Things that made you happy today (are cool)

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Thomas

Re: Things that made you happy today (are cool)

Postby Thomas » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:56 pm

That's something to make a guy happy :) And a fairly brilliant move. - Also Golden Balls is the second weirdest gameshow after Deal or No Deal
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:10 pm

....I can't believe anyone can say the name of that show with a straight face.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:54 am

This is off-topic because this thought didn't make me happy today, but the Prisoner's Dilemma is always used to advertise game theory to people, but actually I've always thought it highlights it's weaknesses.

1) Despite the maths and logic being one of the simplest cases, in the real world people frequently don't pick the 'correct' answer, even in highly artificial scenarios where the game is played exactly in the form modelled - it's got weak predictive power.

2) Small changes in the prisoner's dilemma lead to wildly different results (ie, if you played a best out of three, or the cost for both people stealing was greater than the cost for splitting whilst the other person stole) - it's very sensitive to modelling assumptions.

3) If everyone used game theory when playing the Prisoner's Dilemma then everybody would always lose.

They aren't undefeatable weaknesses, just the Prisoner's Dilemma always makes me think about them.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:34 pm

Thats because humans are not logical beings.Prisoners dilemma,and other logic puzzles,work only if you assume that the entities in them are not human.

Thats why that guy in that clip has the correct idea.He removes the greed component by telling his opponent that if he tries to steal,he will 100% lose.But by trusting his opponent to give him money later,he still has some small chance to get a prize.

Also,that show is kind of a reverse prisoners dilemma,because no one is getting punished,and all they have to lose is a prize that they didnt even have to begin with.The stakes are kind of lower because of that.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:22 pm

Thats my point. The prisoner's dilemma gets used as an example of how great game theory is, but it also makes it very obvious that people don't behave like that.
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:43 am

Moved into my new 4 bed link detached house (with conservatory, garage and double driveway). When did I become a person with a big house?

Bit poor now though....
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:50 pm

While I wasn't paying attention, LED bulbs became cheaper to buy than CFLs. Given the other advantages (rise time, lifespan, energy consumption, hazardous nature of waste when they eventually die) it's ridiculous to buy CFLs now. At five bucks a throw, might as well go for the one that lasts ten times longer.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:26 pm

So I mentioned in the other thread that we had a Hurricane. This is the worst in terms of impact to my area in thirty years. But I have power back after a mere 36 hours.

Good news considering that they said it was going to be a week before getting power back to 90 percent of residents. It feels like winning the lottery.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:33 pm

Wide And Nerdy wrote:So I mentioned in the other thread that we had a Hurricane. This is the worst in terms of impact to my area in thirty years. But I have power back after a mere 36 hours.

Good news considering that they said it was going to be a week before getting power back to 90 percent of residents. It feels like winning the lottery.

You around a fire station or hospital? When a hurricane blew through in my teen years we got out power back in 24 hours cuz we were on the same grid as some emergency services.

Also, glad to hear you came out of the hurricane well, mate.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:11 pm

Yes. I'm near one of the two big hospitals here. That probably helped. Also just being in the middle of town
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:00 am

Hosted a Labor Day BBQ for 10 people. It went well.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:36 pm

Finally got internet back late last night. 5 days without internet. I'd been making these posts via my phone. I have a little more sympathy for Rutskarn.

It was driving me nuts not being able to download updates and I became very aware of just how often I alt tab out of games to look at other stuff.
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:23 am

I found out this weekend that I'm going to be a dad for the 2nd time.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:01 pm

Congratulations!
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:25 am

Thomas wrote:Congratulations!

Thanks man!
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:23 pm

Monday night my entire city has power back finally. Took over a week.

There was a bit of a kerfuffle when the Governor offered to send in additional help and the Mayor declined. I understand the reasoning in that they didn't need the "cut and toss" help with power lines but they definitely needed other help and the Mayor should have just said "could you get me X" instead he said "Thanks, we have it covered" while people were still without power. The two men are of different parties so it came off as posturing. Thankfully, the Governor figured out what the Mayor really needed and went and found other helpers. After the story hit watchdog sites, the Mayor accepted the help.

Makes me happy because people here don't normally pay attention to local politics and, without getting into detail, they should be. Its like at the national level. As bad as things are, the heightened awareness is hopefully going to be of benefit down the road.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:09 pm

This morning,I was woken up pretty rudely by my computer being stuck in an update loop(update,reboot,start updating from scratch).Normally I dont register the startup beep,but this time it kept repeating every minute or so.Quite annoying.Luckily,the modem was unaffected,so used my phone to search for a solution.No luck,I had to revert to the previous state.Fine,Ill do that.

Rpc server is unavailable.What?Ok,fine,Ill try the safe mode.Rpc server is unavailable.The fuck is this?Remote procedure call.Ummm,what?Why the heck does it need a remote procedure call server to log me in on my local machine?Aside:dont you just love all this background processes that all give "XYZ failed" as the first few dozen google results?

Screw it,Im late for work already.

So I went to work,did some more digging,and apparently Ill have to mess with the registry.Shit,I dont want to do that on a good day,let alone today.Fine,whatever.

So I get back home,and lets first try the recovery again.No luck.And the clean image I have is from 2 years ago.Which wouldnt be too bad if not for the massive backup of both my phone and my work laptop that I decided to "keep on my desktop until I clean it up a bit"(yes,I am still making this mistake,even after the last two times it bit me in the ass).

Fine,lets try the simplest solution first.It seems that the registry got borked and I lost the rpclocator.Luckily,it seems that regbak keeps a copy of that.So lets first try and copy that.It works.Huh.That was rather easy.Hurray!

Ok then,first,lets turn off the updater.I shouldve known it was trouble back with the win10 hassle,but I still kept it on because it didnt bother me that often,and it worked its magic when I was sleeping anyway(no forced installs of 10 either).Second,lets move this shit from my desktop to....huh...I seem to be lacking space....Oh well,Ill clean it up some other time.Its not like itll get broken again soon.

And thats the story of how I managed to fix my computer that microsoft broke,and how I learned nothing in the process.
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:56 am

Changed out the really stupid lightbulbs in the fifteen foot high ceiling that we didn't dare use because a) way too bright, unless you liked feeling like someone was arc welding above your head and b) running roughly 250% of the rated load on the dimmer switch, so it got frighteningly hot. That room did NOT need NINE 75W halogen spotlights. No way, no how. Swapped them out for some fancy LEDs that are still dimmable (and even play with their colour temperature when dimmed to mimic incandescents), rated to match 65W incandescents (and actually use 9W at maximum draw, so we cut the load by a factor of EIGHT), and floods rather than spots.

Now the only thing wrong with that lighting is that the numbskull who put it in not only way overloaded the circuit with his original spec, he put the dimmer in upside-down. Maximum brightness is at the lowest point of the slider's travel.

Oh well. At least I got an eleven foot pole out of the deal, and it's even collapsible. I can make the world's least practical broom if I want to.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:17 am

Now the only thing wrong with that lighting is that the numbskull who put it in not only way overloaded the circuit with his original spec, he put the dimmer in upside-down. Maximum brightness is at the lowest point of the slider's travel.
That should be significantly easier to fix than changing the light-bulbs (literally). Likely all you need to do is unscrew the dimmer switch plate, pull out the switch, rotate it 180, and screw it back in. Not hard at all. Well unless it is some weird freak switch (which it could be.)
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:54 pm

Steve C wrote:
That should be significantly easier to fix than changing the light-bulbs (literally). Likely all you need to do is unscrew the dimmer switch plate, pull out the switch, rotate it 180, and screw it back in. Not hard at all. Well unless it is some weird freak switch (which it could be.)

Yeah, I'm just paranoid enough about opening up the cover plate that I refuse to do it without popping the breakers. All of the breakers. To be fair, I have a history with electricity (pro tip: 240V RMS at 50Hz does not taste delicious, so don't strip wires with your teeth) and I'm a bit scared of it. Not as scared as I am of gas plumbing, but close.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:33 am

Shouldn't you have a main breaker that turns off all the power? Apart from the normal circuit breakers/fuses.
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:21 pm

Got to see War for free last night. They were playing at our local Grape Festival and my aunt runs one of the ticket booths. Perks baby!

Lachlan the Mad
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Mad » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:58 pm

Narratorway wrote:Got to see War for free last night. They were playing at our local Grape Festival and my aunt runs one of the ticket booths. Perks baby!

But did they ever change?
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:34 pm

The temptation to go there was strong seeing as how there's only one remaining member from the original lineup.
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:24 am

Kid's started requesting The Hobbit by title. She's not even three yet.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”