Things that made you unhappy today (aren't cool)

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Supahewok

Re: Things that made you unhappy today (aren't cool)

Postby Supahewok » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:55 am

Trix2000 wrote:
4th Dimension wrote:WTF?!? Is that a thing people you never interacted with (I suppose) can be mad about?!?
People can be mad about anything and everything.

What is reasonable to be mad about is an entirely different story (and doesn't seem to apply here).

Story about that. I'm the lifeguard manager of a small neighborhood pool for my summer job (for non-English speakers, a lifeguard is one of those dudes with the red tubes trained in first aid that's there to enforce the rules, save folks from drowning, and maintain the facility, in my case. Like Baywatch, but I'm not sexy and I know it :( ). Pool gets low enough traffic that we're only assigned 2 guards at once, including me. On Sunday, other guy flies out of town without getting a replacement for his shift, and only texts me about it 5 minutes after we opened when I'm trying to call him up, and a guy I don't know is sent over from another pool.

The day ended with us screaming in each others' faces, inches apart, a poked finger away from knocking each others' teeth out, as a result of him bullying some of my patrons (calling swimmers patrons isn't exactly accurate, but we can't really call them customers) into leaving 10 minutes early, against my orders, on some trumped up justification from the Red Cross yada yada but really he just wanted to be out by 8. I was enraged primarily from him, as I said, bullying a mom and her two kids, and for the pretty massive disrespect he was showing towards my place as the pool's manager. Literally, if one of our hands had brushed against the other person as we waved them, blood was gonna flow.

The mom took her kids and left, which ended the standoff.

Anyways, point of the story is, if you're looking for stupid reasons people get into fights, lifeguard rule technicalities makes the list.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:13 am

Firefox nonsense got to me a couple of years ago. I've been using a fork of Firefox back from before it forgot it's purpose called Palemoon. If you liked Firefox back in teen versions this is the browser to get. It continues to be updated regularly like Firefox. They just don't include the suck like Firefox.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:34 pm

The pump in my well quit on Monday. I haven't had running water since then. After troubleshooting various possible causes, the pump is just dead. Hopefully I'll have a new pump installed and working tomorrow but I'm not holding my breath.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:59 am

I have a fatty migraine that is currently preventing me from sleeping. Stabbing head-pains that last hours are NOT fun, especially when you can tell they're coming. :(
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:38 am

In their infinite wisdom of fixing stuff that is not broken,opera developers decided to remove backspace from the list of shortcuts in the latest patch.You know,the key that universally moves a tab/page back one step in every browser.Even internet explorer used this one since forever.

The fix is simple,sure,but I have to do it now on every machine that I ever use.This means Ill have to do it in the next couple of weeks,because Im not by all of them all the time.Idiots.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:44 am

It's census night. Ugh.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:58 pm

Backspace is such a weirdly polarizing shortcut. You've got the people who apparently use it all the time, and think it's everyone else's fault if they lose form data to it, and the people who got burned by it a few times and celebrate every time a browser removes it. Seems like the only middle ground is not having an opinion.

(My opinion? My opinion is, how was this even a shortcut? It's at the top of the keyboard. If your right hand is on a mouse, you have to pass by something like three other common shortcuts on the way there. Plus, why are we using unmodified text editing keys to drive a GUI that could be covered in textboxes?)
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:16 pm

mwchase wrote:(My opinion? My opinion is, how was this even a shortcut? It's at the top of the keyboard. If your right hand is on a mouse, you have to pass by something like three other common shortcuts on the way there. Plus, why are we using unmodified text editing keys to drive a GUI that could be covered in textboxes?)

Its useful for when you are typing and reading long stuff one after the other.So while you are typing,z and x are much more useful,but then you start reading,your hand moves to the pgup pgdown,and then backspace is closer.Ive used it on the blog a bunch of times like that.
Lachlan the Mad
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Mad » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:31 pm

Humanoid wrote:It's census night. Ugh.

I find this to be fucking hilarious, because the government was trying to be all innovative and shit by putting the census online (causing some people to be concerned about privacy, but we'll put that aside for now). One guess as to how the servers handled it.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:56 pm

Lachlan the Mad wrote:

I find this to be fucking hilarious, because the government was trying to be all innovative and shit by putting the census online (causing some people to be concerned about privacy, but we'll put that aside for now). One guess as to how the servers handled it.

Without a hitch?
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:42 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:but then you start reading,your hand moves to the pgup pgdown
Or scroll wheel on the mouse, which I find a lot more convenient (though you obviously have to have one).
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:55 pm

Trix2000 wrote:
Daemian Lucifer wrote:but then you start reading,your hand moves to the pgup pgdown
Or scroll wheel on the mouse, which I find a lot more convenient (though you obviously have to have one).

Its not convenient when you switch a lot between writing and reading.In fact,its faster and easier for me to tab to the post button on this page,then switch to another tab and continue reading the wiki I was on seconds ago.

Also,if you are on a laptop where the mouse is bellow your keyboard,you are almost constantly having your fingers on the keyboard,not besides it.

Of course,this all used to be even easier back with opera 12,where you could use Q and A to switch between links,but tab and shift+tab works only slightly slower than this.A bit harder to get used to,but not that much inconvenient once you do.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:19 am

Lachlan the Mad wrote:

Yes, in hindsight I should have posted this in the happy things are cool thread, because the fallout from this has been fantastically entertaining. I'll leave the serious analysis to people more qualified, but the short version I saw (courtesy Simon Wright who runs Whirlpool.net.au) was that the bureau estimated and operated on an assumption of 1m simultaneous connections and added a margin of 50%, where a more realistic number would be 5m simultaneous connections with 100% added margin. They were doomed from the outset, DDoS or no DDoS.

Plenty of zingers all night of course, I particularly liked this one: that the only conclusion the ABS could make from the statistics they gathered last night was that the ABS requires more funding. I also liked the observation that the age-old saying that "no one ever got fired for buying IBM" will likely be proved comprehensively false.
Lachlan the Mad
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Mad » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:13 am

Humanoid wrote:
Lachlan the Mad wrote:

Yes, in hindsight I should have posted this in the happy things are cool thread, because the fallout from this has been fantastically entertaining. I'll leave the serious analysis to people more qualified, but the short version I saw (courtesy Simon Wright who runs Whirlpool.net.au) was that the bureau estimated and operated on an assumption of 1m simultaneous connections and added a margin of 50%, where a more realistic number would be 5m simultaneous connections with 100% added margin. They were doomed from the outset, DDoS or no DDoS.

Plenty of zingers all night of course, I particularly liked this one: that the only conclusion the ABS could make from the statistics they gathered last night was that the ABS requires more funding. I also liked the observation that the age-old saying that "no one ever got fired for buying IBM" will likely be proved comprehensively false.

The fact that they're blaming it on a DDoS is also absolutely hilarious, because even though the DDoS excuse absolves them of blame, it's actually much worse for all of their customers. Saying "it wan't a sever failure, it was a DDoS" is like saying "our plane didn't blow up because of poor maintenance, it blew up because terrorists set a bomb on it".
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:37 pm

"Our plane did not fall out of the sky because of poor maintenance and engineering. No it fell out of the sky since the fuel tanks were too small and it ran out of fuel" more likely.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:40 am

I believe my gmail account has just been hacked in the last couple of hours. And I cannot figure out what to do about it because gmail requires you log into gmail first before you are allowed to say you cannot log into gmail.

A verification phone has been added to my account. I didn't do that. I have no way of receiving text messages as I do not own a cellphone. 2 factor verification is utter bullshit. It has been asking me for years now to do it and there isn't an option for I CAN'T SO STOP ASKING!

It is my primary email account. All my other accounts feed into it. And the only person who knows that address is me. I don't send mail from it and I don't give that address out. It is a hidden address for me to log into only. So fuck if I know how I'm going to solve this. It is a BIG problem. It was always going to be the weak point in how I handled all my personal security. Whoever has access to it right now has access to pretty much everything.

The most frustrating part is that Google won't allow me to tell Google!!!!!!!!!! How the fuck do you get through to google if you have to log into google first and can't?!?
Vulture

Postby Vulture » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:20 am

Steve C wrote:The most frustrating part is that Google won't allow me to tell Google!!!!!!!!!! How the fuck do you get through to google if you have to log into google first and can't?!?

At the gmail login screen once you have entered your username and it is asking for your password, I see a 'Need help?' link below the sign in button. This gives you an "enter the last password you remember" option and various other possibilities can also turn up "I clicked "try another question" and it offered to send a prompt to my tablet which I've previously used to log in to that account to confirm my identity. I don't know whether any of the options there will help you, but it might give you a way to log in / get google to look at things.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:37 pm

Yup. Tried that. That "Need Help?" is actually a login with more steps. And if someone has changed your account password and security questions etc then you cannot log in. There is no "I don't know because someone has changed it" option. There isn't a "Hey, blahblah@gmail.com account is compromised" anywhere. Even looking at the useless help pages requires you to be logged in.

The funny thing is that my password is still my correct old password. I'm getting past that part. The problem is that gmail is asking for a secondary login after that- the phone number. I'm just hoping that gmail has broken some sort of retarded automation on their end. It would be a lot better than someone else having access to my account.

What's interesting is that my other gmail accounts also asked for extra info after entering the correct password. Security questions etc. Those I could do. Logging into gmail on one of those accounts doesn't allow me to request for help on my main account either. As far as I can tell it is not possible to open a support ticket about anything anywhere.

The good news is that I believe I still have control over all of my sub accounts. I've spent the last 5 hours changing filters, forwards and recovery addresses away from my prime account. I do not believe any new emails will go to the compromised account. Still there is a lot of old mail sitting in my Inbox. I have no idea what sensitive information could be in it.

BTW My main account is the only one asking for a phone number. It refuses to send a verification code to my recovery email address either as "gmail can't verify I am who I claim to be." Google's idea of a security question is asking me what month + year I started my gmail account. Yeah google, it was a milestone event in my life that I will remember forever.

This has got to come up all the time. What do people do if they have their phone stolen?
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:12 pm

Huh. I was curious when I opened my gmail account, so I sorted by oldest first, and, wow. It was back in 2005, and the first email I had was a chain email from Mothers Against Drunk Driving, along with 6 or 7 other chain emails, a few invites to MySpace, and an email from my sister notifying me that one of her Sims had married mine. That's some vintage internet right there.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:31 pm

I know right? How is that a security question? I think mine was before 2005. I sure as hell don't know the month. You just checked yours. Do you even remember the month from checking a few hours ago?

It's a really really stupid thing to ask for. Check out this reply from google to someone else:
bkc56 said:
Few people remember their Gmail creation date. It’s just not the type of thing one memorizes. But people are often able to figure it out with a little thought or research. Some ways include:
* Finding the verification e-mail from creating the account in the old account used at the time.
* Associating the creation of the account with some other life event, like graduation, moving, or a change in ISP.
* If the account was created for a mobile device, the start date of your mobile contract would be the same date.
* Asking contacts you sent messages to from the new Gmail account if they saved them.
* If it was created as part of a new mobile device setup, check the date on the sales receipt for the device.

Consider just how insanely stupid this reply is.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:55 am

I've always been a bit paranoid about Google so I never bothered to migrate off my ISP mailboxes despite that being a Fairly Bad Idea. I do employ redirection at the domain level though so I'm still portable if I ever switch ISPs.

However Steve's travails have sort of encouraged me to look at alternatives, and I'm thinking Zoho might be the option to take here. Free, no ads, and I can optionally use my own domain for it. Anyone here have any experience with them?
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:52 am

The more and more I look at gmail's "Help" pages the more I'm convinced that the system is designed on purpose to be completely uncooperative. That if your gmail account becomes compromised for any reason that Google does not want to hear about it and has no intention of fixing it.

The "customer support" is less interactive and useful then dealing with Youtube and copyright claims. Their attitude is "Gmail is free and fuck you if something goes wrong. We can't be bothered." There's no google employees involved. There's no support ticket system. There's no anything at all. Anything that could be done, the FAQs say is a privacy issue and won't be done by design.

As far as I can tell the most important thing to google is your phone number. The second most important piece of information is the date the account was created. The email address, password, security question, and recovery address are all unimportant compared to those 2 things.

Retsam, if I had the month you created your account in 2005, and your phone number, I bet I could break into your account. Gmail is that stupid.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:22 pm

Steve C wrote:Retsam, if I had the month you created your account in 2005, and your phone number, I bet I could break into your account. Gmail is that stupid.

Yeah, but that's the genius part about the system: my security credentials are so secure, even I don't know them. Security questions even the user doesn't know is the new frontier in internet security measures.

In seriousness, Google could really use better support centers: their "automate everything" approach works well when things are running smoothly, but automated systems are really not the best at resolving unforseen problems.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:58 pm

This isn't an unforeseen problem though. Not being able to log in is the most common problem ever when it comes to email services. That's why I believe Google is making it impossible on purpose-- because they aren't interested.

As a further, "OMG you are fucking kidding me" to this saga, I've successfully received a verification email. I successfully entered that code when asked. Nope. Google still cannot "verify it's me".

So the only two pieces of information I could not provide were 1) phone number verification and 2) account creation date. That's it. Everything else gmail has asked for (password, security question, verification code) have all been answered correctly. And that is an exhaustive list of everything that has been requested. Those 5 things- that's it.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:59 pm

The more I wrack my brain about this problem the more I believe I was forced to enter a phone number at one point. Not a verified 2-step authenticated phone number, but a phone number. Where I logged into my account (years old) and instead of "Enter a phone number now? Or enter a phone number later?" screen, I was told I had to enter a phone number right then with no way around it. Since it was impossible for me to give them a valid number I have no idea what I gave them.

Best guess that is what google is asking me now months or maybe years later. A phone number that has never existed and if Google called would not successfully connect.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”