Things that made you unhappy today (aren't cool)

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
dudecon

Re: Things that made you unhappy today (aren't cool)

Postby dudecon » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:39 pm

Steve C wrote:It rained yesterday. I was up until 3am fighting leaks...
Yuck. What good is a building that leaks when it rains?
We bought a house with a "new" roof that had a leak. Turns out the previous owner installed a skylight himself and did it wrong. It's one thing when things just wear out. It's another when perfectly good things are destroyed through incompetence.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:13 pm

I'm most frustrated by the fact that the shingles were rated for 25yrs and didn't last even half that. It made me believe a previous small leak 2 yrs ago was a small problem that could be solved with a patch. The roof was 12yrs old at that time and looked fine so of course it couldn't be the entire roof. I also got bad advice at that time that I should have ignored.

On Dec 1st the same spot started leaking again. I got a roofer in the next day for a quote and he hadn't seen a roof with these types of shingles fail before as it was a new type of shingle 14yrs ago. He showed me all the tiny little holes though. It was a big problem that needed a full roof replacement and immediate temporary fix until then. Except he was having surgery and couldn't patch it. Someone else said they could patch it and they dicked me around for an entire week until the weather changed and it couldn't be done. Then the other night during an icestorm the roof failed catastrophically. Thankfully the useful guy was able to patch it the next day. I'm still very worried about it and haven't put the light fixtures back up. Plus it's going to cost $10k when it is done.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:17 am

Reinstalling windows on my mother's laptop. I previously set this computer up. Back then, I made a separate recovery partition with an image of the OS drive. All I had to do was use a boot CD and run the software I left there to have a clean version of everything fully installed. I could not get any of the 4 boot CDs I had to work. Bart PE couldn't see the drive. Nothing I found online was going to help me because I needed a bigger USB drive than I had spare. The Win7 installation disk could see the drive and all the files I wanted to access in a "browse" submenu to look for drivers, but it wouldn't let me run anything. All I needed was a DOS-cmd window and I couldn't get one.

It wouldn't let me install windows and keep the rescue partition. I gave up after hours of fighting to keep it and formatted the drive. FIVE FUCKING MINS LATER; I find out that the Windows installation CD has a hidden command SHIFT + F10 that brings up a cmd window. That's all I needed to make fixing this computer painless and I found it 5 mins too late... fml.

Now it's going to be an absolute bitch to get the drivers and settings onto it. The BIOS on this thing is useless. I can change the time, the language, and the boot order. That's it. Can't change anything to do with USB, the Hard Drive or anything else. Worst BIOS I've ever seen.
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:37 am

I was at a point in GTAV where I'd completed the main story and was now doing a few extraneous bits of BS before I took on missions that would net up to a billion or more in profit, which would allow me to mess around in the property part of the game...then steam downloaded an update that bricked the launcher and I couldn't start the game. The issue was so widespread, that the amount of tickets their support website received crashed their server and the site was down.

My response was to say 'fuck it' and uninstall the game to make room for Mankind Divided. After confirming the download was complete, I shut down the computer and waited till this morning to try and run the game...which it won't. Just a brief half-second 'preparing to launch' window from Steam, before it disappears into the ether and I get no further feedback as to what the hell happened because of-fucking-course...
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:15 pm

If I was king of the world, automatic updates would be outlawed.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:20 am

Some sh fu as incredibly misguided person named Durrell put my cell number down when signing up for some kind of gig economy thing. A dozen texts later, and I'm pretty sure it's scrubbed from their system. Why oh why are these companies letting people put in a cell number for communication, without sending a verification text?

If they'd done that to start with, none of tonight's BS would've happened, because I would not have acted on the text, and they would have sent an email or whatever, saying "Durrell, you incredibly misguided person, the verification code expired, was that actually your number?"

And I wouldn't have had to say stuff on the phone like "No, I'm still not Durrell, and I never will be."
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:09 pm

THEY'RE STILL TEXTING ME
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:47 pm

Dont you have a block function for your phone?

If not,the only other thing I can think of is talking to your operator to deal with this.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:13 pm

I keep believing that one day there'll be an interview where you can be open about yourself and your flaws and it'll be an honest conversation which will work out the best for everyone.

This is dumb and never, ever works. I've failed interviews doing this, I've been the interviewer who failed people who tried to do this. And this time round, I blew an opportunity I've been waiting 3 years for.

Tell people you're great. If you did something as part of a team, say you did it. If there's a proviso on your achievements, don't mention that proviso. If someone asks what your flaws are, tell them that you work too hard and you love your work too much. It's nice to believe it doesn't have to be like this, but when someone is deciding between two good candidates, they'll remember that one told them they panic under pressure and that the other one didn't.
Sudanna

Postby Sudanna » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:01 pm

Openness and honesty are for people you trust. Don't trust strangers. Probably -never- trust an employer.
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:13 pm

Yeah - it's very rare that an employer want's to hear the ugly truth. I lucked out when I wearily admitted in my second interview for my current post that I tended to react badly to management if I wasn't being told why they were making what I considered a wrong decision.
Turns out that's what the rest of the team were already like so my now Boss just shrugged and explained that as a Dev Programmer working on internal systems it would be something I get used to on a day to day basis - he was right!
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:45 pm

My headphones broke. Superglue did nothing.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:18 am

We have no less than one (1) mouse in the apartment right now.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:44 am

Had to redownload a 15Gig game because steam refused to associate the files I had already downloaded. Checksum was correct. It's just steam being a bitch. Man I hate steam.

Also found out that Winrar does some weird shit with cache. Namely it unzips the file to the windows temp directory, then copies all the files from there, deleting them when done. Which is an extra step for no good reason. It also waits until unzipping complete before deleting the temp files. The result is it filled up my OS drive, causing multiple programs to crash. A crash which deleted my keybindings in Warframe. Now it's going to annoy me for another month as I play Warframe and my muscle memory fails me in tiny inconsistent ways.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:50 am

Steve C wrote:Also found out that Winrar does some weird shit with cache. Namely it unzips the file to the windows temp directory, then copies all the files from there, deleting them when done. Which is an extra step for no good reason. It also waits until unzipping complete before deleting the temp files. The result is it filled up my OS drive, causing multiple programs to crash. A crash which deleted my keybindings in Warframe. Now it's going to annoy me for another month as I play Warframe and my muscle memory fails me in tiny inconsistent ways.

This is that annoying type of mistake that you learn once,and then forever go into the settings first whenever you install anything that has huge files involved with it.Its also the type of mistake that makes you wonder "Why dont ALL of these programs give you the settings page for this crap whenever you start them for the first time?".
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:21 am

You never noticed that? It's pretty clear that WinRar does that if you ever extracted anything larger since it first shows it's window that it is extracting something. And then Windows puts up it's window to show that it's copying the thing you extracted. I guess if you extracted it to the same drive where temp is the copy window will only flash once, but if you are doing it on another drive it will actially have to do the copying part and not simply adjust the file partition table to show that the content is in another folder.
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:32 pm

My debit card got flagged for possible fraud again, so they deactivated it...without bothering to notify me.

Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:50 am

Had to have my cat put to sleep.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Wed May 03, 2017 3:03 am

Dishwasher clogged. I did an initial clean, and pulled stuff out that I'm sure aren't our fault. But it's still not draining.
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Wed May 03, 2017 3:21 am

Was going to work from home and apply for a passport. Couldn't find birth certificate. Spent all day looking, and found it just as the sun was setting. No work done. No passport.

Just realized today that a significant portion of my job is the drudgery parts of Papers Please. Makes the above even more depressing. I loathe what is imposed on me, just as I have imposed on others. The dark side of the golden rule.
Vulture

Postby Vulture » Wed May 03, 2017 7:32 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Had to have my cat put to sleep.

Always horrible to lose a pet you love. I had to do the same the day after you on the Monday.
axcalibar

Postby axcalibar » Wed May 03, 2017 8:09 pm

This happened in January, but... well you see...
1) My father's home, which I grew up in, burned to the ground.
2) My father was not found in the home... or anywhere. He is still missing.
3) My brother was found in the home.
You never know what someone is going through, so be kind.
Vulture

Postby Vulture » Wed May 03, 2017 9:30 pm

axcalibar wrote:This happened in January, but... well you see...

My commiserstions. That must be awful beyond belief. Don't know what else to say: that is really, really shit.
axcalibar

Postby axcalibar » Wed May 03, 2017 9:48 pm

Vulture wrote:

My commiserstions. That must be awful beyond belief. Don't know what else to say: that is really, really shit.

Thank you. To put it mildly. It's like something that shouldn't happen in real life. The real hell of it is (being a person who likes things to make sense) not knowing exactly what transpired.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu May 04, 2017 5:15 am

Thats horrible.Sorry to hear that such a thing has happened.

axcalibar wrote:The real hell of it is (being a person who likes things to make sense) not knowing exactly what transpired.

I can relate to that.The worst part of my fathers recent troubles were all the inconclusive tests.I even caught myself multiple times thinking "Let them just tell him that it IS cancer and get this whole uncertainty over with".

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”