Things that made you happy today (are cool)

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Thomas

Things that made you happy today (are cool)

Postby Thomas » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:04 pm

We've shaken off the Dark Age of Comic Books, dark and gritty is out and the new age of new sincerity is definitely finely sincerely in!

So lets spread some positivity and talk about some of the little things that made you happy today :)

The weather is super gorgeous in Wales(!) at the moment and I took some time off from revision today to just sit in the garden and bask in the sun whilst actual butterflies fluttered around. It was a really nice break from all the stress
Humanoid

Re: Things that made you happy today (are cool)

Postby Humanoid » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:13 pm

I decided to have the day off tomorrow. Happy.

(I'll probably need to spend a fair chunk of it doing housework, but still, beats actual work)
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:42 pm

Ive just finished making a mushroom sauce for my spaghetti.So now it just has to cook,and Ill be really happy.Also stuffed.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:07 pm

I got a job today. That made me pretty happy :p As soon as my degree finishes it's going to be straight into a working life =D
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:06 am

It's Friday.

I hope I don't need to add to that.
dovius

Postby dovius » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:42 pm

Not quite today, but I just made a load of Tiramisu so I can hate my waistline tomorrow.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:31 pm

Also not quite today, I passed my bartender's training test yesterday. I'm rather proud of it. Think its the first thing in my life that I thought of doing by myself, did my own research, then acted on it, paid for it, and completed it, all on my own initiative. Huzzah for adulthood and responsibility.

Plus the damn thing was hard. 12 drinks, called out 3 at a time, that have to be made in under 7 minutes, that can be any of something like 120 recipes. Plus a written test composed of having to write the recipes of 35 drinks from memory and questions on liquor brand identification and history.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:46 pm

Thanks to life is strange Ive remembered that eggs go quite well in omelette form.That made me happy.Though next time,Ill have to make omelette du fromage.
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:28 pm

This might be unacceptably soppy but:
Yesterday, I got home from work to find 17 month old son sat watching his bedtime TV programme with his milk. As I walked in he smiled (beamed really), said 'Hiya' and patted the sofa next to him. Sat down and he leaned into me as he went back to his programme and finished his drink.

You can have a reaaaaaaaally crappy day and then come home to that and suddenly your day seems to be just fine thankyou.

Slight shame about the screaming meltdown when he was then taken up to bed by his mum.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:30 pm

That made less sense when I first read it as 17-year old.
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:01 am

Humanoid wrote:That made less sense when I first read it as 17-year old.

If his mum has her way he'll still be doing the same things at that age too...
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:23 am

Managed not to freak out while at a restaurant in a party that contained two people with my first name (note: my first name is so rare that despite having no middle name, my full name is as far as I can tell globally unique; I'm in my mid-30s and until today had NEVER met a single person who shared my name).

So, yeah, apparently normal people have to cope with hearing their names and it not being them ALL THE TIME. I don't know how y'all do it.
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:37 am

McNutcase wrote:Managed not to freak out while at a restaurant in a party that contained two people with my first name (note: my first name is so rare that despite having no middle name, my full name is as far as I can tell globally unique; I'm in my mid-30s and until today had NEVER met a single person who shared my name).

So, yeah, apparently normal people have to cope with hearing their names and it not being them ALL THE TIME. I don't know how y'all do it.

I once worked in an office with another Graham and a Gareth on the same set of desks. Believe me, you DONT ever stop looking up. We are taught from a very early age to pay attention to a single word above all others. Hearing it out of context all day long gets really old very quickly.

BTW, The first name that comes to mind as one that (by this point) might be unique in the western world would be Adolf.....
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:56 am

Youd think so but I suspect not. There was that incident a few years ago where child services took someones kids away because they'd decided to call them "Adolf Hitler". It was found out when Waitrose refused to make a cake with the words "happy birthday Adolf Hitler" on it.

Thomas is so common I sometimes don't react to my name anymore. I was never in a class in school that didn't have mutiple tom's, my secondary school form class had 4 of us -_-. This is even the first year of uni where I'm not actually living with another thomas
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:46 pm

Thomas wrote:There was that incident a few years ago where child services took someones kids away because they'd decided to call them "Adolf Hitler".

Seriously?Yet they allowed people to name their kids garage,shithead,asshole and abcde.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:06 pm

I'm going to assume the process was a little longer than just seeing the name, but if you see a kid with that name (or any of the ones you mentioned) that seems like a good reason to investigate the parents.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:02 pm

Had a great theater experience,which made the night awesome for me.But then I stepped out to discover there was a warm spring drizzle.So I decided not to get my umbrella out and just stroll in the rain,because I havent done that in a while.Turned the night into a magical one.Its the little things.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Fri May 01, 2015 1:55 am

I remember your name from the Xcom stream, Mr Nutcase McNutcase. I can imagine it being fairly rare in that (nut)case.

That said, the Name of the Year awards are just about to wrap up.

Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue May 05, 2015 1:25 pm

Thanks to Shamoose I found out that s****horpe problem is a thing,so I had a nice laugh at the "think of the children" idiocy.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Tue May 05, 2015 2:57 pm

Well this is more last week or before but because the 100th podcast was late, I downloaded Player.FM and discovered some other gamer podcasts. The really exciting finds came yesterday when found:
1) That I can search for subject matter and find over a hundred podcasts talking about whatever game I want to hear about.
2) That Superbunnyhop does the TOVG podcast (That One Gamer or That One Video Gamer I think). It looks like if you want a preview of whatever his next video is, just listen to what he rambles about this week.

Also enjoying DLC and The Patch (decent blends of discussion and gamer news) and Ludology (long form discussion of a single aspect of game design or game mechanics usually. More in depth.)
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Sat May 16, 2015 3:33 am

I had a day start sour and managed to turn it around to one of the best days I have had since I dropped out of my first university two years ago, both in fun and productivity. Woke up a couple of hours before dawn from a really, REALLY bizarre nightmare. I can't fall back asleep once I've woken up for the day. If I don't get 8 hours after taking a dose of sleep-aid, (which I had) I feel shitfaced the whole day. Or at least, what I imagine a mild hangover would feel like. So, a really bad start.

Rather than lie in bed and accomplish nothing, I got up, turned on my computer, and filled out a job application. Then, after the local schools had started, I went out to buy up supplies for a DnD party tomorrow. I proceeded to clean the house top to bottom, all the while trading emails with an academic advisor to the university I'm transferring to in order to straighten out several problems in the class registration system I've encountered, finally getting signed up for next semester, AND communicating with my DnD group via Facebook to sort out some details about food and timing. About midday, a friend from my first university, who's in town for the summer for an internship, came over to keep me company while I worked. She got me to play a little Path of the Exile after I had finally finished cleaning, before we went out to meet another friend and my best mate from that first university for dinner before they left home for their internships next week. We had a wonderful time. Afterwards, driving my best friend home, we just sat in my car and talked about stuff. Girls. The future. Our dreams. My upcoming Fire Emblem Retrospective. You know, the important things in life. Things I can only talk about with maybe two people in the world.

My father told me that the way you can tell that you've done right in a day is if you can look into a mirror and have no regrets for that day. I'm understanding what he said. Its the best feeling.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Sat May 16, 2015 3:57 am

I play the "imgur game" (i.e. using the site as intended) on occasion (okay, too often, probably). I'm absolutely terrible when it comes to submitting images, but I seem to be pretty decent at the commenting thing. I made a comment this morning (during the "still waking up before starting actual work" phase of work), which got a couple hundred upvotes, which is cool... but apparently got reposted around the internet enough that it knocked the persons site offline. Which isn't saying much, since it's a fairly small site that probably doesn't get much traffic... but that doesn't mean that the power hasn't already gone straight to my head.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Sun May 17, 2015 2:26 pm

Friday I finally beat the last level of Mario 3D Land (the special levels).

That same day I definitively won an argument on the internet receiving an "I'm sorry, I was wrong" from the guy. In Pillars, the cloak of the tireless defender gives a boost to the Constant Recovery ability, but the game's keyword system flagged "Recovery" and gave a description of what that is. The problem is they have nothing to do with each other and I thought this should be changed. I argued with this guy for a while who kept telling me that I was asking for a lot of work to suit my tastes. Eventually I realized he was merely assuming that Constant Recovery is an ability that affects Recovery, so I explained the misunderstanding and he capitulated. Usually the best I get is some small concession on finer points (thats all I expect).

Then I wrote a functional script in pure Javascript. It was a simple one, style a toolbar button differently if it links to the current url. Usually use JQuery but I can't upload the files for it to this environment and I can't use a CDN because it would break the site whenever the proxy fails (we have a couple of proxies, one is completely out of our control). I really should use pure Javascript more often.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue May 19, 2015 10:04 pm

I cooked this today
https://twospoons.wordpress.com/2011/04 ... room-past/

Which was completely lush. So happy :)
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Wed May 20, 2015 2:00 pm

Found out my son is apparently a superhero... his superpower is resisting (not quite) boiling liquid without injury to his skin.

Somehow he's managed to climb a sofa and a side table to get to a cup of tea, carry it back to the sofa and then drop it all over himself. Absolutely no lasting injury, not a mark on him....

Not sure what his hero name would be, or how he could use this to help humanity?

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”