Things that made you unhappy today (aren't cool)

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Steve C

Re: Things that made you unhappy today (aren't cool)

Postby Steve C » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:22 am

Planned on watching Doctor Strange today. I found out that all the theaters playing it are only playing it in 3D. Today I discovered I will be waiting another ~6 months to see it when it when it comes out on disk.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:04 pm

Steve C wrote:Planned on watching Doctor Strange today. I found out that all the theaters playing it are only playing it in 3D. Today I discovered I will be waiting another ~6 months to see it when it when it comes out on disk.

Watch it in 3d then.There are a few scenes where it is worth it.It is a mostly cg movie,and 3d works best for cartoons.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:00 am

3d gives me eyestrain. My eyeballs start to ache and then it turns into a headache. It is simply not worth the discomfort. In particular it is when the camera pans that it is really bad for me. When it pans in a regular digital movie it's already pretty bad. When it is in 3d I have to instantly shut my eyes or get a headache. Analogue movies- no problems.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:53 pm

Steve C wrote:3d gives me eyestrain. My eyeballs start to ache and then it turns into a headache. It is simply not worth the discomfort. In particular it is when the camera pans that it is really bad for me. When it pans in a regular digital movie it's already pretty bad. When it is in 3d I have to instantly shut my eyes or get a headache. Analogue movies- no problems.

I sympathize. Do your theaters not have 2D showings after the initial couple of weeks rush though? In my experience, 3d showings tend to be of the new hotness, and will be moved off to 2d theaters over time.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:33 pm

I'll check on it again in a few weeks if I remember.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:12 am

I had to witness that story
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:05 am

Some kind of glitch just ate 6000 words of NaNo. Or maybe they never existed? My backup system is really confused by my manuscript, so whatever was there is basically gone.

I can in theory bang out an extra(?) 6000 words, but I just... this year was a disaster the whole time.

I just... fuck it, you know?

I'm going to wait like a week and start working on outlining the only good idea to come out of this clusterfuck, without worrying about wordcount yet.
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:24 am

The head cold has moved down into my chest, I can't speak in my normal voice (I'm an octave down, and according to my wife I sound like Alan Rickman) and every cough feels like I'm dragging a chestnut up my throat. If I struggle to the point of nearly passing out, I can occasionally get a tiny chunk of gack out, but my throat just never stops hurting.
Kelerak

Postby Kelerak » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:00 pm

After four years of use, the RAM in my laptop decided to finally give up, so now I've got to look for a replacement. Ironically, I was playing the original Deus Ex when I got a BSOD and then discovered my RAM was dead.

This actually doesn't make me unhappy, per se, more just mildly annoyed. I have games to play in the meantime, so it's not too great a loss.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:17 am

^ Must be the same ghost that haunted Shamus' Deus Ex video.

Meanwhile I have a really upsetting issue. My local supermarket has stopped stocking Sprite Zero. :(
Kelerak

Postby Kelerak » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:39 pm

Now you know my pain of never finding a bottle of Vault ever again.

(even though it's just Coca-Cola's Mountain Dew)
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:01 pm

Kelerak wrote:Now you know my pain of never finding a bottle of Vault ever again.

And my pain of never again having forest herbs chewing gum.
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:39 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:
Kelerak wrote:Now you know my pain of never finding a bottle of Vault ever again.

And why I'm pissed off as all hell over Island Berry Lime chewing gum, although I did manage to snag a dozen packs of that on super-clearance when they discontinued it.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:51 pm

McNutcase wrote:
Daemian Lucifer wrote:

And why I'm pissed off as all hell over Island Berry Lime chewing gum, although I did manage to snag a dozen packs of that on super-clearance when they discontinued it.

I did the same,and they did last me a few months.But that was a decade ago.A herbless decade.
Kelerak

Postby Kelerak » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:24 pm

As a preface, I have problems staying asleep at night. This has been an issue for a while, and it's usually manageable, as I'll wake up and then just go back to sleep in a couple minutes. However, one of my roommates snores really fucking loudly, so I have to go to bed early enough so that I can sleep at least through most of the night without being woken up. Problem is, my body decided to wake up at 3 AM, giving me about 4-ish hours of sleep, and the snoring from my roommate was easily audible through the earplugs I normally wear. Like, it made no difference whether I wore earplugs or not, I was not getting back to sleep at all. So, since I didn't want to wake anyone else up, I had to pass the time by playing Alpha Sapphire and figure out what the fuck I'm supposed to do, since I couldn't remember what to do from not having played for several months.

I'm having to do a lot of drowning people out lately, since there are also some people near my desk who spend the entire day making political "jokes" and commentary, occasionally veering into hate speech at times. The cafeteria where I'm at isn't much better, since there's always a bunch of assholes who think they're hilarious by being loud and obnoxious. Even going back to my room doesn't fare well, considering the roommate I mentioned previously likes to blast their music through their phone.

But, hey, this gives me a chance to get back into various metal bands.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:25 pm

My power strip blew out and took the power supply in my computer along with it. I'm really hoping its just the power supply as I can't afford a new mobo and cpu yet, let alone new RAM and a new video card (not a comparable replacement anyway.)

I'm sitting here at work nervous about the prospect of going an entire weekend without my computer. I have no life. Without my computer I have nothing.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:26 pm

Power strips often have warranties that cover the things plugged into them. I believe my normal-nothing-special one from Wal-mart covers $10,000 of damages. It's worth checking.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:42 pm

I already fixed it. New surge protector, new power supply. Took a while but everything worked. For a while, I didn't think I could.

There's this metal bar on the case that, if it were even a centimeter lower, I could have just pulled the power supply. But because it wasn't, I had to pull the the RAM, CPU Fan, Video Card and all the hard drives. Probably took a good 3 hours to pull it out and put it all back in because I don't do this very often. I was dead certain the whole time that I was going to screw it up. Especially the CPU fan. In order to get at one of the mounting screws, I had to slip the screw drive behind the fan, between the fan and the fins.

But miraculously, I managed not to damage anything. I credit God. I needed help last time I worked with that beast.

So turned it back on and was enjoying the fruits of my labor when I noticed that the CPU temps were up around 100 C. I'd forgotten to apply new thermal paste. So the next morning had to go get some and then reseat the fan, again.

I'm looking to start a new build soon and when I do, I'm definitely getting a larger case.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:40 pm

Wide And Nerdy wrote:I'm looking to start a new build soon and when I do, I'm definitely getting a larger case.

I wish I could do that.But you see,in my infinite wisdom,I decided to build my computer stand slash bookshelf in such a way that it precisely matches my case,leaving open only enough space on the back and the side for cooling,but not even a full centimeter on top.So now if I want a bigger case,I have to disassemble at least one drawer,which requires me to dismantle at least a half of the bookshelf so that I could reach the screws that hold the drawer.

Whats ironic is that this type of measuring things without thinking about the future is precisely the thing I was teasing my dad about for years when he was forced to dismantle a whole door in order to get a freezer inside the basement.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:01 am

You could just get a well-designed smaller case instead, along with a modular PSU if you haven't already gotten one. Look for things like good cable routing options, removable drive cages, perhaps some mounting options behind the motherboard plate. I've had large cases that have been much more of a pain to work with than some of my smaller ones. Not the ITX ones of course, those will never be easy.

Staying on the topic of computing stuff, I decided to buy a 2nd gen Intel Compute Stick to mess around with, and hooked it up to a spare monitor I had. Unfortunately, under load this thing is loud, and that's after updating the BIOS which made a significant improvement. Out of the box the fan noise was horrible, it sounded like a dying 90s hard drive crunching away. With the update it's more of a steady but unpleasantly high-pitched whirr. So in the end this thing might be okay for regular web browsing where the fan can throttle down, but my initial plans for using it as a media playback device (streaming from NAS plus YouTube stuff) isn't going to really work out. Oh well, next time I'll not take shortcuts and build a proper fanless box or somesuch.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:28 pm

This is probably small but I just realized that my halfway decent Logitech Joystick is no longer communicating with it's wireless base. It light up and the led's on it react to button presses, and the base also light up but when I press buttons on it the base is supposed to switch from blinking to steady on light which is not happening and the windows controler window shows that nothing is being received.

Now this might be just a small problem, if I was living in a normal country. Just gather up some cash and buy a new one. But I live in Montenegro, a speck on the map and therefore there is like no market for this kind of good here. Which means the only reason I was able to buy this one was because it has set in a warehouse for half a decade back from an age when joysticks were a thing normal, non flight sim obsessed creeps like me, were expected might buy. AND it was like the ONLY seller of computer equipment here who keeps an accurate and up to date price/catalogue online, and not like one half a year or more old.

But 4th Dimension why don't you buy online . . . NO. For one as I said the market is too small for any local online business to be open to the public (the big resellers that sell to local stores do busines with the local stores via online pages), and as for the foreign online sources . . . HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH . . . NO I can not buy anything electronic online anh have it shipped here. I can buy basically anything else, like for example books. Hell I just ordered a book from Amazon UK. But anything electronic will not be delivered outside of the reseller's country. Since there is no Amazon.me, or Amazon-exYu there is no way to buy and get it delivered over here. Hell some time ago I was trying to buy a god damned crimping tool and they wouldn't deliver that either. I guess they don't want me building nukes or something with that.

There is one place that will deliver. The Chinese, using the Aliexpress. But that only works if I want to buy a let's say Logitech Extreeme 3D pro joystick that looks like it, probably has all the features featuring on the box, costs like a quater or one tenth the price AND has no label on the item itself labeling it as a logitech product so there is no evidence of copying. Hell it might even work, but I'm not jumping through that hoop wondering if I'm squandering my money. Also while I like flightsims I don't like them THAT much to bother to travel to Belgrade and buy it there or something.

I guess I'll have to wait for one of our regular company trips/holidays (probably next year) and go shopping in a mall in a bigger country.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:16 am

I got into bed and started reading a book. Drip. Drip. My roof is leaking directly onto me. I just went up into the attic and had a look. (Not easy and a production in and of itself because of its stupid location in a closet.) It's a lot of little leaks. A lot. The roof over my bedroom needs to be replaced. In Canada. In December. Sigh.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:33 pm

Had to take mother to the er.Shes fine now.Just a few stitches.
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:16 am

I had to put my dog down. Unpleasant enough on its own, but the circumstances surrounding this deed...increased the unpleasant.
modus0

Postby modus0 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:04 pm

Found out my bank card information has been compromised (again...), when I had part of an order declined, and checked my account online to ensure I should have sufficient funds; only to find that some t**t had used my card to purchase 111 USD worth of stuff at a store I've never even visited.

So, now I'm unable to purchase anything without using cold hard cash (and will have to wait to order one item I'd tried to purchase) until my new card arrives.

At least it didn't interfere with the part of the order that contained Christmas gifts.

And the site I suspect is the point of compromise is trying to foist the blame off themselves (apparently there are other people who have been hit), despite the fact that they were responsible for an earlier bit of card theft, which they also claimed "couldn't be them" (Spoiler: it was).

Dingleberries. >:(

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”