Things that made you happy today (are cool)

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Ygor

Re: Things that made you happy today (are cool)

Postby Ygor » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:09 am

Thomas wrote:I went sailing the first time and I loved it :)

I'm jealous. I get seasick really easy, so my dream to be a pirate will never be realized. :(

Other than that, I'm having a one week vacation that I'll spend in the countryside, that after all these weeks spent in various offices feels like a godsend.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:58 am

Ygor wrote:
Thomas wrote:I went sailing the first time and I loved it :)

I'm jealous. I get seasick really easy, so my dream to be a pirate will never be realized. :(

Go to some torrents and fulfill your dream the easy way.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:19 pm

I like to put ice in my coffee so I can drink it quickly. I'd never stopped to think about how perfectly suited ice is for this job. Because its frozen form is less dense than its liquid state, it floats. But the cold water it releases is more dense than the warm liquid its being released into and so that sinks to the bottom, stirring the liquid. I just think its kind of neat how that works out.

You could say "well we would have gone with something else" but I think if ice happened to sink, we'd still use it. We'd just stir the drink more.

Then again, it doesn't workout so nicely when you put ice in a cooler beverage such that you're sipping the drink through the ice.

Am I just a boring person or what?
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:49 pm

If ice sank, life couldn't exist on earth, because the whole ocean would freeze during ice ages and the planet wouldn't be able to unfreeze.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:10 pm

Lachlan the Mad wrote:If ice sank, life couldn't exist on earth, because the whole ocean would freeze during ice ages and the planet wouldn't be able to unfreeze.

Sure, I'm not trying to make this into an anthropic principle vs design argument. I just thought it was neat how this worked out.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:39 am

I made the pilgrimage that all British millennials make eventually and visited the Warner Bros Harry Potter studios.

It was even better than I'd been expecting. Put it this way, I've just been on holiday to the alps for two weeks. If I had to choose between doing that and visiting the studios, I'd choose to visit the studios.

Even if the world of Harry Potter wasn't utterly magical, even if it wasn't the cornerstone* of my generations culture and my specific formative years, the visit would still have been worth making because Harry Potter is an absolutely unique artifact in film production history. 8 films, across 10 years, with fantastical environments all suited to unique sets, lots of practical effects and routinely involving scenes with hundreds of extras.

Can you imagine the art and design and construction challenge in making all that stuff? They carved 2,000 wands. Each named actor had his own unique wand design. Every school child had to have wizard robes, every set had to be crammed full of doo-dads and artefacts. Snape's dungeon involved hand labelling 500 jars of dressed up toy animals, butchers bones glued together into fantastic creatures and herbs and weeds.

And I can confirm they were absolutely meticulous. The stool the sorting hat stood on had Hogwarts crests carved into its rim. The oil paintings were all painted for Harry Potter and the witches and wizards in them would have things like the Hogwarts crest painted on their broaches. In Ollivander's shop they hand labelled 17,000 wand cases.

Everything, everything had concept art and prototypes and detailed blueprints. There are full architectural plans for a House-Elf suit of armour which is a piece of background element I never noticed.

And the thing is the world of Harry Potteris utterly magical, even if it is the cornerstone* of my generations culture and my specific formative years. So I was geeking out just out the giant chess pieces outside the building (btw the Goblet of Fire is a Pokestop).

It's really well designed too, this is something the American friends will probably understand because I hear that over there you understand about customer service and how to make visitors to theme-parks feel special and treasured - in the UK a theme park is a scattering of roller coasters trudged around in the rain with a couple of miserable soaked safety advisors shaking your seat bindings. But the Harry Potter studios really embraced the Disney idea that you can take our money and have us worshipping at the altar. When I saw the Hogwarts express for the first time, I felt like Harry Potter. There's a scene in the books where Harry is walking through Diagon Alley and three kids are pressing their noses against the window of shop and yelling to each other "It's a Nimbus 2000!", when I was walking through Diagon Alley a couple of kids yelled "It's a nimbus 2000!" and rushed to crowd over the shop with it.

Even the shop is set-up to feel like a place of wonder. You walk into it and it's stacked top to bottom with higgedly piggedly wand cases and each one has a wand inside. I'd never have believed I wanted to own one before, but I only got out of it this time by promising myself that when I come back, I'm buying Luna Lovegood's wand.

Best of all, during film they constructed a full 3D model of Hogwarts that's maybe 30ft wide and 10ft tall. They keep it a surprise till the end of the tour and when I walked round the corner and into that, my jaw literally, actually dropped. I've never seen anything like it. I could have stayed in that room for an hour.

So, if you couldn't tell, I'm very happy today.

*I would very willingly make the case that this is not hyperbole. The whole YA genre is only a thing because Harry Potter existed. Before Harry Potter the idea of kids books making it into bestsellers lists was absurd, now people are complaining about how frequently they dominate. It's the only book which its not only likely kids of a particular age have read, but have read multiple times - and childhood reading is the best indicator for academic success because comprehension of questions and learning material is a _huge_ barrier to school. Without the Harry Potter franchise and the ensuing YA marketing and franchising drive it's possible that Marvel films wouldn't have taken off, or at least that they'd have been delayed in coming and so on.
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:21 am

So I was just back from getting groceries when the garbage truck came by to collect our biodegradable waste for composting. The driver saw me taking the groceries in, so he left the bin on the sidewalk rather than in the street for me. Just a tiny thing that he didn't have to do, but did.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:31 am

Completed my ghetto speaker stands. To be honest, it's kinda scary, as if one day they'll collapse and crush me, but at least my positional audio will no longer be stupidly out of whack. Fortunately I remembered my high school maths and the stands are reasonably balanced, and the speakers are secured with Blu-tack for that extra peace of mind.

modus0

Postby modus0 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:53 pm

This really applies to yesterday, but I was tired at the end of the day so...

My new EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 FTW card arrived, and after an excessively long time downloading the drivers (seriously, Frontiernet SUCKS!) got everything set back up the way I wanted, and decided to see just how high I can crank the graphics setting in Fallout 4 before the framerate starts dropping.

Turns out, with everything maxed (aside from anisotropic filtering) the game still hangs around 58-60 FPS. A lot better than the Medium-quality 30 FPS average my 660 Ti got.

I've also got a 3D graphics program that recently added a version of the Cycles render engine that Blender uses, and it has the option to go between CPU or GPU for rendering, and the 1070 does finish renders a fair bit faster than the 660.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:14 pm

Is there a problem with AF on FO4 or something? AF is an important setting in terms of image quality but fortunately costs next to no performance so there's really never any reason to not have it maxed out on any game, unless the implementation in that particular game is bugged.
modus0

Postby modus0 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:29 pm

No, just didn't feel it was important enough to actually max out.

The only problematic options I've heard about for FO4 are Shadow Quality/Distance and Godrays. But the 1070 doesn't seem to have an issue with any of those at Ultra.
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:04 pm

Narratorway wrote:I may be receiving over $20,000 by the end of the month.

Looking at my bank account like

4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:36 pm

Is it for a job done, or a job that you need to do. Because if it's the second cue the dread that you will fail the deal.

Also is that Sky?
krellen

Postby krellen » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:13 pm

No one punched me in the throat today.
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:37 pm

4th Dimension wrote:Is it for a job done, or a job that you need to do. Because if it's the second cue the dread that you will fail the deal.

Actually, it's from real estate.

Still have no clue what I'm going to do with it, aside from buy Witcher 3...
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:14 pm

Narratorway wrote:
4th Dimension wrote:Is it for a job done, or a job that you need to do. Because if it's the second cue the dread that you will fail the deal.

Actually, it's from real estate.

Still have no clue what I'm going to do with it, aside from buy Witcher 3...

Ahh, good.

In that case I will try another track.

Ohhhh, if you don't do something productive with that money, you will eat through it. You will think where did all that money go and despair. Ohhhhh. I amd the ghost of the future regrets. Ohhhhhh.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:38 am

Only recently remembered that ADSL2 line profiles are a thing. Years ago (and by "years" I mean almost a decade) I set it to the "low latency" profile recommended for online gaming, which results in 10-20ms better pings, but lowers download speeds. Today I switched it to the "high speed" profile and just like that my download speeds are up 20-30%. That's a fair chunk of time I could have saved over the past few years...
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:25 pm

krellen wrote:No one punched me in the throat today.

Always a good day.

Is this unusual?

I'm not seeing a complementary post in the "unhappy" thread.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:30 pm

Wide And Nerdy wrote:

Always a good day.

Is this unusual?

You didn't look hard enough.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:34 pm

About to go from the Note 4 to the Note 7. Sadly, I cannot afford to buy the Exynos octacore processor but the Snapdragon is supposedly good.

Though it has a lower clock speed than my current Snapdragon. I know clock speed isn't everything in a processor but I wish I could find good info on why the 821 is better than the 805. I think its 14 nm vs the old 28 nm which means more power efficiency right?

That said, looks like a step up overall. Faster RAM and more of it. Supposedly better GPU.

Screen is the same size but its dual edge now. I chickened out of trying this when I got my Note 4 but I'm kind of excited now. I'm enough of a gadget freak that I'm willing to try something new even if proves inconvenient.

Basically, new gadget always makes me happy.

Also this.
http://www.thelocal.se/20160816/pig-mas ... ter-attack

Supahewok wrote:
Wide And Nerdy wrote:

Always a good day.

Is this unusual?

You didn't look hard enough.

And you're right, I only checked the last page which goes back two weeks. I'd have thought that would be enough. Krellen's post sounded more current. I guess I can see how being punched in the throat is going to feel like current events for quite a while.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:21 pm

I've been taking Elysium Basis for probably six weeks now. Its an NAD Booster. And it really seems to be working. I'm extremely sedentary, I have not started exercising and yet I'm feeling improvements as though I have. I also feel a bit sharper, skin feels a little better. A bunch of little things.

Its overpriced but only because if you want to do the work, you can find cheaper sources for its key ingredients. But it does feel like its doing something for me. A placebo wouldn't last this long, and it doesn't feel like a stimulant. This is from noted MIT gerontologist Guarente. Publications note the oddity of him being in this market. It might be the real thing. At the very least, I'm the right guy to try it both because I'm so sedentary that the supposed exercise replicating benefits would be easier to spot in me and because I'm a loser that nobody depends on. I'll be a lab rat for a supplement that might change that.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:52 am

I forgot what thread I was reading for a moment and assumed "Elysium Basis" was some sort of indie game.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:33 pm

Humanoid wrote:I forgot what thread I was reading for a moment and assumed "Elysium Basis" was some sort of indie game.

LOL. Yeah I don't like the name, especially when I'm trying to explain what it is to others. I'm guessing Guarente, being a respected gerontologist, didn't want to go with something like "Rejuvenex" or "Immortium"
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:42 am

Made wordcount.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:12 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW0t6zbAEMo

Golden Balls so called "Weirdest Split or Steal ever." The scenario doesn't quite fit the Prisoner's dilemma since they get to talk but still a very interesting play here. Made me happy.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”