Things that made you happy today (are cool)

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Supahewok

Re: Things that made you happy today (are cool)

Post by Supahewok » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:23 am

McNutcase wrote:Kid's started requesting The Hobbit by title. She's not even three yet.
My dad gave me my own copy of the Hobbit for Christmas around the time I was 5 or so, after he'd read it to me and I wore out his old paperback reading it myself. He gave me one with a bunch of illustrations of iconic scenes. It's still one of my most prized possessions. Maybe something to consider for the future?
yvhzine

Post by yvhzine » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:25 am

Purchased a Galaxy S7 and it is great. The Smart Switch is really a nice tool to migrate from iPhone to Samsung. It only takes 3 clicks to fully transfer data from one my iPhone to Galaxy S7.
Charnel Mouse

Post by Charnel Mouse » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:21 pm

Between my daughter turning one, getting a post-corrections pass on the postgrad, and getting an offer for a postdoc soon afterwards, this hasn't been a bad week.
McNutcase

Post by McNutcase » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:45 am

Trader Joe's had bourbon barrel aged maple syrup when I went in today. My god, this stuff is incredible. Spendy, but incredibly good. Just has that slight edge to the flavour, while still being gorgeously smooth.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Post by Lachlan the Sane » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:06 am

Today's thing that was not disappointing: Google Image Search for "Steampunk Flavor Flav".
Steve C

Post by Steve C » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:50 pm

The wedding in Warframe made me happy. A couple got married in game and DE (the developer) went all out in making it special. They brought out a special character model too for the community manager that is well... special. DE is really cool that way.
Kelerak

Post by Kelerak » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:59 pm

Arby 'N The Chief ruined the idea of video game weddings for me.

Still, that's super cool that this was arranged by a dev. That's community dedication right there.
McNutcase

Post by McNutcase » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:19 am

Kid started preschool today, and she LOVES it.
Wide And Nerdy

Post by Wide And Nerdy » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:26 pm

I've been fretting about Christmas but yesterday I remembered something.

I keep forgetting to use my medical flexible spending account. I can submit receipts for my copays on meds and visits and get the money back for nearly a year of purchases at this point. Which should be plenty to cover Christmas purchases and maybe even chip in towards finally upgrading my 6 year old motherboard/cpu/ram.
McNutcase

Post by McNutcase » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:40 am

Bought the tools I need to fix my car, and ordered the part I need to swap out (coolant temperature sensor; both brains are complaining about it being bad, so it's a decent bet that chucking a new one at it will fix things). I'm mildly amazed that my enormous hands will still let me get deep enough into the engine bay to swap out a sensor that Volvo decided to put in the cylinder head, right under the intake runner for #3 cylinder. Benefits of RWD, I guess; I can get far enough under there to slap a deep 19mm socket on there, with a ujoint, and then a nice long extension will get things out where there's space to swing a wrench. Then I can bust loose the old sensor (assuming it'll come out; brass sensor in aluminium cylinder head, that could be Fun and require me to hit it with some liquid wrench), jam the new one in Indiana Jones style (but without the huge rock), and then top up the coolant because it's gonna dump a little in the process.
Retsam

Post by Retsam » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:46 am

The Chicago Cubs ended the 108-year drought tonight by winning an absolute roller-coaster of a 7th game to a tied 3-3 series in extra innings, against the team with the second longest drought. As my friend (and others) are so fond of pointing out: the last time the Cubs won, the Ottoman Empire was still around. I'm not a huge sports person, in general, but I grew up rooting for the Cubs living on the wrong side of Chicago to be rooting for the Cubs. (Some people think that in Chicago you get to root for two baseball teams: they're wrong, North Side is Cubs territory and South Sides is White Sox)

So, yeah, this is a pretty big deal; and it's been a pretty wild ride up to this point. I just hope Chicago doesn't burn to the ground tonight.
grahams_xwing

Post by grahams_xwing » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:40 pm

Have given in to the temptation and binge watched/listened to all of the Aquisition Incorporated D&D Podcasts while at work.
Got in trouble a little for time wasting....

Don't care!

"DOUBLE AXE TO THE BAAAAAAACK"
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Post by Lachlan the Sane » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:18 am

Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:39 am

Steve C wrote:Butter robot!
That little guy is adorable.
Retsam

Post by Retsam » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:23 pm

I was 100% expecting that to be a rickroll.
Lachlan the Mad wrote:[tumblr story]
Reminds me of my favorite green text:

Kelerak

Post by Kelerak » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:30 pm

I was given an extra RAM stick, so now I'm back to running my PC like normal.
McNutcase

Post by McNutcase » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:58 pm

Grocery store gave me a free $50 Steam gift card.
lurkey

Post by lurkey » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:26 am

Somewhat Rutskarn'ish very serious research paper on very serious aspect of Oblivion.
McNutcase

Post by McNutcase » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:14 am

New glasses only cost me $75. That's the first time I've paid less than three figures... ever. My parents probably managed to get them cheap, back when they were paying, but my glasses have never, since I've been paying for them, been fewer than 100 local currency units.
Humanoid

Post by Humanoid » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:46 am

In a week where the team I support strolled to a 5-0 win (sorry Thomas) in the EPL, it still didn't make me as happy as Liverpool's humiliating 3-4 capitulation to Bournemouth.

In less important news, my landlord is probably going to sell the property which I've been renting from him for the past 10 years. I think I'm going to buy it, which means finally being able to make improvements like installing air conditioning. Assuming I can get the money together of course, or this might have to be moved to the unhappy thread in future.
Thomas

Post by Thomas » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:18 am

In some ways the result makes me happy too because it might force the board to get a new manager sooner rather than later.

In real happy news I went up to visit the people who had settled down in our uni city and it was really lovely. Also walked around the uni campus and in just 2 years I think they've built another 4-5 buildings and the architecture is so good its actually made some older dodgier buildings look better too. That's a real skill in design.
grahams_xwing

Post by grahams_xwing » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:05 am

Humanoid wrote:In a week where the team I support strolled to a 5-0 win (sorry Thomas) in the EPL, it still didn't make me as happy as Liverpool's humiliating 3-4 capitulation to Bournemouth.
In a small, unimportant thread of a relatively modest forum tucked away in a unassuming corner of the internet... do I spy a fellow Spurs fan?

COYS!
Humanoid

Post by Humanoid » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:36 pm

Yeah, though largely by accident. Late 90s, I was an average Aussie teenager who knew very little about (association) football, and Australian Rules football was of course the dominant sport in my region. The newspapers carried single articles that needed to cover the entire league's results in a few paragraphs, and the only readily accessible footage was a 1 hour weekly highlights package.

World Cup '98 rolls around, and my dad watches it a fair bit, mainly watching (West) Germany because he lived there a few years back in the 70s. Jürgen Klinsmann of course was their star player, but the tournament comes and goes without me being particularly interested in the sport.

Finding myself bored somewhere between a few months and a year later, I randomly install the Championship Manager 97/98 demo off a demo CD from some older PC magazine. Not knowing who to play as I simply search for the only player I know, and play as this team I'd never heard of who he happened to play for. Back then I knew absolutely nothing of the circumstances in which he was there, that he'd already left and retired prior to that World Cup, that it was just a six-month stint years after his first, that he rescued us from relegation, and that the team overall really was rather terrible. All those details I didn't learn until years later when that kind of thing finally became readily available on the Internet.

So yeah, it was all really just happenstance. Hell, if that CM demo hadn't been updated for the mid-season transfers (surprising in itself) I might be a Sampdoria fan right now. But I did end up buying the full version of the game, getting better acquainted with the team, and I tried to keep up with real life results as they happened though that remained difficult for some years yet. That one decision has cost me a lot of money and given me a lot of grief over the years, but such is sport.

P.S. And to keep up with the pretense of this thread, both the Arsenal and Leicester losses yesterday made me rather happy waking up after an awful hot night.