrocious, I don't know how anyone makes the kind of big albums I see sometimes.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:28 pm

You can reorder the images afterwards.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:02 pm

That was the UI I was complaining about. It's really fiddly, and it seems like half the time, the images wouldn't load, so I had nothing to rearrange.
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:39 am

My car's tranny tanked, so not only do I need to fix that, I also had to go through hell 'n back to get a rental while its in the shop.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:08 am

Windows update.
Nuff said.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:48 am

I've lost the ability to post or even see comments on the blog. I'm certain the problem is on my end. I have no idea what is causing it. I don't even know how to start to troubleshoot it.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:50 am

Steve C wrote:I've lost the ability to post or even see comments on the blog. I'm certain the problem is on my end. I have no idea what is causing it. I don't even know how to start to troubleshoot it.

I'm [not] seeing the same thing, so I doubt it's on your end.
Last edited by Retsam on Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:53 am

Really!? I'm shocked it's not me.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:55 am

Steve C wrote:Really!? I'm shocked it's not me.

It looks like it's a CSS style thing: the comments are still there, they're just "display:none". As a workaround, you can open your browser's console and paste this in:

Code: Select all

document.querySelector("#comments").style.display = "initial"

For me that makes them show back up.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:59 am

That's a bit beyond me. I know how to open the console and can muddle through figuring out what sections do in it. However I didn't even know it was possible to paste something like that into someone else's webpage.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:05 am

F12 is I think standardized way to open the page inspector allowing you to among other things make local (meaning when you reload they go away) changes to the page's looks. The console should be a part of the inspector.
BTW in Chrome you can right click on pretty much any part of the page and then click on inspect, and the Chrome will open up the inspector and hilight the part of page's HTML in charge of displaying what you right clicked on and any CSS styling settings that are being applied and allow you to mess with them. A nice thing if you ever want to figure out how somebody else did some effect using CSS.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:46 pm

It's only standardized to F12 on Windows (and maybe linux); on Mac it's "cmd-alt-j" to open the console in Chrome and "cmd-shift-j" to open the console in Firefox.

But yeah, the ability to inject local changes to HTML or run JS is pretty handy from time to time; I get a fair bit of use out if it - removing parts of webpages that are annoying, fixing the occasional formatting issue, automating some activities, etc.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:27 am

I am sick. Been sick since Sat night. Haven't eaten since Sat. Forced myself to eat half a potato but only managed to get through a quarter of it. Still, it counts as an improvement. It's been a bad week.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:35 pm

I discovered last night it's possible to be shivering in your core so hard you feel like you're about to throw up because your stomach has been rattled around so much.
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:15 pm

My 2.5 year old son broke his femur. Neither of us slept for about 36 hours while we waited for the cast to go on, as even the morphine wasn't enough to let him sleep for more than 20 seconds at a time. They put him under for the cast, and the sedatives made him throw up anything he ate for the next day. He's finally sleeping through the night and keeping food down, so maybe we can go home soon. My wife can take care of him during the day while I'm at work, but she's already so busy taking care of the other kids, and I don't know where she's going to get the energy. I'm gone at work for 12 hours a day, and I'll probably be up at night taking care of the invalid now too. February is going to be a rough month.
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:34 am

dudecon wrote:My 2.5 year old son broke his femur. Neither of us slept for about 36 hours while we waited for the cast to go on, as even the morphine wasn't enough to let him sleep for more than 20 seconds at a time. They put him under for the cast, and the sedatives made him throw up anything he ate for the next day. He's finally sleeping through the night and keeping food down, so maybe we can go home soon. My wife can take care of him during the day while I'm at work, but she's already so busy taking care of the other kids, and I don't know where she's going to get the energy. I'm gone at work for 12 hours a day, and I'll probably be up at night taking care of the invalid now too. February is going to be a rough month.

As the father of a 3 year old and with another on the way - you have all of my sympathy. I simply can't cope emotionally with my son being so upset/ill/in pain that he can't sleep or eat, it's the very worst bit about parenting.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:41 pm

It rained yesterday. I was up until 3am fighting leaks. Every light fixture had a bucket of water come through it. Water went behind the walls (a full half of them) and into the basement. My old computer got soaked. I was busy fighting different leaks and since the room it was in wasn't leaking I didn't notice. Then when that room did leak, a lot came in very quickly. Nothing is quite so annoying as moving something out of harms way in time and a new problem destroys it anyway.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”