Things that made you happy today (are cool)

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Daemian Lucifer

Re: Things that made you happy today (are cool)

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:19 pm

Wide And Nerdy wrote:Only problem is one of my meds is definitely making me hungrier than I used to be.

You should try getting a doctor to do your bloodwork and adjust your diet.I did this once,and managed to lose 30kg without any other adjustments(no exercise,no strict eating times and quantities).The only problem was that I had to give up my two favorite foods:Apples and potatoes*.So I said screw it,and got those 30 back.Still,it took me much longer to get the kilos back(about 2,3 years)than if I tried a more conventional method of weight loss.

*That was me.It doesnt mean that everyone who stops eating apples and potatoes will automatically lose weight.Also,that wasnt the only food I gave up,just the most important for me.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:31 pm

Less than 24 hours after I drop $150 on the Steam sale, I get an offer at work to come in on Saturday for a full shift of overtime pay, which will make it back. Awesome.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:19 pm

Got another Overtime Saturday, bringing my OT total for this week to 13. Work is a fucking mess. I'm in a nutritional supplement plant. Production is 2 months behind. We're on backorder for a lot of shit. Distributors are screaming at our boss' bosses. Our boss's bosses are screaming at our bosses. My boss isn't screaming at me. He's cool.

But if work is such a shitshow, why am I happy? Cuz the OT so far is voluntary, and although it's real tiring to only get 1 day of rest from a menial labor job, I'm saving the OT money and am gonna buy a PS4 when I hit 30 OT hours. Or a Switch. I haven't decided. But I'm looking forward to that.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:24 pm

HOLY FUCKING SHIT ACE COMBAT 7 IS COMING OUT ON PC HOW HAVE I NOT HEARD ABOUT THIS BEFORE

HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE

...On the other hand, that takes out a big reason why I was gonna get a PS4...
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:55 pm

Just discovered there's this thing called coolsculpting. Much safer and more affordable than lipo and it reduces your set point. Its given me a new burst of hope about losing weight. Basically you go in for a couple of hours and freeze the fat off.

I'd still diet but this could also be a big help.
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:26 pm

Bought a house in our home town; Slept in our own room last night. After living in other people's houses, a bus, a van (down by the river), and a tent for a year and a half, this is quite fulfilling.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:22 am

So over the past few months I've been making some small adjustments to my diet, namely making fruit smoothies for lunch most days and basically having roasted vegetables for dinner half the week. Drink water or unsweetened tea, also have a cup of green tea every day. I checked my weight again this week and I actually have lost almost 10 pounds off of my highest weight. It's not a huge loss but I have never actually been able to see results off of trying to be healthier before, so I'm suddenly extremely encouraged.
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:33 am

I got a guest piece featured on a pretty awesome webcomic today. That's a confidence booster!
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:31 pm

Narratorway wrote:I got a guest piece featured on a pretty awesome webcomic today. That's a confidence booster!
Yeah! That turned out very professional looking. If only it didn't take so long, eh?
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:31 am

It actually only took about a week actually. My original concept was significantly more ambitious, which had me putting it off until the last minute.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:54 pm

Whatever change Shamus needed to make to the site has been made such that I can visit the site again (I was blocked from the blog, not the forums). Its been a couple of months at least. Since shortly after the drama that ended Shamus's involvement with Spoiler Warning.

Its good to be back.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:15 am

Australia's national broadband network project might be controversial and not as good as it could be, but all I know is that today my Internet is approximately ten times faster than it was yesterday, so I'm not going to quibble. It's gone from ADSL2 at about 1.2MB/s peak to VDSL2 at about 12MB/s peak.

In other good news, it's been about a week and a half since I had surgery to correct my septum and I've now largely returned to normal function. The surgeon estimated two weeks for being ready-to-work and a full month for full recovery so I'm happy with how it's progressing. Breathing can tickle a bit due to the sutures in my nose though...
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:47 pm

Humanoid wrote:It's gone from ADSL2 at about 1.2MB/s peak to VDSL2 at about 12MB/s peak.

Im always baffled when I hear about a country leagues above mine in practically all standards of living having worse internet than I had a couple of years ago.You guys have literally 100 times bigger salaries than the same professions in my country,so why do I have 5 times better net speed than you?It just makes no sense.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:25 pm

Sigh. The thread for 'things that make you happy (are cool)' is definitely not the right place for this as your question makes me sad and depressed. Canada is the poster-child for this shit. Canada has the worst/highest cost internet of all the developed countries. The reason is that telecoms have always gotten away with gouging Canadians.

It's bad because there's no competition. Or rather, the telecoms view adding more internet service *as* competition. Internet service comes in via the telephone infrastructure, the cable TV infrastructure or the cell phone infrastructure. And the content provided (TV, newspaper, radio, etc) is owned by those same companies too. One company is deep into all 4. And then a different company is deep into all 4. This is the root of all the problems in two different ways...

First any new company that attempts to enter the market is competing against giant companies that have full vertical integration and full horizontal integration. A new company literally has to buy their own internet from the big players in order to resell it. The big companies can't completely lock out new companies due to regulations. They can sabotage smaller companies with the combination of bureaucracy and high prices. Like if a giant monolithic company takes an extra week to hook something up, is that because they are being obstructionist or because they are incompetent? The big companies are very competent at being incompetent (which is legal) without being obstructionist (which is illegal.) If a new company ends up being successful against these odds, they are bought up by the big companies. Then the cycle repeats.

Second and more importantly the way the big companies have full vertical integration and full horizontal integration creates an incentive to bottleneck everything. Canadian telecoms don't want to provide internet. They just kind of have to. Internet competes against all their other holdings. Revenue streams for businesses they already have a lock on. For example, if you have good internet you can ditch your satellite TV (which they own). Good internet means consumers will not be watching adverts that they control. Nor will consumers be watching Canadian shows that they own and sold. Good internet means that consumers can rely on internet more and on their cellphone less. They own the cellphones and landlines. Less phone usage means less minutes they can charge for. Plus if wire run internet infrastructure is so bad it is unusable (aka everywhere that is not bright red) then consumers are forced to buy it through more expensive means like cellphones and satellite. (That's more of a cherry on the top of a small market with a very long tail though. Not important due to scale. Very important to individual managers who's petty fiefdom is threatened by cheap internet coming in.)

The internet sucks in Canada because good internet makes everything else less profitable for the suppliers providing the internet.
krellen

Postby krellen » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:48 am

Shorter answer: internet is always going to be more expensive in less densely populated countries because the return on investment for communication infrastructure is way, way worse. The US government had to literally pay telecoms to run phone lines to rural communities, and has not mustered the political will to do the same with internet. Australia and Canada have a lot in common with the US in this regard.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:50 am

Yes and no. That is a rationale that is often cited. There is some truth to it. More accurately it is a sliver of justification that is blown out of proportion (at least in Canada's case). Canada both proves and disproves it based on population density. I described it above as the small market with a very long tail. That tail isn't waging the dog though. Canada is in the unique demographic position to have both high density, and low density. So it's reasonable to segment parts of Canada to compare to other relevant parts of the world. When you do that, Canada still sucks across the board.

Canada is a huge country with a pop density of less than 1 person per square km for most of it. However most live in the same long thin band along the south. Where a country with a pop distribution like the USA needs a web of communication, Canada needs more of a vine.

If population density was the deciding factor for RoE on internet infrastructure, then there would be very clear divides in cost in Canada between urban and rural internet. And there is! Like I said there is truth to it. If that explained it entirely then the difference in price and bandwidth would be a lot greater. As it is they are at least an order of magnitude off. Canada's cities are not slouches. Internet in say Toronto should be excellent and cheap. It's neither. The average internet everywhere in Canada sucks. Including Toronto and Montreal which are both densely populated and major internet hubs for all of North America. (Plus there's Waterloo when you want to talk internet backbone. It has the University of Waterloo, a major engineering school and one of the original internet Hubs, home to Blackberry... and shit internet for everyone.)

In terms of pure backbone infrastructure, Canada is probably best positioned historically and geographically out of all countries to make it cheap (excluding tiny ones like Hong Kong). The population hugs the Great Lakes. You know what's cheaper than digging up all of Europe to run fibreoptic? Running subsea cable through the Lakes. That's what we've already got for telecommunications now... but not internet. They are finally just now running dedicated fibre from Toronto to Buffalo this year. We should have had that years ago. The rest of the country is the same in the rural/urban divide and the surprising lack of differences in internet. The Prairies are big, flat and empty except for the cities. Sure, rural areas should be screwed but the cities should be fine. Nope. The cities have bad internet and the rural areas have worse. There is no economic or geographical justification for the cities in Canada to have shit internet compared to Europe. There is plenty of reason for Europe to be more expensive.

Above I mentioned small companies that attempt to make a go of it in Canada. There's been no shortage of them over the past 2 decades. They all felt comfortable enough putting big dollars behind that they could make good/fast/cheap internet in Canada and be economically viable. Some fail. Some succeed. They *all* get gobbled up by the big companies that are really good at protecting their turf. These small companies do the smart thing and go after the high density pop centers that have shit service. The problem they all run into is that they have to deal with the big existing companies on both ends that squeeze them until they give up or give in.

Oh and for comparison, I pay $80/month for 5M/1M up/down and a 80Gig cap. It is overpriced and pathetic. That's max too. My average is often less than half that. There's simply no pressure in Canada to keep the price down and the quality up.

(BTW Canada paid for telecoms to run phone lines back in the day too. I still remember the urban surcharge to cover it on rural phone bills.)
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:11 am

The reason the current project is government-backed is that otherwise all the for-profit companies would cherry pick the most profitable sites leaving the rest with bugger-all in terms of available services. Instead the network is built by the government with standardised access costs to resellers, such that city folk are subsiding those in the bush who no company would bother with otherwise. I don't want to go much further into the rationale as it'll drift into political discussion, save to say I am relatively lucky to have trouble-free access at close to the maximum theoretical speeds.

$80AUD/500GB/100Mbit for what it's worth.
Moridin

Postby Moridin » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:49 am

Apart from the factors already mentioned, there's also the question of existing infrastructure. If you already have existing infrastructure(like most countries with high standards of living do), the bar to upgrade is pretty high. If you don't have existing infrastructure(or it finally gets terrible enough to require upgrading), what you're going to get is at least modern even if it isn't top-of-the-line. Hence countries where internet coverage has been good for a while have areas(especially with low population density) where connection types are restricted to those available using phonelines, while in developing countries you're more likely to have fiber.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:18 pm

Thing that made me happy today: Pronouncing "Lynyrd Skynyrd" as though it was Swedish.
John

Postby John » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:12 pm

And so, as we lay to rest the mortal remains of our friend Monte Cristo Sandwich to rest here in the waste bin, let us remember not his demise in the miserable Florida heat nor the millions of bacteria with which his remains are no doubt teeming. Rather, let us remember the joy he brought to our lives while we were still in the restaurant. Let us remember the crunch of his battered exterior, the contrast of flavors between the jam and powdered sugar on the one hand and the turkey and melted cheese on the other, and the fact that we are so very, very full. If we must lament, let us lament that we did not meet Mr. Sandwich when we were younger, teenagers perhaps, and still capable of eating that much. But let us also rejoice that we found Mr. Sandwich in time to enjoy him as much as we did. He will be missed, but his memory will always be with us. Amen.

The sandwich was delicious, if that wasn't clear. It's been a long time since I had a Monte Cristo sandwich, and the last one I had was a real disappointment. It was neither battered nor friend and pretty much indistinguishable from a turkey club. This was a proper Monte Cristo. I may never be hungry again.
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:17 pm

Got mah tires replaced on mah car. The original tires were recommended to be replaced when I first got the thing back in April of last year and I only did it now because my mechanic said the sound coming from the front passenger side wasn't the bearing going out, but my deformed tire rubbing 'gainst the frame and I was risking a blowout. Even THAT wouldn't have been enough...except I'm planning a trip with the car down to Di'nyland so...I mean...if I haaaaave to.

But anyway Holy Shit! The best analogy I can figure for the feeling of driving that car off the parking lot with brand new tires is the difference between watching VHS, then skipping DVD's 'n Blu Rays and going straight to 4k! It was like, "Oh yeah that's right! You're supposed to be able to control the car when you're driving. Totally forgot that was a thing cars did!"
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:25 pm

I was asked to do something that needed to be done tomorrow. We didn't know how long it would take as two other team members had already tried to solve the problem. I shocked them by solving it in 8 minutes. Honestly its not anything that would impress the devs here. Due to budget we have a crew of self taught noobs and I happen to have the most self teaching and experience. Its just nice to be needed. They just wanted their output grouped in nested subcategories. They were fussing over the query. I saw that they already had the output they needed and added a test to the loop to add headings.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:06 am

In the ten years I've lived at my current residence, I've had the annoying problem of there being a convenient bus route all day on weekdays within a few minutes walk, but which didn't run on weekends. This forced me to walk to a farther bus stop to board a bus that took three times longer to reach the destination and ran a quarter as often. Most weekends I'd opt to just stay at home.

Starting October, the weekday bus route will now run all week. Yayification!
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:25 pm

I just completed and passed both of my A+ certification exams. I am more than a bit pleased by this.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:21 am

Australia has a national sport - the Australia Football League - that is only played seriously in about 2.5 States of the Country.

The Grand Final (Superbowl, Finals, Championship Decider... as you will) is this Saturday. On the Friday before the Saturday for longer than I've been alive there has been a Grand Final parade through Melbourne's CBD area with the 2 competing teams (the Grand Final is always in Melbourne).

Last year, for the first time ever, our State Premier declared that Grand Final Eve would be a public holiday because we're a bogan nation in that way.

The same State Premier is still in office today.

I had forgotten all about the public holiday until earlier today.

So yay! Holiday tomorrow!

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”