Off topic (is cool) thread

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Thomas

Re: Off topic (is cool) thread

Postby Thomas » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:45 am

It took me a long time to find even though I knew it existed (the search history was just pages of Agent of Shield), but this is our wonderful comics thread!
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=401&hilit=comics
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:55 am

So the cell phone providers in my country are trumpeting this 4g technology pretty hard.Hey its free,and they offer free internet with it,so I gave it a try.Its draining my battery awfully fast,but I had some fn with it.Been dicking around with google maps.Its a great merger of various technologies(gps,path finding and text to speech),but in a non english speaking country it just ends up sounding silly.I dont know if its funnier when the bot doesnt recognize the name at all and simply leaves a blank,or when it tries to pronounce the name in the stupidest way possible.

But hey,its still in development,so I applaud the effort.
krellen

Postby krellen » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:33 pm

Most of the places in my state have Spanish names, Daemian, so I share some of your amusement at the Google Maps voice. The pronunciation is often hilarious.
modus0

Postby modus0 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:42 pm

My sister has a phone plan out of San Francisco, which my mom's caller ID pronounces as "San Franscotta".

Things like that are probably also why we don't have computer-generated dialogue in video games yet.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:37 am

With tennis being the thing these days,every time someone mentions it,I get reminded of this.Makes sportsball conversations so much easier for me.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:59 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:This is so adorable.

Agreed. Allthough we do have one guy who totaly seems the kind of fellow who NEEDS to be introduced to Dark Souls right now.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:51 pm

4th Dimension wrote:
Daemian Lucifer wrote:This is so adorable.

Agreed. Allthough we do have one guy who totaly seems the kind of fellow who NEEDS to be introduced to Dark Souls right now.

I skimmed through other videos,and there is a "teens react to dark souls".Though I didnt watch it.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:52 am

I went back and watched it. It's interesting to see what mistakes they make simply because they are playing it totaly blind. Like they don't open the shortcut, a lot of them took mages or bandidts which require a bit more finesse than wariors, they fail to see the door through which you can flee the Assylum deamon. It's interesting because of that. As for the reactions, the best/worst was probably from a . . . how shall I say . . . a fabulous guy who was all like this is my type of game when he was watching the cinematic. And than he picked the mage and got roflstomped by DS being the charming uncaring misstress it is.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:46 am

This is also relevant to our recuring DRM discussions.
Ross of Freeman's Mind series is reviewing old and forgotten games that he liked, and in newest video he reviewed Battleforge an PvE PvP Online RTS that EA basically murdered. He is quite irked by that behaviour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmvcJuBOaQE
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:11 pm

Or he is an underaged girl whose photos somebody is trying to take, so this is a warning what will his death spirit do to them?
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:49 pm

Seven years ago, they made a film about the invention of the intermittent car windscreen wiper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Biy-okZ0l8
Never forget.

EDIT: Also why am I one of the people in the full moon episode? :P I think I missed the reference
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:18 pm

Thomas wrote:EDIT: Also why am I one of the people in the full moon episode? :P I think I missed the reference

The backer of that episode has a nickname Thomas. And since there is no way there is another guy that has the same name it's obviosly you buddy.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:27 pm

Well I guess I need to make some big life changes...
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:49 pm

Thomas wrote:Well I guess I need to make some big life changes...

We know, and we are here for you all the way, you know that. Together we'll either get those photograpghers off your back or find you a new job or help. ;)
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:36 am

Kneepad voltron .The weirdest thing to come out of Yahtzees mouth in a while.And thats saying something.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:03 pm

Wait,this was a thing?Ive long since known that d&d had some stupid rules,but this one is by far the dumbest of them all.Alignment languages,everybody.

Aside from krellen,raise your hand if you ever used this one,or at least knew its a thing.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:29 pm

Sure, those languages were old DnD. It makes more sense in context. Old school DnD treated the alignments like universal forces, rather than abstract ethical guidelines. Being part of an alignment meant being part of a faction, and like thieve's guilds with their cant, each faction had their set of hand signals and slang only known to that alignment.

Of course in practice most people did not treat alignments as literal personifications, leading to their modern day status as an expression of morality, behavior, and ethics. Thus, alignment languages fell by the wayside.
krellen

Postby krellen » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:41 pm

I have never played with a group that used Alignment Languages, even when playing older editions.

I do remember when the alignments were just Lawful, Neutral and Chaotic, though.
JadedDM

Postby JadedDM » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:14 pm

I knew about, but I've never used it or seen it used. (But I usually play 2nd Edition, and the language alignment thing had been dropped by that point).
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:44 am

Yeah, I knew about alignment languages. That was back when Elf was a class, and not even in the base rules...
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:38 am

I have an Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Players' Handbook which I was given by an uncle, so yes I did know about those.
Vulture

Postby Vulture » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:33 am

Yup - I used to play 1st edition AD&D (and never really switched to 2nd edition, and eventually didn't have time to play any more since then), so yeah, I remember alignment languages.

And get off my lawn, you kids.

AD&D always had elves, dwarves etc. as a race. It was the original Basic/Expert D&D that had them as separate classes, and only Lawful / Neutral / Chaotic alignments (ah, the joys of trying to play through "the Haunted Keep" from the Basic rulebook. Happy days).

Alignment languages were dumb though. As was "thieves cant", for much the same reason. I think we always had them listed on character sheets as known languages, but I can't recall that we ever made use of them.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”