Things that made you unhappy today (aren't cool)

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Steve C

Re: Things that made you unhappy today (aren't cool)

Postby Steve C » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:03 pm

Retsam, how did you figure out your account creation date? Was it *just* through sorting your email by date?

Because I have other gmail accounts and I decided I should check and see exactly what day they were created. As far as I can tell, account creation date is not listed in the settings anywhere.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:38 am

I found mine by going into Settings -> Forwarding and POP/IMAP and looking at the date on POP Download. At least, that was a solution I found online which seemed to work - though I suppose it assumes you haven't disabled it at some point in the interrim (dunno if there'd ever be a reason to).

Not 100% on that one, though.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:35 am

Yeah, I just reverse sorted my email and looked at the date on the "Welcome to Gmail!" email.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:22 am

I deleted that along with every other email I would never have reason to look at again. Crazy huh.

So anyway in the continuing saga that is accessing gmail... I have successfully logged in! Yay! I would like to say that support helped. That there was something I did. That there was some level of agency I had over an important account like my daily email account. Since this started I have been trying to log in multiple times per day. It just worked this time. It asked my email account, and my password to that account. And then I was let in with no other hoops to jump through. Anticlimactic but I'll take it!

The way Google handles a common problem like this is ridiculous. It makes no sense. You are on your own at the mercy of the whim of the system. If there had been a real person at the other end of this that had hacked my account (ex-girlfriend, coworker, a stranger who hacked in etc) then you are just screwed. There is nothing you can say or do to get that account back under your control.

Everybody is hereby warned-- Gmail's idea of security is a complete absence of support. Their primary goal is to say "not our fault" instead of actually trying to fix something. Don't lose access to someone because if you do, you'll never get it back.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:20 am

Ikea don't sell half-width doors for their bookcases. Not even one design. You'd think for a 60cm width bookshelf there might be consideration for double-doors but nope.
modus0

Postby modus0 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:37 pm

Woke up @4 am with a bad headache, front and back along with a case of nausea added in. Ended up throwing up once, and a second time retched enough to make my throat sore.

Just about any plans I had for things to do today have been pushed back to at least tomorrow.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:24 am

A few minutes ago my monitor went on the fritz and then died. Pretty sure whatever the problem is that it was fatal. It is already missed. Using a single monitor again feels weird.
krellen

Postby krellen » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:02 am

Apparently, headsets shaped like this simply don't exist any more:
Every other option available is some horrible abomination designed to crush my frames against my ears or bud-based. Why the hell aren't these wonderful things still made?
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:32 am

Same thing for stepped Caps Lock keys. :(
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:14 pm

krellen wrote:Apparently, headsets shaped like this simply don't exist any more...
Humanoid wrote:Same thing for stepped Caps Lock keys. :(
3D printing to the rescue!
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:19 pm

There has to be a site that'll personalize things to your ear-shape if you send them some reference photos.

After all, there are already far more, uh, frivolous products with customized 3D print options.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:09 pm

I'm right in the path of Hurricane Hermine. I think I'll be ok but not sure. I'm not on the coast but I live in North Florida and it will be coming right at me. We usually get glancing blows from these storms but it doesn't look like its going to happen this time.

I think the worst I'm going to suffer is power outages. But we'll see.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:28 am

Well I was mostly right. Power outage and one minor ceiling leak. Thank goodness I have a great landlord.

Then again, the center of the Hurricane just passed us. Something else might happen. But I think we lucked out a bit because the center passed through on the east side. We were spared the strongest winds.

Update: Storm is well past now. No power still and some roads are blocked, but otherwise fine. Got really lucky.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:08 pm

So I needed to update an app on my phone.No big deal,it was updated a bunch of times before.Just wait a bit to leave the wifiless pit,and...cant install,error 18.Wha?Try again,download again,install...error 18.The shit is this?Check online,corrupt file on sd card.Shit.Ok,move the app to the phone,download the update AGAIN ,install...error 18.*sigh*,unmount the card,download AGAIN!!!*,install FINALLY.Mount the card,try to move the app back....no can do.Screw you phone!It was just there a minute ago!*grumble*fine!Screw it.Ill deal with it later.

So later,I find that I have to delete the offending file.Remove the card,put it in the reader...nothing.Hmm,try a different card...nope.The reader is busted.From so much unuse,I guess.I hate you technology!

Ok,lets try it differently,this is what mobiledit is for.Connect the phone,find the offending folder and...cant open it.Ass!Copy doesnt work either.Ugh!Download a file manager,cant see it.A different file manager.Nope.Search online,there is a file manager that can do it.It requires the phone to be rooted.Oh for the love of....!!

Fine,Ill root the damned contraption.Lets see how.Hmm...needs usb connection.....and my cable is not home,because I always used wifi....

Deep breaths,calm down...Ok,Ill wait until tomorrow to get the cable.Whats this?Another app wants to update.Oh no,this one will ask to be moved to the phone as well.Here we go,download,install,...and it installed perfectly....

YOU MISERABLE LITTLE ASSHOLE!YOU ARE DOING THIS ON PURPOSE!!!

*Whose bright idea was to delete the file immediately,even if it did not install correctly?
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:10 pm

Swansea Football club got taken over by new American owners in August. They promised they weren't going to interfere with the day to day running of the (very successful club).

Our manager from last season, who had taken us from the relegation zone to 12th, got off to a bad start this season, losing 5 games out of 7. Those losses were to: Man City - who were unbeaten to date and one of the riches clubs in the world, Liverpool - who had only lost one game and have one of the best managers in the world, Southamption - who were 6th in the Premiership last year, Leicester - who won the Premiership and Hull - Hull was a bad result.

The other two results included a draw against Chelsea - one of the richest clubs in the world who also happen to have one of the best managers in the world.

Our manager had huge support from the fans and the general opinion was that Swansea had played excellently against Liverpool and Man City, unlucky not to get a draw. Both defeats came from penalties given late in the second half.

So naturally the American owners sack our manager (on his birthday), and hire Bob Bradley on the same day. An American who was currently coaching a second league French team, which in English terms is like coaching a kids football team (for comparison, Marseille, one of the top French sides in the top division, was finding it's players leaving to play for Swansea).

It absolutely stinks, it's incredibly disrespectful and it angers the fans. It's really led me to question what it is I support when I support a football team, because Swansea has really built it's identity around three things:

1. We're partially fan owned and fan-run
2. We play passing football.
3. We're the best Welsh football team in England.

In sacking our manager, the new owners didn't consult the Swansea Fans Trust who own 21% of the club. This is the first time they've not been consulted on something like this.
Bob Bradley plays defensive counterattacking football.
Bob Bradley is going on about what a great opportunity this is for American football (and if the American owners aren't also thinking that, then why the fuck did they hire Bob Bradley instead of someone who actually knows how to play with the big boys). If he uses the word 'soccer', someone is going to die.

So in the future is this going to be the club that I have supported? If everything I'd built my relationship with the club around changes, is the name of the club enough to keep the fandom going? Can you change the handle and head of your broom and still call it a broom?

Who knows? But I tell you one thing, our old manager was getting serenaded by the crowd even when we were losing to Liverpool. No-one will be cheering for Bob Bradley next match.
Kelerak

Postby Kelerak » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:40 pm

Oddly enough, my issue is also about football, but the one that doesn't involve feet. I know it's passé to talk about the culture that surrounds American football and how it's pretty much a staple of Americana at this point, but apparently football season means you can be a giant dick to your peers and your superiors about it and are allowed to whine about not being able to watch a game.

This more so ties into the faults of the disciplinary system where I'm at, but it's just stupid as hell how these kinds of people are just written off as "passionate" about their hobbies, at least where I am.

But yeah, that actual football news must suck, Thomas. Can't say I know what that's like, but I think I understand. Hopefully it doesn't get too bad.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:42 pm

I'm an entitled fan, don't take me too seriously! I'm sure by the end of the year I'll have forgotten all about this doomsday thinking, but it's a bit fresh.

And as actually horrible as it was for Francesco Guidolin (the old manager) to be mistreated like that, he's spent a lot of the time in the top leagues and he'd already been saying that he knows how it works with firing managers.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:31 am

Hey, the soccer-football and rugby-league-football teams from my home town have been in the shits for years, and I'm absolutely perfectly fine with no mental issues at all!

(breaks down crying)
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:26 am

Thomas, that line of thinking occurred for me as a child. That's when I stopped being interested in sports at all.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:52 am

Sports usually makes me unhappy, so it's unusual that I have nothing specific to complain about. Spurs are on the up and up, and although the late season collapse last season was more than slightly embarrassing, it still constituted the best league finish since 1987.

Meanwhile, in the football code that is played 50% by foot, Australian Rules football, my team has failed to win the league for the first time since 2012, but that's okay, my second team won it instead, and in the process denied two bitter rivals who were the joint favourites for the title. It's a great story because their one and only previous triumph was in 1954.

Obviously this belongs in the happy things thread, but eh.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:19 am

Watched Star Trek Beyond.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:02 pm

Two weeks later the Swansea situation isn't looking any better :( It's just becoming more and more clear from the comments of the neutrals and the fans and the performance on the pitch, that our old manager was doing his job properly, and he was sacked as a very callous business move, that if anything, was putting the club at risk. I'm going to have to go to some home games and hope the crowd and atmosphere can help me get behind Swansea again.

On the other hand, here's a quirky fact for you: Our new manager, Bob Bradley is currently the longest reigning manager for a Welsh Football League side.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:08 am

I do not wish to go into detail, but I am very unhappy with the way that the particular sickness I have today first made itself known.

Very.

Unhappy.
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:01 am

Had to call the cops on a door to door scammer today, and the cops just let the bastard go.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:12 am

Fridge started leaking water onto the floor. It was a frozen drain pipe that I managed to clear.

The part that made me unhappy is that I gave it more than enough time to defrost. At least enough time to start to defrost so it would be obvious it was ice blocking it rather than something else. I ended up thinking the blockage was something other than ice and started taking it apart. Nope. Just ice. Wasted 3 hours.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”